Pam

United States

#772 Oct 20, 2009
Linda, if I remember right, we got our dentures on the same day. So far I have had two soft liners and go back Thursday to get another. Since I have six of my own teeth on the bottom, they don't slip around although one side is starting to feel a bit loose. She told me it would be at least three months before I get the hard liner. I really had a lot of trouble with the uppers until I started using the powder, now it is much better.
Make your diagram and make sure your dentist listens to you. No need for you to be hurting.
Good luck

Since: Oct 09

Plano, TX

#773 Oct 20, 2009
ADHESIVE – Dry Gelatin
I haven’t seen this mentioned. Something which grips pretty good is dry gelatin from gelatin capsules. I would sprinkle on the powder from one capsule. It makes things stick pretty well. Some people take gelatin supplements for healthier nails. Gelatin supplements can be found in vitamin sections, or maybe the nails section.

At one time, I used Seabond for my first set of dentures. I did not want to use the other brands (e.g Fixodent or Polygrip) because of the Class Action Suit for Zinc Poisoning in those brands. As an Environmental Scientist, I know how metals (or too much of a metal) can effect a body’s nervous system and organs. I am not concerned about a few incidents of exposure, but long term, everyday, 12 hour exposures concerned me.
MerryMac

Windsor, CO

#774 Oct 20, 2009
I'm back!!! LOL...sorry I've been away and haven't been posting. I see I've missed all of Thommy's posts which are right on and accurate to the nines.

As some of you know, I had been patiently waiting until last Friday to get the new upper denture. I had been to the lab three times to inspect the wax model and while I wasn't thrilled with it, it would suffice for the relatively brief time I intended to wear it (between now and implant surgery).

On Monday, I went to my dentist to get the end result. A new upper made of paladon (since I am allergic to the arcylic). I was excited and thought I was beginning to see a happy end to some of this endless frustration.

Well, the teeth in this denture looked very little like the wax teeth I had tried on and inspected carefully three times!!!!! I could have cried and to be honest, I'm not sure why I didn't. They looked like horse teeth and even if I'd liked them they were too big and couldn't be lined because the same monomer (uncured) is used in the liners.

I drove home numb, couldn't believe this had happened when they had tons of pictures from which to work and I'd personally okayed the final.

I took out my frustrations cleaning and ignored the new teeth which promptly went into the jar.
I guess I ran out of things to clean because on Monday (yesterday) I crashed and ended up sobbing and in a fetal position.

After amazing consolation from my husband, I called Dr. T. and said I needed to make an appointment. When his receptionist asked what for, I lost it and spent the next 15 minutes sobbing on the phone to her. Dr. T. either had an opening or she felt so bad for me she fit me in.

I saw him today. He agreed the teeth were hideous and far too big for my mouth and he was a great comfort to me. I was there for four hours.

I had several x-rays, several impressions taken - not one of which was unpleasant - and left there with an appointment for my surgery on November 16th. I also have my pre-surgery Rx for Valium and amoxicillin. I have an appointment tomorrow for a 3D Cone Beam Scan which will be delivered to him in two days. I went back later today with more pictures of what my original teeth looked like and I left my old denture with him because it is a good fit for my mouth and I can't wear it anyway.

Folks...I am toothless (on top) until I am finished with the surgery but right now, I don't even care. The lady in Walgreens photo department was great and helped me print the pictures of my teeth...the "ones I used to have" I told her. Having a denture herself, we talked about all the problems while the prints were made.

Thommy is so right about the acrylic secreting chemicals even after the denture has been cured.
Granted, it doesn't effect everyone the way it effected me...felt like a mouth filled with hot sauce and a numb tongue...which of course, my regular dentist never heard of before and kept telling me I'd get used to it.

It's no cake walk that's for sure and I know it has messed up other parts of my body and mind. I have never been this depressed in my life and my entire GI tract doesn't seem to know what the heck to do with the food I can eat.

I'm convinced the allergic reaction to the chemicals in the acrylic set off an auto-immune reaction in my body causing the vitiligo. I realize correlation isn't always causation but it seems odd that it all happened within a month's time.

I will have to live with acrylic teeth (made with no monomer) on my implants for 4-6 months (the time I figure it will take me to pay Dr. T. the balance) and then they are replaced with porcelain teeth. As soon as I have saved up a decent deposit on the lower five implants, I'll get those started, hopefully early next summer.

I'm sorry I haven't been around to offer any support to anyone but I couldn't even support myself emotionally. I promise to stop in more often and keep you posted on my progress.

Hugs to you all...

