The Acne Drug Accutane More Than Doubles Your Depression Risk

Jun 27, 2008 Full story: NewsTarget.com 24

More evidence has come in on the dangerous side effects of Accutane, the powerful acne drug, that is also known as Roaccutane in Europe.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Josh

Yuba City, CA

#1 Aug 2, 2008
This is a bunch of crap.. I remember how depressed I was when I couldnt look someone in the face when i was talking to them. Nearly never left my room because my face was so disgusting.. 3 months on accutane and my skin was flawless, I got a new job, A hot girlfriend, and was as happy as ever.

Accutane saves lives. It SHOULD be sold over the counter. Acne would be a thing of the past.
spike

Fullerton, CA

#2 Aug 2, 2008
well, i don't agree completely with your opinions, but i do agree that depression is probably not linked to the drug. there are studies that find no connection. i mean, accutane is a last resort for severe acne. if it seems like it's not working, i think anyone would be depressed about it.
CUBSSUCK

Canonsburg, PA

#3 Aug 11, 2008
Thanks, Josh..I agree with you. Everyone has to find a reason to complain these days.
Meghan

Ukiah, CA

#4 Aug 13, 2008
well, i've felt sad for no apparent reason. when i should be jubilant, because my life was going great, i couldnt manage to extract joy from my surroundings. i'm not sure if it is linked to the 'tane, but i'd prefer that kind of excuse. hahaha!
Paul79SoFL

Miami, FL

#5 Aug 15, 2008
Hey Josh, it gave me chills to hear your story.(The good kind).

I had the same experience. My college career was fun but only because I had lots of good friends from high school with me and I drank to forget about my acne.

After college, I took accutane for 6 months and I've been very clear ever since.

Congrats man! It gave me my life back too.
Josh

Chico, CA

#6 Aug 15, 2008
Yeah Paul. Here's one to accutane!

*Holds up beer can*
Chantelle

Canada

#7 Sep 14, 2008
To everyone that says depression isn't possible on this drug, UHM, no.

Three years ago I had a terrible depression
I was hospitalized and on anti-depressants
Fortunately, I came out of it through good therapy

Now I can tackle ANYTHING that comes my way, honestly.
Haven't had a problem in three years.

So basically when I wanted to take accutane, I wasn't worried about the depression factor.
But lately I've become emotionless.
I cry at the drop of a HAT.

I bawl and cry for hours over NOTHING.
I'm extremely suicidal.
My parents won't let me go to school tomorrow because I'm scared of what i'll do.

I'm not sitting here saying 'my life sucks, why couldn't this and this be better"
Cause you know what, my life is great.

But my mind is at a block
I can NOT get there.
For some reason my emotions will not elevate any further, and I'm finding life to become pointless
It's the view of everything that has changed.

I thought it would just go away, but it's getting worse and worse everyday.

And yes, they did find links from accutane and depression.
You mean to tell me, that people just decided, "oh hey accutane. Never felt depressed before, but now I feel like killing myself"

OBVIOUSLY there's a link, thanks.

Not to mention if you read some articles, it explains how it inhibits your seretonin.

So honestly, don't be idiotic.
AXx

Wrexham, UK

#8 Sep 26, 2008
I woke up every day feeling depressed wondering how to face my clients @ work ...
Loosing out on making money ... feeling low... loosing my job
Not going out on dates or with girlfriends worried about my social events in my diary ... making excuses not to go... Spending endless amounts of money on expensive skincare and salon visits ...
Then my friend told me about Roaccutane !
Depression ?
Whats that ?
Now ive never been happier !
Liz

Vancouver, Canada

#9 Oct 21, 2008
I was never one to believe in any correlation between depression and accutane until I took the drug. I had never had any previous experience with depression until the first month of accutane when I started to get bizarre mood swings and depressive/suicidal thoughts, which have been on and off since then. I have 2 more months left on it and until then I'm just going to continue reassuring myself that it really is just the accutane and stick it out until the end. I would definitely recommend closely monitoring friends/family members on it.
James

Oakville, Canada

#11 Nov 1, 2008
The depression factor is there.
But it depends on the person.
Sometimes it's really high, and sometimes low.
For me, I got depressed for no reason.
My life was totally fine.
It could have been a normal day, and I was depressed.
But after a while, it went away.
I had NO suicidal thoughts whatsoever.
My acne after months was completely gone.
I was very pleased with my results.
The only thing I have to warn is,
that your lips will get dry and your skin will too.
Also you might breakout more when you first start out on the medication.
But if you can get past that, then it's a really great thing to get.
IT WILL HELP!:)
John

Belmont, CA

#12 Nov 2, 2008
Blah Blah Blah... Just take the damn pill once a day for six months and BAM! Clear skin. Simply as that.
a little over a month

Charlestown, MA

#13 Nov 3, 2008
i've been very happy on accutane actually. and trust me, my life's not very peachy otherwise. my family is having trouble making ends meet and the police knocked on my door this past weekend telling me to immediately evacuate because my next door neighbor was an armed drug dealer. and you know what? i was COMPLETELY FINE. not emotional at all.

people will always take the easy road. if they can blame their shitty behavior on a pill, they will. that's just how the world is.

one month and scars are already fading ! go accutane
Watcher

AOL

#14 Nov 3, 2008
a little over a month wrote:
i've been very happy on accutane actually. and trust me, my life's not very peachy otherwise. my family is having trouble making ends meet and the police knocked on my door this past weekend telling me to immediately evacuate because my next door neighbor was an armed drug dealer. and you know what? i was COMPLETELY FINE. not emotional at all.
people will always take the easy road. if they can blame their shitty behavior on a pill, they will. that's just how the world is.
one month and scars are already fading ! go accutane
Sometimes our emotions are there for a good reason.

