How can SSRIs help?

Nov 1, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: About.com

Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors, or simply SSRIs, refer to a specific class of antidepressant medications.

Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated Oct 14, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Harold Fuller

Anonymous Proxy

#1 Nov 25, 2011
SSRI like Paxil works by not letting the neurotransmitter Serotonin be reabsorbed so that it can help lighten the mood of the individual. You may know more about it if you visit this site http://www.paxilbirthdefectlaw.com/paxil-ssri... . It would be best to consult your doctor if you have question about your dosage.
ben

Christchurch, New Zealand

#3 Nov 30, 2011
Amongst the SSRIs examined, only fluoxetine acutely increases extracellular concentrations of norepinephrine and dopamine as well as serotonin in prefrontal cortex, suggesting that fluoxetine is an atypical SSRI.
These side-effects are known as Tardive Dyskinesia/Dystonia (severe body movement disorder, mostly permanent), Parkinsonism (a sign of future Parkinson's disease) and Akathisia (a Neurological driven severe mania/agitation that can lead to suicidality, suicide attempts, self-harm & suicide). It is well documented in the medical literature that these neuroleptic induced side-effects refer to damage at dopaminergic neurons in the "motor system" of the
"Basal Ganglia", a structure deep in the "Limbic System" of the brain.
In contrast in mice with the commonly accepted SSRI theory, it was observed that serotonin levels raised NOT gradually, but rapidly and dramatically and kept on raising during these 4 weeks, an effect that can NOT be ascribed solely to a "re-uptake inhibition" of serotonin!
So in conclusion SSRI not only prevent reuptake of serotonin but likely produce it. Also SSRI effect noradrenalin and dopamine to different extents. The notion that SSRIs are selective is not true and to this day their mechanism of action is not fully clear.
Kathryn Hoffman

Anonymous Proxy

#4 Dec 3, 2011
SSRI help by keeping the Serotonin in your brain available and lighten up your mood. Serotonin is a chemical in the brain that controls general well being. You can check it out at http://www.paxilbirthdefectlaw.com/paxil-fda-... .
ben

#5 Dec 3, 2011
Several facts and truths about psychotropics are never told to the patient. This information is readily available to the doctor. First, we have no clear understanding how these drugs actually work in the brain. As one example, if we review the drug Prozac in the Physicians Desk Reference (PDR) we’ll see under the listing—mechanism of action—“UNKNOWN…but is thought to be…” This is true for over 90% of all psychotropics used today includinganti-anxiety medications(dr Arneson).

Stating that antidepressants make you happy due to more serotonin is extremely simplistic and naive when it is unclear how exactly they work. The chemical imbalance theory of depression is a marketing sham.
It also does not explain why depression is slow to respond when SSRIs rapidly increase serotonin levels in studies on mice. If one simply lacked serotonin then one would feel better rapidly, not in 2-4weeks.
helena

South Deerfield, MA

#6 Dec 4, 2011
i know for a fact that anti depressants caus all kinds of problems for the elderly. heart,stroke unless you take a enderal with it. then again more problems more pills. sister a retired nurse informed me how drs pill pus to fill their wallets. husban had a basal cell removed on his face,no probem the indian dr sais. now a month later its looks all swollen and infected,he calle a few days ago to see the dr who took it out and he was unavailable. who gives a sh-t about the over 70. so my plan is double suicide if this problem is not taken care of. i need a tranqulizer as i ahd taken them on and off for anxiety fo 44 years with no addiction etc. for 6 years i ahve been on my own with anxiety and as i age i am afraid. no the fing dr wants me on a anti depressant. i will take myself out and husband will go with me. if i fail and husband has to go in a nursing home i will burn the hous down before i let the crooked medical profession rip me off. i am not afraid od death as itried it several unreported times and surprised i am alive i really think with all that is happening i did die in 2003
Gus Young

Torrance, CA

#7 Dec 12, 2011
SSRI is an antidepressant that inhibits the re-absorption of serotonin in the brain. SSRIs can be used for depression, anxiety and panic disorders. These type of illness usually have low levels of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin regulates our moods thus low levels of this neurotransmitter can make a person feel down in the dumps. SSRIs help people with those illness by normalizing the level of serotonin in the brain. Although SSRI like Paxil have been noted to cause several side effects like weight gain and birth defects among others. You can see other side effects that Paxil has when you visit http://www.paxilbirthdefectlaw.com/paxil-side... .
Anthony Stange

