Dating and dentures
Stan

Munich, Germany

#46 Jun 28, 2011
Deborah wrote:
So how does one tell a date about having dentures? What right words are there to say without feeling embarrassed or ashamed? And when is the best time to say something?
Deborah. I just came across your message dated 2009. I don't know if you still want an answer to your question but if you do, here is my experience. I first met Jane at a pizza parlor. She was with the sister of a friend of mine. I said that I had to be careful not to bite into a hot pizza since it burned the roof of my mouth. She said that that was no problem with her, since she wore dentures. I was a little surprised, but it was good that she let me known before we stareted seeing each other on a rguular basis.
Angel

Santee, CA

#47 Jun 28, 2011
Stan wrote:
<quoted text>
Deborah. I just came across your message dated 2009. I don't know if you still want an answer to your question but if you do, here is my experience. I first met Jane at a pizza parlor. She was with the sister of a friend of mine. I said that I had to be careful not to bite into a hot pizza since it burned the roof of my mouth. She said that that was no problem with her, since she wore dentures. I was a little surprised, but it was good that she let me known before we stareted seeing each other on a rguular basis.
Curious, Stan .... would it have made a difference if you had found out after you started dating???
Leolady821

Fairfield, CT

#48 Jul 19, 2011
Hey guys I'm so happy to have found this forum. I'm divorced and just started dating again. I have been wondering how or if I should mention that I wear full dentures.
Dateless2

Canada

#49 Jul 19, 2011
It's just that it grosses some people out. And in this day and age one has to be beautiful.... unless you know any young movie stars or models who has dentures. and its not a case of trying to keep it a secret, it's HOW?? does one bring it up discreetly during dating. Can't just blurt Oh By the way, Muh teeth aint my own.... lol
It just feels Bad ..real bad and altho it wasn't really totally my fault I want to be a tad angry with our creator, we all should have been allowed 3 sets of teeth if our baby teeth were only practice ones...heh heh
Dateless2

Canada

#50 Jul 19, 2011
I'm guessing that is why I am now dateless too. Someone should seriously start a denture wearer only dating site and service because no ones knows who wears them in your neighborhood,your town/city,country, universe??? It always feeels like I'm alone and the only one in the world who wears them.
jane SA

UK

#51 Aug 9, 2011
Just date your dentist then , then you don't need to tell him he already knows.
Griselda Blanco

New York, NY

#52 Aug 9, 2011
Gary wrote:
I'm 19 !
But i'm only having a partial denture for 3 teeth 1 of which on the front. It sucks. I have a major fear of my mouth being numbed there for im limited to treatment. So far i've had 6 fairly big fillings with no pain relief what so ever.. about 4 more to go! Teeth are such a pain, I can't wait untill I can smile with confidence! The other 2 teeth which will soon have soon be dentured are on the side and show when I smile.
Got some questions though..
Do they ever fall out or come loose when you laugh??
Do you have to take partial dentures out when you eat?? sleep?
Can I chew gum, toffee's sticky stuff etc?
cheers
Let me start by saying Ive had upper partials for about 2 weeks now. i have 4 teeth missing. n i love my new smiles because I'm 28 and its been years since Ive smiled in a picture. To answer your questions mine haven't fell out yet but they do feel loose when i talk a lot and laugh. some foods you may have 2 take them out and they say you should take them out when you sleep but i don't take mine out when I'm sleeping cause you wont catch me slipping. steer clear of the chewing gum and sticky toffee n always brush the way you should've brushed ya real teeth
Angel

Santee, CA

#53 Aug 9, 2011
You CAN chew gum - buy FreeDent .... it is made for denture wearers - sold at the check outs in virtually every grocery store.

Wearing a denture would never hamper me from dating. If someone loved me only because I had real teeth I would not want them .... or if they didn't want to date me because I wore a denture I wouldn't want them either .... MILLIONS of people wear dentures ... or have caps/veneers'/crowns/partials/ implants/bridges, etc. Who cares???? If you are comfortable with yourself and your denture it is no ones business whether your teeth are real or not. It isn't exactly a subjuect that is normally talked about, so I just don't get why you would bring it up or think it's some secret thing that you're ashamed of. Maybe it's me, but I'll be damned if that would define me.
Kelly

Argyle, TX

#54 Oct 14, 2011
What did you end up doing on saying or not saying something?
I have had dentures two years and am mortified. I have not dated (I am divorced) and this is a big reason.
I do not know what to do -- kiss, etc., with dentures in and not say anything? Or something else?
Wouldn't someone guess if you left in yr dentures while kissing?
But I look awful and old without them.
I am paralyzed with indecision. Can someone please help???
Thank you!!!!!

