Take a mind-body approach to treating...

Take a mind-body approach to treating depression, anxiety

There are 17 comments on the Times-Transcript story from Mar 3, 2010, titled Take a mind-body approach to treating depression, anxiety. In it, Times-Transcript reports that:

Depression and anxiety are common mood disorders affecting many Canadians. It can be debilitating, but it is treatable.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times-Transcript.

Bonny Childers

Albemarle, NC

#1 Mar 6, 2010
I agree mind-body approaches for overcoming anxiety and depression are best and seldom are there any side effects. Here are some additional mind-body tips for overcoming depression and anxiety:
http://www.emoclear.com/depression.htm
http://www.emoclear.com/anxiety.htm

Since: Sep 07

La Quinta, CA

#2 Mar 6, 2010
Bonny Childers wrote:
I agree mind-body approaches for overcoming anxiety and depression are best and seldom are there any side effects. Here are some additional mind-body tips for overcoming depression and anxiety:
http://www.emoclear.com/depression.htm
http://www.emoclear.com/anxiety.htm
There is a significant difference between someone who is depressed and someone who has clinical depression.

If your dog dies, you are depressed. It is the proper emotional response to the situation.

If you suffer from clinical depression your body chemistry doesn't produce enough of a particular substance.

Saying that people can get over clinical depression is _EXACTLY_ like telling diabetics to man up and produce more insulin.
alison

Kraków, Poland

#3 Mar 11, 2010
i believe that great help is meditation music. Has anyone heard about alphamusic? if not you should read more about this. It is increadibly useful tool to fight depression and anxiety. Trust me , i am very sceptical person when it comes to such things unless i try it for myslef and see it works

http://www.silenceofmusic.com
Bonny Childers

Albemarle, NC

#5 Mar 21, 2010
"If you suffer from clinical depression your body chemistry doesn't produce enough of a particular substance.Saying that people can get over clinical depression is _EXACTLY_ like telling diabetics to man up and produce more insulin." Nuggin

Sorry, but many people overcome clinical depression through cognitive behavioral approaches, Interpersonal Therapy, exercise and so forth. ALL of them effect brain chemistry in a large way. Many people have overcome
clinical depression. Lots of peer reviewed research shows very clearly that clinical depression is not a kiss of death.

La Quinta, CA

#6 Mar 22, 2010
Bonny Childers wrote:
"If you suffer from clinical depression your body chemistry doesn't produce enough of a particular substance.Saying that people can get over clinical depression is _EXACTLY_ like telling diabetics to man up and produce more insulin." Nuggin
Sorry, but many people overcome clinical depression through cognitive behavioral approaches, Interpersonal Therapy, exercise and so forth. ALL of them effect brain chemistry in a large way. Many people have overcome
clinical depression. Lots of peer reviewed research shows very clearly that clinical depression is not a kiss of death.
No one is saying that it is the kiss of death.

However, taking an anecdotal story about my family, let's have a look:

My grandfather was a dairy farmer. He got outrageous amounts of exercise, sun, fresh food he grew himself, plenty of milk, etc. Clinically depressed.

My father is a psychologist. He grew up on the farm, but now enjoys fancy meals, wines, gourmet, etc. He gets some exercise, but not nearly as much his father at his age. Clinical depression.

My sister is a vegetarian and a lawyer. She gets little exercise, doesn't spend much time outdoors. Clinical depression.

My brother is a mountain climber in Colorado. He gets outrageous amounts of exercise but eats poorly. Clinical depression.

I am a screenwriter in Hollywood. I get no exercise and eat mostly junk. Clinical depression.

CLEARLY given this family history you can not conclude that changes in diet or behavior would have had any effect on the biochemistry. We've got the FULL range of both and have the same results.

Yes, SOME people get depressed because they don't like their job or their cat died or they don't have a boyfriend. Those people are NOT clinically depressed. They are just sad.
carol

Greensboro, NC

#8 Mar 29, 2010
Bonny Childers wrote:
im sorry i disagree with you very much. I am a server manic depressent, rapit cycly bipolar, an long with much more and a insulin depend diabetic. My life sucks! I fight myself everyday, not to blow my head off. i am trapped in a body that is fulled with hell himself. the only reason i still breath is i have two great sons an there only parent. i can't put them through that, so i live. medication has done very little for me, and i have been on a lot. theray, nothing. i stay in bed sometime for weeks, my sons taken care of me for now. do i want to live like this! i could type all day and never tell you it all
Cathi

Saint Paul, MN

#9 May 30, 2010
I think it can be risky to use judgments and "one size fits all" approach to what anyone is challenged with physically, emotionally, or spiritually.

