Is Quitting a DRAG?

Is Quitting a DRAG?

There are 48 comments on the GoErie.com story from Jan 12, 2009, titled Is Quitting a DRAG?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Jim Jackson knows this could be his last chance. A smoker for more than 30 years, Jackson underwent open-heart surgery in 2003 and suffered a heart attack Nov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Since: Jul 08

Louisville, OH

#26 Jan 20, 2009
Rider Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
GREAT JOB!! I never smoked much past trying it so never got hooked.
TALK about cravings...... I am craving a springlike or summery day and or dry roads!!
bet you can relate!!=)
Thanks. And, yes, I am craving warmer weather and dry roads. Slowly but surely adding some custom parts to my mistress and wanting to get her on the road.
citi

Stow, OH

#27 Jan 20, 2009
Hey Louis! You're better than our NEW PRESIDENT...He still smokes! LOL! Mr. Perfect, still lighting up...OMG that must drive all you tree-hugging, perfect, alfalfa sprout touting, hybrid car driving, socialized health-care supporting, LIBERALS nuts!
OBAMA SMOKES!!

:)citi
Mema

Ellwood City, PA

#29 Jan 20, 2009
Maybe Obama will make it okay to smoke everywhere again..........what does Amy say? Oh yes,,,SAD

“GodBless+KeepYou”

Since: Oct 08

Crawford County

#30 Jan 20, 2009
Man oh man, citi, don't let my dad hear you calling hybrid car drivers 'liberals'... you know how those conservative Marine types are... SEMPER FI!
(LOL... he does believe alfalfa sprouts ruin a good salad, though!)
GBKY
Virginia Lee

Prince George, VA

#31 Jan 20, 2009
This doctor is a great example of the kind that doesn't even know the WAY chantix works. Wonder what he will say when his patient has heart trouble from chantix. Ruffa sure did not warn Jackson of the side effects.

The CMO of the American Lung Association sure gives little credit to people being able to quit cold turkey. Guess I will be one of those less the 10% and my husband too! No thanks to chantix or the ALA.

It is interesting the stats on chantix s/e are stacking up to with Ruffa's other chantix users 25 to 30%.

As one who has been hurt seriously from chantix and still having lingering side effects, I sure do think quitting with chantix is a drag! It is poison and just a substitute for nicotine. Most people would be safer to chance a skin rash or other minor s/e from NRT from a poison they are used to then and unknown.
much better

Burlington, NC

#32 Jan 20, 2009
Virginia Lee wrote:
This doctor is a great example of the kind that doesn't even know the WAY chantix works. Wonder what he will say when his patient has heart trouble from chantix. Ruffa sure did not warn Jackson of the side effects.
The CMO of the American Lung Association sure gives little credit to people being able to quit cold turkey. Guess I will be one of those less the 10% and my husband too! No thanks to chantix or the ALA.Here's Virginia!
It is interesting the stats on chantix s/e are stacking up to with Ruffa's other chantix users 25 to 30%.
As one who has been hurt seriously from chantix and still having lingering side effects, I sure do think quitting with chantix is a drag! It is poison and just a substitute for nicotine. Most people would be safer to chance a skin rash or other minor s/e from NRT from a poison they are used to then and unknown.
Here's Virginia!

“smoke free since August 2009”

Since: Jan 08

Baltimore, Maryland

#33 Jan 20, 2009
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
How dare you state what happens to "most people" who take Chantix! You know what has happened to the few people who post on Chantix threads. You know NOTHING about what has happened with "most people" on this medication. You are an idiot!
lighten up jerk!! Most people have not had major problems. Read your literature.

“Indian Man ”

Since: Nov 08

Stalkers hide from me

#34 Jan 20, 2009
Brenda1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The first time I quit in 1980, it was like that! but you know what they say about 'pride goes before the fall...' I was smoke-free for almost 5 yrs.
The second time was much harder! And I learned the life lesson God had for me as well!
GBKY
No kidding Brenda, the same thing with me. I learned that a hard core smoker like I had been can't be "delivered" and then go back and "dabble", thinking it would be okay if I just smoked one. To a nicotine addict, one is never enough.
Some people seem to quit very easily. I had to be delivered by God, not under my own willpower because where ciggies were concerned, I had none. It was a love hate relationship.
Montana

Kalispell, MT

#35 Jan 20, 2009
tulips wrote:
<quoted text>lighten up jerk!! Most people have not had major problems. Read your literature.
The literature is CRAP. They never went through all of the testing that other drugs do. They "fast tracked" it. So there were never any long term studies done on Chantix. Smokers are the scum of the earth so I guess the FDA figured it is ok to use smokers as lab rats. So guess what, we are the test studies and the results are still out, and I am here to tell you CHANTIX SUCKS! Think long and hard, before you decide being a guinea pig is in your future. Once you take this poison you can't go back. IT WILL BE TOO LATE, THE DAMAGE WILL ALREADY BE DONE!

