Cheer up New Denture Wearers
Angel

Santee, CA

#1014 Dec 1, 2009
Thommy, I agree and disagree with many of your statements. I have never had a dentist tell me that dentures would be great. In fact, the dentist office I go to now told me that with a denture I would only have about 5% of my origial ability to chew. And quoted me the higher percentages on having implants, versus the overdenture. As a matter of fact, he told me that he hoped he never would have to wear a denture because he didn't think he would be able to. He also told me that the making of dentures is not hugely covered in dental schools anymore because implants are the new future. He said that VERY FEW dentists are able to create dentures and that is why there are labs with technicians in them to do that specialty work. I guess I got really lucky when I found this dentist. I went into this knowing exactly what I was buying and knowing what I wanted to purchase versus what I would be able to purchase. Since a full mouth of implants was impossible at the time, I opted for the one step above an immediate and chose the implant retained knowing that someday I could add more implants and have crown/bridges put in. What I wasn't prepared for - and I do have to say very frankly, that I don't think any dentist can prepare you for what it will be like to wear a denture. They don't wear one. They don't know. Neither did we until we had one put in our mouth for the first time. Same with them. What I do think is valuable is THIS FORUM. Here is the only place that I have found where real people with real dentures and real problems tell it like it is. I don't think all of the printed material in the world has been as helpful and comforting to me as all of you have been.
I agree on students wanting to just get through school and I know that grades and assignments are what is really important. But I don't think that too many stay there if they didn't want to do dental work when they graduated. And that is not limited to med / dental students. Graduating is the goal - to do that you have to do assignments and worry about grades - all fields. Caring about the individual comes later, when you have time to practice what you have book-learned. Although I am not disagreeing with you, I am going to say that in my 60+ years, there have been few doctors or dentists that have not been more than fair with me - and I feel like most have given/treated me with everything they have had available to them. After all, you said it best, they are just book-learned people like us. They don't know much about my chosen occuaption and come to me for my best advice and I go to them expecting the same.
Robin

Philadelphia, PA

#1015 Dec 2, 2009
Hi Angel!

You wrote: "Any acrylic affords almost no chewing power." That's not my experience. I have acrylic, and I can chew everything. Nuts. Bread. Steak. You name it, I can chew it. Just wanted to post that in case others were worried. I wonder if it has to do with finessing the bite?
LindaM

Aurora, OH

#1016 Dec 2, 2009
Robin, I'm so glad to hear that you are having a good experience with acrylic.
That is what my Dentist is recommending for me. He said the porcelin would increase the wear on my bones.

I'm not exactly sure why the dentist didn't include molars in my immediates other than I had no molars left on the bottom. I had about 7 molars on top that he pulled. Since I have 5 remaining teeth of my own on the bottom that he left there for the partials he wanted to wait for my perm uppers to give me the molars on the bottom. Not sure if that all makes sense but it seemed fine when he explained it. And as he said these were designed to be cosmetic and not functional. So I'm stuck with soft foods until Spring.
I'm doing fine with it. I cut everything into very small pieces and usually eat without my upppers. The bonus is losing weight. 10lbs so far. I will hopefully reach my goal of losing another 15 by spring. I'm expecting a complete makeover by Mother's day!
Angel

Santee, CA

#1017 Dec 2, 2009
Linda M.- that sounds reasonable. If you have no teeth on the bottom there wouldn't be any since having them on the top. The teeth are porcelain, not the denture, so I don't understand his advice to you at all about wearing on your bones. Please read the advice on purchasing a WaterPik or something similar to save those bottom teeth that you are going to be wearing a denture with. It's important now that those teeth never have to be removed or you will have to start all over - ugh.

Robin - The 5% is about - as I understand it - power per square inch. Yes you can chew, but the strengh of the bite is reduced. That's with dentures .... not an overdenture which gains power from the implants. I too can eat anything - even beef jerky. But with my immediate I would have been chewing that for 10 minutes before it would have been ground up well enough to swallow for digestion. I guess I didn't make that clear.

So happy to hear how well you guys are doing.
LindaM

Aurora, OH

#1018 Dec 2, 2009
This is what I found that probably explains it better.

