Facing Depression

Facing Depression

There are 15 comments on the New Canaan Patch story from Feb 11, 2011, titled Facing Depression. In it, New Canaan Patch reports that:

The symptoms of depression are similar in all people, but methods of dealing with the disease are different in Eastern and Western cultures.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New Canaan Patch.

Hello

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Feb 13, 2011
Mindfulness, shmindfulness hooey!
It's not just mindfulness, I got the greatest benefit by taking refuge--Buddha literally builds up strength in your entire Body, mind complex.

Buddhist practice gives the strength that allows you to block off hopeless, negative thoughts.

As someone who also suffered from depression, I can vouch, Buddhist practice saved my life.

Three years of taking refuge, paid off debt completely! Depression free!

I wish someone taught me the Dharma earlier! Self empowering like nothing else on earth.
True witness

United States

#2 Feb 13, 2011
Everyone, in his own heart, wants to be happy. If we recognize this fact, we will be sympathetic with the one that is unhappy, realizing that an obstacle very real to that person is blocking the way. With a deep desire to help, we will try to find out, if possible, what the obstacle is, and do what we can to restore happiness.

On the other hand, the unhappy, depressed person must strive for a happy state of mind. The Bible gives us a happy hope for the future and being with God's people who are united in the pure worship of Jehovah God as the first century Christians, will certainly help anyone.
Revelation 21:3,4
Laura Suhor

Montréal, Canada

#3 Feb 14, 2011
I am depressed because I have Herpes and I have told Paul yet. What should I do?
Laura Suhor

Montréal, Canada

#4 Feb 14, 2011
Hav'nt told him yet. Fleck!
Hello

Dallas, TX

#5 Feb 14, 2011
True witness wrote:
Everyone, in his own heart, wants to be happy. If we recognize this fact, we will be sympathetic with the one that is unhappy, realizing that an obstacle very real to that person is blocking the way. With a deep desire to help, we will try to find out, if possible, what the obstacle is, and do what we can to restore happiness.

On the other hand, the unhappy, depressed person must strive for a happy state of mind. The Bible gives us a happy hope for the future and being with God's people who are united in the pure worship of Jehovah God as the first century Christians, will certainly help anyone.
Revelation 21:3,4
The only people who know what pure worship is are the Buddhists, all others pretend to worship and worship incorrectly and have IMPURE worship because they can not overcome lust.
Marlin The Psychic

Goodman, MO

#6 Feb 17, 2011
I have seen a lot of people with depressing faces. Old women with puckered faces are maybe some of the the worst, than there are those old men with depressing faces.I know lot of people who have depressing faces.

Fat people have fat depressing faces, specially with the MacDonald's happy meal hamburger's in their mouths while they're walking while their fat behinds are bouncing and rubbing their big buns together, and shaking creating a slight 1/2 of 1% tremor earth quake. Now when depressing people are bathing it takes so much soap to get all the fatty grease from years of burgers off their body, especially the built up grease secreting from their fat filled glands from over the years. That most certainly is depressing.

Depressing faces. They are around you. When you are in a crowded place around a lot of people, and someone lets a fart, peoples faces start to pucker, people are looking around like who let the fart when they know it was Bhikkhu_Samahita standing in the crowd that let the fart. That is depressing.

Facing depression.
Marlin The Psychic

Goodman, MO

#7 Feb 17, 2011
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
The only people who know what pure worship is are the Buddhists, all others pretend to worship and worship incorrectly and have IMPURE worship because they can not overcome lust.
Yeah. Christian are always opening their big mouths talking ignorantly about their pseudo Jew God. The God that has always made people happy with killing millions of humans and animals over the thousands of years all over the earth. This takes away their depression by killing something, if nothing else an animal, much like their goddess they worship Sarah Palin with killing than bragging about it. Christian thrive off death. To end opposition they want to label opposition anti-semen-nights. Hell wasn't a Jew in the bible that could keep his dick in his pants. David the Zionist supremacist murder a man for old lady. Screwed her and had his son Solomon with here, he grew up and screwed according to their fake Bible a thousand women, so many it said their God hated him, that he did away with liking his stinky azz. Buddhist on the other hand have the truth. They give life, they carry the greater burden. Let their killing by their God and the oppression of peoples come to an end in all countries throughout the world.
Visit me at. http://www.topix.com/forum/who/alex-jones for the truth
Stephon
#8 Sep 24, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.
Gillian

