Sheila Hughes

Denton, TX

#4041 Jun 8, 2013
I have the all on four upper and lower. They function without moving. However, I had no idea that acrylic teeth were going to be so poorly designed and leave me unable to chew lettuce and other vegetables. I simply cannot grind. The outer teeth are beautiful but the inner teeth are barely teeth at all-they are mostly pink plastic. The prosthodontist, lab, and dentist main concern is looks and a tight fit that they can unscrew after removing portions of plastic from already poorly constructed teeth. A huge disappointment to me is that while I have an implant on the edge of my upper front gum, they placed my front teeth 2/3 " from the implant. What this means is they added a thick acrylic base on a portion of my palate to use as an anchor.
I'm sure the all on four feels better than full dentures, but after paying $36,000 I expected better results. If I had known that I would have a mouth of plastic, I would have had a few teeth pulled at a time and had single or 3 bridge implants over a longer period of time. I had no bone loss or disease when my teeth were pulled and the temp was placed that day. After 9 months, I am told that I have no other options do to loss of gum and bone. I'm having a terrible time adjusting and have been told by my dentist that I'm her only patient to complain. I'm screwed.
Petnumber1

Herriman, UT

#4042 Jun 8, 2013
Hello all, like many others, I've been lurking on this forum for the last 8 days since I had 17 extractions and full upper and lower immediates put in. It's been a bumpy ride, and yes, I'm very depressed about the eating thing and the sore spots thing and how clunky and unnatural these things feel.

Fortunately, I read the first couple thousand posts on this thread (back from like 2009), and in virtually every post was the admonition to rinse with warm salt water every hour or so, which I've been doing. And yes, it has helped.

Had to do a speech for 150 people in my company on day 6, which wasn't pretty. I explained to them all that I'd just had major oral surgery, and they were welcome to laugh at my lisping and slurring, as I would be laughing too. It went pretty well, once the ice was broken, but it was also videoed for future use, and I hate having that hanging around forever as a reminder of how pathetic I felt/sounded/looked!:) Oh well.

Like most others here, I still can't eat much - mostly yogurt, smoothies, juice, mashed taters, etc. Taco Bell has become my best friend, because the refried beans are manageable. I still can't bite anything, so burritos have to be cut up into tiny pieces.

Thanks for all of the supportive and helpful comments - I honestly don't think I could have dealt with this horror without all of you sharing your experiences.:)
Martin

Eden, NC

#4043 Jun 8, 2013
Ozlady wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Martin, I don't have a bottom denture and after talking to mindyloo over the past few weeks I consider myself very lucky to only be dealing with a top one! Mindyloo is right....it does get better, she's had heaps of problems with hers and is only just recently seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Two weeks in and I can tell you it really does get better as you go (even though there will be days that are worse and you think it's never going to improve......hang in there cause it really will!). And yep....you will be hungry lol.....so very hungry!
Today is better regarding pain and swelling. My jaw felt broken for a few days, guess due to having 28 teeth removed, but hardly hurts today. I still get shocked when I look in my mouth, but that's the way it is. Tried to wear bottoms today, but something isn't right. I sure hope they can get them right. Worried about the day my face starts sinking in, but not sure of anything that can be done to help avoid it. My father in law has wore dentures for 40 years and face looks perfect. He says he always wore them night and day except to sleep. Oh well, least I'm a man and have a moustache and can grow a beard...

Told my wife if she orders take out again I can't eat I'm gonna scream...Have been eating eggs, pudding, soup.
mikeswiss

