Is Quitting a DRAG?

Full story: GoErie.com 48
Jim Jackson knows this could be his last chance. A smoker for more than 30 years, Jackson underwent open-heart surgery in 2003 and suffered a heart attack Nov. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Louis Bernocco

South Windsor, CT

#1 Jan 20, 2009
I used Chantix to stop smoking also. While the Physical urges are gone, I do still think about cig. a lot. I still have not smoked but there have been days when I could easily have gone out and bought a pack and started again. I am 58 and had been smoking for 40 years when I stopped. I am happy now after going on 5 months of non-smoking but will be happier when I reach the 1 year. If I am still not smoking by then, I win!

“smober since 06/19/07”

Since: Mar 08

Denver, CO

#2 Jan 20, 2009
Louis Bernocco wrote:
I used Chantix to stop smoking also. While the Physical urges are gone, I do still think about cig. a lot. I still have not smoked but there have been days when I could easily have gone out and bought a pack and started again. I am 58 and had been smoking for 40 years when I stopped. I am happy now after going on 5 months of non-smoking but will be happier when I reach the 1 year. If I am still not smoking by then, I win!
HEY HEY HEY, What do you say? You are a winner now! Congratulations on your quit. You have made it this far and you can see that one year anniversary as an ex smoker. The craves do become fewer and fewer as well as weaker and weaker. Then every once in awhile, there may be the 'crave from hell' that blind sides you. It only lasts a moment or two. Just hold on, take some deep breaths and perhaps grab something to fiddle with. It gets so much better, day by day!

“GodBless+KeepYou”

Since: Oct 08

Crawford County

#3 Jan 20, 2009
I quit in 1990, after smoking for nearly 20 yrs. It wasn't easy, but a friend persuaded (more like coerced) me to go thru a 'Smokeless' program.
We changed our routines, for instance:
*If the first thing you do upon waking is grab a coffee and a smoke, change it. Have a glass of orange juice or ice water and avoid the cig.
*Wear a rubberband on your wrist and snap it every time you think of smoking.
*Get rid of all your ashtrays. Get a mason jar with a lid, put an inch or two of water in it. Ever time you light up, open the jar and hold it in front of you to collect all the ashes and butts. Cap it up until your next smoke, repeat. DO NOT empty or clean the jar.
*Increase the time before you can have your next cigarette, by 15-30 minutes. Smoke less of the cigarette, put it out early.
*As always, find a substitute - gum, hard candy, chew on a pen, drink lots of water.
I sometimes miss it. I still catch myself "inhaling" when I watch someone smoke... and I'm reminded that the fresh air I'm breathing taste so much better.
May God grant you success!
GBKY
TWTL

Edinboro, PA

#4 Jan 20, 2009
The urge to smoke a cigarette will go away whether you smoke it or not.
AZQuitter

Chandler, AZ

#5 Jan 20, 2009
Chantix has a lot of side effects, and some are much worse than nausea and dreams! Be very careful with this drug - it is dangerous!
Peggy1322

San Francisco, CA

#6 Jan 20, 2009
Be careful on taking this drug. The news article was not altogether truthful. Chantix can cause you to have psychiatric problems if you have never had any. This drug almost killed my husband. The bad side effects are not as rare as people like to think.

Peggy

“Indian Man ”

Since: Nov 08

Stalkers hide from me

#7 Jan 20, 2009
Jesus totally delivered me! No withdrawals!

I'm not "blowing smoke"! Ha ha........

Really, I'm serious. Fasting breaks addictions for Christians. I don't know about non Christians.

“smober since 06/19/07”

Since: Mar 08

Denver, CO

#8 Jan 20, 2009
TWTL wrote:
The urge to smoke a cigarette will go away whether you smoke it or not.
Great post! Therefore, don't smoke it! You will be over the crave and still smoke free! Don't cave to the crave.

“Smoke-free since Oct 20 2007”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#9 Jan 20, 2009
Louis Bernocco wrote:
Congratulations on your quit! 5 months is terrific, just keep working at it and before you know it you will be celebrating a year. Most people do not have any serious problems with Chantix, are you still taking it or are you on your own now? As with any drug, be aware of the potential side effects and seek professional help if you experience any severe side effects. I think for ex-smokers, we will always have thoughts of or craves for cigarettes, no matter what method we use to quit, we just have to learn a different response and allow time for the thoughts and craves to diminish.
I quit smoking 15 months ago and I also used Chantix - keep up the good work!!! You can do it!

“GodBless+KeepYou”

Crawford County

#10 Jan 20, 2009
Shekanahh wrote:
Jesus totally delivered me! No withdrawals!
I'm not "blowing smoke"! Ha ha........
Really, I'm serious. Fasting breaks addictions for Christians. I don't know about non Christians.
The first time I quit in 1980, it was like that! but you know what they say about 'pride goes before the fall...' I was smoke-free for almost 5 yrs.
The second time was much harder! And I learned the life lesson God had for me as well!
GBKY

“Freedom...NOPE”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#11 Jan 20, 2009
Louis Bernocco wrote:
Hi Louis, I was happy that I quit smoking once I realized that I could make it, I like you REALLY wanted to see the ONE YEAR mark!!!