Montana

“...............”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#36 Jan 20, 2009
Louis Bernocco wrote:
I used Chantix to stop smoking also. While the Physical urges are gone, I do still think about cig. a lot. I still have not smoked but there have been days when I could easily have gone out and bought a pack and started again. I am 58 and had been smoking for 40 years when I stopped. I am happy now after going on 5 months of non-smoking but will be happier when I reach the 1 year. If I am still not smoking by then, I win!
Congrats :D
I quit smoking myself but I was not a heavy smoker and had only been smoking 8 years. I did it cold turkey...hard but worth it. The first Three months are the hardest I found. Then it was just a case of not taking that 'one' drag when I was feeling stressed. Once you start again it's harder to quit.

“...............”

Location hidden

#37 Jan 20, 2009
TWTL wrote:
The urge to smoke a cigarette will go away whether you smoke it or not.
Not true.

“...............”

Location hidden

#38 Jan 20, 2009
Berfa wrote:
<quoted text>
Goodness, Mememarg, a tornado has less wind than you.
Actually, she's spot on.

“...............”

Location hidden

#39 Jan 20, 2009
citi wrote:
Hey Louis! You're better than our NEW PRESIDENT...He still smokes! LOL! Mr. Perfect, still lighting up...OMG that must drive all you tree-hugging, perfect, alfalfa sprout touting, hybrid car driving, socialized health-care supporting, LIBERALS nuts!
OBAMA SMOKES!!
Someone else's habit is not really our problem now is it? The ones who should care are his loved ones.
Ever watched somebody die quickly of cancer? I have..you are acting completely ignorant.

“...............”

Location hidden

#40 Jan 20, 2009
what real people have to say about this drugs side effects. http://www.topix.com/forum/law/healthcare/TF0...

“Indian Man ”

Since: Nov 08

Stalkers hide from me

#42 Jan 21, 2009
citi wrote:
OBAMA SMOKES!!
Ha ha! Obama does smoke. He's just promised not to smoke in the smoke free White House. I guess he'll have to go outside with the CIA boys on the roof top.
Wonderful example he's setting for America children. To them he says, "Yes, we can! But no I can't!" (quit smoking).

“smoke free since August 2009”

Since: Jan 08

Baltimore, Maryland

#44 Jan 25, 2009
Montana wrote:
<quoted text>
The literature is CRAP. They never went through all of the testing that other drugs do. They "fast tracked" it. So there were never any long term studies done on Chantix. Smokers are the scum of the earth so I guess the FDA figured it is ok to use smokers as lab rats. So guess what, we are the test studies and the results are still out, and I am here to tell you CHANTIX SUCKS! Think long and hard, before you decide being a guinea pig is in your future. Once you take this poison you can't go back. IT WILL BE TOO LATE, THE DAMAGE WILL ALREADY BE DONE!
Montana
Well aren't you the drama queen
Lakshmi Singe

Westfield, NY

#45 Jan 25, 2009
Many people have had success quitting by finding a substitute for the craving...a friend once suggested sun-flower seeds.....DON"T TRY IT!

I did but I kept setting my mustache on fire!
Ed Mead

Westfield, NY

#46 Jan 25, 2009
Here at the ETN we are doing all we can to curb smoking. As a matter of fact in every edition we post a list of names of people who have quit successfully.
It can be found on the lower left hand corner of the first page!
Have a great day !
common sense

Perry Point, MD

#47 Jan 25, 2009
Why do people want to tell everyone what to do? Freedom? Justice? For All?... let's let govt. tell us what to do... overeating is just as deadly...(in)dependence?

“GodBless+KeepYou”

Since: Oct 08

Crawford County

#48 Jan 25, 2009
By all means, if you can quit on your own without the aid of some other drug... GO FOR IT! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. And sometimes the cure will as surely kill/harm you, depending on your own personal circumstances.
If you really want to quit smoking bad enough -- YOU WILL! Find what works for you, and build a support team for yourself -- friends, family or self-help group who will help by distracting you from your cravings, share insights and victories, encourage you to stay the course, and keep you from the places where you'd be tempted to smoke.
God bless you with the victory!
GBKY

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Depression Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sleeping pills, anxiety meds may shorten lives (Nov '10) May 22 Jessiishappy 45
News Is shock therapy making a comeback? May 18 Its reality 1
News Study about 'shock therapy' for depression sugg... May 10 Its reality 1
News Widespread sex addiction worsening depression a... Apr '18 Xstain Fumblement... 5
News Few kids receiving mental health care - Zeni (Jul '08) Mar '18 Early Onset Conse... 25
News So... are we just supposed to wait until he hit... Mar '18 HumanSpirit 1
News Diabetes Complications: What's Your Risk? (Jun '07) Mar '18 Jesus Pimpsoul 5