Since: Jun 09

Morrison, CO

#1988 Sep 7, 2010
Happy Birthday Angel...so glad you had a wonderful day with family!!!

Morrison, CO

#1989 Sep 7, 2010
debbie555 wrote:
<quoted text>...haven't posted in awile ..still trying to accept my ''new'' teeth ...going back to the dentist tomorrow ..having alot of problems with the fit,but like i keep mentioning ''my lip'' issue what can i tell my dentist in regards to not being able to see my teeth ,not even when i talk ..i'm having problems making her understand that i want to be able to see my teeth when i talk ,she says we can make them longer when it's time for my perm. also said i was'nt ready for soft reline only 1 included in the price of the upper denture ,1 soft and 1 hard thats it...i definitly made a big mistake going to Affordable Denture...i just don't have the means to go else where . thank you for listening
It seems almost barbaric to give only one soft reline. I would check a round and see if you can find a dentist who will help you with this. It really can't cost all that much.

When it's time for the permanent denture, insist upon a wax try-in so you can see how longer teeth are going to look on you.
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#1990 Sep 7, 2010
Debbie ... did your dentist disclose that reline information BEFORE you got your denture, and is it in writing, or did she just disclose that to you now? I would tell her that you don't feel like the after care was explained to you and your were pretty sure that Affordable Dentures didn't go over what would be addional costs in order to get a denture that actually fits .... I would no pay for any soft relines ... that is just wrong - what? your'e supposed to wear their ill-fitting dentures? That's just not right ... you need to make some noise. Doing a soft reline takes just minutes ... and the cost of the material is probably very minimal ... I would tell them that you think it's their responsibility to make that denture fit. Period. Good luck - really - that policy sucks.

BTW ... thanks to all of you for the birthday wishes ... because my point was - 2 years and 4 dentures and 1 bridge (temp) later .... I can finally eat .... anything ...
Teresa

El Segundo, CA

#1991 Sep 8, 2010
Hi again everyone. Been a while - have been recovering from all the trauma I exposed my body to over the summer. Been 6 weeks since my extractions. Have to admit that I still totally hate the dentures. However, I am starting to be able to eat, but not bite anything. What bothers me the most is my talking is still not right and they feel so darn big. Feels like anyone who looks at me knows what I have done. Am praying for the day when I can go for the mini implants (don't think I can afford full implants). Please can anyone tell me of any experiences with the minis and about how much they cost. Have a rough idea from dentist but can't find much about the cost on the net.

Morrison, CO

#1992 Sep 8, 2010
Hi Theresa, I think if you are eating and able to chew after just 6 weeks, you are doing well. The talking will take a while for your tongue to adjust, at least mine did.

I don't have mini's but some folks here do. I seem to remember that a mini implant costs about $500 each and that doesn't include any sedation you might have plus a surgeon's fee.

Morrison, CO

#1993 Sep 8, 2010
Update from Merry Mac:

I saw my oral surgeon today at a moment's notice because I have some sores on the inside of my mouth, on the palate near the site where the implant was moved.

Long story short, I have an infection (which is not uncommon after surgery) and as soon as the Amoxicillin was all gone, it reared its ugly head.
I now have a round of Clindamycin which I started as soon as I got home from drug store.

The good news is that he removed a couple of visible sutures that were ready to come out and I got the okay to start using my water pik again...he suggested using salt water in it for some relief.

Other than that, I am doing well.:-)

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#1994 Sep 8, 2010
Sorry to hear that, MM.:( Man, things just don't want to go easy for you! And yet, you never seem to get worked up about it. Not that that would help anyway, right? ;)

I have a little infected spot where my eye tooth was. Seems like the stitch was pulled too tight in that one or something because I felt pain there as soon as I was "aware" after the surgery. When I told the Dr. it really hurt, he jammed 2 more shots of novocaine in there (I'm needle phobic). If I'd had the energy, I probably would've came out of the chair at him like a wildcat!

