Cheer up New Denture Wearers
crystal

United States

#1637 May 7, 2010
MerryMac wrote:
Hi Crystal, after resting your mouth, are they too tight or too loose?
I get needing to take them out; your mouth does need to rest.
They feel too tight so I wanna leave them out for a while. Another question is approximately How long do the gums take to heal I really hate that mushy feeling

Thank:)
Angel

Santee, CA

#1638 May 8, 2010
Crystal .... in all fairness - the answer to that question is 6 months. They will heal, and do the majority of shrinking in that time. Not to say that within about 8 weeks your gums will be feeling pretty darn good. But still may be a little tender when food gets under it and pokes you. As time goes, that will be less irritating and when you get food under it, you will just feel it there and know you need to go rinse.

Since: Jun 09

Mead, CO

#1639 May 8, 2010
crystal wrote:
<quoted text>
They feel too tight so I wanna leave them out for a while. Another question is approximately How long do the gums take to heal I really hate that mushy feeling
Thank:)
I think during the time you have them out the gum tissue relaxes as it is not confined to the channel of the denture. Try running the denture under warm water before putting them back in.

Since: Oct 09

Plano, TX

#1641 May 9, 2010
VIDEO
In this TV show, a denture wearer talks about "never wearing her uncomfortable dentures".

Plano, TX

#1642 May 9, 2010
Angel,
Thanks so much for the details about your "all on 4".(I have a 70 page WORD document where I copy and paste important data which I have been following via these threads for about a year now.)

One thing which I am curious about is the "pink". Is it just a little pink on the front teeth in order to make the teeth look normal (and structurally sound)?
Ha! I am apprehensive about fake gums.
My upper snap-in has even less fake gum towards the front teeth (inside) than in this photo, but the gumline still bugs the heck out of me.
Photo -
http://www.albertadentalimplants.com/images/P...

Plano, TX

#1643 May 9, 2010
VIDEO - WORTH WATCHING
Ths video covers many of the alternatives regarding dentures.

[[http://www.youtube.com/watch ?v=H7MEmQ8-3es]]

Plano, TX

#1644 May 9, 2010
Angel,
The implant supported Bridge in the above video (4 minute mark) seems close to what you are getting, but with the "all on 4" procedure. Am I thinking right?

Here is another short video which shows "All on 4".
Is this close to what you are getting?
#t=40s
[[http://www.youtube.com/watch ?v=Oi2dILV-Rk8#t=40s]]
crystal

United States

#1645 May 9, 2010
Well I endured my first cook out today wad able to eat some potato salad and a cheeseburger with only top bun! Of course I had to but it up in tiny pieces but I DID IT! just really hate that food gets up between hard palate and denture yuck! Also is it normal(this is pretty gross sorry but I need to know!) To have slimy saliva? I think I still have some slight bleeding so I think that's what's causing it is this normal? Also say I wanna sleep without denture do I need to keep it in water
Angel

Santee, CA

#1646 May 9, 2010
No you do not need to keep plastic in water. Plastic is plastic and dentures will last for years and be around long after we're not ... lol Just brush them good - soak in cleaner if you think they get stained ... but not for long ... it is damaging .. Yes, slimy saliva is normal for awhile ... it goes away .... CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FOOD CELEBRATION!!!! Soon you will be eating pretty much your old diet ... I took my denture out every night ... it felt so good. Make some meatloaf ... mashed potatos and gravy .... and try some greenbeans ... have yourself a real meal!!! Hooray for you!
Angel

Santee, CA

#1647 May 10, 2010
Update - fixed permanent bridge - implant supported

MM - Thommy, other's who are interested:
Got the crack fixed on the temporary acrylic - took about 2 hours to repair and using the carbon paper, bite, bite, grind, bite, bite .... it looks and feels even BETTER if you can believe that! The dentist is pleased with the progress we are making with the plate. He told me he expects me to continue to need and want adjustments during these next 2 weeks. He said the goal is to have this one be absolulely perfecto when he sends it off to the lab to create the final.
Here's 3 things that have improved DRAMATICALLY with the bridge instead of the snap-in denture.
1. Sinus - immediately with the pressure taken off of them from up under my nose, it can finally drain, I'm not "stuffy' and I have increased ability to smell.
2. The irritation that made my gums red and tingly (contact dermatitis) is GONE.
3. I can chew absolutely normal.(There is a distinct noticibility that the upper is acrylic and not porcelain - I can hear the hollow plasticky sound again and they are not as sharp for grinding either) So a little decreased grinding (shrimp fiber, pickles, etc) but since I have porcelain for the bottom bridges it is more than tolerable. I could probably even get used to this if I had to .... but I don't!
I have not one complaint except that the finished product is still about 6 weeks away. When the porcelain one is made from this model I will do a try in for it's appearance and then go back again to be polished and finished.
I am not complaining - this one is wonderful. You will never regret your decision to implant - ever. I am so happy to know that I never ever have to wear another denture ever. And I will never have to endure tooth decay, root canals, gum disease or extractions with partials.
I love this, and I LOVE MY DENTIST OFFICE - they are awesome.
Nancy

Kent, WA

#1649 May 10, 2010
Wow Angel - I wish I could afford implants - even one but alas, such is not the case for me. Maybe someday...

