Do gay high schools protect students or segregate them?

Jan 3, 2009 Full story: r.smartbrief.com 10

The country's two gay-friendly public high schools are safe havens, say gay and lesbian students who have transferred to such campuses after harassment at traditional high schools. While some are concerned the New York and Milwaukee schools segregate LGBT students without addressing the bullying itself, some educators say the schools act as a stopgap to prevent harassed students from dropping out or developing mental-health problems. What do you think? Comment away!

Full Story

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#1 Jan 3, 2009
I think it's a bad idea. There should be zero-tolerance for violance and harassment against ANY studdent for ANY reason.
ivoryten

South Gate, CA

#2 Jan 3, 2009
Daniel P from Long Island wrote:
I think it's a bad idea. There should be zero-tolerance for violance and harassment against ANY studdent for ANY reason.
Daniel, I would normally agree with you, but in the case of gay students, many schools, sadly, just don't address the issue of gay harrasment at all. If the schools were truly proactive against ALL FORMS of harassment and bigotry, this separate school idea would not even be an issue. So I have to agree that some gay students would be better off separated from other students. I largely blame religion for this sad state of affairs who have preached the message of gay = sin for so long and so vociferously that many people, kids included, think it is O.K. to attack gay people.

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#3 Jan 3, 2009
ivoryten wrote:
<quoted text>
Daniel, I would normally agree with you, but in the case of gay students, many schools, sadly, just don't address the issue of gay harrasment at all. If the schools were truly proactive against ALL FORMS of harassment and bigotry, this separate school idea would not even be an issue. So I have to agree that some gay students would be better off separated from other students. I largely blame religion for this sad state of affairs who have preached the message of gay = sin for so long and so vociferously that many people, kids included, think it is O.K. to attack gay people.
I agree with you. And in mny cases the teachers and administrators are part of the problem. The only remedies I see are tough no-bullying rules that are strictly enforced, and lawsuits to force a change.

“Brutally honest. ”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#4 Jan 3, 2009
I probably would have graduated with excellence had I gone to one of these schools.

I remember coming to school and being afraid of certain classes that I was going to because of students that would harass me. And I wasn't even "out."

Even then, I knew my experience was less traumatic than most. I was not somebody that the average person messed with in high school-I was very defensive and had a reputation for being tough, but I still suffered. However, because I'm out of high school now, I am much more secure with myself and I am a much nicer person. I only wish I had a school like this-it would have been comforting to be in a friendly environment.

Does it segregate? I don't think so. After all, what is the alternative? Dropping out, depression, suicide? Surely this is a more appropriate response. Zero tolerance is a joke, and any high schooler will tell you that. I think it is a great solution.
born that way

Washington, DC

#5 Jan 4, 2009
This is not an easy question. I would go for segregation as an interim solution, I mean it's not going to happen in 99.9% of the school districts in the country anyway. The more important thing at a society level is pushing and enforcing zero tolerance, but for individual children, who have the opportunity to attend a segregated school where they are free to be themselves and develop their potential, good! Gay children in our regular schools are not going to come anywhere close to realizing their potential, they are too busy avoiding pain and torment (or dropping out when it gets too much). Way back when I was in school, I didn't even know I was gay, I just knew I was different, but it was a difference that I knew I had to keep hidden. So I didn't participate, was the loner, the quiet one. If I had knowledge, and support, who knows where I might have gone? Young people are smarter, more aware, today, but if they're gay, they're in the same boat.
ivoryten

South Gate, CA

#6 Jan 4, 2009
Daniel P from Long Island wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. And in mny cases the teachers and administrators are part of the problem. The only remedies I see are tough no-bullying rules that are strictly enforced, and lawsuits to force a change.
You are absolutely right. Real lawsuits with real damaging awards would finally make the public school system stand up and take notice that this kind of shit is not going to be acceptable. It is sad that unless money is involoved, no one, or at least very few, seems to care what happens to gay students.

“Read my name”

Since: Jul 07

Raleigh, North Carolina

#7 Jan 4, 2009
I managed to graduate HS in 1969, but its a wonder I even survived that long. The nasty remarks hurt, but not nearly as much as the punches, kicks, and beatings I received on multiple occasions, and sometimes as a teacher would turn their back and walk away. Gym and shop class were nightmares, mostly because the so called teachers thought a few smacks would straighten me out,.. Ha,..

But even with all that I don't think a separate school is the answer. I would rather see strict anti-bullying laws which have severe consequences for teachers and administrators that fail to enforce those regulations.
Ralph

United States

#8 Jan 4, 2009
It has been a while since I got out of High School (1964), but I remember the time all to well, so far as bullying is concerned. Forget the details, but consider this from the point of the teachers and administrators for a moment. My graduating class had 209 pupils, and each of the following 3 grades had as many, if not more. That mad almost 1000 sutdents. I don't remember the number of teachers and administrators, but I do know that it was far fewer than required by today's standards. We ask teachers and administrators to do ever more work for ever less pay. I would love to see a zero tolerance, but unless society is willing to pay a lot more for schools, I don't think it will happen. There just are not enough staff to oversee every incident, and there are many students who would not report it if it did happen. I have never been involved in education, but, being gay, I have known many who were. I wouldn't do that job for twice what they make.
Short Left Index Finger

Georgetown, Canada

#9 Dec 22, 2009
Separate all gay schools are a brilliant idea.Just like correspondance courses are.I remember kids skipping classes,cheating on tests,copying each others homework,swearing,talking dirty,tatletaling,gossiping,sp reading rumours,and holding grudges.High-school?It's more like Hell School,if you have to go there with straight people.
Jon
#10 Sep 23, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Depression Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is depression curable? Of course it is (Aug '14) Thu Yolanda 13
Terminal cancer care should do more to treat de... Thu Yolanda 1
Anxiety and depression more common among smokers Wed mathewsteven10 3
Mental health alert: Many senior citizens suffe... (May '09) Feb 24 Human at Earth 15
Teaching gay acceptance in schools urged (Oct '11) Feb 21 RC church 54
Is depression caused by inflammation in the brain? Feb 19 HumanSpirit 7
Does illness make people lonely? Feb 19 mathewsteven10 3
More from around the web