Anyway, that spot has swelled, turned white and been real sore ever since. I'm due to get my stitches out in 2 days and the knot in that stitch is actually below the flesh now, with the swelling. I used salt water about 10 times today, trying to get it to go down before the dentist sees it and decides he needs to lance it or something (I'll kill him)! It did seem to go down a hair. I've been on Amoxicillin 675 mg twice a day since my e-day last Friday. It runs out tomorrow and now my throat is trying to get sore tonight and yellowish phlegm is starting to gag me. I just read today about how easy it is for bacteria to get in your blood stream when they pull a wisdom tooth and now I wonder. Also, I didn't realize they could open up a path into a sinus cavity when pulling an impacted wizzie on top. The day after he removed mine (which was impacted for 32 years), I had a big, long blood clot come out of my nostril on that side. My sinuses feel clear for the first time in years though. Probably draining into my esophagus now or something. Maybe my brain cavity.:D
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#1995 Sep 8, 2010
OMG - I am so sorry you guys are having such a tough time right now ... MM .. that just sucks big time ... NT's ... there is a BAD virus going around here in the San Diego area that starts with a sore throat, then goes to the chest ... I don't know where you're from, but that might be what's going on with you. There is another forum member named Thommy that may be reading this and had some problems with the sinus area after his extractions .. maybe you will get some info, or you can go back in these posts and find what was written.
MM - that clindimycin is really a powerful antibiotic ... I don't know if you've ever taken it before, but it just about killed my husband. That stuff is powerful. It should work. I am just so sad to read these posts .... hope you guys are doing better shortly ...
Teresa, it seems likea lot of people are going with the mini's ... you should be getting some response ...

Location hidden

#1996 Sep 9, 2010
Thanks, Angel, but I wasn't really suffering much. That was just my bizarre humor coming out. It would come across better if this forum had any decent smilies! I wouldn't really do that wildcat thing or kill the dentist...:D

I'm from NH, but currently at our seasonal place in western NY. The weather has suddenly gone from 80s to 60s and rainy, so maybe it's just that giving me the sore throat. I usually never get sick... haven't had a cold or flu in years, but I was pretty run down from a few sleepless nights last week. Anyway, seems about the same today, so I'm having some chicken noodle soup now.

No wearing teeth for me today. My whole outside of the ridge on both sides is sore, sore, sore! I assume the swelling went down a lot from all that salt water rinsing yesterday and now the denture doesn't fit. It seems like it was built too tall and doesn't touch the bottom of the gums (maybe on purpose because of my bone grafts?). But it touches the outsides pretty securely, or at least, it did yesterday. I think it was pounding the area where my gums and cheeks meet whenever I chewed.

I left it out all day yesterday, except to eat, then put it in at bedtime. I fell asleep on the couch. When I woke up at 5:00 this morning, I had no denture! I was groping all over in the dark for it, then finally decided I must have just *thought* I put it in. When I got up to go get it, it fell out of the folds of my shirt and hit the floor (carpet thankfully)! LOL That thing was tight when I put it in at 10:30. I don't know if I was sleeping with my mouth open or if I pulled it out in my sleep. I think I'd wake up for something like that.

Guess I'll ask for a reline when I get my stitches out tomorrow. I hope he makes it a soft, cushiony one 'cuz I can't handle the hard stuff rubbing those edges right now.

Indiana, PA

#1997 Sep 9, 2010
Happy Happy Birthday, Angel!
So glad you had an enjoyable day with fabulous food!!

I have chewed the Freedent a couple times and am getting a bit better. I just got my second soft line today and came home to try to eat thinking they would be tighter but I think they misjudged so may have to go back. Will add adhesive in the AM and see how that goes... The adventure continues~

Everyone has to remember it does take time, and it DOES get better. I am not at that point yet myself, but do believe once I get my permanent uppers/lower partial in Feb. I will be happier! Until then, I will keep plugging along with adjustments and some unpleasantness and keep working on chewing and talking!!
Gigi

Hesperia, CA

#1998 Sep 9, 2010
So glad I found this forum. I will be having all my teeth extracted on Wed and dentures put in. The reason my teeth are in such bad shape is that I am sooo afraid of the dentist. I am so scared but reading all your posts had made this a little easier. I am 51 years old so I can't complain.

