Antidepressants linked to major perso...

Antidepressants linked to major personality changes

There are 52 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Dec 7, 2009, titled Antidepressants linked to major personality changes. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

Antidepressant medications taken by roughly 7% of American adults cause profound personality changes in many patients with depression, far beyond simply lifting the veil of sadness, a study has found.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

cody

Casco, MI

#26 May 6, 2010
I have high triglycerides. Very high. Cholesterol too. I'm on nothing, yet.
I'm tired of all these drugs.
NOTHING was wrong with me until I took my first Inderal in 1986 for a weird heart beat. It's for high blood pressure/irregular heart beat.
That lead to a depression, so Elevil. So, weight gain from that. Sugar went up from weight gain. More meds. Over time the Elevil destroyed to stomach and bowels. I didn't know it was from that. That's getting worse. Too late, the severe damage is done. Severe. I may end up on a feeding tube someday and a bag on the side.
Some of my meds lead to falls. I thought something was wrong with me ? Now I know it was the pills. Too late, damage from the falls is done.
Tomorrow I get spine shots again. I pray they work as well as the first ones.
The falls lead to head injuries. I have memory loss now -- last two years. It's bad, hard to live with.
EVERYTHING that is wrong with me is medication related. I'm ruined for life. All because of these poisonous pills.
My life has been slowly destroyed by these smiling doctors writing their rx's to me. I had no stomach warnings about the Elevil.

“Alpha Omega”

Since: Dec 09

United States

#27 May 6, 2010
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't use a Statin drug but will use Red Yeast Rice. I have had success with no mussel deterioration or the pains that are associated with Statin drugs..
I keep a high regard for the chemical balances including Magnesium and Potassium and the trace minerals.
Nutrition is a good way to health except the soils are depleted of chemical nutrients and fertilized to compensate.
If you look up Louise Light who originally drew up the food pyramid she will state to you that the Department of Agriculture changed her research science and altered the original food pyramid. It was a dirty deal.
Ok, I agree with that last part, and that's why I grow most of my own food these days organically on virgin soil. But I also use supplements to compensate for what I don't grow.

The way I see it is that if one is able to eat right, and therefore doesn't have a cholesterol problem then there wouldn't be a issue in the first place ...or...a need to take anything to counter it. My son and his wife pretty much live on the "French Paradox" diet with liberal doses of mineralized red wines, and they have perfect cholesterol and have for years.

I suppose I just don't have the same fear of cholesterol being a scary issue, but if I did, and couldn't or wouldn't eat right, and was concerned about it. like you, I would prefer to take Red yeast rice rather than a pharmaceutical {{{{statin drug}}}}. To be fair, I'll check out your links. I could have missed something.

Everything they do is a dirty deal, including the Monsanto genetically modified foods and seeds imo.

I'm glad for your warning folks about antidepressants. I couldn't agree with you more, since I was one of the victims back when. They messed with my brain, and I'm positive that's what threw me into a major depression, from what was caused by a personal problem into something long term, scary and suicidal.
HumanSpirit

Fort White, FL

#28 May 6, 2010
cody wrote:
I have high triglycerides. Very high. Cholesterol too. I'm on nothing, yet.
I'm tired of all these drugs.
NOTHING was wrong with me until I took my first Inderal in 1986 for a weird heart beat. It's for high blood pressure/irregular heart beat.
That lead to a depression, so Elevil. So, weight gain from that. Sugar went up from weight gain. More meds. Over time the Elevil destroyed to stomach and bowels. I didn't know it was from that. That's getting worse. Too late, the severe damage is done. Severe. I may end up on a feeding tube someday and a bag on the side.
Some of my meds lead to falls. I thought something was wrong with me ? Now I know it was the pills. Too late, damage from the falls is done.
Tomorrow I get spine shots again. I pray they work as well as the first ones.
The falls lead to head injuries. I have memory loss now -- last two years. It's bad, hard to live with.
EVERYTHING that is wrong with me is medication related. I'm ruined for life. All because of these poisonous pills.
My life has been slowly destroyed by these smiling doctors writing their rx's to me. I had no stomach warnings about the Elevil.
Sorry for your pharmacutically inflicted health problems.

I bet they gave you Reglan and Nexium also

“Alpha Omega”

Since: Dec 09

United States

#29 May 6, 2010
Let me ask a question or two, if I may, since you seem to be quite knowledgeable about antidepressants. Would you say withdrawals from Elavil, for example,might possibly cause a side effect of psychosis?