Like causing you to move faster than usual to get out the way of an oncoming car.

If cops tell you that a drug dealler with a gun is next door, and you say your meds made you stay calm through the entire ordeal, then I'd say they masked your emotions too much, to the point of being unhealthy.

Too much emotion can be very bad, however, no emotion at all can, in the right situation, prove to be fatal.

To be totally numb and void of our surroundings is not an accomplishment for balanced health.
Kriston

Arlington, TX

#15 Sep 23, 2011
I've been on accutane for three months now and the results are beautiful! The dry eyes and chapped lips suck but it's manageable. Before I took the meds I had such a positive attitude, the sky was the limit I was full of love and excitement. About two months ago i became numb to all emotions, easily irritated with a few suicidal thoughts here and there. This is not in my character at all. I've been striving to keep my head above water and feel happy again but I am completely numb and haven't had any luck overcoming this. I've also been fearless things that used to make me sick to my stomach with fear now don't effect me at all within my dangerous profession. I lost that emotion to. My boyfriend and family all notice a huge change. I hope this goes away after I'm done within the next two months because I miss the old me. However the results are beautiful and it's so nice not suffering with the 12 years of acne I have been.
Oli Girl

Rockford, IL

#16 Sep 29, 2011
Kriston - I urge you to read the information provided to you regarding your Rx of Accutane.

I advise you to stop taking Accutane and speak to your physican. You are playing Russian Roulette with your life.

If your not willing to quit at least speak to your derm about lowering your dose.
William Bawerman

Germany

#20 Dec 3, 2012
i wrote:
I've tried both original brand and generic accutane. I prefer generic accutane - There is no difference in effectiveness as far as I can tell between the brand and generic versions. The real difference is price, no comparison. And this suppliers seem honest and reliable. On the site http://g-isotretinoin.info I've just placed my 3rd order.
Thanks for that address. http://g-isotretinoin.info has my pills within a week at my door. They perfectly work! I have found them very good value for money. My special discount coupon 1VQY12ZPi3
Orders under $150 are granted a 5% discount; orders above $151 are granted a 10% discount.
You can save your money.
Rebecca

UK

#23 Jan 16, 2013
I have been on this from http://g-isotretinoin.info for 3 months now and have noticed a massive improvement of my acne. The acne on my back is practically non existent and the amount on my face has dramatically improved. I got lots of comments today saying how face has cleared up since I last saw these people 2 weeks ago. I now have much less acne on my face and it expected to all be gone in 3 more months forever. I am currently on 60mg a day one at morning and 2 at night and I am a 15 year old female. I have had some back pain when I play my weekly sport and dry lips but that is all the side effects I have had.
Salisburry

France

#25 Feb 28, 2013
I started Accutane when I was 17. My skin looked really bad. I had pimples on my face approaching the size of dimes. The acne went over my shoulders, down the front of my chest and down to the bottom of my back. I tried all the creams and fancy products and nothing worked. My doctor finally put me on a round of Accutane from http://g-acne-treatment.info . The first dose I was on for a couple of months didn't do much, so the doctor doubled it. Within six months, my acne was almost all gone and I stopped treatment. Within 18 months I had zero acne and zero scarring - my skin was utterly flawless and still is. I am now basically cured of acne - less than half a dozen pimples in ten years. Miracle.
Farmer

UK

#26 Apr 6, 2013
i wrote:
I started Accutane when I was 17. My skin looked really bad. I had pimples on my face approaching the size of dimes. The acne went over my shoulders, down the front of my chest and down to the bottom of my back. I tried all the creams and fancy products and nothing worked. My doctor finally put me on a round of Accutane from http://g-acne-treatment.info . The first dose I was on for a couple of months didn't do much, so the doctor doubled it. Within six months, my acne was almost all gone and I stopped treatment. Within 18 months I had zero acne and zero scarring - my skin was utterly flawless and still is. I am now basically cured of acne - less than half a dozen pimples in ten years. Miracle.
I fought with acne throughout my teenage years and tried everything to get rid of it (proactiv, neutrogena, retin-a, clean and clear, you name it). I experienced quite an initial breakout soon after I started accutane but was expecting it and told myself my skin would get better. Iím now in the last week of my treatment and my skin is flawless. I havenít had a single zit in 3 months, and scars from my previous breakouts are fading. If your in doubt that accutane can solve your acne frustrations, donít be. Survive the first two months or so of accutane and you will be rewarded with the complexion youíve always wanted.
Wesley

Germany

#28 May 8, 2013
Before I went on accutane from http://fastacnetreat.info I had tried EVERYTHING... constant Cremes, Benzyol Proxide, 3 different antibiotics, retin A Creme... you name it I used it. None of these things really worked for me; it would only suppress my acne. BTW.. I should inform everyone on here that I never had awful acne, I had moderately severe acne that I was sick of dealing with. I finally decided to go on accutain and I will admit I was really scared. Thr first two months were rough not going to lie; after those two months my face started looking better and better. Now I have NO acne on my face just a couple on my back... it really is AMAZING. Don't let anyone stop you from taking this medication... it works and no one should suffer with acne!!! I have one more month so lets hope I get 100% clear!! I'm at about 88%

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Depression Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I feel so ugly and depressed... (May '10) Jan 29 cryingangel1989 27
Mother Files Lawsuit Against Bay Medical Center... Jan 28 Unknown 5
Adolescents exhibiting symptoms of mental disor... Jan 23 HumanSpirit 1
Art Therapy May Help Kids With Behavior Problems Jan 18 humanspirit 1
Is depression curable? Of course it is Jan 15 humanspirit 4
6 Tips Towards Choosing an Antidepressant (Apr '09) Jan 14 KylieG 35
A brief history of my fight against depression Jan 12 HumanSpirit 4
More from around the web