Xxxxy Xxyy Xxyy

When the makers of Paxil wanted to make millions in Japan, they had a big problem - depression or utsubyo was incredibly rare. Full Story

Since: Mar 09

Monterey Peninsula, CA

#2 Jul 18, 2010
Joy's columns usually have holes in their logic, but I can usually follow them. This one is such a confusing mess that I can't even tell what her point is.

-Mr. Toy
www.montereypeninsula.info
Chemically Imbalanced

Pacific Grove, CA

#4 Jul 25, 2010
With all due respect, I don't think you should be writing about whether or not people should take their psych meds. Are you a psychiatrist? People with mental illness already don't want to take their meds. Maybe they have " a cold of the soul," or maybe it's an actual chemical imbalance. Do you have mental illness in your family? My father's mental illness was easily treated with Thorazine, but when he didn't take it he did weird things- like shoot his wife in the head and then shoot himself. Why don't you leave the diagnosing and prescribing to psychiatrists. Mental illness has enough of a stigma without people bashing psychiatric meds and some mentally ill people would be more than happy to think that all they have to do is- "have an active, assertive interest in your own life."- and they'll be o.k. Sometimes I think things that aren't true and I try to hurt myself. You know what helps? A trip to my psychiatrist to tell him what I'm thinking and taking the meds that he prescribes for me. Would you deem to tell a diabetic how to manage their diabetes without their insulin? My nephew was diagnosed with diabetes @ age 18 months. It had nothing to do with diet or lack of exercise. His pancrease wasn't working properly. Just because you can't quantatively measure a chemical imbalance doesn't mean it's not there. Why don't you write about something you've gone to school for. You doesn't need to tread into territory you're not educated in. Every year about a million people die from suicide, I guess they just didn't take enough interest in their own life? Or maybe they had a chemical imbalance? Who knows? Not you. No offense intended, I've just been around enough chemically imbalanced people in my life, to realize that some things are just out of our control and we need to seek help from professionals instead of trying to deal with it ourselves. Your article is encouraging people to try to control their thoughts on their own, when the quite possibly might not be "in their right mind.
Amused

Salinas, CA

#5 Jul 25, 2010
Chemically Imbalanced wrote:
With all due respect, I don't think you should be writing about whether or not people should take their psych meds. Are you a psychiatrist? People with mental illness already don't want to take their meds. Maybe they have " a cold of the soul," or maybe it's an actual chemical imbalance. Do you have mental illness in your family? My father's mental illness was easily treated with Thorazine, but when he didn't take it he did weird things- like shoot his wife in the head and then shoot himself. Why don't you leave the diagnosing and prescribing to psychiatrists. Mental illness has enough of a stigma without people bashing psychiatric meds and some mentally ill people would be more than happy to think that all they have to do is- "have an active, assertive interest in your own life."- and they'll be o.k. Sometimes I think things that aren't true and I try to hurt myself. You know what helps? A trip to my psychiatrist to tell him what I'm thinking and taking the meds that he prescribes for me. Would you deem to tell a diabetic how to manage their diabetes without their insulin? My nephew was diagnosed with diabetes @ age 18 months. It had nothing to do with diet or lack of exercise. His pancrease wasn't working properly. Just because you can't quantatively measure a chemical imbalance doesn't mean it's not there. Why don't you write about something you've gone to school for. You doesn't need to tread into territory you're not educated in. Every year about a million people die from suicide, I guess they just didn't take enough interest in their own life? Or maybe they had a chemical imbalance? Who knows? Not you. No offense intended, I've just been around enough chemically imbalanced people in my life, to realize that some things are just out of our control and we need to seek help from professionals instead of trying to deal with it ourselves. Your article is encouraging people to try to control their thoughts on their own, when the quite possibly might not be "in their right mind.
I just don't understand why the Herald keeps printing this woman's columns. They are counterproductive at best and actively harmful at worst.
neutral

Pacific Grove, CA

#6 Jul 26, 2010
Amused wrote:
<quoted text> I just don't understand why the Herald keeps printing this woman's columns. They are counterproductive at best and actively harmful at worst.
I agree. I truly believe that no one should be commenting on whether or not someone should be taking meds, which have been prescribed; particularly when they don't know under what conditions they were prescribed. People with psychiatric illnesses might not be capable of deciding if they need their meds or not, advocating changing your attitude instead of taking meds shows a real lack of understanding of the dynamics of mental illness. I realize Joy might only be speaking of people who don't really need the meds; but people who truly DO need meds sometimes think they don't need them, also. People with mental illness frequently are looking for reasons to stop their meds, because the side effects can be so unpleasant. But, whether or not a person should take meds should only be discussed by the patient and their prescriber. If the patient doesn't agree with their prescriber, then they should, perhaps, consult with another mental health professional for a second opinion. Giving wholesale advise on psych meds in a public forum is ridiculous. I'm not advocating whether people should take them or not, just commenting that the decision should be made after a thorough evaluation by a professional. To me it's like taking a step backwards in the progress which has been made in the understanding of mental illness. Yes, there are a lot of new psych meds on the market, but that is good thing because finding the correct med for true mental illness can involve a lot of trial and error on the patient's and the psychiatrist's part. Finally finding a med that works can be a real godsend for the patient and their family. Please, leave the decision on whether or not to take meds to the professionals.
btdt

