Study Counters Warnings on Quit-Smoki...

Study Counters Warnings on Quit-Smoking Drug

There are 86 comments on the Mental Help Net story from Oct 3, 2009, titled Study Counters Warnings on Quit-Smoking Drug. In it, Mental Help Net reports that:

The smoking cessation drug varenicline does not increase the risk for self-harm or depression, according to a new British study.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Mental Help Net.

mazed

Campbellsville, KY

#21 Oct 5, 2009
What puzzles me is that, with all this hyperbole and hysteriamongering, no one has pointed out that this study was comparing those who were prescribed two relatively new cessation products to those who were prescribed nicotine replacement therapies.

This was not a test against the general population, or even the average smoker. Everyone included in this study had enough trouble quitting that they turned to their doctors for prescriptions.

As to Pfizer's failure to test Chantix on people with mental illnesses, one of those is part of the package you get with nicotine addiction.

“Just Say No to Smoking Bans”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#22 Oct 5, 2009
mazed wrote:
As to Pfizer's failure to test Chantix on people with mental illnesses, one of those is part of the package you get with nicotine addiction.
As usual, you deny the problem with Chantix by diverting the attention to a different substance. We are not talking about cigarettes in this thread. We are talking about the attempted coverup of the threat of Chanticide.
mazed

Campbellsville, KY

#23 Oct 5, 2009
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual, you deny the problem with Chantix by diverting the attention to a different substance. We are not talking about cigarettes in this thread. We are talking about the attempted coverup of the threat of Chanticide.
No, we are talking about the lack of definitive proof of the problem. The purpose of the product and the circumstances under which the hypothetical problem arises put nicotine addiction right at the heart of the discussion.

You attempt to decree discussion closed and demand that everyone accept your basic premise as a baseline for going forward.

Fascist.
Freedom

Niles, MI

#24 Oct 5, 2009
mazed wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we are talking about the lack of definitive proof of the problem. The purpose of the product and the circumstances under which the hypothetical problem arises put nicotine addiction right at the heart of the discussion.
You attempt to decree discussion closed and demand that everyone accept your basic premise as a baseline for going forward.
Fascist.
Oh good lord.

You come here defending the new fascists for Pete's sake.

Your beloved fascists at big pharma are among the worst of the worst.

You do know big pharma just cut a dirty deal with fearless leader...right? They even promised a propaganda campaign that will spend more than McCain did in the last election in support of fearless leaders plans for healthcare.

Tell us...when corporate and state combine to push an agenda...what form of government does this best represent?

Hhhhmmmm.

Imagine that...a fascist calling others fascists.

Location hidden

#25 Oct 5, 2009
mazed wrote:
<quoted text>
Fascist.
OK Then, you suggest Chantix to someone you love to quit smoking. As for me, I would never touch the stuff, and I would certainly not suggest it to anyone I cared about.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#26 Oct 5, 2009
Frankly I think "mazed" should get on a plane with a pilot rebelling against the FAA ban on Chantix use for its pilots.

Since it's "so safe" mazed, find that rebel pilot, take the flight and report back to us.
Time to quit

AOL

#27 Oct 5, 2009
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
OK Then, you suggest Chantix to someone you love to quit smoking. As for me, I would never touch the stuff, and I would certainly not suggest it to anyone I cared about.
I would definitely suggest Chantix for someone I loved who continued to smoke despite repeated efforts to stop. I know several people who have used Chantix to successfully quit smoking. I also know several people who used Chantix, but were unable to quit. One of the people that was unable to quit has COPD, heart disease, schizophrenia and diabetes. That person did not experience any negative effects from Chantix despite asking his doctor and recieing permission to go to the maximum dosage allowed for Chantix. I also know people who have quit using nicotine replacement therapy and people who have quit using hypnosis and people who have quit through nicotine anonymous http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/ and people who have quit cold turkey. The flip side of the coin is that I have also known quite a few people who have died from cancer or heart disease at a relatively young age after smoking for 35 to 40 years. Smoking most definitely kills people. Smoking robs grandchildren of the opportunity to spend time with their grandparents. Quitting smoking is the best thing that a person could do for themselves and thier loved ones. Chantix is one avenue among many that can be used for that purpose. Every good thing has a negative side effect. Pregnant women in the U.S. die at the rate of 12 per 100,000 live births. They experience gestational diabetes at a rate of 12%, which is also an indicator of diabetes later in life. Does this mean that women should NOT get pregnant? Of course not. What it does mean is that women who become pregnant should be under a doctor's care. The same holds true for a smoker. A smoker who is quitting needs to be under a doctors care and this is especially true when using medications such as Chantix or NRT.