And...in your opinion how would one taper off Elavil or other anti's with miminum or no unpleasant withdrawals?

I realize you're not a doctor, but strangely enough, one seldom hears an MD warning about withdrawal symptoms. Even if they do, they couch their words with terminology such as calling it "discontinuation syndrome".
cody

Casco, MI

#30 May 6, 2010
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text> Sorry for your pharmacutically inflicted health problems.
I bet they gave you Reglan and Nexium also
Yep, those meds and more. The Reglan was very short lived. Too many side effects.
cody

Casco, MI

#31 May 6, 2010
Constantia wrote:
Let me ask a question or two, if I may, since you seem to be quite knowledgeable about antidepressants. Would you say withdrawals from Elavil, for example,might possibly cause a side effect of psychosis?
And...in your opinion how would one taper off Elavil or other anti's with miminum or no unpleasant withdrawals?
I realize you're not a doctor, but strangely enough, one seldom hears an MD warning about withdrawal symptoms. Even if they do, they couch their words with terminology such as calling it "discontinuation syndrome".
Well I can tell you. I've tried. You can't. You get psychosis, dellusions, see things, hear things, get paranoid,
Don't sleep, shower a lot, shake, cry, stay up all night driving to stay sane, want t ocut, think about killing yourself, give up and take the pill.
:(
And that is tapering off slowly.
I've been on it for 22 years now. The dosages raised over the years.
My stomach doctor wants we to change to Pamelor.
Anyone know that one ?
I'm suppose to just change over with no side effects of issues.
Anyone know ?? I need help here.
What do you guys know about Tricor ?
Thanks.
Terri
Constance

AOL

#32 May 7, 2010
cody wrote:
<quoted text>Well I can tell you. I've tried. You can't. You get psychosis, dellusions, see things, hear things, get paranoid,
Don't sleep, shower a lot, shake, cry, stay up all night driving to stay sane, want t ocut, think about killing yourself, give up and take the pill.
And that is tapering off slowly.
I've been on it for 22 years now. The dosages raised over the years.
My stomach doctor wants we to change to Pamelor.
Anyone know that one ?
I'm suppose to just change over with no side effects of issues.
Anyone know ?? I need help here.
What do you guys know about Tricor ?
Thanks.
Terri
Ya, these drugs keep demanding you take more and more.

Pamelor....Hmm, it could help. A friend I had got through decades of major valium addiction when her doctor switched her to Klonipin,(clonazapam). I think she had a lot of help from God though, because she had breast cancer and it started metastisizing into other areas of her body and she was completely healed. The last I saw her, it had been ten years since her cancer and she was still healed and okay. She was a spiritfilled gal with a whole lot of faith, but had gotten into valium way back in her teen years after a horrible rape experience and had been badly traumatized over the ordeal.
Terri...I've seen God heal terminal brain cancer, and non-hodgkins lymphoma in it's latter stages. I've seen God deliver from chronic alcohol and drug addiction. I've seen him heal serious back, joint, eye and hearing problems. Well, really....just about anything and everything, including depression. I've seen it, and I just figure he can heal anyone of anything. After all, he's God.
I have a feeling this deal is going to be different for you than it was before. You can't judge by what didn't work before.
I'm going to get around to posting more healings I've known about on the blog as soon as I can, including a few of my own.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nortriptyline
HumanSpirit

Fort White, FL

#33 May 7, 2010
cody wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, those meds and more. The Reglan was very short lived. Too many side effects.
Reglan is a (A) anti-psychotic drug. Oddly enough, they give this to infants for spitting up. I don't think that does the baby any good. I think it destroys the child's brain.
HumanSpirit

Fort White, FL

#34 May 7, 2010
Constantia wrote:
Hi Constantia;

you are right, I am not a doctor.

As I have stated many times, here has been "No" biological defect found for any mental illness or any of the other made to order diagnoses by any neurological study.

Without a test for chemical imbalance the mental health (psychiatry) is limited in the ancillary tests of medicine like an EKG, EEG, blood work or other tests in the diagnoses of a patient. They aren't needed in Psychiatry.

The psychiatric diagnosis is made on the basis of behavior and hearsay.