Torrance, CA

#8 Dec 12, 2011
SSRIs works on the serotonin in the brain by inhibiting its re-absorption. If the serotonin is not reabsorb then the serotonin level in the brain will not be low enough to cause depression. Depressed people often have low serotonin. Then again even if SSRIs help in making the person less depressed, it is also associated with severe side effects. Paxil is one of the leading SSRIs in the market and it is known to cause birth defects among newborn babies. You can also read more about it at http://www.paxilbirthdefectlaw.com/paxil-side... .
ben

#9 Dec 14, 2011
What is so hard to understand about mechanism of action unknown. Many SSRIs effect neurotransmitters other than serotonin.
The simplified explanation of serotonin re-uptake inhibitor and chemical imbalance is an explanation for the masses, so they feel less stigmatized.
Saying people with depression have low levels of serotonin in the brain is a poor theory at best. No human being has ever had serotonin measured at the synapse. This theory was invented after noting people felt happier as a side effect of prozac. This is the same as noting, after administering aspirin the headache got better, therefore the patient must have an aspirin deficiency.
So to spell it out simply the theory of serotonin deficiency cannot be tested or proven and hence SSRIs do not normalise levels of serotonin, on the contrary much evidence exists that they cause imbalances.
christine

Kingston Upon Thames, UK

#10 Dec 14, 2011
ben wrote:
What is so hard to understand about mechanism of action unknown. Many SSRIs effect neurotransmitters other than serotonin.
The simplified explanation of serotonin re-uptake inhibitor and chemical imbalance is an explanation for the masses, so they feel less stigmatized.
Saying people with depression have low levels of serotonin in the brain is a poor theory at best. No human being has ever had serotonin measured at the synapse. This theory was invented after noting people felt happier as a side effect of prozac. This is the same as noting, after administering aspirin the headache got better, therefore the patient must have an aspirin deficiency.
So to spell it out simply the theory of serotonin deficiency cannot be tested or proven and hence SSRIs do not normalise levels of serotonin, on the contrary much evidence exists that they cause imbalances.
You're are right there Ben, I have just been told after 19 months of utter hell, that I now have "functional neurological symptoms caused through abruptly ceasing prozac". Never thought I would ever experience anything like this! My whole CNS has been damaged to some degree. I would agree with a previous post of yours, that the receptors have been damaged. In my opinion this was caused through taking the drug for 2 and a half years, not necessarily stopping it abruptly. The advice I have been given, by a psychiatrist, is to "try" another drug, that "may" kickstart "things". Or to wait it out....and "hope" things repair themselves! What do you think?
ben

#11 Dec 14, 2011
christine wrote:
<quoted text>
You're are right there Ben, I have just been told after 19 months of utter hell, that I now have "functional neurological symptoms caused through abruptly ceasing prozac". Never thought I would ever experience anything like this! My whole CNS has been damaged to some degree. I would agree with a previous post of yours, that the receptors have been damaged. In my opinion this was caused through taking the drug for 2 and a half years, not necessarily stopping it abruptly. The advice I have been given, by a psychiatrist, is to "try" another drug, that "may" kickstart "things". Or to wait it out....and "hope" things repair themselves! What do you think?
It is hard to give you advice as i am only 105 days into withdrawal from prozac after 10 years use.
I would not put to much faith in a psychiatrist; i have seen three and they were all incompetent, authoritarian and manipulative.
The problem with restarting is you may be signing on for life, given your difficulties withdrawing this time. You will also be likely to develop tolerance to antidepressant treatment, and go into tolerance withdrawal, and hence be worse off than now. A psychiatrist will then either change drugs or add more, compounding the problem.
In my experience SSRIs simply make you happy short term and you pay a heavy price long term, same as any addictive substance.
I would hold out for a while longer, but it is ultimately your choice, and i cannot relate yet to such a protracted withdrawal.
I recommend checking out http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/reaction....
I would also recommend seeking advice from "paxilprogress", as there are many people there who have suffered from protracted withdrawal, and have got gradually better. I feel it is better to get advice from someone who has been there.
The problem with taking a drug to help feel better again, is you will likely become dependent on it and then develop tolerance and be in a worse place than now. I can confirm this from my own experience and the longer the treatment the longer the withdrawal.
Best of luck.
christine