When you are able to quit smoking, you are more than welcome to come back here and tell everyone else how to do it. Until then, you have nothing of value to tell anyone who is considering quitting the death causing consumption of tobacco products.
Time to quit

AOL

#28 Oct 5, 2009
Freedom wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh good lord.
You come here defending the new fascists for Pete's sake.
Your beloved fascists at big pharma are among the worst of the worst.
You do know big pharma just cut a dirty deal with fearless leader...right? They even promised a propaganda campaign that will spend more than McCain did in the last election in support of fearless leaders plans for healthcare.
Tell us...when corporate and state combine to push an agenda...what form of government does this best represent?
Hhhhmmmm.
Imagine that...a fascist calling others fascists.
I would not recommend Chantix for you. I would not recommend nicotine replacement therapy. I would not recommend hypnosis or accupuncture for you. I would not recommend cold turkey for you. Those are all methods that people I know have used to quit. I would recommend any of those methids to someone I care about rather than see them die a lingering death from cancer. You, on the other hand, I would rather see continue smoking until smoking catches up with you. That way you do not have to worry about big pharma. Stay away from the heart medications, and if you should happen to get cancer, stay away from the medications approved for that. Go ahead and use Laetril. They still administer it in Mexico. If you should get COPD, stay away from the inhalers. Those inhalers make you live longer so you continue buying the medication for longer and make more money for big pharma. We definitely would not want that to happen, now would we?

Location hidden

#29 Oct 5, 2009
Time to quit wrote:
<quoted text>
I would definitely suggest Chantix for someone I loved who continued to smoke despite repeated efforts to stop. I know several people who have used Chantix to successfully quit smoking. I also know several people who used Chantix, but were unable to quit. One of the people that was unable to quit has COPD, heart disease, schizophrenia and diabetes. That person did not experience any negative effects from Chantix despite asking his doctor and recieing permission to go to the maximum dosage allowed for Chantix. I also know people who have quit using nicotine replacement therapy and people who have quit using hypnosis and people who have quit through nicotine anonymous http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/ and people who have quit cold turkey. The flip side of the coin is that I have also known quite a few people who have died from cancer or heart disease at a relatively young age after smoking for 35 to 40 years. Smoking most definitely kills people. Smoking robs grandchildren of the opportunity to spend time with their grandparents. Quitting smoking is the best thing that a person could do for themselves and thier loved ones. Chantix is one avenue among many that can be used for that purpose. Every good thing has a negative side effect. Pregnant women in the U.S. die at the rate of 12 per 100,000 live births. They experience gestational diabetes at a rate of 12%, which is also an indicator of diabetes later in life. Does this mean that women should NOT get pregnant? Of course not. What it does mean is that women who become pregnant should be under a doctor's care. The same holds true for a smoker. A smoker who is quitting needs to be under a doctors care and this is especially true when using medications such as Chantix or NRT.
When you are able to quit smoking, you are more than welcome to come back here and tell everyone else how to do it. Until then, you have nothing of value to tell anyone who is considering quitting the death causing consumption of tobacco products.
Glad I am not anyone you know. As for me being welcome to come back and say whatever the F I want to, I don't believe you have any say in that. Value is in the eye of the beholder. For instance, I see no value in you. You are welcome to take Chantix. Just go ahead and try it as an experiment. You can take it even if you are not a smoker. I hear it has a special effect on those with mental illness.
Time to quit

AOL

#30 Oct 5, 2009
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad I am not anyone you know. As for me being welcome to come back and say whatever the F I want to, I don't believe you have any say in that. Value is in the eye of the beholder. For instance, I see no value in you. You are welcome to take Chantix. Just go ahead and try it as an experiment. You can take it even if you are not a smoker. I hear it has a special effect on those with mental illness.
So tell me. How did YOU quit smoking. Give us YOUR experience so you can help others to quit smoking?

What???????

You haven't quit smoking????????

You are still using a drug that kills over 400,000 people a year and comparing smoking as a GOOD THING when compared to a drug that had less than 1000 reported complaints????????

Doesn't sound like you are the brightest bulb on the tree, now does it???????

Go ahead. Keep on smoking then. Don't use Chantix to quit. Hopefully that will improve the average intelligence of America real soon.
Freedom

Niles, MI

#31 Oct 5, 2009
Time to quit wrote:
<quoted text>
A smoker who is quitting needs to be under a doctors care and this is especially true when using medications such as Chantix or NRT.
I quit smoking for 2 years around 15 years ago by cutting down day by day for about a month. No doctor needed or desired by the way as there was nothing wrong with me that needed any kind of an expert.

Now as for your heroes at big pharma...yes I consider them dangerous fascists who are pushing an agenda that recently took another turn for the worst. Their agenda is far more dangerous than any pill ever invented.