For me, I have found that the key is to find what works best for that particular person. To find what brings that particular person the most balance.

Even for all the drugs that are out there to help with various medical conditions, each person has their own individual reaction to them, so even within those approaches there is some trial and error.

Sacred humans do our best given what we understand and the skills we have...

Cathi
http://www.controlmystress.com
Constance

AOL

#10 May 30, 2010
carol wrote:
<quoted text> im sorry i disagree with you very much. I am a server manic depressent, rapit cycly bipolar, an long with much more and a insulin depend diabetic. My life sucks! I fight myself everyday, not to blow my head off. i am trapped in a body that is fulled with hell himself. the only reason i still breath is i have two great sons an there only parent. i can't put them through that, so i live. medication has done very little for me, and i have been on a lot. theray, nothing. i stay in bed sometime for weeks, my sons taken care of me for now. do i want to live like this! i could type all day and never tell you it all
Carol...bless your heart! I can relate to everything you've said except the diabetes. I had REALLY severe panic attacks, as well as deep dark depression.

I too was the only parent of three sons. Believe me when I say I truly wanted to end it all, but like you.. couldn't because of my kids. Meds didn't help. not therapy or anything else. For me, it turned out to be a spiritual problem. Something very few address, but it's very real nevertheless.

Constance
Liksya

San Jose, CA

#11 Oct 7, 2011
Anxiety and depression problems have treatments such as medical intake and talk therapy but you should consult your doctor on this especially before taking any medicines. You should also watch out for the harmful side effects of antidepressant drugs like Paxil such as suicide, sexual problems, psychosis, birth defects, sleeping and eating disorders and abnormal personality changes. The website http://www.paxilbirthdefectlaw.com can help you learn more about this to avoid any unfortunate incidents.
Shanti

Las Vegas, NV

#12 Oct 10, 2011
I was doing Yoga, was a vegetarian for years and never ate junk. I meditated regularly and exercised. I was very much into my physical and spiritual health. I'm actually a spiritual counselor. I know that these things help with mood, but I agree there is a difference with clinical depression and just being unhappy. I don't know what else I could have done "right".

I believe I am just someone that will need supplements. I am going to go the natural route this time though. St. John's Wort, Valerian, and Homeopathy.

La Quinta, CA

#13 Oct 15, 2011
Shanti wrote:
I was doing Yoga, was a vegetarian for years and never ate junk. I meditated regularly and exercised. I was very much into my physical and spiritual health. I'm actually a spiritual counselor. I know that these things help with mood, but I agree there is a difference with clinical depression and just being unhappy. I don't know what else I could have done "right".
I believe I am just someone that will need supplements. I am going to go the natural route this time though. St. John's Wort, Valerian, and Homeopathy.
Shanti, take it from a veteran. Don't.

The "natural route" is just marketing. If you take St. John's Wort, you are taking it because it contains a certain chemical. There's nothing "magic" about the plant. It produces a specific chemical which has a specific reaction with your biochemistry.

The only difference between taking St. John's Wort and a produced anti-depressant is that there's absolutely no regulation protecting you with the St. John's Wort.

They don't need to test to see if the Wort grown in field A has more or less of the chemical than the Wort grown in field B. They don't have to test to see what additional chemicals are accidentally being included.

So, you can either take the same dose of the same medicine and no additional components
-or-
You can take a random potency of the same chemical that's in the medicine but it may contain an unknown number of other chemicals in unknown quantities.

That's dangerous.

On the flip side, homeopathy isn't dangerous at all. It's just "magic water" that does absolutely nothing.