What did you do, Carol, when the time came??:]I recently began dating after my divorce. I wear
full dentures - uppers and lowers! They look very
natural, I am able to eat everything, and my speech
is clear. I smile with ease and do not worry about
my teeth being false. I know that sex is in the
picture with the wonderful guy I am dating. He
has no idea that I have dentures - loves my smile!
For oral sex or french kissing my teeth could be
a problem. Do I take them out at night? Should
I tell him about my dental secret?
Angel

Santee, CA

#55 Oct 14, 2011
Kelly .... my mom was 19 when she got her new teeth .... she had 3 kids - a husband that adored her and kissed her every time he came in the door - I don't imagine her wearing a denture was ever an issue. As I go older of course I realized that her teeth were false - she was never ashamed - she was proud of them - she said her teeth when she was young made her miserable. As you develop your relationship what is sacred btw you and him will just work out - if you don't make an issue of your teeth, neither will he - he will love you and the fact that you smile so easily. Men you love you will not abandon you because of your teeth - if they did, god forbid you should ever get breast cancer ..... I'm telling you .... unless someone has a ridiculously huge set of ultra white-teeth I cannot even tell who has them and who doesn't .... First of all, no one has ever ask me if my teeth were 'false'- If I tell someone during a general conversation I just usually say I used to have lots of dental problems and it finally got to the point where I couldn't save them so I was finally told that I'd be candidate for a denture ... and now I have these. Once you say it, you don't have to elaborate ... and you can stop further conversation by asking them a question, like 'have you ever had dental problems?" .... everyone wants to talk about themselves so the conversation usally just moves on ....
Kelly

Argyle, TX

#56 Oct 14, 2011
So what's the best thing to do, do i have to say anything at all to new dates about dentures or even mention it?
Do I leave them in if we have sexual relations?
I'm 55 but look much younger
I would like a relationship; I've been divorced for 7 years and this has made me not want to date. I feel as if I'm less than I should be
Angel

Santee, CA

#57 Oct 14, 2011
Like any other subject .... I don't know why it would come up .... and yes, I would leave them in ... they are a part of you now. But that's me. If your 'date' discovers your teeth aren't yours and doesn't like it would you even want to consider a further relationship with a guy who was that shallow??? Not me ... it's if you love me, then you have to love all the parts of me .... BTW you do not complain about discomfort from your denture and you say you look much younger ... do you know how lucky you are girl??? You are not less - you are more.
sorry

Saint Marys, OH

#58 Oct 17, 2011
Just one question. Are all the people you're considering dating perfect specimens themselves?

I didn't think so.
Kelly

Argyle, TX

#59 Oct 17, 2011
Guys, I'm so glad I happened upon this.

Angel, thank you! You put that in perspective. I, like many, tend to overlook the good and concentrate on the bad.

You all have helped me -- I felt like I was the only one.

I have been ashamed, of myself, and I've felt like a deficient human being because of the dentures.

So, I'll put myself out there and hope to date.

So, I will meet someone for coffee or whatever, get to know them a little and maybe kiss on the lips a couple of dates in?(It's been so long, I don't even know how to do this, dating, anymore)

Should I bring up the dentures well before the sex stage?

What do you think I should do and when? What do you think I should say??

Thank you so much!
Angel

Santee, CA

#60 Oct 17, 2011
WHY would you even bring up the fact that you wear a denture??? Would you tell him beforehand that you have a wire in your bra? Come on, life is for the living - if you don't start thinking more of yourself no one else will .... Honestly - I've never felt the need to tell anyone that my teeth aren't my own ... You need to watch Dancing With the Stars ... and see the scars and burns on J.R. and tell me that you would love him less. You are who you think you are. I think I'm a pretty nice gal and I have a lot to offer my family and friends and none of them has turned their back on me because I have 'false' teeth. Let it go girl ... if your denture fits and you can eat and are healthy then you need to worry about something else .... how about how awesome your future is going to be???(BTW since my mom had 3 children after she got her denture I'd say sex is just fine)

Since: Oct 11

Dover, DE

#61 Oct 30, 2011
This is a dating site exclusively for denture wearers http://www.denturewearersdating.com
Craig Jones

Ormond Beach, FL

#62 Nov 5, 2011
Write to me at yahoo: Eros_80. Wish to get to know you. I'd date you...the dentures on a young woman could only add to your appear.
Grace wrote:
I am 31 years old, and have had a full set of dentures for almost a year now. I still have many many issues regarding this. Before extraction, I had a beautiful smile, and gorgeous teeth. I was diagnosed with periodontal, and my insurance did not cover the procedure needed to keep my wonderful smile. Now I have dentures that are no where close to my old smile. I am single, and the issue has really kept me from actively dating. Recently, an old flame blew back into town, and although he has not noticed the false teeth, I still fight the issues regarding them. I understand this is a self-esteem issue, however I feel that if I were older, it would not be such an issue. Our relationship has turned more sexual, and I feel that I am holding back during the kissing and the oral... areas. I am not confident enough to tell him, or to take them out in front of him, or anyone!
Not only do I have self-esteem issues, but the dry mouth is killing me. I miss the feel of my pallet, and there just doesn't seem to be enough water to moisten my mouth. Because of this, my teeth become very uncomfortable in early evening, again, making it very difficult to have an active social/ dating life.
How do I get past this? How can I live a normal active life with a plastic mouth? I read all the previous posts before writing this one, and all had good points... for the 40 and older person. But I am too young for this! There is a huge stigma associated to denture wearers... like that I am gross and did not take care of my teeth, but that is not the case! My smile made me attractive, and now, all I see is a fake smile of plastic teeth! Please, I need some words of encouragement, some how to videos on how to do normal things with a plastic mouth, lol! I need something!
Craig Jones

Ormond Beach, FL

#63 Nov 5, 2011
Email me at my yahoo: Eros_80.

You sound lovely to date...let's talk!
Liz wrote:
Im 24 and my boyfriend is 32. He has full upper and lower dentures. i absolutely love his smile. I wouldn't have even thought he could have dentures if i didnt find his soaking cup in the bathroom one morning. i asked him about it and he was a little embarassed at first, but i showed him that i understand that "s_it happens". My teeth aren't in the best condition either so its not really like i can have a problem with his.(I was in a car accident and had 4 teeth filed down to nubs and covered with porcelaine veneers...they still dont look as good as they are supposed to.) I personally am considering getting dentures. I came to terms with the thought a couple years ago, as I've always had problems with my teeth plus both of my parents have full uppers and lowers. People tell me now that I have a beautiful smile, but I am very self conscious about it. I want that perfect movie star smile and if that means I need dentures, then so be it. Personally i dont understand why some people have such issues with things like this. The pressure we put on ourselves is enough, we dont need other people commenting or anything like that to make it worse. As they say..."mind over matter: people that mind don't matter, people that matter don't mind!"
SMILINGismyNatur e

Cincinnati, OH

#64 Nov 5, 2011
MerryMac wrote:
Since this topic has come back to surface, I want to add that I once dated a man who had a full upper denture. He never mentioned it and had I not noticed Polident in his bathroom, I never would have know it...and we shared some pretty HOT kisses too. ;-)
WELL i think that is everyones BIGGEST concern! haha. The kisses!
I had beautiful teeth and the most beautiful smile. My dad and gramma wore the same dentures for most of their entire life. My gramma got dentures at age 24 and wore the same ones in her casket. My daddy had to get dentures before he even met my momma (she was 14/he 19) and hes in his 80s now...SAME DENTURES!! I never even knew he wore them really or thought about it unless happened to see the stuff in bathroom. LIKEWIZE because of my meds i had my uppers and partial lowers and even myu parents are so pleased with how much they look like my own! No one even knows if you get the right DOCTOR,(yes sometimes it does depend on the PERSON and his adaptability, but that also goes for the DR and HIS personality and attitude. so shop around til your comfortable
SMILINGismyNatur e

Cincinnati, OH

#65 Nov 5, 2011
Angel wrote:
Wearing a denture would never hamper me from dating... MILLIONS of people wear dentures ... or have caps/veneers'/crowns/partials/ implants/bridges, etc. Who cares???? If you are comfortable with yourself and your denture it is no ones business whether your teeth are real or not. It isn't exactly a subjuect that is normally talked about, so I just don't get why you would bring it up or think it's some secret thing that you're ashamed of..
SO VERY TRUE Hon! Love it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hybridge Dental Implants (Jul '12) 2 hr Telcomtechie 169
Full Dentures are the WRONG CHOICE!!! (Feb '12) 9 hr Charlie 463
30 year Denture Tech is here to help answer que... (May '12) 9 hr Addison1906 81
facial collapse (Feb '12) Thu Yolanda 66
A tooth ache with no teeth?? (Mar '16) Thu Yolanda 2
1 year Thu Bugsbunny 1
bad taste & smell of reline (Jun '11) Feb 22 WV1960lori 40
Cheer up New Denture Wearers (Sep '08) Feb 20 Julie 5,858
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) Feb 17 Jethro 1,949
More from around the web