Plano, TX

#775 Oct 21, 2009
MerryMac wrote:
I'm back!!! LOL...sorry I've been away and haven't been posting. I see I've missed all of Thommy's posts which are right on and accurate to the nines.
As some of you know, I had been patiently waiting until last Friday to get the new upper denture. I had been to the lab three times to inspect the wax model and while I wasn't thrilled with it, it would suffice for the relatively brief time I intended to wear it (between now and implant surgery).
On Monday, I went to my dentist to get the end result. A new upper made of paladon (since I am allergic to the arcylic). I was excited and thought I was beginning to see a happy end to some of this endless frustration.
Well, the teeth in this denture looked very little like the wax teeth I had tried on and inspected carefully three times!!!!! I could have cried and to be honest, I'm not sure why I didn't. They looked like horse teeth and even if I'd liked them they were too big and couldn't be lined because the same monomer (uncured) is used in the liners.
I drove home numb, couldn't believe this had happened when they had tons of pictures from which to work and I'd personally okayed the final.
I took out my frustrations cleaning and ignored the new teeth which promptly went into the jar.
I guess I ran out of things to clean because on Monday (yesterday) I crashed and ended up sobbing and in a fetal position.
After amazing consolation from my husband, I called Dr. T. and said I needed to make an appointment. When his receptionist asked what for, I lost it and spent the next 15 minutes sobbing on the phone to her. Dr. T. either had an opening or she felt so bad for me she fit me in.
I saw him today. He agreed the teeth were hideous and far too big for my mouth and he was a great comfort to me. I was there for four hours.
I had several x-rays, several impressions taken - not one of which was unpleasant - and left there with an appointment for my surgery on November 16th. I also have my pre-surgery Rx for Valium and amoxicillin. I have an appointment tomorrow for a 3D Cone Beam Scan which....
...Thommy is so right about the acrylic secreting chemicals even after the denture has been cured.
Granted, it doesn't effect everyone the way it effected me...felt like a mouth filled with hot sauce and a numb tongue...which of course, my regular dentist never heard of before and kept telling me I'd get used to it.
It's no cake walk that's for sure and I know it has messed up other parts of my body and mind. I have never been this depressed in my life and my entire GI tract doesn't seem to know what the heck to do with the food I can eat.
I'm convinced the allergic reaction to the chemicals in the acrylic set off an auto-immune reaction in my body causing the vitiligo. I realize correlation isn't always causation but it seems odd that it all happened within a month's time.
I will have to live with acrylic teeth (made with no monomer) on my implants for 4-6 months (the time I figure it will take me to pay Dr. T. the balance) and then they are replaced with porcelain teeth....
Merry! This is profound information! I did not realize all the tech and data about hypoallergenic denture materials until you mentioned it. Your post prompted me to read over some of the scientific studies regarding these materials like Paladon65 and also the chemicals (MMA)(methyl methacrylate) that do leach from routine acrylics as they continuously cure. Evidently, Paladon also has a high strength.
Merry, I have read some of your previous posts, but there is so much written information on all these threads that it is easy to miss things. If you or anyone else ever spots important posts or successful actions, please post a link. I want to personally log some of the many successful actions written by people.
MerryMac

Windsor, CO

#776 Oct 21, 2009
Paladon has a high strength of what??? I can't tell if it has the same effect on my mouth because I haven't had it long enough and the darn thing won't stay in my mouth anyway.
Pam

United States

#777 Oct 21, 2009
Wow, we live in a chemical world. I even get upset with all the Chem Trails [not Con Trails] that are constantly over our house. I know there has to be something nasty in them. Plastic is full of chemicals and so are the resins and acrylics. Toxins, allergins, etc. I hope our bodies adjust to what ever materials we have in our mouth without causing lasting effects.
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#778 Oct 21, 2009
My mom lived to be 85 with dentures from the time she was 19.

But, I agree - plastic scares the hell out of me. Especially with all of these pregnant women who drink water out of those plastic bottles. "They" blame vacines for the rash of autisim - I think it's plastics.

Plano, TX

#779 Oct 22, 2009
MerryMac wrote:
Paladon has a high strength of what??? I can't tell if it has the same effect on my mouth because I haven't had it long enough and the darn thing won't stay in my mouth anyway.
Merry, I had quickly reviewed a study which tested alternative denture acrylics for their quality of strength (i.e. brittleness or ductile ability). Paladon seemed to compare in strength abilities to regular acrylic dentures. In other words, it probably will hold up without breaking just like a routine denture.

Plano, TX

#780 Oct 22, 2009
Pam-- You are correct. As an Environmental Scientist, I once ran an air quality test for aluminum after a Chemtrail spraying. It was definitely there, but not in the air when no Chemtrails were present.

Angel-- You are right. The "body burden" of chemicals can get intense. Most vaccines contain toxic mercury, adjuvants, other wild-card viruses, aluminum, detergents, formaldehyde, etc.

Bisphenol A and phthalates are "plasticizers" and can often disrupt hormones and/or cause other body damage.