Debbie, I am also going to Affordable Denture. The one in Redlands, CA. Like you it is what I can afford. I hope I have better luck. My natural teeth have always been a bit big and smaller teeth would be a bit hard to get used to.
Cloey

Fort Worth, TX

#1999 Sep 10, 2010
So yesterday was the extractions and full immediate upper denture. Surprising I really don't feel all that bad. Talking isn't an issue because I've been used to an upper partial for years. My only concern is this, the upper side of my face is still swollen. Well my denture doesn't line up with my lower teeth. The dentist said when the swelling goes don't they should line right up. I really hope so cause that at the moment is my only concern. It was really hard for me to sleep last night. Meds wore off in the middle of the night and that was horrible but I'm a trooper. It's Friday and I go in for a check up on Monday. I'll update everyone with more when I see some differences. By the way anyone no what is real good for breakfast when you can't chew really yet????

Location hidden

#2000 Sep 10, 2010
Gigi wrote:
So glad I found this forum. I will be having all my teeth extracted on Wed and dentures put in. The reason my teeth are in such bad shape is that I am sooo afraid of the dentist. I am so scared but reading all your posts had made this a little easier. I am 51 years old so I can't complain.
Debbie, I am also going to Affordable Denture. The one in Redlands, CA. Like you it is what I can afford. I hope I have better luck. My natural teeth have always been a bit big and smaller teeth would be a bit hard to get used to.
hi,gigi...i hope you have better luck at Affordable Dentures than my nightmare....i'm 53 yrs.old,i never had any dental ins. ended up with gum disease,started losing my back teeth,didn't think it mattered boy was i wrong! one by one till one day my front tooth fell out at work,you can only imagine how horrified i was that's how i ended up at Affordable....the woman who runs the place has been rude since day one..i knew it would be my luck to end up with the non compationate dentist...i'm actually looking into going to another dentist on Mon. i need someone to look at this lopsided,rough,mess she calls a denture...i need to pay for an office visit but i'm hoping for some relief,if there is some way somone else can help i'll do what ever necessary..alltho i have already pd.$1,200.00 for the uppers... i'm hoping maybe this dentist can tell me why you can't see my teeth.. and what happened to my lip"?..this forum is so helpful i don't know what i would do without all of you...thank you..hugs..debbie555

Location hidden

#2001 Sep 10, 2010
Cloey - don't do anything drastic yet... mine didn't line up at first either. I could feel that when the teeth on the right side were closed, the left side wasn't quite touching. By the 4th day, my whole mouth seemed to be shaped differently. The swelling went down suddenly and the denture rubbed me raw the whole length of both sides because I kept chewing when there was movement going on. I went in today to get my stitches out and for a softliner and we discovered that the denture was too tall. Every time I bit down, it would jab into the area where my gums and cheek meet. The dentist ground it down some and it fits perfect right now (boy, those softliners feel good). I'm a little toothier now, with the new liner, but that was a good thing in my case. My teeth were lost under my lip before.

I usually just eat yogurt or oatmeal for bk, but cream of wheat works, if you don't mind having to take it out and rinse after. The little granules in it get everywhere.
Kally

Grand Rapids, MI

#2002 Sep 13, 2010
I am on day 3,so far not real happy, my bottom plate pops up and is very loose. My upper feels very thick. I'm having problems talking. I am a supervisor which means I have to be in meetings with fellow managment. I am real scared to go back to work right now.I have an appointment for adjustments today, I am hopeing for better results. I was thinking on trying the paste to see if that would hold my dentures, but I see here the powder works better. I am just having a bad day!
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#2003 Sep 13, 2010
Kally, be careful to not get any adhesive into the wells of the denture along your suture lines ... Day 3 is pretty "fresh" .... do not expect miricles .... It's good you have an appt today - I could not have gone back to work on my 10th day ... you are doing well ... You will probably be extra tired from the trauma of the extractions, the anxiety, the soreness of your mouth and jumping back into your daily routine..... try to give yourself a break ...
Cloey

Fort Worth, TX

#2004 Sep 13, 2010
I'm back and unhappy. They adjusted my upper denture and it feels so much better. My problem is that my teeth do not line up. My bottom row are real teeth and are straight and center with my face. My upper denture however is not center with either. There off a little to the left side. The dentist said to give it a couple weeks and see if it moves or aligns more. If it doesn't she'll have to order another upper denture for me. I really don't think my smile will ever be the same, this was the only thing I was scared about before I got this done and it's happening. I've already spent so much time covering, hiding, not showing, my smile that I'm sick of it. My husband says it doesn't look as bad as I think so thats a plus. I just don't know because almost all the swelling has gone down and I look like ****(not good). Has anyone else gone though this particular dellima?