Porcelain vs Acrylic
Bone loss: If a person has lost a great deal of supporting alveolar bone and their gum tissue is not of a sturdy type, then plastic denture teeth might be a better choice. These teeth are more forgiving of excessive forces developing from habits such as clenching, grinding and tapping or "clacking" of teeth -- which seems to be more prevalent among older individuals. Plastic teeth do not transmit forces to underlying bone as intensely as porcelain teeth.

This is the website. http://www.denturehelp.com/Pages/3.html#SoftD...
Angel

Carlsbad, CA

#1019 Dec 2, 2009
Very interesting, which sort of also supports the amount of bite pressure lost from wearing a acrylic denture versus an overdenture supported by implanted posts. Great find LindaM.

The "clacking" of the acrylics drove me INSANE. I could not stand that hollowness when I would bite down, and it's true, since I have begun to wear dentures I have begun to clench my teeth. So, it's an "old" thing - just something else to add to the list ;^|
Angel

Carlsbad, CA

#1020 Dec 2, 2009
MM - you need to go to the website that LindaM posted. It is a goldmine of info - everyone should go there. Great stuff. Thanks LindaM
LindaM

Aurora, OH

#1021 Dec 2, 2009
Thanks Angel. I love that website. I found it when my Dentist insisted I have acrylic over porcelain. I think I do agree with him that it's better for me personally.
I clench too, but I find I do it when my upper isn't sitting right.
My immediates don't clack.
Chellie

United States

#1022 Dec 2, 2009
That is a great site. Thanks for posting it.

Has anyone had the experience of, uh, swallowing up instead of down? That's the only way I can think of to describe it. When I swallow food or water with my upper in place, food/liquids go up before they go down. It almost feels like it's going slightly up my nose. This didn't happen with my natural teeth.

It obviously has something to do with how my tongue is working now and how it fits in my mouth with my upper denture. Has anyone had or heard of this and do you know a rememdy?

Thanks. Tihs is just weird and disconcerting.

Since: Jun 09

United States

#1023 Dec 2, 2009
Chellie, I know exactly what you are describing because it happened to me too. I couldn't take pills with my denture in at first. When it wasn't a pill but just drinking, I had to take small sips instead of big drinks.

I don't know what happened to make it stop but it did after a couple of months. Maybe my tongue got the hang of things or it got better when I had a wee bit shaved off the back of the palate, I don't really know but it's okay now.

I have a theory lol about why it happened. I think my brain, being unaccustomed to the denture, thought I was going to swallow it so it did this little recoil thing when I swallowed. Not very scientific but it made sense at the time because the minute I took the denture out of my mouth and took my huge vitamins, there was no problem.

Linda...good website; thanks for sharing it with us. According to that information, I should not be getting porcelain because I have natural teeth on the bottom front. However, I have an overbite so there is only one tooth which will have contact. Since that one tooth already has a root canal w/ a porcelain crown, maybe it will be fine.

United States

#1024 Dec 2, 2009
BTW...I love my waterpik. I can't use it on the top yet as I still have stitches (and no teeth lol) but it's great on my bottom teeth. It's got the greatest features. One is a little dealy that gets under the edges of your gums and the other cleans your tongue. I agree with Angel, they should be issued at birth.
LindaM

Aurora, OH

#1025 Dec 2, 2009
I'm glad the website has been helpful.

I had the exact problem when swallowing. It stopped when I had my palate cut back also. I've noticed that I still have to take small sips. It honestly feels like it wants to go under the palate in the back. It's an odd feeling.

MM, I have 5 of my own teeth on the bottom so I'm comfortable with the decision.
Angel

Santee, CA

#1026 Dec 2, 2009
I have 9 of my own on the bottom. Porcelain implants as crown/bridges for molars. The upper is all porcelain teeth on the over-denture. I've worn 3 different types of dentures on the top - I can tell you for real, and not from something you've read or been told by your dentist, the porcelain is harder, much more "sharp", sounds better, and "feel" like your own teeth. I cannot, when I run my tongue across them, tell where the real teeth and the implants meet. They do cost more. But when you look at them you can see the difference. They are not opaque, but more glass-like. It is strictly a personal preference, although I know that dentists' prefer to work with the acrylic because they can be adjusted much more easily. You all know the drawback is that they are so much like real teeth that they are easier to break or chip. Just make sure you get what you want.
I never had a problem swallowing but I used to have big time gagging problems. I don't miss that plastic covering my palate at all - and I can't wait until I can afford all of the rest of the work so that I never have to wear this denture at all - ever.
Pam

