Mentally ill turn to e-therapy

Mentally ill turn to e-therapy

There are 44 comments on the The Age story from May 29, 2010, titled Mentally ill turn to e-therapy. In it, The Age reports that:

MENTALLY ill Australians are increasingly being diagnosed and treated online in virtual psychiatric clinics, without ever seeing a doctor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Age.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
HumanSpirit

Nicholasville, KY

#1 May 29, 2010
Australians are over burdened with the mental health industry which tends to declare all personality factors a mental illness. As you know, the mental health industry has no medical model to declare a mental illness because all situations and persons are different.

There has been "No" biological defect that has been found to identify any mental illness or any of the other made to order diagnoses by any neurological study.

Without a test for chemical imbalance the mental health (psychiatry) is limited in the ancillary tests of medicine like an EKG, EEG, blood work or other tests in the diagnoses of a patient. They aren't needed in Psychiatry.

The psychiatric diagnosis is made on the basis of behavior and hearsay. Therefore, the person making the diagnoses could very well be a danger to the patient especially in the use of mind drugging and psychotherapy.

If we respect metabolic changes based on daily dietary habits, weight gain / loss , terms of the survival of the organisms as a person age along with physical conditioning, physical illness, electrolyte level, gender differences , body temperature, I don't see where the Mental Health and Counseling Industry could conform to any consistency in data with consideration to the above to state a person has a mental disease or illness based on chemical imbalance.

There is no test to determine mental illness by any MI.

The profession is a fraud and is attempting power and control over the society.

APA lies to the American Public and puts the society in danger

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp...

Psychiatric "Chemical Imbalance Fraud" confirmed by Three New England States

http://www.nowpublic.com/psychiatric_chemical...

----------
False memory:

Brain Stains: Traumatic therapies can have long-lasting effects on mental health

http://mnemosynosis.livejournal.com/12980.htm...

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#2 May 29, 2010
The USA is the most heavily psychotropic drug medicated country on the planet.

Mental illness is either a genetic malfunction, uncommon or a lifestyle diet condition, extremely common.
HumanSpirit

Nicholasville, KY

#3 May 29, 2010
Palawa wrote:
The USA is the most heavily psychotropic drug medicated country on the planet.
Mental illness is either a genetic malfunction, uncommon or a lifestyle diet condition, extremely common.
Don't overlook that the mental health industry is creating mental illness for job security and political reason.

http://www.naturalnews.com/cartoons/mental_tr...

----------

Psychiatric Drugs: Chemical Warfare on Humans - interview with Robert Whitaker

Pasted from < http://www.naturalnews.com/011353_drugs_Proza... ;

----------

There Are No "Chemical Imbalances"

Snip:

"The hypothetical disturbances of neurochemical function that are said to underlie "mental illness" are just that: hypothetical. No experiment has ever shown that anyone has an "imbalance" of any neurotransmitters or any other brain chemicals. Nor could any conceivable experiment demonstrate the existence of a "chemical imbalance," simply because no one, least of all the biopsychiatrists, has the slightest idea what a proper and healthy chemical "balance" would look like."

"...the views and beliefs of biopsychiatry have nothing to do with the answers to scientific questions in any case: the hunt for biological "causes" of "mental illness" is an entirely fallacious enterprise in the first place; the non- existence of data to support its assertions is quite beside the point."

