Center helps Hispanics shed stigma of mental health ills -- Sou...

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

She went from graphic designer to maid. She struggled to learn English and skirted the law as an undocumented immigrant.
Comments
1 - 20 of 30 Comments Last updated Oct 2, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Legal Immigrant

Coral Gables, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Sep 2, 2007
 
Give me a break. That part about post traumatic stress due the process of commiting a crime gets me. First of all they chose to break the law and secondly if an American mother chose not to feed her kids for a few days she would loose custody of them. I am sick of the double standards. My solution is deport and enforce our immigration laws.
Also I always had a feeling Mexico has done what Castro did with the Mariel boat lift. They cleaned out the mental hospitals and prisons.
Callie369

Muncy, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Sep 2, 2007
 
Instead of spending taxpayer dollars on illegals, buy them a one-way ticket home. Then they won't have these problems which are caused by sneaking around where they have no right to be.
Fine

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 2, 2007
 
This is depression nation, god damm it, stop spending my tax dollars to these Sh***t I am stressing NOW.
artie lange
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Sep 3, 2007
 
Welcome to qamerica where everything is free for ILLEGALS!!!!!!

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 3, 2007
 
neo cons always brand their servants insane when they look for a better job with better pay.

Opening a centre merely masks the problem of slander of ex employees by bad payers, in the forlorn hope that it will bring them back to a pay cut job, below the poverty line "cap in hand".

This thing has happened in the UK ever since Tony Blair got into office.
There are NOW a very large number of "crazy people" over here whom have still not got a leaflet from the doc through the post confirming the slander from a neo con they have probably never heard of at the point of looking for a job related to their education & skills.

Q: Why no post from the doc?

A: the doc has never heard of the diagnosis.

The UK is wreckage, its economy is a lie.

The USA is about to break, its economy appears to be suffering the ENRON accountancy treatment.

Ref to SUB PRIME to see the point.

Have a nice day: Ag
A1ACharles is MyNewAlias

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 3, 2007
 
"...In Broward County, services are not keeping up with the growing foreign-born population, according to Monica Pedemonte, a clinical psychologist and the only bilingual staff member at the Behavioral Health Institute in Coral Springs..."

It seems we can't give enough away. We could receive a tax break if we took care of our own. If these folks require help then they are gonna have to pay taxes and get a green card. I could use a little help right now and I am a USA citizen. Although I am not depressed, I fight depression every day I am unemployed.

If it were not for disc golf I would go nuts.
TheTruth

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 3, 2007
 
Legal Immigrant wrote:
Give me a break. That part about post traumatic stress due the process of commiting a crime gets me. First of all they chose to break the law and secondly if an American mother chose not to feed her kids for a few days she would loose custody of them. I am sick of the double standards. My solution is deport and enforce our immigration laws.
Also I always had a feeling Mexico has done what Castro did with the Mariel boat lift. They cleaned out the mental hospitals and prisons.
BINGO! Castro has outsmarted the US over and over again. Mariel was full of gays, mental patients, and criminals. I was in Miami at the time and saw this almost immediately. meanwhile, the US government did and still does nothing to protect us.
Titzel Phritz

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 3, 2007
 
Seems like the centers need more help to keep up with the evergrowing "customers". Lets staff these places with ICE agents so they get the right treatment.
lou

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 3, 2007
 
Illegal is illegal is illegal. Illegal is NOT legal. Our services are for legals, NOT illegals.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 3, 2007
 
lou wrote:
Illegal is illegal is illegal. Illegal is NOT legal. Our services are for legals, NOT illegals.
Be thankful that over there the government of the day did not declare you illegal when the local recruitment agencies called for a day labourer when you were looking for a decent job and the local jobcentre forwarded YOUR name with permanence attached.

Under those circumstances I became illegal as a result of refusal of permanent ad hoc day labour, and remain proud enough to state that I will vote the incumbent blairites out of office, as a direct result of their actions against me personally.
I hear that Florida disenfranchised its day labourers.

I suggest you do the same to yours BEFORE the neo cons from the Bush ranch do the same to you.
Hispana

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 3, 2007
 
This article bring to the front burner the issue of mental Health- but is more damaging than helpful . By narrowing Hispanics with Mental Health issues to those who crossed the border, we obtained shallow coments as those above, they have concentrated in inmigration instead of Mental Health.

In addition to Mexicans crossing borders we have children that have witnessed horror stories in Central America during war. Those children, were enlisted , armed and sent to the jungle to fight as early as 8 years of age.