If anyone actually bothered to explain to you how homeopaths do their job, you'd be embarrassed for even considering it.
FBOMBER

Flin Flon, Canada

#14 Oct 16, 2011
carol wrote:
<quoted text> im sorry i disagree with you very much. I am a server manic depressent, rapit cycly bipolar, an long with much more and a insulin depend diabetic. My life sucks! I fight myself everyday, not to blow my head off. i am trapped in a body that is fulled with hell himself. the only reason i still breath is i have two great sons an there only parent. i can't put them through that, so i live. medication has done very little for me, and i have been on a lot. theray, nothing. i stay in bed sometime for weeks, my sons taken care of me for now. do i want to live like this! i could type all day and never tell you it all
Have you been vaccinated? Get flu shots that contain ethylmercury, formaldehyde and aluminum?
Mark

Conder, Australia

#15 Oct 16, 2011
Formaldehyde – a simple organic chemical made of hydrogen, oxygen and carbon — is a widespread and natural constituent of all living systems, from bacteria and fish to rodents and humans.

Due to its importance in various metabolic processes, formaldehyde is naturally present in the human body with concentrations of approximately one to two parts per million (ppm) in blood.

The evolutionary process had to include a way to ensure that formaldehyde’s inherent toxicity could be controlled. Certain enzymes… convert formaldehyde that is formed continuously in various biological processes to formate, which is less reactive and, therefore, less toxic… to keep formaldehyde from reaching concentrations that are toxic to cells.
Mark

Conder, Australia

#16 Oct 16, 2011
Fish and shellfish have a natural tendency to concentrate mercury in their bodies, often in the form of methylmercury, a highly toxic organic compound of mercury. Species of fish that are high on the food chain, such as shark, swordfish, king mackerel, albacore tuna, and tilefish contain higher concentrations of mercury than others. As mercury and methylmercury are fat soluble, they primarily accumulate in the viscera, although they are also found throughout the muscle tissue.[95] When this fish is consumed by a predator, the mercury level is accumulated. Since fish are less efficient at depurating than accumulating methylmercury, fish-tissue concentrations increase over time. Thus species that are high on the food chain amass body burdens of mercury that can be ten times higher than the species they consume. This process is called biomagnification. Mercury poisoning happened this way in Minamata, Japan, now called Minamata disease.

Mercury in the form of one of its common ores, cinnabar, is used in various traditional medicines, especially in traditional Chinese medicine. Review of its safety has found cinnabar can lead to significant mercury intoxication when heated, consumed in overdose or taken long term, and can have adverse effects at therapeutic doses, though this is typically reversible at therapeutic doses. Although this form of mercury appears less toxic than others, its use in traditional Chinese medicine has not yet been justified as the therapeutic basis for the use of cinnabar is not clear.
Adewale Ademuyiwa

Kirkby In Ashfield, UK

#18 Oct 17, 2011
Mind and body approaches to treating depression often look deceptively simple. As such many people fail to take them seriously. People often seem to expect the solutions to depression to be complicated.
My experience has however proven that thechniques that cater for the mind and body, When practiced over and over, often bring people to full recovery.
http://www.stresstherapist.net/what-to-do-whe...
http://www.stresstherapist.net/overcome-depre...
Felicia Hobbs

San Jose, CA

#19 Dec 29, 2011
It is very important to identify depression or anxiety at an early stage. Coping strategies like doing exercise, eating healthily, and talking with family and friends can easily help. In some cases, antidepressants may be prescribed by physicians. However, patients’ development after taking antidepressants should be closely monitored, since these drugs can also cause debilitating effects. In fact, Paxil, one of the most commonly prescribed drugs for depression, has been linked to a number of complications.
http://www.paxilbirthdefectlaw.com/paxil-laws...
Matthew
#23 Sep 23, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Depression Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is shock therapy making a comeback? May 18 Its reality 1
News Study about 'shock therapy' for depression sugg... May 10 Its reality 1
News Widespread sex addiction worsening depression a... Apr '18 Xstain Fumblement... 5
News Few kids receiving mental health care - Zeni (Jul '08) Mar '18 Early Onset Conse... 25
News So... are we just supposed to wait until he hit... Mar '18 HumanSpirit 1
News Diabetes Complications: What's Your Risk? (Jun '07) Mar '18 Jesus Pimpsoul 5
News Canadian military veteran changing mental healt... Mar '18 needed 1