Kingston Upon Thames, UK

#12 Dec 14, 2011
ben wrote:
<quoted text>
It is hard to give you advice as i am only 105 days into withdrawal from prozac after 10 years use.
I would not put to much faith in a psychiatrist; i have seen three and they were all incompetent, authoritarian and manipulative.
The problem with restarting is you may be signing on for life, given your difficulties withdrawing this time. You will also be likely to develop tolerance to antidepressant treatment, and go into tolerance withdrawal, and hence be worse off than now. A psychiatrist will then either change drugs or add more, compounding the problem.
In my experience SSRIs simply make you happy short term and you pay a heavy price long term, same as any addictive substance.
I would hold out for a while longer, but it is ultimately your choice, and i cannot relate yet to such a protracted withdrawal.
I recommend checking out http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/reaction....
I would also recommend seeking advice from "paxilprogress", as there are many people there who have suffered from protracted withdrawal, and have got gradually better. I feel it is better to get advice from someone who has been there.
The problem with taking a drug to help feel better again, is you will likely become dependent on it and then develop tolerance and be in a worse place than now. I can confirm this from my own experience and the longer the treatment the longer the withdrawal.
Best of luck.
Thanks Ben, I kind of already knew I wouldn't go down that route again, but sometimes I am weak and need reminding how strongly I disagree with these meds. I have already sought help from paxilprogress and have more or less received the same advice. It's just a waiting game, one that requires willpower that wanes now and again. It just beggars belief sometimes that people you are supposed to trust can inflict so much harm when they're supposed to help. Luck to you too, you probably have an advantage with tapering like you have.
ben

#13 Dec 14, 2011
christine wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Ben, I kind of already knew I wouldn't go down that route again, but sometimes I am weak and need reminding how strongly I disagree with these meds. I have already sought help from paxilprogress and have more or less received the same advice. It's just a waiting game, one that requires willpower that wanes now and again. It just beggars belief sometimes that people you are supposed to trust can inflict so much harm when they're supposed to help. Luck to you too, you probably have an advantage with tapering like you have.
I cannot imagine what is like after so long. I know what you mean, i think about being on prozac all the time, and have self doubt i am doing the right thing; even though i will not go back on it.
I tapered to quickly as well i believe, but am commited now.
I am also angry about doctors and shrinks. Anger is an understatement, as i have missed appointments in the past due to being so wild i might assault my shrink.
I just hope some symptoms start to get better, that way i can feel positive about my brain gradually healing, albeit far slower than i could have ever imagined.
ps i have not consulted a single medical proffesional this time about stopping prozac, as all i have been to are ignorant and arrogant. I told one Psychiatrist i had extremely bad withdrawals when stopping effexor. He had me come off it in 8days and go back on prozac. This did not work and he is a complete idiot. Thats why i never recommend anyone to talk to their doctor. The best advice is from fellow sufferers just like Alcohol Anonymous.
ben

#14 Dec 14, 2011
sorry not literally alcohol anonymous but the same support model
Rob Smith

Chicago, IL

#15 Jan 26, 2012
SSRIs are sued to manage depression by normalizing the levels of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a chemical in the brain that affects the mood of a person, low levels of serotonin were seen in persons with depression, anxiety and panic disorders. Though the exact reason why there is a link between the two has not yet been established. How SSRIs work is discussed at this site http://www.zoloftsertralinebirthdefects.com/s... .
ben

Auckland, New Zealand

#16 Jan 27, 2012
Rob Smith wrote:
SSRIs are sued to manage depression by normalizing the levels of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a chemical in the brain that affects the mood of a person, low levels of serotonin were seen in persons with depression, anxiety and panic disorders. Though the exact reason why there is a link between the two has not yet been established. How SSRIs work is discussed at this site http://www.zoloftsertralinebirthdefects.com/s... .
Interesting considering no human being has had serotonin measured at the synapse-- ever! I assume you mean low levels, as in blood tests -- entirely irrellevant, as 95% of serotonin is found throughout the body, though this tells us nothing about levels in the brain.
The link is simple just like MDMA and LSD, which both act on serotonin: no they do not fix a chemical imbalance, but create one that makes you feel good. Drugs masquerading as medication.
Milo