Morrison, CO

#2005 Sep 13, 2010
Cloey wrote:
I'm back and unhappy. They adjusted my upper denture and it feels so much better. My problem is that my teeth do not line up. My bottom row are real teeth and are straight and center with my face. My upper denture however is not center with either. There off a little to the left side. The dentist said to give it a couple weeks and see if it moves or aligns more. If it doesn't she'll have to order another upper denture for me. I really don't think my smile will ever be the same, this was the only thing I was scared about before I got this done and it's happening. I've already spent so much time covering, hiding, not showing, my smile that I'm sick of it. My husband says it doesn't look as bad as I think so thats a plus. I just don't know because almost all the swelling has gone down and I look like ****(not good). Has anyone else gone though this particular dellima?
Cloey, my first denture didn't line up with my lower teeth and were off-centered to the left also. My dentist insisted it wasn't that obvious and I answered WELL, IT'S OBVIOUS TO ME!. The second dentist who looked at them flipped them over and looked at the ridge (which was made by my own palate when the impression was taken)and said the lab should have lined up the front teeth with that ridge, the center of my natural palate.

If you are unhappy as you said you are, have them make another set. I have no idea why your dentist thinks giving it a couple of weeks will move or align the teeth. Those teeth are anchored in acrylic and if they actually march a little bit to the right let me know because I will be shocked!

Never mind what the hubby says; he may be telling you the truth from his point of view but when I refused to leave the house without teeth my husband told me it wasn't obvious LOL. Nothing could have been a bigger lie at the moment.

Get a new set, have a wax try-in and don't agree to the final product until you LOVE your smile.

Morrison, CO

#2006 Sep 13, 2010
Kally wrote:
I am on day 3,so far not real happy, my bottom plate pops up and is very loose. My upper feels very thick. I'm having problems talking. I am a supervisor which means I have to be in meetings with fellow managment. I am real scared to go back to work right now.I have an appointment for adjustments today, I am hopeing for better results. I was thinking on trying the paste to see if that would hold my dentures, but I see here the powder works better. I am just having a bad day!
I agree with Angel, I wouldn't use any adhesive so soon. As for meetings and talking, if anyone questions you, just tell them to please bare with you as you've had some oral surgery. Beyond that, it's none of their business.
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#2007 Sep 13, 2010
Just back from the "try-in" of the final implant supported bridge. It is bisque now, needs to be baked, have the "gum" applied and polished up. It is going to be great. NO palate, no gum in the back AT ALL, and just a tiny amount over the front teeth to hide the look of the teeth against the gumline ... a week from Wednesday they will be installed. Wow. Meanwhile, they've reinstalled the temp and it is about worn out. It has been taken out and put in about 4 times now and it is getting difficult for the acrylic to cover the holes where the posts are ... he said "don't eat for a week" ... we laughed because this thing is going to be so fragile now ...

BTW I had a very interesting conversation with him about regular implants versus mini's .... which he won't put in any of his patients - he took me back through time from my first visit 2 years ago and showed me my x-rays and explained why this size and that size were picked for each of my implants ... come to find out, none of my implants are the same size or same length for various reasons .... little bone, a lot of bone, width of bone, etc.- the smallest implant that he inserted in me was still twice the size of a "mini" .... he just doesn't have much faith in them, says they don't integrate well, and he sees patients where the "mini's" break off right at the gumline because of both not intragating well, and being way to narrow. It was a good explanation and I now know more about my own implants. I asked him how long should my bridge last and he said - my lifetime ..... He just got back from Germany where he attended an implant seminar - he was a guest and is a Fellow.
He is amazingly non-egotistical ....
Anyway, I am worn out - this procedure today was 2 hours .... yawn..... zzzzz .... nap.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Denture Adhesives and Useful Tips for New Wearers (Feb '12) 8 hr Steve Works 730
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) 9 hr giovannijohn 1,249
Determining Your Family Dental Care Needs Fri Wally West 3
extractions and dentures (Jan '11) Fri Amber Johnson 33
36 years old female, just got dentures, is it w... (Jan '12) Fri Kaitlyn_Aus 109
free teeth makeover (Jul '08) Thu rosemary flowers 323
Learning to eat with dentures (Jun '09) Thu Tud 1,300
More from around the web