UK

#9 Jan 30, 2014
I've been on Effexor from http://goo.gl/LXY9gr only one week but am cautiously very optimistic. Prior to this I was on citalopram but still feeling very low and sleeping poorly, feeling like I needed to be in bed 12-16 hours a day. Now I am waking naturally after only 8 hours sleep and finding it much easier to concentrate at work. I can hardly believe it is working so quickly but I feel so much better. I've had no side effects.
NERD BUSTER

Norwalk, CT

#10 Jan 30, 2014
Exercise, a good diet and social interactions are the best anti-depressants. Why play with the body's intricate chemistry with mind-altering drugs? Very bad and dangerous. Let nature heal through doing the right thing, depression is a signal that something is out of whack in the person's life.
Hello

New York, NY

#11 Jan 30, 2014
NERD BUSTER wrote:
Exercise, a good diet and social interactions are the best anti-depressants. Why play with the body's intricate chemistry with mind-altering drugs? Very bad and dangerous. Let nature heal through doing the right thing, depression is a signal that something is out of whack in the person's life.
bad social interactions are probably one of the reasons for the depression.

How many really live up to true friendship? When things are looking down how many actually stay and simply love you and guide you without judging?
akshay

India

#12 May 3, 2014
Hello wrote:
Mindfulness, shmindfulness hooey!
It's not just mindfulness, I got the greatest benefit by taking refuge--Buddha literally builds up strength in your entire Body, mind complex.
Buddhist practice gives the strength that allows you to block off hopeless, negative thoughts.
As someone who also suffered from depression, I can vouch, Buddhist practice saved my life.
Three years of taking refuge, paid off debt completely! Depression free!
I wish someone taught me the Dharma earlier! Self empowering like nothing else on earth.
hey are you serious please,write your story in detail,what kind of meditation have you done.
akshay

India

#13 May 3, 2014
Have you learnt meditation from any guru.
Hello

New York, NY

#14 May 3, 2014
akshay wrote:
Have you learnt meditation from any guru.
Now the Blessed One spoke to the Venerable Ananda, saying: "It may be, Ananda, that to some among you the thought will come:'Ended is the word of the Master; we have a Master no longer.' But it should not, Ananda, be so considered. For that which I have proclaimed and made known as the Dhamma and the Discipline, that shall be your Master when I am gone.

Mahaparinibbana Sutta

I took Buddha's words very seriously:

1)Study Buddha's words daily
2)learned Theravada chants step by step.
3)memorize the recollections in Pali and learned to translate the words using Pali dictionaries
4)discuss and learn from fellow Buddhists in forums and books if lacking clarity in any teaching
5) Started with Bhaisajya Guru Dharini - extremely helpful before I learned Theravada and continue since this was my entry into Buddhism.
6) always observe Uposatha vows on the 8th, 14th, new moon and full moon days diligently. Eat only once before noon on these days.
7) eat before noon - it helps to control desire for food and keeps your mind ready to meditate.
8) keep speaking and reading from fellow Buddhists from ALL the different schools-- ask questions if you have any problem.
9)if Buddha said do good deeds morning, noon and night -- than do it diligently.
10) if Buddha said practice loving kindness meditation for safety -- than practice it night and day.
11) Buddha always has a clear purpose -- he doesn't just say something.
12) KALAMA sutta anytime you see something you disagree with and move on. Buddhism does not force you to believe in everything.

-- the more you dedicate yourself and follow rules as Buddha and Theravada teachers teach the more your mind will clear.

Mahayana mantras are very powerful but they don't teach refuge and precepts and recollections before chanting. You have to master these fundamentals. Step by step.
1 Citizen

Norwalk, CT

#15 Jul 24, 2014
2 Timothy 1:7New King James Version (NKJV)
7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
Do something for others and for yourself, like exercise, encouragement, and showing kindness.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Depression Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ecstasy Could Reverse Parkinson's Disease In Mice (Mar '06) Thu Steve 7
News Sleeping pills, anxiety meds may shorten lives (Nov '10) Sep 15 Aerie66 41
News Do You Have a Psychiatrist or a Therapist or BOTH? Aug '17 Humanspirit 1
life live is worth it. get out there and LIVE L... Aug '17 A T Z Thomas 1
News New Hope for Depression Jul '17 humanspirit 1
News Depression in Kids: How Should It Be Treated? Jul '17 humanspirit 2
News 9 lifestyle changes could reduce your chances o... Jul '17 Emerald 4
More from around the web