You may have your head in the sand...but do you actually deny your comrades at big pharma just cut a really dirty deal with the Whitehouse?

The Nazis made some pretty amazing advances in medicine not so long ago. Given our current path it would appear that history is simply repeating itself even as medical science advances.

Did you also know almost half of the doctors in Germany joined the Nazi party?
Time to quit

AOL

#32 Oct 5, 2009
Freedom wrote:
<quoted text>
I quit smoking for 2 years around 15 years ago by cutting down day by day for about a month. No doctor needed or desired by the way as there was nothing wrong with me that needed any kind of an expert.
Now as for your heroes at big pharma...yes I consider them dangerous fascists who are pushing an agenda that recently took another turn for the worst. Their agenda is far more dangerous than any pill ever invented.
You may have your head in the sand...but do you actually deny your comrades at big pharma just cut a really dirty deal with the Whitehouse?
The Nazis made some pretty amazing advances in medicine not so long ago. Given our current path it would appear that history is simply repeating itself even as medical science advances.
Did you also know almost half of the doctors in Germany joined the Nazi party?
Actually, you did NOT quit smoking, otherwise you would not be smoking today. Be that as it may, I said you should go ahead and continue to smoke. As a matter of fact, you should smoke more than you do now. Lots more. You do not need to go see a doctor. They will only tell you to quit smoking. They do not have your best interest at heart. They want you to live longer so that they can make more money off of you. That just is not fair. Well, you can show them. Go ahead. Light another one up right now. No one is telling you not to smoke right now. Enjoy that smoke. inhale it as deeply as you can so you can get the maximum amount of that wonderful nicotine in your system. Now go ahead and have another drag off of that cigarette. You need to practice for the time when the only cigarettes available will be the Fire Safe kind. We wouldn't want it to go out in the middle of the smoke, now would we? So go ahead. Get that nicotine coursing through your viens so you can feel good again. Get it flowing to your nrain so you do not feel the anxiety of not having nicotine in your system. You know, the more you smoke, the less that anxiety will bother you, so go ahead and light up yet another ciggie. We all know that smoking will not hurt you. In fact, smoking will extend your life. Go ahead and smoke four packs a day. That way you will live to be 125 and still be able to run a mile in under 4 minutes.

Location hidden

#33 Oct 5, 2009
Time to quit wrote:
<quoted text>
So tell me. How did YOU quit smoking. Give us YOUR experience so you can help others to quit smoking?
What???????
You haven't quit smoking????????
You are still using a drug that kills over 400,000 people a year and comparing smoking as a GOOD THING when compared to a drug that had less than 1000 reported complaints????????
Doesn't sound like you are the brightest bulb on the tree, now does it???????
Go ahead. Keep on smoking then. Don't use Chantix to quit. Hopefully that will improve the average intelligence of America real soon.
Nope, I did not quit and don't intend to. As for Chantix, I'm hoping it goes from BlackBox to the dump after the class actions. I do know some people who tried it. They quit smoking....for three months. When the Chantix was gone, they returned to smoking. Luckily, they did not commit suicide. It was difficult to live with the nausea and terrifying dreams. So, how does Chantix measure its success? If my friends quit smoking for three months while using it, are they considered successes even though they went back to smoking after quitting Chantix? Why don't you give it a try? You could volunteer for human testing just to see if the side effects are anything to worry about. I don't think it will matter that you don't smoke. You will probably just lose the ability to feel any pleasure for the rest of your life.
Time to quit

AOL

#34 Oct 5, 2009
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I did not quit and don't intend to. As for Chantix, I'm hoping it goes from BlackBox to the dump after the class actions. I do know some people who tried it. They quit smoking....for three months. When the Chantix was gone, they returned to smoking. Luckily, they did not commit suicide. It was difficult to live with the nausea and terrifying dreams. So, how does Chantix measure its success? If my friends quit smoking for three months while using it, are they considered successes even though they went back to smoking after quitting Chantix? Why don't you give it a try? You could volunteer for human testing just to see if the side effects are anything to worry about. I don't think it will matter that you don't smoke. You will probably just lose the ability to feel any pleasure for the rest of your life.
I quit smoking years ago. That means that I am able to feel more pleasure for years to come. When I have grandchildren, I will be able to be a part of their life. I am able to go on extended backpacking trips today because I quit smoking and it is no longer a major task to get up and down mountains. Of course, you would not know anything about that because you still smoke.
Time to quit

