Age and depression
old joe

Tampa, FL

#1 Nov 11, 2012
I'm 84 & have increasing health problems. I see a lot of "discomfort" coming. Why should I hang around? I'm only using up resources & costs & I am accomplishing nothing.
I see a psychiatrist but he only gives me pills that don't do much.
Helen

Phoenix, AZ

#2 Nov 23, 2012
We all react differently to medications, so it could be that the medication is not working for you. If it's not bringing you any relief, talk to your doctor and tell him everything so that he or she could do something to correct this. Also, seek a therapist too. Most experts recommend psychological therapy alongside antidepressants. There are articles at http://www.zoloftlawsuitcenter.net , that could be a good reference for you. Good luck!

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#3 Dec 6, 2012
old joe wrote:
I'm 84 & have increasing health problems. I see a lot of "discomfort" coming. Why should I hang around? I'm only using up resources & costs & I am accomplishing nothing.
I see a psychiatrist but he only gives me pills that don't do much.
The question was 'Why should I hang around?'....

Theropy?...nah...

Theropist get their theropy by helping others...and at 84, there's really not much a theropist can tell you, that you don't already know...

But there's probably a lot, much, that you could tell others half your age about life, struggles, and how to over come...

One doesn't live to be 84, unless they've learned how to over come much diversity...

Your purpose could come from you yourself, being the theropist, for others seeking help on a varity of issues...

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Location hidden

#4 Dec 6, 2012
Nothing will help over come deppresion like 'purpose'...or having purpose...

Me myself, I don't need a theropist telling me what I already know...

But what I do need, like everyone else is 'purpose'...

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Location hidden

#5 Dec 6, 2012
And I'm not a drug, are medication type of person...

It depresses me just thinking that a day may come in the future when I need drugs or medication to artifiscally feel 'well'...

Like placeing a band-aid over a wound that never heals on it's own...
Almeta

UK

#6 Jan 30, 2014
I've been on Effexor from http://goo.gl/3FuqC7 only one week but am cautiously very optimistic. Prior to this I was on citalopram but still feeling very low and sleeping poorly, feeling like I needed to be in bed 12-16 hours a day. Now I am waking naturally after only 8 hours sleep and finding it much easier to concentrate at work. I can hardly believe it is working so quickly but I feel so much better. I've had no side effects.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Depression Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Psychologist's advice on adolescent mental health May 24 Humanspirit 2
News How to spot the symptoms of teenage depression ... May 23 Humanspirit 1
News Few kids receiving mental health care - Zeni (Jul '08) May 22 Maybe 18
News New science proves YOGA really works for treati... May 21 Humanspirit 1
no future (Apr '16) May 21 MixedGirlConfessi... 2
My family hates me May 21 MixedGirlConfessi... 1
News Why Donald Trump Could Benefit From LSD Therapy May 11 Humanspirit 1
More from around the web