Do I still have to worry about gum disease and root canals - even after all my upper teeth are gone? I'm thinking probably not.

Now every single time I see anyone I try to guess if they are sporting a denture. Funny...never really noticed before but I can totally tell some people have dentures.

Aren't the materials they use today for dentures slightly better and less bulky than what they were using say 25 years ago...or is that just my wishful thinking?

I remember my grandparents had dentures - I remember seeing my grandmother's dentures in a glass of water in her bathroom. Yikes. I was freaked out.

I'm not sure I love my dentist office or the prosthodontist...I've always hated all dentists regardless of their specialty.

I'm scared, I'm scared, I'm scared...
Nancy

Kent, WA

#1650 May 10, 2010
Its odd - my prosthodontist told me my upper denture would fit just like a glove and I would barely know it was there. I've been pouring over the comments on these pages and now I wonder...is he tell me a great big fib? Yikes, I was doing okay about it all until I started reading more posts...maybe I would do well to stay away until after the deed is done?
Angel

Santee, CA

#1651 May 10, 2010
It's okay Nancy ... that's the chant that used to go through my mind too ... every minute for every day until the deed was done. I even bargained with God to reverse the ruling ... lol Nothing worked, time passed and the journey began ...
I never thought in a million years that I would be so lucky as to have implants ... they were an impossiblility for me too. But I found ways to make extra money even from home.
My mom had dentures too - her dentures looked to be made out of the same stuff as mine, but she never complained - she loved her teeth. Never took them out except to clean them. I'm pretty sure that's the story with the majority of wearers and I'm hoping that's how it happens for you too.
I've been lucky I guess - I've never had a dentist hurt me .... I was never scared of them, but some procedures were a bitch. I hated the way they used to do root canals ... but even that has changed. A few years ago I had 5 done at one time and it wasn't any worse than getting 5 fillings.
Yeah, you're right ... no more root canals for you either ...
I remember once seeing someone that didn't have teeth in their mouth at all - at that freaked me. I think that is why I wore that stupid denture no matter what - it had to do with me.

Mead, CO

#1652 May 10, 2010
Nancy wrote:
Its odd - my prosthodontist told me my upper denture would fit just like a glove and I would barely know it was there. I've been pouring over the comments on these pages and now I wonder...is he tell me a great big fib? Yikes, I was doing okay about it all until I started reading more posts...maybe I would do well to stay away until after the deed is done?
Nancy, most of us here on this forum have had problems with getting dentures. Those that have not aren't here. My youngest sister has had dentures for over 30 years and she loves them. My second youngest sister has had an upper denture for about 25 years and she's never had a complaint. My third sister just got her dentures about a year ago and while I don't think she loves them, she hasn't had any problems adjusting.

With the exception of how food tastes, my father has not complained about his dentures and he's had them for a very long time. My mother, God rest her soul, had an upper denture for years and she didn't have any complaints either.

There are some folks on this forum who are doing well with their denture. You may also be one of them. Don't borrow trouble until it finds you. At least, after reading all these posts, you know what can go wrong and can be prepared to deal with it immediately if it happens to you.

Like Angel, I never thought I could afford implants either. Being very optimistic, I started saving money. It didn't take me long to get a few thousand bucks stashed away. Then I was blessed when a friend offered to help me.

Do the best you can with what you have and squirrel away money every chance you get. If you love your denture you can use it to take a great vacation.

Mead, CO

#1653 May 11, 2010
PERIODONTAL DISEASE - GUM DISEASE AND BONE LOSS

I didn't write this and am not taking credit for its content. I received this email from Matt Strong who answers questions for a local dentist. I thought it was worth passing along.

If you have periodontal disease, you should treat it.

I am not sure if "cure" is the right word.

Let me explain.

Bacteria lodge in a film on the teeth above and below the gum line.

Think of that yucky sponge you have in your kitchen
sink. It gets kinda slimey and maybe you occasionally boil it to get it to smell nice?

That slime is a bacterial film. Scientists study bacterial films because they are a key way that bacteria gang up on you.

These bacteria digest matter in your mouth and
they expel waste products.(Sorry, this is not a fun topic.)

The waste products contain acids and also proteins
that are very harmful to your teeth. The acid eats
away at the bone around the tooth. And the proteins
get through the gums into the bloodstream and
carry bacteria with them.

Your body sees these awful bacteria and mounts an
immune response to them. It sends white blood cells
to swallow them up, and tries to get other antibodies to tie up the bacteria.

This process often results in the bacteria lodging into a solid kind of mass in your arteries. Nobody quite understands why, but the bacteria often lodge in deposits of cholesterol and plaque in the arteries around the heart.

They can infect the heart valves and are thought to
be partly to blame for heart attacks.

So periodontal disease is very serious, a full body
health problem rather than just a tooth problem.

The treatments vary but they all aim to do the same
thing. They aim to sterilize the area below the gums and do break up those films of bacteria.

There are three methods that are mainly used.