AOL

#35 Oct 5, 2009
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
Now as far as Chantix goes- ANY drug has side effects. Take nicotine, for example. It is the addictive agent in tobacco products. Tobacco products kill over 400,000 people per year. Of course, that number pales in comparisson to the almost 1000 people who reported side effects from Chantix, the vast majority of whom did not die.
Given the choice between continuing to smoke and not wanting to and taking Chantix, I would take Chantix, hands down. Smoking would rob me of the ability to run, to hike, to enjoy hunting- it takes a lot to get that deer dressed and back to the truck. Many of the things I do today, I would not be able to do if I smoked.
Smoking is a definite killer. Smoking kills. There is no doubt about that. Nicotine use results in addiction, both physiological and psychological. Nicotine withdrawal causes depression, anxiety,
some of the other symptoms include:
•Cravings to smoke
•Irritable, cranky
•Insomnia
•Fatigue
•Inability to Concentrate
•Headache
•Cough
•Sore throat
•Constipation, gas, stomach pain
•Dry mouth
•Sore tongue and/or gums
•Postnasal drip
•Tightness in the chest
Gee. Some of those sound exactly like the side effects of Chantix.
"The most common side effects include nausea (30%), sleep problems, constipation, gas, and/or vomiting. If you have side effects that bother you or don’t go away, tell your doctor.
You may have trouble sleeping, vivid, unusual, or strange dreams while taking CHANTIX."
Now, as a rule when one takes drugs, the benefits need to outweigh the risks. The risks associated with smoking are far worse than the risks associated with taking Chantix. One out of three smokers will die as a direct result of smoking. Can you say the same for Chantix?
Again, so there is no mistake, you are a bitter smoker, afraid of anything that you see will reduce the number of smokers. You do not want to reduce the number of teen smokers so you have come out against any and all programs designed to do that. You do not want anyone who currently smokes to quit smoking so you have come out against any and all programs designed to do that. You are in the minority and it scares you that your minority is growing smaller each and every day as more people quit smoking, more smokers die off and not enough young people start smoking to make up the difference. There was a time in this country where almost half of the adult males smoked, but that time has long since passed.
Time to quit

AOL

#36 Oct 5, 2009
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
In 20 years, if you are so lucky to be around after having abused your body for so long with such a destructive product as cigarettes, you will find that less than 10% of the population smokes and it will be unacceptable to do so in almost any place but a privately owned home. Of course, you will probably wish for death then because you will not want to give up your lifelong companions that you chose over family and friends, your cigarettes.

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#37 Oct 5, 2009
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it interesting that this "two-fold risk increase" is not a concern where it applies to Pfizer, yet there is an outrage over electronic cigarettes and shs. What is the risk increase of shs anyway? I know that as of now there is no risk increase for e cigs, yet Pfizer wants them banned. Why is that?
The outrage for the e-ciggy may be due to the like product that big pharma had by prescription several years ago..it was supposed to be their miracle, don't know what happened to it

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Location hidden

#38 Oct 5, 2009
Sheri wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I did not quit and don't intend to. As for Chantix, I'm hoping it goes from BlackBox to the dump
the dump is too good for it. It sent my daughter in law to the er, another doctor had given it to her and after er, her family doctor told her its safer to smoke

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Location hidden

#39 Oct 5, 2009
I would not give or recommend chantix to my worse enemy, Isn't it banned for pilots, truck and bus drivers?
Freedom

Reedsville, WI

#40 Oct 5, 2009
Time to quit wrote:
<quoted text>In 20 years, if you are so lucky to be around after having abused your body for so long with such a destructive product as cigarettes, you will find that less than 10% of the population smokes and it will be unacceptable to do so in almost any place but a privately owned home. Of course, you will probably wish for death then because you will not want to give up your lifelong companions that you chose over family and friends, your cigarettes.
You must be Carry Nation's reincarnation! Holy smokes....
----------

http://www.twainquotes.com/CarrieNation2.jpg

“I want all hellions to quit puffing that hell fume in God's clean air.”

“I felt invincible. My strength was that of a giant. God was certainly standing by me. I smashed five saloons with rocks before I ever took a hatchet.”
Carry Nation
---------

Seriously...do you really think self righteous moral busybodies such as yourself are actually something new?

Just as all of the self righteous fools who came before you....you too shall fail. Since your kind never figures this out...history repeats itself once again.

Those who forget the past will repeat it. Those who deny the past should be feared.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Depression Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News When There's No Therapist, How Can The Depresse... 20 hr misbehaved 26
botcho cream for buttocks/hip enlargment (Sep '12) Jan 13 Trina 40
Can ugly people be loved? (Mar '10) Jan 4 Space ace 44
Does Depression Qualify Your For Social Securit... (Sep '12) Jan 3 TipsyFromCentralC... 5
News Depression symptoms are common among active air... Dec '16 Stephen Boylan 1
News Most adults with depression aren't treated, stu... Dec '16 caggi 3
News Newsreader Mark Austin reveals daughter's battl... Dec '16 ANOREXIA VACCINES 1
More from around the web