Anti-depressant prescriptions soar in New Zealand

Jun 8, 2009 Full story: Tvnz.co.nz 15

New Zealanders are taking a record number of anti-depressants. The drug funding agency Pharmac says doctors wrote 1.2 million prescriptions last year and that figure has doubled in seven years.

Full Story
HumanSpirit

Melrose, FL

#1 Jun 8, 2009
New Zealand is no different then the global conquest of the mental health and pharmaceutical industry is the drugging of Great Britain, America, Canada, France, the Scandinavian countries and Australia. There is political motive.

“CO$ sucks and DM swallows!”

Since: Nov 08

Dunellen, NJ

#2 Jun 9, 2009
HumanSpirit wrote:
New Zealand is no different then the global conquest of the mental health and pharmaceutical industry is the drugging of Great Britain, America, Canada, France, the Scandinavian countries and Australia. There is political motive.
No political motive- just a CO$ agenda of trying to smear the mental health industry...
HumanSpirit

Melrose, FL

#3 Jun 10, 2009
Not a Scientologist.

This article is not based on any religious point of view and your posting is off topic and diverting of the subject matter.

Google mental health anyone of the countries listed above and there hundred of articles. Great Britain has laws as of 2005 in dispensing anti depressant drugs to persons under 18.

The FDA has black lined warning on the drugs.

“CO$ sucks and DM swallows!”

Since: Nov 08

Dunellen, NJ

#4 Jun 10, 2009
HumanSpirit wrote:
Not a Scientologist.
This article is not based on any religious point of view and your posting is off topic...
Oh, but your CO$- based claims of it being political, and an agenda of the mental health industry is on topic? Methinks not...
Beatlesinthebog

Christchurch, New Zealand

#5 Jun 10, 2009
WH..........a..........t...... ....d..........ru..........g.. ........s..........
Beatlesinthebog

Christchurch, New Zealand

#6 Jun 10, 2009
...?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#8 Jan 31, 2014
Well I too might think there was some sort of conspiracy going on where doctors where receiving some special incentives to prescribe these drugs for people...

But I have just returned to NZ after being away several years and I have to say it does not look any better than when I left. In fact it looks a lot worse. We seem to have opened up the boarders to all the riff raff from around the world, and told them to come live with us so we can look after them, while they turn around and make our country look like a third world shite hole.

The sight of some of these towel heads walking around with their big old burqas draped over them looking like gangs of Grim Reapers on the war path does little to inspire confidence in where we are heading as a nation.

Considering the what NZ is starting to look like, I am not surprised people are turning to anti-depressants.
william

Seattle, WA

#9 Jan 31, 2014
Antidepressants are a ripoff and adiccitive.If u are taking some long term-be prepared or horrible withdrawals wich can be fatal!
MR BEASTLYSS

Edison, NJ

#10 Jan 31, 2014
Maybe the issue should be why are people depressed , have we grown into a Namby Pamby society with to much time and entertainment .
As an old guy now long dead once said to me when i broached the same subject '' we were to busy trying to put food on the table to be depressed''
a bit of twisted logic , but logic none the less if you look at it.
Beady Beady Malbar lover

Bogotá, Colombia

#11 Jan 31, 2014
Kiwis are depressed from all the inbreeding that has gone on for centuries. Nature is trying to make Kiwis kill themselves in an attempt to rid the world of this crappy little nation.
humanSpirit

Interlachen, FL

#12 Feb 2, 2014
Mad Dog 54 wrote:
<quoted text>No political motive- just a CO$ agenda of trying to smear the mental health industry...
The mental health did a great job (to date) of smearing themselves killing and mentally compromising lots of people except their political costituants...don't you think? How about that DSM of pure horse manure and the mind drugging of the returning GI's. NO WONDER the outcry over on the med schools in the Caribbean island and the input of deploma mill doctors into the USA at the cost of the American taxpayer thanks to the Republican (ALEC) scam of things.
Beastly

San Jose, CA

#15 Feb 16, 2014
JerrySpringerRoom wrote:
On the whole Kiwis are mentally unstable people they are wack jobs.
Damm straight they are , when they threaten to hunt you down and bash your skull in because you do not toe their political line or agree with them sez a lot about the mental instability of the people , the Constant name calling and Cussing is over the top , one cannot have a debate without them wanting to duke it out with you because of the misconceived belief that you have insulted their manhood because your opinion was different to theirs, yes i would say that the mental health reflects and affects the Economy of NZ as the populace has lost hope and are resigned to their fate.
Beastly

San Jose, CA

#17 Feb 16, 2014
JerrySpringerRoom wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude are you are NZer?
Not Guilty mi lord.
James Sands

Hamilton, New Zealand

#18 Feb 16, 2014
Beastly wrote:
<quoted text>
Damm straight they are , when they threaten to hunt you down and bash your skull in because you do not toe their political line or agree with them sez a lot about the mental instability of the people , the Constant name calling and Cussing is over the top , one cannot have a debate without them wanting to duke it out with you because of the misconceived belief that you have insulted their manhood because your opinion was different to theirs, yes i would say that the mental health reflects and affects the Economy of NZ as the populace has lost hope and are resigned to their fate.
Fcuken hypocrite!!!! YOU are the one who abuses people who dont agree with you. As for the bash, you deserve it. How you cant see the hypocricy of your posts is unbelievable!!! As for debate, to do this with you is impossible as you dont answer questions put to you, you just abuse and hide behind a computer screen.....but your day is coming and coming soon.
CONCERNED CITIZEN

Auckland, New Zealand

#19 Feb 16, 2014
Would just like to advise that some posters on this forum have been consumers at Auckland DHB Adult Acute Mental Health Unit where they were treated for Bipolar disorder , treatment is ongoing .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Depression Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Adolescents exhibiting symptoms of mental disor... Fri HumanSpirit 1
Art Therapy May Help Kids With Behavior Problems Jan 18 humanspirit 1
Is depression curable? Of course it is Jan 15 humanspirit 4
6 Tips Towards Choosing an Antidepressant (Apr '09) Jan 14 KylieG 35
A brief history of my fight against depression Jan 12 HumanSpirit 4
Brain Scans Promise Better Depression Treatment Jan 11 humanspirit 2
How long before feeling the effects of Zoloft (... (Jun '14) Jan 11 KylieG 48
More from around the web