One is mechanical scraping. Scrape off the hard
buildup with a simple instrument.

Second is lasers. These are just getting into more
use. Most dentists use lasers but not the type of laser for gum use.

Third is ultrasonic. This is a favorite of mine because the ultrasonic blasts apart the bacterial films.

There is a follow up to this, which is often some type of antibiotic applied in the pockets, or sometimes taken orally.

Some doctors use a mild antiseptic. You can actually get yourself a Waterpik and fill it with a combination of warm water, salt and a bit of drugstore hydrogen peroxide. Brush your teeth and use the Waterpik and this can be a great help.

But bottom line, your health is not going to be the best until you treat this.

And this will help save your teeth as well.

It is not a cure because the effects of periodontal
disease can only be treated. But treating them is
essential.

My recommendation is to get the docs to look at you
and have them do "debridement", and then follow up
with home care like the Waterpik.

Does this hurt? No, but it isn't terribly comfortable. But not painful. I had it done recently without getting numb and I am a crybaby. It just didn't hurt. The hygienist put a topical anesthetic on my gums and that was plenty.

But other people will want to get numb. I don't have advanced periodontal disease but if I did I would have the doc get me numb.
Angel

Santee, CA

#1654 May 11, 2010
Update: My bridge split down the center last night while I was sleeping (teeth clencher ... front to back. Long story short, I have my snap in back in for a week or so until the temporary is repaired ... I was so disappointed until one of my dentists said, remember, we told you this was a temporary ... something to wear to make sure your real one will fit perfect because we can't afford to make a mistake with that one. If there is a problem we want it to appear now with this one. Then I "got it" .... I had to laugh though because one of the dentists said that I was their favorite patient and their most frustrating patient .... he said ' you destroy everything we put in your mouth '.... I have real teeth, composite teeth and implants on the bottom and my jaws are so strong that anything plastic gets broken. I was very sad to have to have this "thing" put back in, but then I was immediatly greatful that I had it to put back ... got that? lol And I will be doubly greatful when I get it back because now I know the difference.
crystal

United States

#1655 May 11, 2010
Hello all! Well its officially been a week with my new full upper and still trying to adjust now that my swelling has gone down my denture feels super UN comfortable its just annoying ugh....get down every now and then n think I'd take my broken teeth over the dentures. I have never wanted a good piece of steak as much as I do now! Even a sandwich mmmm... sorry anyhow I have managed to eat a few things but I'm just hungry but don't eat cause I can only chew with one side and HATE the food getting in between denture and roof of mouth tried polygrip but I don't know don't like that it sticks to roof and its hard to take off... on the bright side I have a pretty smile...
Nancy

Kent, WA

#1656 May 11, 2010
MerryMac wrote:
<quoted text>
Nancy, most of us here on this forum have had problems with getting dentures. Those that have not aren't here. My youngest sister has had dentures for over 30 years and she loves them. My second youngest sister has had an upper denture for about 25 years and she's never had a complaint. My third sister just got her dentures about a year ago and while I don't think she loves them, she hasn't had any problems adjusting.
With the exception of how food tastes, my father has not complained about his dentures and he's had them for a very long time. My mother, God rest her soul, had an upper denture for years and she didn't have any complaints either.
There are some folks on this forum who are doing well with their denture. You may also be one of them. Don't borrow trouble until it finds you. At least, after reading all these posts, you know what can go wrong and can be prepared to deal with it immediately if it happens to you.
Like Angel, I never thought I could afford implants either. Being very optimistic, I started saving money. It didn't take me long to get a few thousand bucks stashed away. Then I was blessed when a friend offered to help me.
Do the best you can with what you have and squirrel away money every chance you get. If you love your denture you can use it to take a great vacation.
Oh my goodness - thank you so much for your kind words of support! I pray I don't have problems but ya never know.
I have my "consult" with the oral surgeon on May 20th. Thursday I will have my "first impressions". The ball is rolling...
Nancy

Kent, WA

#1657 May 11, 2010
I'm curious...are all dentures basically made of the same material? Are some better than others?

Mead, CO

#1658 May 11, 2010
Hi Nancy, basically yes. I know Thommy has a snap in that does not have BPAs or Pthalates. He may be able to give you the name of the lab that made them. Most labs do not make dentures without these two chemicals.

Most dentures are pretty standard but you can get a thinner and better made denture. You should get a temporary first. When you have healed and the swelling has long gone down, you can get a permanent. The permanent can look just like the temp if you like it or you can have it look differently. You can do a wax try in to be sure you like the size, shape and color of the teeth.

Hope this helps.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bad taste & smell of reline (Jun '11) 11 hr Jenny jj 44
Hybridge Dental Implants (Jul '12) 19 hr Sad and Distraught 173
free teeth makeover (Jul '08) Wed Cfunes 470
Mouth Sores (Feb '12) Mar 21 CharliesAngel81 50
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) Mar 20 so-confused 1,965
Considering Full Dentures??? (Jan '13) Mar 19 Steve 56
Denture Adhesives and Useful Tips for New Wearers (Feb '12) Mar 18 Judyp1414 987
More from around the web