I'm 60 years old. I smoked & loved it for over 40 years. I hadn't planned to quit last year but my doctor offered me Chantix & I decided to give it a try. I know without Chantix, will power on my part after Chantix started working & friends I found here on these threads I am smoke free!!!

If you like being smoke free & NEVER want to have to go through the start of the quit again! You've GOT TO HOLD ON TO THIS QUIT REALLY TIGHT!!
Any time I had a crave, I just remembered this!!

Today is my ONE YEAR QUIT!!! This is real FREEDOM!! Hang in there - it won't be long for you! BUT we can never get careless with our quits - NEVER.....
Skeptic

Pittsburgh, PA

#13 Jan 20, 2009
I quit nine years ago. I loved smoking. Loooooved it. If I make it to 70, I'm going to start again.

But I must say that second-hand smoke really bothers me now. Thank God you can't smoke in most places. That was a real help. And it's really socially unacceptable now, too.
Berfa

AOL

#15 Jan 20, 2009
mememarg wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Louis, I was happy that I quit smoking once I realized that I could make it, I like you REALLY wanted to see the ONE YEAR mark!!!
I'm 60 years old. I smoked & loved it for over 40 years. I hadn't planned to quit last year but my doctor offered me Chantix & I decided to give it a try. I know without Chantix, will power on my part after Chantix started working & friends I found here on these threads I am smoke free!!!
If you like being smoke free & NEVER want to have to go through the start of the quit again! You've GOT TO HOLD ON TO THIS QUIT REALLY TIGHT!!
Any time I had a crave, I just remembered this!!
Today is my ONE YEAR QUIT!!! This is real FREEDOM!! Hang in there - it won't be long for you! BUT we can never get careless with our quits - NEVER.....
Goodness, Mememarg, a tornado has less wind than you.

“Smoke-free since Oct 20 2007”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#16 Jan 20, 2009
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
How dare you state what happens to "most people" who take Chantix! You know what has happened to the few people who post on Chantix threads. You know NOTHING about what has happened with "most people" on this medication. You are an idiot!
Oh brother! Your logic is nil.

Since: Jul 08

Canton, OH

#17 Jan 20, 2009
I quit almost 17 years ago. Had a few slips along the way but if I remember correctly my fall off the wagon never lasted more than a few days.
It's been 6 years now since any slips.
While quitting for me was easy I still have the cravings once and again for some reason or another.
It's really an odd feeling.
I'm glad that I did quit because at my last lung capacity test I had my capacity is back to 100%(back from 88%).
Proves that your lungs will heal in time.

“GodBless+KeepYou”

Crawford County

#18 Jan 20, 2009
There's other benefits too:
You don't smell like an ashtray. You can taste your food. No dental stains, smoke/nicotine coated furniture, walls, draperies.
With the ban on smoking in the work place, hubby doesn't smell like smoke, either. And he is sick less!
GBKY

“Enjoying the sunshine ”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#19 Jan 20, 2009
Rusty Blade wrote:
I quit almost 17 years ago. Had a few slips along the way but if I remember correctly my fall off the wagon never lasted more than a few days.
It's been 6 years now since any slips.
While quitting for me was easy I still have the cravings once and again for some reason or another.
It's really an odd feeling.
I'm glad that I did quit because at my last lung capacity test I had my capacity is back to 100%(back from 88%).
Proves that your lungs will heal in time.
GREAT JOB!! I never smoked much past trying it so never got hooked.
TALK about cravings...... I am craving a springlike or summery day and or dry roads!!
bet you can relate!!=)
veritas

Westfield, NY

#20 Jan 20, 2009
I quit cold turkey when they took the ashtrays out of churches...
Anonymous

Pittsburgh, PA

#21 Jan 20, 2009
I never started smoking as a teenager/young adult despite the fact that ALL of my friends, every boyfriend, and my entire immediate family smoked.

I still don't smoke. Never smoked a day in my life. I am soo glad I never did, too. It can harm your health and it sounds to be VERY difficult to quit! My respect goes out to those of you struggling to quit and refusing to give up. Good Luck!

Since: Jul 08

Canton, OH

#25 Jan 20, 2009
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
How dare you state what happens to "most people" who take Chantix! You know what has happened to the few people who post on Chantix threads. You know NOTHING about what has happened with "most people" on this medication. You are an ****!
And you would know what happens to most people how?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Depression Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How long before feeling the effects of Zoloft (... Sep 18 DeniseT 41
Erie ranks 4th among most depressed U.S. regions (Aug '11) Sep 17 feelin better 60
First blood test for depression proven to work Sep 16 robina 1
Are menopause and depression really connected? Sep 16 robina 1
The Lancet journals: Three-quarters of depresse... Aug 29 MMR CAUSES AUTISM 2
Adding therapy to meds may speed depression rec... Aug 29 robina 2
Is depression curable? Of course it is Aug 29 HumanSpirit 1
•••

Depression People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••