Ireland

#23 Aug 5, 2013
http://inhousegeneric.com is an honest and genuine online pharmacy. We were not sure at first because this was our first order of generic medication from this pharmacy. Although it takes a bit long because it got stuck with custom, we are completely sastisfied with this online pharmacy.
You won't be disappointed with them. Their customer service is great too although they need to improve their phone system a bit more. If you need to call them just be sure to call during their working hours. Other than that we highly and sincerely recommend this online pharmacy to everyone.
Tobias

Romania

#24 Aug 16, 2013
Naturally, I am skeptical of everything online. http://inhousegeneric.com is legitimate. I placed my first order for the smallest amount possible. It arrived sooner than expected. I didn't pay the extra money for speedy air mail. I placed another order that was much larger and it came right on time. I will definitely use this company again for even larger orders now that I trust them. They also give you discounts every time you place an order which is cool. One thing to keep in mind is if you place a larger order, they will send half in one shipment, and then the other half after that to avoid customs scrutinizing your package. I am very happy, I no longer need to pay tons of money to see a doctor and therapist (and have them tell me a bunch of stuff I already know) in order to get my medication.
HumanSpirit

Interlachen, FL

#26 Aug 20, 2013
Ever notice that the sales from Pharmaceutical Companies follow any discussion on mind drugs and effects.

The PR is to saturate the public with sales by false marketing to discourage participating in forum or stating your opinion.

No doubt the pharmaceutical industry is behind this
chrissy

Bristol, UK

#28 Aug 23, 2013
ben wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot imagine what is like after so long. I know what you mean, i think about being on prozac all the time, and have self doubt i am doing the right thing; even though i will not go back on it.
I tapered to quickly as well i believe, but am commited now.
I am also angry about doctors and shrinks. Anger is an understatement, as i have missed appointments in the past due to being so wild i might assault my shrink.
I just hope some symptoms start to get better, that way i can feel positive about my brain gradually healing, albeit far slower than i could have ever imagined.
ps i have not consulted a single medical proffesional this time about stopping prozac, as all i have been to are ignorant and arrogant. I told one Psychiatrist i had extremely bad withdrawals when stopping effexor. He had me come off it in 8days and go back on prozac. This did not work and he is a complete idiot. Thats why i never recommend anyone to talk to their doctor. The best advice is from fellow sufferers just like Alcohol Anonymous.
Hi Ben, if you get this notification was wondering how you are doing now in 2013? Chrissy
Amoz

Germany

#29 Sep 15, 2013
have been researching for months and reading reviews for each pharmacy and finally decided to take the plunge and order from one. After coming to the conclusion http://goo.gl/bLFWQG seemed the most safest and had the best feedback I ordered my pills. Was very apprehensive at first due to cc fraud, ell and they are good i would definetely recommend and purchase againspam and being generally ripped off (have not received one spam email and no cc fraud) order process and checkout was simple.
placed my order on my debit card and was charged straight away and received confirmation email immediately. choose the speedy del trackable and was advised del would be 7-9 days and order was placed on the 08/01. was just about to email them today to chase up as now 15 days but behold package had been posted through my door. packaging seems as shown on webiste. apart from small delay on advertised shipping time i have been generally please with the pharmacy.
wont be taking the pills for another few weeks yet but all going well and they are good i would definetely recommend and purchase again from them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Depression Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Lancet journals: Three-quarters of depresse... Aug 29 MMR CAUSES AUTISM 2
Adding therapy to meds may speed depression rec... Aug 29 robina 2
Is depression curable? Of course it is Aug 29 HumanSpirit 1
Accutane Side Effects Exposed: Side Effects of ... (Feb '07) Aug 28 Guller 2,553
Viagra May Help Women (Jul '08) Aug 28 jennis 4
How long before feeling the effects of Zoloft (... Aug 27 DeniseT 35
Trouble sleeping: a warning sign of suicide in ... Aug 27 Pharma Maims Kills 8
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Depression People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••