Ajax, Canada

#7 Jul 27, 2010
I made the choice to come off my meds by myself and I believe it I did not do it when I did I would be dead by now due to side effects or drug induced insanity. I know you don't want to tell other people what to do well neither do I but there is two sides to every story and this one is no exception.

There are many books written on this issue and maybe you people here have not read any of them here are a couple of titles for you.
Prozac Backlash by Dr Glenmullen yep a doctor
Anatomy of an Epidemic By Roger Whittaker which says the same thing I just did the meds made me mad. Getting over the madness takes a long long time and it is not pretty.

Every drug has a down side be sure you can afford the price of the down side research everything for yourself as you are the one that will pay the price with the quality of your life not some flashy ad campaign writer don't be fooled and ruled by a drug that maybe you really don't need. Double check every med and not just the drug promo sites dig deep see what other people have to say after 10-20 years on the drug. Then if it looks good give it a go. BTW it takes 20 -30 years of a drug being on the market to truly tell if it is safe or not. The people who take it in the first 10 or so years are the real drug trial. AS stated in Doctor Glenmullen book listed above. Think hard look for non drug ways of dealing with all issues especially if the drug is of questionable safety or new which means the same thing to me.
neutral

Pacific Grove, CA

#8 Jul 28, 2010
btdt wrote:
I made the choice to come off my meds by myself and I believe it I did not do it when I did I would be dead by now due to side effects or drug induced insanity. I know you don't want to tell other people what to do well neither do I but there is two sides to every story and this one is no exception.
There are many books written on this issue and maybe you people here have not read any of them here are a couple of titles for you.
Prozac Backlash by Dr Glenmullen yep a doctor
Anatomy of an Epidemic By Roger Whittaker which says the same thing I just did the meds made me mad. Getting over the madness takes a long long time and it is not pretty.
Every drug has a down side be sure you can afford the price of the down side research everything for yourself as you are the one that will pay the price with the quality of your life not some flashy ad campaign writer don't be fooled and ruled by a drug that maybe you really don't need. Double check every med and not just the drug promo sites dig deep see what other people have to say after 10-20 years on the drug. Then if it looks good give it a go. BTW it takes 20 -30 years of a drug being on the market to truly tell if it is safe or not. The people who take it in the first 10 or so years are the real drug trial. AS stated in Doctor Glenmullen book listed above. Think hard look for non drug ways of dealing with all issues especially if the drug is of questionable safety or new which means the same thing to me.
I understand where you're coming from. Psych meds truly are trial and error on the patient's and the prescriber's part and a lot of people have had really bad experiences with them. My objection was with Joy casually commenting on them without knowing who might read her article and who might decide to stop taking their meds and just change their way of thinking. Psych meds can have nasty withdrawal symptoms and some need to be tapered down slowly before you completely stop them. Some people really need their meds and don't have a healthy enough thought process to make that decision on their own. Because the meds do effect everyone's brain chemistrys differently I think they should only be prescribed by a qualified psychiatrist and with vigilant monitoring. Deciding what one should or should not be taking is a very delicate process. It sounds like you have gone through a very bad experience with them. I hope you are feeling better now. Having a bad experience with psych meds can be a nightmare, but it also sounds like you've done a lot of research. I guess the point I was trying to make was, don't decide whether or not to take your meds based on a column in a newspaper, but with the help of a qualified psychiatrist and through lots of reasearch, if your brain is healthy enough to do the proper research. I just thought it was not a good idea for Joy to comment on this particular subject and on what someone should or shouldn't do, without knowing who her audience may be. A bi-polar or schizophrenic person might get the wrong idea. Thanks for sharing your experience because you made a lot of good points.
btdt

Ajax, Canada

#9 Aug 11, 2010
There are some books articles written that I have read which state these drugs can actually induce such things as schizophrenic bipolar reaction. So the ones you warn I would have to say these may be the people who need off the drugs most. It was listening to my doctor that kept me drugged for 18 years this is not a bad experience with a drug this is a life time.
This is my life time.

years 29-47 down the tubes in and out of withdrawal side effect years wasted it how it looks to me now not even just wasted but in torment mental and physical

Robert Whitaker sites research in his book that people on pych drugs have their life shortened by 12-20 years just thought I would throw that in there to add to the 18 I have already wasted...