Modesto, CA

#4044 Jun 9, 2013
Sheila Hughes wrote:
I have the all on four upper and lower. They function without moving. However, I had no idea that acrylic teeth were going to be so poorly designed and leave me unable to chew lettuce and other vegetables. I simply cannot grind. The outer teeth are beautiful but the inner teeth are barely teeth at all-they are mostly pink plastic. The prosthodontist, lab, and dentist main concern is looks and a tight fit that they can unscrew after removing portions of plastic from already poorly constructed teeth. A huge disappointment to me is that while I have an implant on the edge of my upper front gum, they placed my front teeth 2/3 " from the implant. What this means is they added a thick acrylic base on a portion of my palate to use as an anchor.
I'm sure the all on four feels better than full dentures, but after paying $36,000 I expected better results. If I had known that I would have a mouth of plastic, I would have had a few teeth pulled at a time and had single or 3 bridge implants over a longer period of time. I had no bone loss or disease when my teeth were pulled and the temp was placed that day. After 9 months, I am told that I have no other options do to loss of gum and bone. I'm having a terrible time adjusting and have been told by my dentist that I'm her only patient to complain. I'm screwed.
Sheila, I think your post does not belong to this thread because almost all of the posts here are about regular removable dentures. However, since I also had all-on-4 implants on upper and lower and wear fixed implant-supported dentures, I might just chine in a bit with your case. I see that you had quite similar negative experience to my first loading event. Although I had, b4 loading, warned my surgeon and dentist about the bulkiness of denture base and extended "wing" structures which would cause unbearable pains , discomfort, and functional disability and demanded for more streamlining on the dentures, they paid little attention to my request. The result was a nightmare/disaster that I demanded to make an immediate unloading and remove, trim, smooth all the sharply intrusive areas/parts that had caused tremendous pain, and then let me see the better streamlined arches making sure "I" have approved before re-loading. what happened was that I was able to receive much better dentures that still cause discomfort, but bearable staying inside my mouth. After that I started to request adjustments, mainly occlusal, while dentures are fixed in my mouth to improve functionality (eating, talking, resting, etc.)

After tens of such adjustment within my mouth, over all they are quite better/improved/comforter than since first loading and un-load/re-load, still not completely fit but close to acceptable. My dentist told me this will be a long way to go, which I have never imagined to begin with. I think you have every right to go to your dentist and demand right treatment to improve/complete your case after that much you have paid. GL
Jorjie

Kyogle, Australia

#4045 Jun 9, 2013
It's just on 18 months since I had all but three of my lower teeth removed and a lower acrylic partial made. Since then, I've had one reline. Now I'm about to get my permanent partial. I've chosen a chrome cobalt base, because it is so much thinner and far more comfortable to wear. I've had the final fitting and will have them on Wednesday. They are more expensive than the acrylic denture, but I thought that as I have to wear them for the rest of my life, I would go for comfort over cost. I'm in Australia and the denture will cost Australian $1150.
Ozlady

Melbourne, Australia

#4046 Jun 9, 2013
Jorjie wrote:
It's just on 18 months since I had all but three of my lower teeth removed and a lower acrylic partial made. Since then, I've had one reline. Now I'm about to get my permanent partial. I've chosen a chrome cobalt base, because it is so much thinner and far more comfortable to wear. I've had the final fitting and will have them on Wednesday. They are more expensive than the acrylic denture, but I thought that as I have to wear them for the rest of my life, I would go for comfort over cost. I'm in Australia and the denture will cost Australian $1150.
Hi Jorjie, Actually that's pretty cheap! I'm also in Australia and my upper was $1400 (mind you the gum part was made using the most expensive acrylic available, it's soft and slightly pliable for comfort) and the teeth i chose were also from the upper end price range (worth it thought im very pleased with how they turned out) and my sister is currently having a metal lower partial made at the same place and its costing her $2000! It's not all that expensive i guess though when you think that dentures haves expected life span of 8 to 10 years.
Ozlady

Melbourne, Australia

#4047 Jun 9, 2013
Martin wrote:
<quoted text>
Today is better regarding pain and swelling. My jaw felt broken for a few days, guess due to having 28 teeth removed, but hardly hurts today. I still get shocked when I look in my mouth, but that's the way it is. Tried to wear bottoms today, but something isn't right. I sure hope they can get them right. Worried about the day my face starts sinking in, but not sure of anything that can be done to help avoid it. My father in law has wore dentures for 40 years and face looks perfect. He says he always wore them night and day except to sleep. Oh well, least I'm a man and have a moustache and can grow a beard...
Told my wife if she orders take out again I can't eat I'm gonna scream...Have been eating eggs, pudding, soup.
Glad to hear you're improving! Oh i hear you aboutthe food part lol! It really does get better as you go....I'm actually starting slowly to be able to eat some real food over the last few days....it takes a long time to eat but it's nice to be able to eat at least a few "real" foods again! You'll get there before you know it! My sister as worn upper denture for over 20 years with no problems, shes ad some gum shrinkage of course but her face certainly hasnt shrunk in! She never has taken them out though, she even sleeps in them..only removes them to clean. I actually know a few people that had done this with no ill effects. I've only had mine just over 2 weeks but at this point I'm still only taking it out to clean it. I was told the longer it's left in the better at the start as the gums will heal to the shape of the denture. So far that's working for me, I've had only 2 minor adjustments, no liner needed yet, no movement and no glue so maybe there's some truth to the theory lol. Leaving it in overnight has also saed me the pain many complain about they get each morning trying to put the new denture back in.
I'm sure there's something they will be able todo to get your lower fitting correctly! Hang in there...you will be looking back with a smile in a few weeks!
Jorjie