United States

#1027 Dec 3, 2009
Just sitting here toothless, except for the six lowers I have left. They look more like spikes. They sent my teeth off to put the hard liner in and remove the metal in the bottom partials. I hope and pray they are true to their word and I will get them back at 4:00 pm today. My husband has out patient surgery on the veins in his leg tomorrow and I would hate sitting in the waiting room all day looking like a halloween hag, ha ha.
Have felt really tired and drug out here lately and my dentures haven't been all that comfortable. I am hoping that the changes will make a difference.
My gagging problems were helped a lot when she took away a little arch in the palate

United States

#1028 Dec 3, 2009
Hi Pam, I'm sitting here toothless also. I can't take much more of this burning and tonight I have to miss my granddaughter's Christmas program at her school. It just reminded me of how many things I have missed since last June and it's depressing.

I hope you get your teeth back as they promised and that you love them.
Pam

United States

#1029 Dec 3, 2009
MM, I am so sorry you are going through all this. Isn't there ANYTHING they can do about the burning. I will be so happy for you when you can get back in the swing of things and live a normal life.
I did get my teeth, but an hour and a half late because they got held up on the freeway, ha ha, that's a new one.
I don't hate them but I don't love them either. I liked my bouncy soft liner it was very comfortable. But this hard liner is so HARD. It is a bit uncomfortable right now and I can't go back until Monday. My husband has surgery tomorrow and they are closed on the weekend.
I hope someone is taking pictures of your granddaughter's program for you. It won't be the same but better than nothing. A video would be even better. Good luck to you, I hope you get better soon.
Pam

United States

#1030 Dec 3, 2009
Angel wrote:
Pam, where in Southern CaL?
And Chellie, north-east where?
I am from Santee, CA. It got me right.
Robin - right on with the way that they make the immediates - it's all a guessing game for them with getting the right size teeth.
My upper implant retained over-denture was only about 12K. I had other work done on the bottom. That's about the price of a couple of root canals. Well worth the $$.
Angel, I live in Whittier, a suburb of Los Angeles.

Since: Oct 09

Plano, TX

#1031 Dec 3, 2009
LindaM wrote:
I'm glad the website has been helpful.
I had the exact problem when swallowing. It stopped when I had my palate cut back also. I've noticed that I still have to take small sips. It honestly feels like it wants to go under the palate in the back. It's an odd feeling.
MM, I have 5 of my own teeth on the bottom so I'm comfortable with the decision.
It is a good website. Thanks!

SWALLOWING
I also have had this phenomenon of swallowing 'up'. Rarely do I now experience it. I called it a tendency to "gulp", because it was a weird way to swallow. Shaving the back part of my implant dentures helped. My prosthodontist told me that the tongue gets larger after extractions...(I think he is right)...then later the tongue lessens in size after denture use. This might account for some of the gulping compulsions,(instead of normal swallowing). A larger tongue also makes it difficult to talk.
Pam

United States

#1032 Dec 3, 2009
http://burningmouthsyndrome.boomja.com/index....

MM, I can't get this web site come up to where you can just click on it but it has many articles on BMS.

United States

#1033 Dec 3, 2009
Pam, thanks for the link. It worked just fine. I believe Hewitt's explanation of BMS being an allergy.
I hadn't thought about it being an allergy to the pigment because one of the soft liners I tried was white but there would be pigment in that too.

I have other allergies too and just like with the denture, when the offending material is removed, the allergic reaction stops.

I'm very concerned about having an allergic reaction to the hybrid I have to wear after the next surgery until the osteo-integration takes place. The hybrid cannot be removed by me so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
37 had teeth pulled couldnt get immediate dentu... 6 hr rize 1
New dentures won't go back in! (Feb '10) 13 hr Tennessee girl 85
How do I make my dentist fix my dentures? (Oct '08) Tue Amberstarrfaw 169
bad taste & smell of reline (Jun '11) Tue Julie 34
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) Sep 26 Corij 1,899
36 years old female, just got dentures, is it w... (Jan '12) Sep 26 rize 146
free teeth makeover (Jul '08) Sep 26 Jennifer 452
More from around the web