"The latest edition of one pharmacology text has this to say about the status of depression as a disease: "Despite extensive efforts, attempts to document the metabolic changes in human subjects predicted by these [biological] hypotheses have not, on balance, provided consistent or compelling corroboration." This is a long-winded way of admitting that not even a scrap of evidence supports the idea that depression results from a "chemical imbalance." Yet patients are told every day - by their doctors, by the media, and by drug company advertising - that it is a proven scientific fact that depression has a known biochemical origin. It follows directly that millions of Americans are being lied to by their doctors; and people surely can't give informed consent for drug treatment when what they're being "informed" by is a fraud.... To sum up: there is no evidence whatsoever to support the view that "mental illness" is biochemical in origin; in other words, things like "Unipolar Disorder" and "Attention Deficit Disorder" simply do not exist."

http://www.adhd-report.com/biopsychiatry/bio_...
HumanSpirit

Nicholasville, KY

#4 May 29, 2010
How to survive a psychiatric evaluation without getting locked up

Pasted from < http://www.mentalhealthportland.org/... ;

Suppose you’re in the hospital emergency room. Suppose they suspect you might need to be in the psychiatric unit. And suppose you really don’t need to be there.
What’s the best way to handle the intake process? How do you answer those questions so you still have a chance of getting home that evening?
Jean MacDonald, speaking at Ignite Portland at the Bagdad Theater yesterday, offered practical advice on getting through a psychiatric evaluation, including a list of questions you might be asked.
What’s your name?
“You might think,‘Oh, that’s a stupid question. It’s right there in front of them on the form that I just filled out.’” But, MacDonald said, in a psychiatric screening, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
Just say your name. And, she added,“Don’t be hostile. That’s a good way to get labeled paranoid.”
What is today’s date?
They allow you some leeway on this one, MacDonald said, so don’t worry if you get the day wrong. Just make sure to name the correct year.
Do you know where you are?
Just answer with the city and hospital name, MacDonald advised. Don’t get creative, or you’re likely to get labeled paranoid and delusional.
Next, you will be given a series of three words, such as “apple, cat, house.” You are told to try to remember the words and repeat them back one minute later. But be careful, MacDonald says – they will also ask you for the words five minutes later.
Then, according to MacDonald, they will ask you to spell a word backwards. MacDonald told the audience that she has been asked to spell “world” backwards more than once, and she encouraged everyone to memorize the reverse spelling,“D-L-R-O-W.”
You will also be asked to count backwards from 100 by sevens. Don’t be too good at it, MacDonald warned, because then “they might think you’re a little crazy.”
Finally, says MacDonald, there are two questions you cannot screw up.
Do you ever think of killing yourself?
This is no time to get into an existential debate, MacDonald told listeners, and do not quote Virginia Woolf. Don’t discuss the times you mused about the meaning of life.“There are no innocent remarks in psychiatric intake.”
Are you thinking of harming anyone else?
Say “no,” said MacDonald, and don’t mention that, gosh, you’d really like to kill your sister sometimes.“Psychiatric intake, like airport security, is no place for jokes,” she said.
She also recommended that you not talk about knowing famous people, even if you do. That’s a good way to get labeled grandiose.
In closing, MacDonald said you should memorize one number: a close friend who can support you during the process. You don’t want to go through something like this alone.

Pasted from < http://www.mentalhealthportland.org/... ;