Kyogle, Australia

#4048 Jun 9, 2013
Hi Ozlady - I think I got a bargain, but I know the denture maker gave me a discount because of my age - I'm in my 70's. I imagine that the lower denture will last me out, but the upper denture may have to be replaced before I depart this mortal coil.
Ozlady

Melbourne, Australia

#4049 Jun 12, 2013
Jorjie wrote:
Hi Ozlady - I think I got a bargain, but I know the denture maker gave me a discount because of my age - I'm in my 70's. I imagine that the lower denture will last me out, but the upper denture may have to be replaced before I depart this mortal coil.
Jorjie I hope all goes well for you with your new lowers! I've heard so many horror stories about lowers! Lets hope you are one of the lucky exceptions that has no problems with them!
Martin

Eden, NC

#4050 Jun 13, 2013
I must say a frustrating experience so far. First, I noticed any fluid in my mouth was going up a tooth socket and pouring out my nose, so I now have to get a sinus flap to block that hole...

I fought the lower and can not wear it. Just too painful. I told dentist I expected some pain, but this is too much, plus gums swollen and painful from having teeth removed. Still having a time with uppers, but can wear it, but gag some when I swallow. Went back to dentist today, he filed and adjusted numerous times but still couldn't get lower to work and can file no more. Got a lil mad as he kept trying to push and force it in my mouth. My mouth won't close with it in, teeth hit in the back, but front mouth open an inch and can't shut it. also painful and have a bad overbite. He agreed to due another impression next week for the immediate if I wanted. He told me to try and wear it, but I told him no.

The other thing that's gonna take getting use to is speaking. The uppers look great, but the backside teeth have no length to press your tongue against to roll it up, just slides over..Hope this can be fixed. I still feel like I have a plastic toy in my mouth. but hopefully the perms will be better.

Oh, did I say....I"M HUNGRY...

I sure hope this will eventually work out. I love the look, but worried I may not get a proper fit.

Since: Jun 13

Herriman, UT

#4051 Jun 13, 2013
Martin, my heart goes out to you. I'm going through many of the same things, and I teach/facilitate a class at work, so I'm super self-conscious about my speech. Have been practicing speaking out loud ("she sells seashells at the seashore," sigh) but I still feel ridiculous speaking out loud.

And I'm hungry too! I'm sick to death of scrambled eggs, yogurt, and soft noodles! I want a burger! Or a steak!

The glimmer of hope I CAN offer you is today, for the first time (13 days post-extractions/dentures), they are finally starting to feel normal. I've had them in all day long, and didn't immediately pull them out when I got home. The first week or so, like you, my uppers were okay, but my lowers were impossible. I didn't even wear them for over a week because they were so painful/ill-fitting.

I don't endorse this, but I finally took the dremel to them last night...evened out the painful parts, and did some work on the back of the top plate to stem the gag reflex. It made a world of difference. They are actually comfortable now!

I'm sure you've been doing this, but keep doing the warm salt water rinse several times a day. Also, keep taking Motrin - our gums are still swollen, even though they may not appear so on the outside. The Motrin helps that. I try to take it about an hour before I put the dentures in each morning, and then 4 hours after that.