DETOX - One of the things which I do is to eat a lot of green leafy vegetables. Cilantro is helpful in washing out some metals. Seaweed or kelp can also help. Prior to going to the dentist, I often take a couple tabs of "activated charcoal" to catch some of the chemicals which get ingested. There are other things which a person can do to relieve the "body burden".

Direct exposure through the skin or inhalation is more dynamic than ingestion.

ALCOHOL- I should mention rubbing alcohol, because it is not common knowledge. The body has a hard time processing alcohol and the liver washes it out of the system. Rubbing alcohol is not meant for the body at all. It can make a person sick, and that is why this type of alcohol can be sold in stores (winos won't drink it). Alcohol can easily permeate the skin and be absorbed by the body. Often an alcohol is needed to clean off the non-water soluble chemicals on the denture. I grab some Vodka or Gin to clean these non-water soluble chemicals off.

Plano, TX

#781 Oct 22, 2009
EWG - Environmental Working Group ~ "Body Burden"
This is cool to see. After going to this webpage, click "Next Page" and then click on a person. You might recognize some of these people.
http://archive.ewg.org/reports/bodyburden1/es...
Pam

United States

#782 Oct 22, 2009
I got a new soft liner today. The first two were more like an epoxy that she mixed in a cup and it was clear. This time she used a pink substance out of a caulking gun and it seems much better. I can bite and chew just fine without the powder adhesive. She said I am healing so well I may get my hard liner early. That would be nice because every time they put this soft liner stuff in and I have to bite down, it turns on the old gag switch. At least this time it set much quicker, just a couple of minutes, as compared to the first two that I had to leave in for 10 minutes.

Hope you all are doing well.
Robin

Philadelphia, PA

#783 Oct 22, 2009
Joke's on me!

Turns out I am not getting an "implant-supported denture." Nope nope nope. It's an "implant-stabilized denture." What's the diff, all you smart folks (aka Angel) out there are asking? Well, me too!

The diff is that it will never be palateless. In order for it to be palateless, I need at least two more implants.(All of those decisions are driven by the unique individual, according to my dentist. Some people can get the palateless one with only four implants, but not me.)

That said, I do now have a denture that has less palate and I went out to eat and ate a burger and it was delish!!!! Next week I will have even more of the palate removed, which means more flavor, hooray. And it looks way better than the immediate.

The down side? I CANNOT get this thing out of my mouth! It's all but impossible! I have two blisters on my fingers from trying!!! I am told this can be fixed. It better!

xo, R
Cin

Carrollton, TX

#784 Oct 22, 2009
Pam,

Congrats on healing and making it this far. Sounds like you're finding workable ways to adjust to your new lifestyle and making the best out of it.

While I've been so excited about the implants for my upper plate, and healing for all but 1 post has been easy, that 1 and its position (front and center) has me questioning my decision. Seems that 1 spot is not happy and has been inflamed and tender for 2 weeks now! I've had 2 adjustments to relieve the pressure against that area and that's helped, and I was given Amoxicillan more as a precautionary and I've been taking it faithfully, but the puffiness is slow to go away and the area is still quite tender! Any pain is easily managed with Advil or Tylenol but I'm really tired of taking meds of any kind for this 1 thing. I know there's improvement cuz I can eat, talk, sleep, etc. whereas I struggled the first week. It's just tiresome to think this "hurdle" should be done and it isn't!!

I see the surgeon again on Monday so hope by then the 1 spot is significantly better or all well. I really don't want anymore problems or setbacks. I want to move forward and feel good again!
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#785 Oct 22, 2009
Cin - honestly, that sounds EXACTLY like my problem. Did they go back in there and check that the screw top did not pinch tissue? They cannot see that on any x ray .... they have to go back and undo it and re screw the thing. I went thru all of the same things you have. And it was such a simple fix. They could have fixed it the first time if they had gone back and checked to see.

Robin - I don't really get it. Sounds like the exact same thing as palatless ... what is the difference? Mine is supported by 4. Horseshoe shaped, comes out (yes, sometimes it is a bitch to get out ...) here is a hint. Do not try to bring it down evenly. Reach back with your index finger and pop loose one of the BACK implants. Then reach back on the other side and pop that back one loose. The front two will take little or no downward pressure to release. I did the same thing you did and about cried in frustration. Do you have little o-rings inserted in yours? I started with the black ones. They worked great, but didn't last long, and now I use the red --- don't despair. You WILL learn how to get them out. When you put them IN ... opposite.... front teeth first, then pop back side, and then other back side. You will figure out which works best - for me it's take it out by releasing the rt side, then the left. Good luck, let me know.
Hah! and I didn't and still don't know the difference .... a denture is a damn denture.
Robin

Bryn Mawr, PA

#786 Oct 23, 2009
Hi Angel! I knew that yours were supported by four, so I was really really disappointed. I will have to ask him about it next week. He did say that some people need more than four to have a true implant-supported denture. He said it has to do with bite and what's on the bottom, real teeth being much harder on the upper than a denture. More pressure. And I have my lowers still, so maybe that's it.