----------
Sheila

Texarkana, TX

#5 May 29, 2010
Doctors over here give out prozac and zoloft, etc, like it is candy. No kidding, they give out whole bottles of it free plus a subscription for more later. I think it makes people worse than they already were. We've got 19 year olds taking Viagra as a party/recreational drug. Very creepy when your neighbor walks past your house with a perpetual stiffy. Yuk.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#6 May 30, 2010
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't overlook that the mental health industry is creating mental illness for job security and political reason.
http://www.naturalnews.com/cartoons/mental_tr...
----------
Psychiatric Drugs: Chemical Warfare on Humans - interview with Robert Whitaker
Pasted from < http://www.naturalnews.com/011353_drugs_Proza... ;
----------
There Are No "Chemical Imbalances"
Snip:
"The hypothetical disturbances of neurochemical function that are said to underlie "mental illness" are just that: hypothetical. No experiment has ever shown that anyone has an "imbalance" of any neurotransmitters or any other brain chemicals. Nor could any conceivable experiment demonstrate the existence of a "chemical imbalance," simply because no one, least of all the biopsychiatrists, has the slightest idea what a proper and healthy chemical "balance" would look like."
"...the views and beliefs of biopsychiatry have nothing to do with the answers to scientific questions in any case: the hunt for biological "causes" of "mental illness" is an entirely fallacious enterprise in the first place; the non- existence of data to support its assertions is quite beside the point."
"The latest edition of one pharmacology text has this to say about the status of depression as a disease: "Despite extensive efforts, attempts to document the metabolic changes in human subjects predicted by these [biological] hypotheses have not, on balance, provided consistent or compelling corroboration." This is a long-winded way of admitting that not even a scrap of evidence supports the idea that depression results from a "chemical imbalance." Yet patients are told every day - by their doctors, by the media, and by drug company advertising - that it is a proven scientific fact that depression has a known biochemical origin. It follows directly that millions of Americans are being lied to by their doctors; and people surely can't give informed consent for drug treatment when what they're being "informed" by is a fraud.... To sum up: there is no evidence whatsoever to support the view that "mental illness" is biochemical in origin; in other words, things like "Unipolar Disorder" and "Attention Deficit Disorder" simply do not exist."
http://www.adhd-report.com/biopsychiatry/bio_...
I couldn't care less what they say, facts are facts and in this country, the majority of mental illness i found within urban areas highly saturated with chemical lifestyles.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#7 May 30, 2010
Sheila wrote:
Doctors over here give out prozac and zoloft, etc, like it is candy. No kidding, they give out whole bottles of it free plus a subscription for more later. I think it makes people worse than they already were. We've got 19 year olds taking Viagra as a party/recreational drug. Very creepy when your neighbor walks past your house with a perpetual stiffy. Yuk.
I hope they keep it up, the more drugs the quicker people will go troppo and things will change. It's much the same here I'm told, but nowhere as bad as the USA. I never take have a need for any drugs, or visits to doctors, when you have good clean lifestyle you don't need them at all, unlees you're in a physical accident.

I had an older friend who got back with his ex and decided to use Viagra, he had the same problem for a few days, much to the delight of his ex. But it nearly killed him and when she suggested he use it again, he chucked her out. There was a case of a young bloke in Aus I think and he took a bottle to party, ended up stiff as a board on a slab. If you cant do it naturally, why bother, after all it's mostly in the mind and if you keep healthy and reasonably fit, you're always on fire when you're with the one you love.
Sheila

Texarkana, TX

#8 May 30, 2010
Palawa wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope they keep it up, the more drugs the quicker people will go troppo and things will change. It's much the same here I'm told, but nowhere as bad as the USA. I never take have a need for any drugs, or visits to doctors, when you have good clean lifestyle you don't need them at all, unlees you're in a physical accident.
I had an older friend who got back with his ex and decided to use Viagra, he had the same problem for a few days, much to the delight of his ex. But it nearly killed him and when she suggested he use it again, he chucked her out. There was a case of a young bloke in Aus I think and he took a bottle to party, ended up stiff as a board on a slab. If you cant do it naturally, why bother, after all it's mostly in the mind and if you keep healthy and reasonably fit, you're always on fire when you're with the one you love.
Avoiding doctors if at all possible and eating right is the best way to live a healthy life, that's for sure. Over here there is an old saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away", probably one of the best pieces of advice I've ever heard.
As for sex, you are right, the best is with someone you love, no doubt about that.
Trooper

Australia

#9 May 30, 2010
So does that mean the community's are even more unsafe cause they refuse to seek proper help.
how do you no if there taking there sessions seriously.
The law is just so f**kd up
Trooper

Australia

#11 May 30, 2010
Iron Ore wrote:
<quoted text> you're the one who's f*cked up
ow honey sorry to hurt your feelings
Sheila