In Colombia, FARC, is a group of terrorist that not only have captured and kept americans for years, but also go thru farms , rape and enlist children to served their cause ( they are allies of US either)

In south America, specifically, Chile and Argentina, military governement imposed by foreign governments" kills thousand of people, sink their legs in cement , and then throwed them from helipcoters into to the ocean to later showed up in the argentinean shores .Military personnel captured college students , rape women, sold their babies and later give them up for adoption . Some of these families fled to US.

In Uruguay , over 30 years of poverty under Stroessner, a son of german inmigrant- lead the counry to one of the most impoverished country in the southern hemisphere .The too, escape the government and came to US.

Years of horrifics incident under Fujimori in Peru ..... and much more. Hispanics are not limited to Mexicans, Mental Health is not just a Hispanic issue. Many of these families brought their wealth with them, some made it quiet well, while other are bellow poverty level ; each of them pay taxes, volunteer in your sons/daughters schools, cook your kids a warm meal at school ,they mentor your child and so on .

Latin - America has no Columbine nor Virginia Tech... nor an Iraq ...yet we put enphasis on Mental Health and Hispanic crossing the desert and ignore your own and many more.

Narrowing the issue to Broward County ...just search how many people with mental helath issues are in jail and sleeping in the streets, or search how many children get suspended for behavior/mental health related issues ?
Just look at the coments made prior to this and tell me these people could no use a little help from a mental health counselor.
County

Coral Gables, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sep 3, 2007
 
Hispana wrote:
This article bring to the front burner the issue of mental Health- but is more damaging than helpful . By narrowing Hispanics with Mental Health issues to those who crossed the border, we obtained shallow coments as those above, they have concentrated in inmigration instead of Mental Health.
In addition to Mexicans crossing borders we have children that have witnessed horror stories in Central America during war. Those children, were enlisted , armed and sent to the jungle to fight as early as 8 years of age.
In Colombia, FARC, is a group of terrorist that not only have captured and kept americans for years, but also go thru farms , rape and enlist children to served their cause ( they are allies of US either)
In south America, specifically, Chile and Argentina, military governement imposed by foreign governments" kills thousand of people, sink their legs in cement , and then throwed them from helipcoters into to the ocean to later showed up in the argentinean shores .Military personnel captured college students , rape women, sold their babies and later give them up for adoption . Some of these families fled to US.
In Uruguay , over 30 years of poverty under Stroessner, a son of german inmigrant- lead the counry to one of the most impoverished country in the southern hemisphere .The too, escape the government and came to US.
Years of horrifics incident under Fujimori in Peru ..... and much more. Hispanics are not limited to Mexicans, Mental Health is not just a Hispanic issue. Many of these families brought their wealth with them, some made it quiet well, while other are bellow poverty level ; each of them pay taxes, volunteer in your sons/daughters schools, cook your kids a warm meal at school ,they mentor your child and so on .
Latin - America has no Columbine nor Virginia Tech... nor an Iraq ...yet we put enphasis on Mental Health and Hispanic crossing the desert and ignore your own and many more.
Narrowing the issue to Broward County ...just search how many people with mental helath issues are in jail and sleeping in the streets, or search how many children get suspended for behavior/mental health related issues ?
Just look at the coments made prior to this and tell me these people could no use a little help from a mental health counselor.
This is not only a Hispanic thing and wish people would realize it. How many Jewish people saw loved ones killed during the Holocaust. The survivors often felt guilty that they are alive but other family members perished. How many people who were in the war torn countries of WWII saw all kinds of bad things. Look at the former Yugoslavia and what happened there under Milosovich. Stalin killed millions during his induced famine in the Ukraine where people were so hungry they became canibals. These are all horrific incidents as well but yet many of these people survived with minimal if any psychological problems. These people immigrated to other countries legally and lived productive lives and if they needed help they either had medical insurance or paid to see a psychologist. I am sick and tired of hearing all this whining. Life is not fair, get over it and if life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Missing the point

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Sep 3, 2007
 
Only property owners should have the right to vote, thought this great Nation's Founding Fathers. Judging by the stupidity evinced by most posts here from morons who miss the point entirely, I tend to agree. Most people who so resent illegal aliens don't have the proverbial pot to P__ in. They wouldn't be able to vote. Nor should the ignorant ever have a voice in running a nation. If the Founders had stuck to a good idea, they wouldn’t.
The point here is the damage done by the stigma of mental illness. The obvious answer is to destigmatize mental illness. Easier said than done.
apolitical native