If we respect metabolic changes based on daily dietary habits, weight gain / loss , terms of the survival of the organisms as a person age along with physical conditioning, physical illness, electrolyte level, gender differences , body temperature, I don't see where the Mental Health and Counseling Industry could conform to any consistency in data with consideration to the above to state a person has a mental disease or illness based on chemical imbalance.
----------

APA lies to the American Public and puts the society in danger
http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp...
----------

I can provide you with these websites below of those that tried to withdraw from the mind drugs:(A disclaimer for withdrawal of any drug would warrent seeing and talking with your doctor.)

I have limited trust in doctors based on the number of people they have mentally compromised by putting a person's health in jeapority with many drugs including anti-depressants. I think you can reason that any increase in Serotonin levels for anti-depressants would make a person feel better. The problem is the addiction (IMO) is expensive and profitting by the mental health and pharmacutical industry seems to be without concern for the patient and the problems it is causing in the society.
Violence, Deaths Murders and Suicides from mind drugs.

SSRI stories
http://ssristories.com/index.php

more below.
HumanSpirit

Fort White, FL

#35 May 7, 2010
Hi Constantia;

From petition. com

EFFEXSOR
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed...

PAXIL

Paxil Canada

PROZAC Note: Sarafem chemical structure is same as prozac /

Wellbutrin

http://www.petitiononline.com/depress/petitio...

----------

TOPIX Forum

Taper off Effexor XR to minimize withdrawal symptoms
Full story: Los Angeles Times

Pasted from < http://www.topix.com/forum/health/TKB44O33BU6... ;

effexor - longer term side effects

http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/effexor/TLLBS...
----------

Marriages destroyed by SSRI's/SNRIs

http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/effexor/TQ4I2...
----------

Effexor Withdrawal- any suggestions?

http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/effexor/TCDBC...
----------

Antidepressants, Depression and Suicide

http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/effexor/T0VGN...
----------

Stop TeenScreen's Unscientific and Experimental "Mental Health Screening" of American School Children

read the "petition" and signatures

----------
Methadone Forum

http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/methadone

----------
btdt

Courtice, Canada

#36 May 7, 2010
btdt

Courtice, Canada

#37 May 7, 2010
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't use a Statin drug but will use Red Yeast Rice. I have had success with no mussel deterioration or the pains that are associated with Statin drugs..
I keep a high regard for the chemical balances including Magnesium and Potassium and the trace minerals.
Nutrition is a good way to health except the soils are depleted of chemical nutrients and fertilized to compensate.
If you look up Louise Light who originally drew up the food pyramid she will state to you that the Department of Agriculture changed her research science and altered the original food pyramid. It was a dirty deal.
Are you the same human spirit from pp?
My Psychologist who I believe read Grace Jackson's book told me that for most cases it takes about a year for symptoms to fade. He said this is because the drugs get "lodged in the fatty tissue of the brain and genitalia" and that it takes about a year for it to get un-lodged and leave the body.(But this is not fact like scotty said)
If so I am very interested in learning the connection between the brain and genitalia what areas of the brain and gentitalia exactly if we new this we would be much closer in figuring this out. I am a huge fan of Grace Jackson and have not seen this information in reference to her before could you please find out where you source found this information.
btdt

Courtice, Canada

#38 May 7, 2010
If you are indeed the same person who posted on pp that brain and genitalia are the two sites antidepressants are lodge in the body thought I would tell you I have looked for a common denominator and found only herpies as a common denominator as it can affect both areas. Now I wonder what these two areas have in comman that would attract this virus that could be the same thing that causes the ads to lodge there any ideas/ This from a google search
Signs and Symptoms

HSV infection causes several distinct medical disorders. Common infection of the skin or mucosa may affect the face and mouth (orofacial herpes), genitalia (genital herpes), or hands (herpes whitlow). More serious disorders occur when the virus infects and damages the eye (herpes keratitis), or invades the central nervous system, damaging the brain (herpes encephalitis). Patients with immature or suppressed immune systems, such as newborns, transplant recipients, or AIDS patients are prone to severe complications from HSV infections. HSV infection has also been associated with cognitive deficits of bipolar disorder,[2] and Alzheimer's disease,[3] although this is often dependent on the genetics of the infected person.
There is a single report of a systemic infection with HSV-2, where a healthy 28-year old woman with a healthy immune system died 12 days after contracting the virus.[4]
In all cases HSV is never removed from the body by the immune system. Following a primary infection, the virus enters the nerves at the site of primary infection, migrates to the cell body of the neuron, and becomes latent in the ganglion.[5] As a result of primary infection, the body produces antibodies to the particular type of HSV involved, preventing a subsequent infection of that type at a different site. In HSV-1 infected individuals, seroconversion after an oral infection will prevent additional HSV-1 infections such as whitlow, genital herpes, and keratitis. Prior HSV-1 seroconversion seems to reduce the symptoms of a later HSV-2 infection, although HSV-2 can still be contracted. Most indications are that an HSV-2 infection contracted prior to HSV-1 seroconversion will also immunize that person against HSV-1 infection.[6]
interesting the bipolar makes one wonder about the affects of ads in relation to this hmmm???
HumanSpirit

Fort White, FL

#39 May 7, 2010
btdt wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you the same human spirit from pp?
My Psychologist who I believe read Grace Jackson's book told me that for most cases it takes about a year for symptoms to fade. He said this is because the drugs get "lodged in the fatty tissue of the brain and genitalia" and that it takes about a year for it to get un-lodged and leave the body.(But this is not fact like scotty said)
If so I am very interested in learning the connection between the brain and genitalia what areas of the brain and gentitalia exactly if we new this we would be much closer in figuring this out. I am a huge fan of Grace Jackson and have not seen this information in reference to her before could you please find out where you source found this information.
You have the wrong person. Not the same HumanSpirit. Your psychologist is leading you wrong. Becareful around a mental health worker.
btdt

Courtice, Canada

#40 May 7, 2010
It wasn't my psychologist it was human spirits psychologist. That is what I wanted to talk to him/her about. Thanks for getting back to me even tho it is not you.
Constantia

AOL

#41 May 7, 2010
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Constantia;
you are right, I am not a doctor.
As I have stated many times, here has been "No" biological defect found for any mental illness or any of the other made to order diagnoses by any neurological study.
Without a test for chemical imbalance the mental health (psychiatry) is limited in the ancillary tests of medicine like an EKG, EEG, blood work or other tests in the diagnoses of a patient. They aren't needed in Psychiatry.
The psychiatric diagnosis is made on the basis of behavior and hearsay.
If we respect metabolic changes based on daily dietary habits, weight gain / loss , terms of the survival of the organisms as a person age along with physical conditioning, physical illness, electrolyte level, gender differences , body temperature, I don't see where the Mental Health and Counseling Industry could conform to any consistency in data with consideration to the above to state a person has a mental disease or illness based on chemical imbalance.
----------
APA lies to the American Public and puts the society in danger
http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp...
----------
I can provide you with these websites below of those that tried to withdraw from the mind drugs:(A disclaimer for withdrawal of any drug would warrent seeing and talking with your doctor.)
I have limited trust in doctors based on the number of people they have mentally compromised by putting a person's health in jeapority with many drugs including anti-depressants. I think you can reason that any increase in Serotonin levels for anti-depressants would make a person feel better. The problem is the addiction (IMO) is expensive and profitting by the mental health and pharmacutical industry seems to be without concern for the patient and the problems it is causing in the society.
Violence, Deaths Murders and Suicides from mind drugs.
SSRI stories
http://ssristories.com/index.php
more below.
Thanks for posting these links. I've been keeping up with this for quite some time now...(not as much as you obviously), but I believe your reporting facts, not subjecture. I have ZERO confidence in psychiaty and personally believe it's totally bogus as a therapy.

Constance
cody

Casco, MI

#42 May 8, 2010
Constance wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, these drugs keep demanding you take more and more.
Pamelor....Hmm, it could help. A friend I had got through decades of major valium addiction when her doctor switched her to Klonipin,(clonazapam). I think she had a lot of help from God though, because she had breast cancer and it started metastisizing into other areas of her body and she was completely healed. The last I saw her, it had been ten years since her cancer and she was still healed and okay. She was a spiritfilled gal with a whole lot of faith, but had gotten into valium way back in her teen years after a horrible rape experience and had been badly traumatized over the ordeal.
Terri...I've seen God heal terminal brain cancer, and non-hodgkins lymphoma in it's latter stages. I've seen God deliver from chronic alcohol and drug addiction. I've seen him heal serious back, joint, eye and hearing problems. Well, really....just about anything and everything, including depression. I've seen it, and I just figure he can heal anyone of anything. After all, he's God.
I have a feeling this deal is going to be different for you than it was before. You can't judge by what didn't work before.
I'm going to get around to posting more healings I've known about on the blog as soon as I can, including a few of my own.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nortriptyline
How do you know if it's in God's will to heal you ?
Not everyone gets healed. I know one of my pastors' was, the other not.

One of my pastors committed suicied in the church office. Hung himself. Our church never told any of us why ?
It fell apart soon after. We were fairly close.

So much I don't understand ?
cody

Casco, MI

#43 May 8, 2010
btdt wrote:
If you are indeed the same person who posted on pp that brain and genitalia are the two sites antidepressants are lodge in the body thought I would tell you I have looked for a common denominator and found only herpies as a common denominator as it can affect both areas. Now I wonder what these two areas have in comman that would attract this virus that could be the same thing that causes the ads to lodge there any ideas/ This from a google search
Signs and Symptoms
HSV infection causes several distinct medical disorders. Common infection of the skin or mucosa may affect the face and mouth (orofacial herpes), genitalia (genital herpes), or hands (herpes whitlow). More serious disorders occur when the virus infects and damages the eye (herpes keratitis), or invades the central nervous system, damaging the brain (herpes encephalitis). Patients with immature or suppressed immune systems, such as newborns, transplant recipients, or AIDS patients are prone to severe complications from HSV infections. HSV infection has also been associated with cognitive deficits of bipolar disorder,[2] and Alzheimer's disease,[3] although this is often dependent on the genetics of the infected person.
There is a single report of a systemic infection with HSV-2, where a healthy 28-year old woman with a healthy immune system died 12 days after contracting the virus.[4]
In all cases HSV is never removed from the body by the immune system. Following a primary infection, the virus enters the nerves at the site of primary infection, migrates to the cell body of the neuron, and becomes latent in the ganglion.[5] As a result of primary infection, the body produces antibodies to the particular type of HSV involved, preventing a subsequent infection of that type at a different site. In HSV-1 infected individuals, seroconversion after an oral infection will prevent additional HSV-1 infections such as whitlow, genital herpes, and keratitis. Prior HSV-1 seroconversion seems to reduce the symptoms of a later HSV-2 infection, although HSV-2 can still be contracted. Most indications are that an HSV-2 infection contracted prior to HSV-1 seroconversion will also immunize that person against HSV-1 infection.[6]
interesting the bipolar makes one wonder about the affects of ads in relation to this hmmm???
This is weird. I had a friend slowly lose her mind after herpies went to her brain. She lived, barely, but now she isn't the same person.
I had shingles when I lost it in 1993.
I get cold sores, same thing.
I worry it could happen again, but the outside influences are gone.
btdt

Courtice, Canada

#44 May 8, 2010
Zappelina on paxilprogress.org had herpes of the spine I believe not sure if there is any scientific link to the drug or if she thought so read her posts couple of years ago. The other thing that comes to mind in regards to this was the one and only death from chronic fatigue was a spinal infection of some sort read that on paxilprogress.org too. It may have been called ME not so sure as I have memory issues due to 18 years on antidepressants.
There is an idea from Robert Witakers book that the longer one takes the ads the more apt they are to have cognative/memory issues. You can watch a video of his talk here.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/ar...

Here, medical journalist and Pulitzer Prize nominee Robert Whitaker discusses the widespread use of psychiatric drugs.
His first book, Mad in America, explains the history of the treatment of those with severe mental illness. His latest book, which was recently released, is Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America.
cody

Casco, MI

#45 May 8, 2010
I have memory loss too. Some from the Elevil, I'm sure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Depression Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cause of obsessive-compulsive disorder discovered Mar 20 Humanspirit 1
News Drugs for enlarged prostate can up depression, ... Mar 20 Lemme Think It Over 1
botcho cream for buttocks/hip enlargment (Sep '12) Mar 17 Zanda 41
News Why Gay - Marriage' Has Not Cured Gay Loneliness Mar 7 Tre H 5
News Answers to just three questions can determine b... Mar 6 Humanspirit 1
News When a Gene Test Could Help You Pick an Anti-De... Mar 3 Humanspirit 1
News Few kids receiving mental health care - Zeni (Jul '08) Feb '17 dead Blue Jays pr... 14
More from around the web