Texarkana, TX

#12 May 30, 2010
Trooper wrote:
So does that mean the community's are even more unsafe cause they refuse to seek proper help.
how do you no if there taking there sessions seriously.
The law is just so f**kd up
There is no way to tell if a patient is taking therapy seriously, as you say, whether they see a therapist in person or on-line, or if they are just conning the doc. There will always be some people who will be devious about what they are really thinking, paranoids, etc. The same stands true for whether they really take the meds they're prescribed. The only way to know for sure is hospitalization and even that doesn't always work out for the patient.
Sheila

Texarkana, TX

#13 May 30, 2010
Iron Ore wrote:
<quoted text> you're the one who's f*cked up
I think it's time for your meds.
Trooper

Australia

#15 May 30, 2010
Iron Ore wrote:
<quoted text>So why are you f*cked up? Is it because ypu're an accident?
you have so many threads under different names and locations so how long have you been schizophrenic for? and I don't think e-therapy is for you.
You post so much hatred things on topix did you not have a chance to be raised in a safe and loving family environment?I hope you are successful throughout the rest of your life and that your therapy goes well to make you a better human being.
Trooper

Australia

#17 May 30, 2010
Sheila wrote:
<quoted text>There is no way to tell if a patient is taking therapy seriously, as you say, whether they see a therapist in person or on-line, or if they are just conning the doc. There will always be some people who will be devious about what they are really thinking, paranoids, etc. The same stands true for whether they really take the meds they're prescribed. The only way to know for sure is hospitalization and even that doesn't always work out for the patient.
So agree. it's even scary when people play on it

“An Apple a day”

Since: Jun 08

nil carborundum illegitemi

#18 May 30, 2010
Ha ha ha ha ha. Great thread.
David Thorn

Australia

#19 May 30, 2010
Iron Ore ant you seriously racist. Mental illness is a serious thing and people out there need the support but that's if they want it.
How does it make you feel

Elgin, IL

#20 Jun 3, 2010
angelique770 wrote:
Ha ha ha ha ha. Great thread.
Yes, it's done wonders for you....

Oh wait.

Since: Sep 09

Armidale, Australia

#21 Jun 3, 2010
Sheila wrote:
Doctors over here give out prozac and zoloft, etc, like it is candy. No kidding, they give out whole bottles of it free plus a subscription for more later. I think it makes people worse than they already were. We've got 19 year olds taking Viagra as a party/recreational drug. Very creepy when your neighbor walks past your house with a perpetual stiffy. Yuk.
19 year old taking viagra, that is crazy, taking that crap is crazy any way.

I think if a man and woman is honest with each other, it all works out any way. So many people get confused as to what love is it seems.
Sheila

Texarkana, TX

#22 Jun 3, 2010
legsofahighlander wrote:
<quoted text>
19 year old taking viagra, that is crazy, taking that crap is crazy any way.
I think if a man and woman is honest with each other, it all works out any way. So many people get confused as to what love is it seems.
There's sex and then there's love, if you're really lucky you get both at the same time.

I don't think that it's likely that a 19 year old who takes Viagra is thinking about love.
HumanSpirit

Branford, FL

#23 Jun 4, 2010
There is a danger in Hypnotism and power of Suggestion using Psychotherapy especially applied during or after use of the mind drugs.

Hypnotism consists of altering the mental condition of the brain activity. False memory is based on that theory.


Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Depression Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Most adults with depression aren't treated, stu... 1 hr HumanSpirit 1
News Mayo Clinic Offers New Genetic Test to Help Man... (Jul '06) Aug 24 linda bekket 37
News Sleeping pills, anxiety meds may shorten lives (Nov '10) Aug 23 Thatcat 40
News Lesbian, gay and bisexual teenagers also contem... Aug 18 Rev Don Wildmoan 17
News Mindfulness combats depression for disadvantage... Aug 16 Spotted Girl 5
News Accutane Side Effects Exposed: Side Effects of ... (Feb '07) Aug 16 Seanymac 2,558
botcho cream for buttocks/hip enlargment (Sep '12) Aug 14 Shoj 30
More from around the web