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 3, 2007
 
Another illegal getting my tax money. I can't even afford health insurance for my kids. I think I'll sue the ACLU for mental anguish over all the crap they have caused this country.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Sep 3, 2007
 
Missing the point wrote:
Only property owners should have the right to vote, thought this great Nation's Founding Fathers. Judging by the stupidity evinced by most posts here from morons who miss the point entirely, I tend to agree. Most people who so resent illegal aliens don't have the proverbial pot to P__ in. They wouldn't be able to vote. Nor should the ignorant ever have a voice in running a nation. If the Founders had stuck to a good idea, they wouldn’t.
The point here is the damage done by the stigma of mental illness. The obvious answer is to destigmatize mental illness. Easier said than done.
Too true:

Sadly that stigma along with "gay" is a classic that the neo cons have used on both sides of the pond to impose a caste system where none had previously existed and to blacklist anyone percieved to be on the far side of the prejudice line.

Why was I blacklisted by neo cons?

simple: I happen to have gone to university & passed my geological science exams, just at the point when the creationists took over congress & gave moron mr. Blair oprerating instructions on how to be a good boy & get well paid & looked after.

The gay title failed...(I am not a republican senator) so the morons attempted to pigeonhole me into day labor & branded me insane when I left at point of discovery & began a jobsearch from welfare @ the base of the heap.

Vote em out.

Have a nice day: Ag

ps. having an entire country's resources used against you may in some cases drive people nuts. In my case however I researched the beurocracy & found out what & whom was responsible.
FEDERICO GUTIERREZ- SAENZ

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 3, 2007
 
THE ISSUE IS MENTAL HEALTH NOT ILLEGAL INMIGRANTS !
THANKS
FEDERICO GUTIERREZ- SAENZ

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 3, 2007
 
Missing the point wrote:
Only property owners should have the right to vote, thought this great Nation's Founding Fathers. Judging by the stupidity evinced by most posts here from morons who miss the point entirely, I tend to agree. Most people who so resent illegal aliens don't have the proverbial pot to P__ in. They wouldn't be able to vote. Nor should the ignorant ever have a voice in running a nation. If the Founders had stuck to a good idea, they wouldn’t.
The point here is the damage done by the stigma of mental illness. The obvious answer is to destigmatize mental illness. Easier said than done.
THANK YOU !! WELL SAID
Eric

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 3, 2007
 
Callie369 wrote:
Instead of spending taxpayer dollars on illegals, buy them a one-way ticket home. Then they won't have these problems which are caused by sneaking around where they have no right to be.
.

Some of us came from Europe escaping religious persecution
Hispana

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Sep 3, 2007
 
County wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not only a Hispanic thing and wish people would realize it. How many Jewish people saw loved ones killed during the Holocaust. The survivors often felt guilty that they are alive but other family members perished. How many people who were in the war torn countries of WWII saw all kinds of bad things. Look at the former Yugoslavia and what happened there under Milosovich. Stalin killed millions during his induced famine in the Ukraine where people were so hungry they became canibals. These are all horrific incidents as well but yet many of these people survived with minimal if any psychological problems. These people immigrated to other countries legally and lived productive lives and if they needed help they either had medical insurance or paid to see a psychologist. I am sick and tired of hearing all this whining. Life is not fair, get over it and if life gives you lemons make lemonade.
You an I maybe able to make lemonade out of lemons, but at times, children, are not able to.

The process to take a child from lemon to lemonade is called ' Children mental Health Services" . By addressing this issue at early age, we will save tax dollars building jails later on.

Thanks for your intelligent input.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Sep 3, 2007
 
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>.
Some of us came from Europe escaping religious persecution
soon see the flow going the other way...

have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Depression Discussions

Search the Depression Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Study uses EEGs to guide treatment for depression 8 hr humanSpirit 6
Facing Depression (Feb '11) 16 hr 1 Citizen 15
Depression and Anxiety (Apr '13) Wed david marsh951 7
Effexor Is Good For Brain (Feb '10) Tue btd 26
I dont know what to do Jul 21 Rild85 1
How long before feeling the effects of Zoloft (... Jul 21 Butterflyfairies 15
Mild Depression Treatment Doesn't Always Mean M... Jul 20 Dr Basim Elhabashy 7
•••
•••