This is my life and I made my choice after becoming so ill I mystified my doctors finally after trying everything else I quit.
To suggest that people with bipolar or schizophrenia are not equipped to make this choice is dead wrong in my opinion it may well be drug induced. If you can find a way to disprove this I welcome the evidence but as it stands today I think any evidence you can come up with will be from a pharma funded study and I would have to ignore it.

I have read Robert Whitakers book Anatomy of an Epidemic and there are other ways other countries are dealing with schizophrenia that work that do not always include drugs here drugs are the only answer to everything do to marketing to doctors and patients. As for bipolar I suggest your read the previous links I have posted about antidepressant induced bipolar.
This is well know old story about bipolar at this point.
FYI I was put on prozac my first antidepressant for pain in my leg I had no psych problems then but I sure got a basket full in the next 18 years. Holding my own now at 33 months off drugs. I am not pretending it is easy it has been a torturous hellish experience going cold turkey and I suggest everyone taper off slowly. So far I would have to say I am getting better everyday it may not seem like it....it is slow in looking back at where I was a year ago or two that I can see the improvement. The only way out is through it.
Constance

Pryor, OK

#10 Aug 11, 2010
Hi btdt, I read your comments with interest, and I believe you make a lot of sense. I too had serious problems with antidepressants given to me in high doses. After 7 nightmarish years of depression, they just weren't helping. Then the panic attacks started as well.
Back then, we didn't have the information available about the serious side effects of these psyche drugs.
I'm not saying either..that folks should never take them, but they should study what their taking carefully, and not just take their doctor's word for it.
I was healed spiritually and totally delivered from depression and panic attacks. I realize not everyone can grasp that, but it was real for me.
In any case, it's been years since I took those psyche drugs, and recently, my dr wanted to put me on Cymbalta for back and fibromyalgia pain. I said no. Then she wanted to try Zoloft, and again I said NO. This is my personal experience and opinion but I don't think it's wise to dabble casually with one's delicate brain system, especially for an unrelated problem. This appears to be quite common now, as if psyche drugs can be handed out like candy for anything and everything carte blanche, with little or no concern for side effects,
Congrats on getting your life back!

Constance
Mateo

Ireland

#11 Aug 5, 2013
http://inhousegeneric.com is an honest and genuine online pharmacy. We were not sure at first because this was our first order of generic medication from this pharmacy. Although it takes a bit long because it got stuck with custom, we are completely sastisfied with this online pharmacy.
You won't be disappointed with them. Their customer service is great too although they need to improve their phone system a bit more. If you need to call them just be sure to call during their working hours. Other than that we highly and sincerely recommend this online pharmacy to everyone.
Alexis

Romania

#12 Aug 16, 2013
Naturally, I am skeptical of everything online. http://inhousegeneric.com is legitimate. I placed my first order for the smallest amount possible. It arrived sooner than expected. I didn't pay the extra money for speedy air mail. I placed another order that was much larger and it came right on time. I will definitely use this company again for even larger orders now that I trust them. They also give you discounts every time you place an order which is cool. One thing to keep in mind is if you place a larger order, they will send half in one shipment, and then the other half after that to avoid customs scrutinizing your package. I am very happy, I no longer need to pay tons of money to see a doctor and therapist (and have them tell me a bunch of stuff I already know) in order to get my medication.
Arturo
#15 Sep 25, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.
Kimmy

UK

#16 Jan 29, 2014
I've been on Effexor from http://goo.gl/DmlKns only one week but am cautiously very optimistic. Prior to this I was on citalopram but still feeling very low and sleeping poorly, feeling like I needed to be in bed 12-16 hours a day. Now I am waking naturally after only 8 hours sleep and finding it much easier to concentrate at work. I can hardly believe it is working so quickly but I feel so much better. I've had no side effects.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Depression Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How long before feeling the effects of Zoloft (... Oct 17 DeniseT 46
Utah universities seek to help students struggl... Oct 10 AngelsandGhosts 1
Mental health issues: Still a lot of work to do Oct 9 HumanSpirit 1
Foods That Make You Happy - Literally (Oct '13) Oct 7 sicknigr47 3
Trazodone as a Fibromyalgia Treatment (Nov '10) Oct 7 Helen 10
Drugs for depression, anxiety tied to preterm b... (Feb '10) Oct 7 Helen 17
Erie ranks 4th among most depressed U.S. regions (Aug '11) Oct 6 Mongo 67

Depression People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE