Temporary Upper Partial Plate

Posted in the Dentures Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jun 10

Hudson, IN

#1 Jun 10, 2010
Hi all! I have been browsing your threads and do not see many that have partial upper plates. Two weeks ago tomorrow, I had 4 teeth pulled and got an immediate partial plate. It has been quite stressful as my dental office hasn't really communicated well with me. After they pulled the teeth, I asked about care instructions and found out I should have gotten those at the impression appointment. The lady gave me a scant instruction sheet with no information on the partials. I had an awful sore spot by Tuesday so went back in and the plate was actually shaving my gum causing the pain. That was was fixed and I started asking questions and found out I was giving the care instructions for someone how had one tooth pulled! I went back on Friday to have stitches removed. She adjusted my plate a little and then said I could leave. I asked about stitches and she was clueless! She removed them and gouged the upper gum near my cheek to the point that it's still sore almost a week later. The plate seems big and bulky. I don't think it's fitting my gums right and when I put it in each morning, I feel like gagging for a few hours. I have to go back on the 15th for some fillings so am trying to wait until then since I'm not in pain. I can eat a hotdog or hamburger without bread. The bread pulls the teeth right out of my mouth or it gets stuck to the point I have to stop eating and immediately get the bread off the plate behind my front teeth. It feels like it's moving around when I try to eat. Will it always feel that way? I know you all can identify with what a chore it has become to eat a simple meal or even just trying to plan a meal based on what I can eat.
We are looking to move to Corbin, KY and I really hope I can find a dentist there who will take me. The office here is billing as I incur new expenses and I can't really justify driving about 8 hours one way to an office where I just feel like a dollar sign. I saw a dentist posting here who's location says Corbin, KY and was excited but have no clue how to contact him/her.
Anyway, I guess I just need some reassurance that all this is normal and I will eventually be able to eat and enjoy my new teeth. My other teeth did not hurt but were causing infections. I couldn't afford the root canals and crowns but now I keep thinking I made the wrong decision and it's too late to do anything about it. This is so frustrating!
Angel

Santee, CA

#2 Jun 10, 2010
O yeah, what's done is done .... and it is what it is. Unless you can afford a couple of implants to hold that sucker in, you are probably going to always have a problem eating sticky foods ... try some Fixodent Powder to hold it in. Your partial is just a denture without all of the teeth ... so you might want to read the denture thread because all of that applies to you now. My advice ... do not pull anymore teeth, your problems will just grow. Save your money. Clip coupons and put those savings into a savings account for a couple of mini implants ....
Yes, there used to be a dentist who read our threads and was very valuable, but hasn't posted in months. And never used a real name. Although I got the impression that it may have been female.
Yes, this is all normal .... what is normal for you will be different than everybody else who is living with their new normal.... like I said, try the Fixodent, use warm salt water to help heal your mouth, and take smaller bites ..... don't pull on your food, but rather push it against the teeth and bite straight down - you probably can't grind correctly anymore, so you're going to probably have to adapt to the new up-down, chomp-chomp version of chewing .... let me know how the powder works for you.(don't put it on your traumatized gums .... just on the palate for now)

Since: Jun 10

Hudson, IN

#3 Jun 10, 2010
Thanks for your reply, Angel. I have been reading many of your replies to others and about your own struggles.

I asked about using the adhesives and the dental assistant told me that I should not use any. She said that if I started, then I would have to use it the rest of my life.

As far as pulling any more teeth. I need 5 fillings but other than that, my teeth are in really good shape. I intend to take better care of my mouth and see a dentist more regularly than I have in the past. Guess I had to learn that lesson the hard way!

I'm sure glad I stumbled on this place. I spent many hours searching for others before ending up here. No one ever told me I would have to chew differently. I went into this pretty blindly!
Angel

Santee, CA

#4 Jun 11, 2010
Your dental assistant is right ... so, be prepared to make more than several trips back and forth to get that partial to fit absolutely perfect. If your partial has metal clips on it, it should stay put ... but if it's a free floater I'd sure like to find out how you get it not to flip when you bite down unless you have something to help hold it. I am so happy to hear that you are going to be a dental fanatic ... save them all .... everyone of them! If you have too many problems ask about getting a permanent fixed bridge with an implant or two ... sounds like you are a perfect candidate.
JReeves63

Ft Mitchell, KY

#5 Jul 20, 2010
I just had three upper teeth pulled yesterday. I went to Aspen Dental in Louisville. I have to say I've had no problems yet. As a matter of fact, I feel more comfortable with my temporary partial in. It did feel a little strange when I ate for the fist time, but this is day 2 and I'm already used to them.

Since: Jun 09

Denver, CO

#6 Jul 20, 2010
JReeves63 wrote:
I just had three upper teeth pulled yesterday. I went to Aspen Dental in Louisville. I have to say I've had no problems yet. As a matter of fact, I feel more comfortable with my temporary partial in. It did feel a little strange when I ate for the fist time, but this is day 2 and I'm already used to them.
Wow...sounds like you are doing great! Congratulations. ;-)
Gaia

Billerica, MA

#7 Aug 4, 2010
I've have one version or another of a partial upper plate for 14 years. The first set I got was awful -- too bulky. They were so bad I went to a new dentist and had a second partial made which fit beautifully and lasted for the next 13 years. I realized the first dentist just wasn't very good and I'm so glad I kept searching.

Recently I moved to a valplast partial from the metal one I'd had. The valpast is remarkable and my mouth looks even better -- but there is one concern -- I think whereas the metal partial kept my teeth in place fairly well, the valplast may have allowed or even encouraged my teeth to move around -- I'm on the verge on losing another tooth because of that -- and I may have to get dentures.

So just to note that partials can really be a breeze in the hands of the right dentist -- so take care who you choose and get references. And check out what kind of partial you'll get.
Sheri

Miami, FL

#8 Nov 21, 2010
In June I also got an upper partical and had some teethe added to my lower partical the I have had since '79, they have been great. Th upp I have is very bulky as the metal plate in the roof of my mouth seems to be very wide. When I eat the food gets under this metal plate. They seem to be very thin particals also.
I was thinking that some kind of denture padding may keep the upper plate snug?
I am to go in on Mon. to see if they can adj. them. Am thinking I got cheap (material) type particals
shyxxangel

Europe

#9 Nov 22, 2010
hi im getting four teeth pulled tomarow and a partall fitted straight away im scared as i dont know what to ecpect im only 25 but have sufferd greatly since i was little with my teeth if eny one can give me tips and advice and what to expect ur comments wald be great thanx x
Sheri

Miami, FL

#10 Nov 22, 2010
shyxxangel wrote:
hi im getting four teeth pulled tomarow and a partall fitted straight away im scared as i dont know what to ecpect im only 25 but have sufferd greatly since i was little with my teeth if eny one can give me tips and advice and what to expect ur comments wald be great thanx x
Dear Shy,
I too had teeth pulled and partials put in, the best thing is to leave them in for at least a whole day, even at night then next day remove them rinse mouth lightly with salt water, and put partials back in. This was the advise I was given by the dentist, you can still brush your teeth and keeping in the partial helps seal the gums , no bleeding and no infection. If you smoke you will not get a dry socket. Take asprin or ibuprofen for pain.
I just went in today to get mine adj. after 5 mos. now they fit very well.
I have had lower partial since '79 and just now got upper.
I was always afraid of a Dentist from childhood trama with one. They have all new methods now. good luck
shyxxangel

Europe

#11 Nov 23, 2010
sheri thanx for ur comment i have just woke up after haveing a sleeplis night i got two hours before im due there and am so scared. but have to go threw with it. i will update to let u know what happens and think it will be easier with other ppls support who has been threw it. i have read a few horror storys as well so think thats makeing me panic all the more well wish me luck and thanx againe x
Jason

Ballwin, MO

#12 Jan 23, 2012
I just had one of my front teeth pulled yesterday. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to get a partial here in Missouri. Around the St. Louis area. Any info would be great.
bcincinnatiO

Dayton, OH

#13 Feb 6, 2012
I just had four teeth pulled today and a temporary partial put in. I'm not happy with the look of the temporary partial and I'm wondering if the permanent partial will look the same as the temporary partial. I thought when the Dentist took the impression of my teeth, the temporary partial would look somewhat like my original teeth. They are totally different looking. I have to go back tomorrow for the Dentist to check them and I'm really concerned that when my permanent partial is made it won't resemble my original teeth. Any thoughts on all of this?
Melinda

United States

#14 Jun 24, 2012
I just had a partial put in last Friday. Do they always feel to big for your mouth? I don't have any pain.... thank goodness... but I would like to eat something without gagging. Will this get better over time?
diana

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Jul 10, 2012
Melinda wrote:
I just had a partial put in last Friday. Do they always feel to big for your mouth? I don't have any pain.... thank goodness... but I would like to eat something without gagging. Will this get better over time?
NO, they should NOT feel "too big for your mouth"! DON't let this dentist make your permanent partial---find another dentist NOW! I speak from personal experience! If your unhappy with the fit of your "temporary partial" a.k.a. a "flipper", then what are the chances of your dentist doing any better with the expensive "permanent partial"? The upper partial should fit like a glove and look like your natural teeth did! SWITCH DENTISTS!
marie

Walla Walla, WA

#16 Aug 11, 2012
Hi All
I had a partial made a year and half ago and never wear it cause it came back with another person's name in it, yes the tech knew it cause I told her. She blew it off. Now my brigde on other side is loose and they say all my upper teeth need to come out and have a denture put in. My question is it right and should I go to different dentist.
Jan

Castlegar, Canada

#17 Sep 13, 2012
Melinda, I know this is old now, but did you get it fixed? I just got my "flipper" on Friday and it felt big too and I couldn't eat so I went I for an adjustment and she took the sides down so they are nice and thin now and don't interfere with me chewing in my back teeth at all! I still can't chew much on the side that has a molar on it too but I'm sure that will come with time and healing of the extraction site.
Berta

Dayton, OH

#18 Oct 7, 2012
Melinda wrote:
Hi,
I am still on my partial upper flipper but I know when I had my teeth pulled and they put the partial in my mouth felt that way too. I did chalk it up to swelling, and the work in my mouth with the sockets without teeth and I was correct. He also had me back within a week to check them and then told me to call him in about a week if anything hurts anywhere or feels funny etc. I did because the front was rubbing a blister at the top of my inside lip and the other pain was in the back of mouth right by the place a tooth was pulled. I went back; he made some adjustments to make sure my front teeth were no longer rubbing in that spot and I told him the other one may be from the pain of the pulled tooth still and it was. The adustments have to keep being done until your gums are no longer swollen and he will fix the problems then when the o.k is given he will take a new impression and the new partial will be made; that way I understand you do not have to keep having them relined either. They pulled my teeth and then put the temporary partial in the appointment after they took the impression of my real teeth so if you still have swelling it may be causing the problem of feeling too big. My dentist told me from the start it takes awhile to get things right so now I am looking at starting the new partials probably in November and this started in Sept. I am o.k. with that as long as my pain is taken care of and it seems that he really cares about the adjustments. The new partial will not have the bulky part that attaches and it will be some type of metal so we will see then but for now I am as satisfied as I can be since I should not have waited so long in the first place. Fear of dentist are at the top of my list so you know I would not just be saying good things if I did not mean them; I do believe too though the Dentist has to be younger because of new ways of doing things; he has to be nice and caring to relax you, and of course good at the job that is being done. I wish you luck. I have always white knuckled the dentist chair since I can remember. Just be sure to tell the Dentist any problem you have.
Berta
Penny

Greenbrier, AR

#19 Oct 29, 2012
Hi I need a partial, but am afraid I cannot tolrate them. My dentist recommends valplast partials. It is for the upper teeth as I need 4. Does anymore have experience with that type of partial? If so I would like to hear what you have to say about them. Thank You.
Frank

Boca Raton, FL

#20 Dec 18, 2012
I had surgery last Thursday for implants and now the partial is hurting the roof of my mouth. Has anyone heard of any kind of padding to put under the partial to stop this pain?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) 10 hr Miniguff 1,825
30 year Denture Tech is here to help answer que... (May '12) 17 hr Lowershurt 76
Oral Surgeon costly or what? Tue jay_rogers 2
bad taste & smell of reline (Jun '11) Tue jay_rogers 32
My experience with new dentures (Aug '11) Tue jay_rogers 9
Dentist ethics Jun 25 Travy 1
How should new dentures feel? Jun 24 Lww098 1
Denture Adhesives and Useful Tips for New Wearers (Feb '12) Jun 24 Lori 934
More from around the web