Did you get your horseshoe all at once? Or did the dentist remove the palate incrementally?

Cin, do you have more than 4 implants on top?
Cin

Carrollton, TX

#787 Oct 23, 2009
Angel and Robin,

I'll ask the surgeon on Monday about the possible pinch. I can function fine and everyday is different with some hours with all systems normal and others with the feeling of tenderness and irritation on that 1 place. I really don't want to have it unscrewed and then rescrewed in for fear of that not working out any better and prolonging the healing process and/or the current state of inflamation. I'm kind of torn so will just wait to see what he says and go from there. Bottom line: I don't want to experience pain anymore!

Robin, I have 5 implants on the top: 1 dead center in front, then 1 spaced out either side of the center, and the last are in the molar areas in back. All but the front center pop or slide into place just fine and have healed nicely. I can gently brush their posts and in between like dr said just fine without any pain, maybe a little tenderness or that could be my own fear of hurting something. Either way, I'm good with 4 of the 5 up top and all the lower.

I'm finding more foods I can eat well, and others I still have to work harder on, but in all I'm gaining more confidence and strength in my jaw muscles. The gums overall are toughening up and my upper plate isn't slipping and sliding around while chewing, yawning, sneezing or coughing anymore since the implants were put in, so my life has improved somewhat there too.

I've discovered though my tastes are changing. Since I had to keep away from biting into a hamburger for example, but now I can if it's a soft and small one, I don't really enjoy it anymore and prefer to use a fork! I've never been a big eater of sandwiches so I don't really miss them but that small change seemed kind of interesting.

I hope all have a great weekend and keep on smiling!
Robin

Bryn Mawr, PA

#788 Oct 23, 2009
I know what you mean about using a fork. It's just better! Have a great weekend.
Pam

United States

#789 Oct 23, 2009
I think the problem that most bothers me is not being able to taste my food. When you know what it is suppose to taste like as opposed to how it now taste.
When I got my dentures, I was fully aware that things would not be the same, but taste was not one of the things I thought about. Still I wouldn't change a thing to go back to what was in my mouth for the last several years.
You would think they could aireate the palate or something. I know you need the suction but adhesive powder would take care of that. Mine works so well that I sometimes think I will need a pry bar.
I can bite but it's more of a bite and pull action. If I can't bite it I just cut it up or break it off.
I don't know how long it takes to get rid of the awkward feeling in my mouth but imagine that time will take care of that.
All of you have a great weekend.
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#790 Oct 23, 2009
With my snap-on's I can eat anything. Anything. Bite into anything. Including caramel apples. They are tight and to not come out until I release them.
But Robin - I'm with you - I still don't think they're ever going to feel like they belong there.

Plano, TX

#791 Oct 23, 2009
Angel wrote:
With my snap-on's I can eat anything. Anything. Bite into anything. Including caramel apples. They are tight and to not come out until I release them.
But Robin - I'm with you - I still don't think they're ever going to feel like they belong there.
Ditto.

I have had the horseshoe implant dentures, uppers and lowers. 4/4 -About 9 months with these new ones, but teeth extracted Aug 2008.
I can bite into anything.(Ha!...but a front lateral tooth came out the other day eating just plain hamburger. Had to take off work and the prosthodontist "glued" it back in.)

I still hate wearing them. Uncomfortable. They annoy me. Constant unwanted pressures or pains, especially towards the front uppers. It is like wearing a shoe 3 sizes too small...the annoyance continuously grabs my attention throughout the day. Lips can get dry. Occasionally, talking does not come easy (too much tongue and too much plastic don't mix).
Taste/texture is inhibited, but not as bad as when I had the full palate.

Food gets under and around the denture during and following every meal. I personally believe that the food under the dentures agitates the gums, kind of like weak sandpaper. Then the gums are sensitive when I wear the dentures.

I find all these things very bothersome. I am always ready to take them out. I am trying to find ways where the dentures do not "grab" my attention...it makes it hard to function effectively or as actively.

I have been coating my dentures with olive oil recently. I am seeing if that will help keep food from sticking, and if it also offers some relief from the "burning" or unwanted pressures/agitations against my gums, especially the rugae area (front upper).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
upper dentures 22 hr Sandy 2
mini implants for lower denture (Apr '12) Dec 24 adam 5544 40
Use of implants can better support dentures Dec 23 maryjaneprincton 1
extractions and dentures (Jan '11) Dec 23 Paul Bear 34
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) Dec 22 timfrompittsburgh 1,250
36 years old female, just got dentures, is it w... (Jan '12) Dec 22 clara 111
Low Cost Dental Implants In Costa Rica Cut Into... (Dec '12) Dec 20 Edentulous 28
More from around the web