Hang in there, buddy - it WILL get better, and don't stop working with your dentist until he can get them exactly how you want them. It's YOUR mouth, and you have to live with it, and it's his job to make everything right.:)
mindyloowho

Sedalia, MO

#4052 Jun 13, 2013
I had some family down and we had a bbq it's been three weeks since pulled and one week since the soft liners. I was able to eat hamburges with the bun hot dogs macaroni salad and ive even been eating chips and dip. iT is pretty amazing. I can't bite any of it pdf but if i cut it up and chew on both sides it's just like normal except trying not to bite yourself lol. I hope you are doing ok i never would've guessed in the weeks out would be this good.
Oz last wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol well the Kiev went ok...I ate most of it. I can't do they eat on both sides at once either...it's strange and doesn't feel normal that way to me lol. My left side seems more tender still so I ate mainly on my right side last night and it wasn't bad. I have however woken up this morning with a pretty sooty mouth on the left side so I may have overdone it a bit last night I'm thinking lol. Never mind it was soooo worth it! I will just go slow today....no chewy food lol.
How are you going with yours and eating? Is it still ok since the soft liner?
Ozlady

Melbourne, Australia

#4053 Jun 13, 2013
Martin wrote:
I must say a frustrating experience so far. First, I noticed any fluid in my mouth was going up a tooth socket and pouring out my nose, so I now have to get a sinus flap to block that hole...
I fought the lower and can not wear it. Just too painful. I told dentist I expected some pain, but this is too much, plus gums swollen and painful from having teeth removed. Still having a time with uppers, but can wear it, but gag some when I swallow. Went back to dentist today, he filed and adjusted numerous times but still couldn't get lower to work and can file no more. Got a lil mad as he kept trying to push and force it in my mouth. My mouth won't close with it in, teeth hit in the back, but front mouth open an inch and can't shut it. also painful and have a bad overbite. He agreed to due another impression next week for the immediate if I wanted. He told me to try and wear it, but I told him no.
The other thing that's gonna take getting use to is speaking. The uppers look great, but the backside teeth have no length to press your tongue against to roll it up, just slides over..Hope this can be fixed. I still feel like I have a plastic toy in my mouth. but hopefully the perms will be better.
Oh, did I say....I"M HUNGRY...
I sure hope this will eventually work out. I love the look, but worried I may not get a proper fit.
Lol oh yes HUNGER takes on a whole new meany doesn't it? Lol! Mind you, I'm happy I've dropped over 4 kg so I guess it's not all bad! I know the plastic feeling you are talking about...I really thought I'd NEVER get used to it...but I can honestly say it does get better every day! I'm not yet at the point I don't know it's there, but it bothers me WAY less than it dd at the beginning so I know I'm getting there! I have no experience with bottom dentures but what you're spraying certainly sounds like they don't get yours right....I'm sure it should fit!! Sounds like making new impression and starting again is the best thing for you!
You WILL get there! It DOES get better! I'm 3 weeks in today and had to go back today due to a few sore spots and loosening...he put one of those magic soft liners everybody raves about in! He said I won't know myself in a few dayr...,I told him I will be the judge f that lol. I'm undecided at this point on the oft liner...it's too early for me to judge as it was only done a few hours ago and it takes 6-8 hours to set properly. I can tell you the sore spots are pretty much illuminated already and the denture feels VERY comfortable! The test will be when I try to eat something which he told me not to do for till tomorrow if possible...,so soup for dinner...god I'm soooo over food like soup lol! I'm not hapoy with the way the soft liner lowers the upper denture a bit showing more teeth and making e very conscious not to smile too wide for fear of showing a lotof gum! He said over the next few days this will settle back in as I adjust to the soft liner.....it better or it will be him with the sore mouth when I see him again in a few weeks time &#128516;
Ozlady

Melbourne, Australia

#4054 Jun 13, 2013
Petnumber1 wrote:
Martin, my heart goes out to you. I'm going through many of the same things, and I teach/facilitate a class at work, so I'm super self-conscious about my speech. Have been practicing speaking out loud ("she sells seashells at the seashore," sigh) but I still feel ridiculous speaking out loud.
And I'm hungry too! I'm sick to death of scrambled eggs, yogurt, and soft noodles! I want a burger! Or a steak!
The glimmer of hope I CAN offer you is today, for the first time (13 days post-extractions/dentures), they are finally starting to feel normal. I've had them in all day long, and didn't immediately pull them out when I got home. The first week or so, like you, my uppers were okay, but my lowers were impossible. I didn't even wear them for over a week because they were so painful/ill-fitting.
I don't endorse this, but I finally took the dremel to them last night...evened out the painful parts, and did some work on the back of the top plate to stem the gag reflex. It made a world of difference. They are actually comfortable now!
I'm sure you've been doing this, but keep doing the warm salt water rinse several times a day. Also, keep taking Motrin - our gums are still swollen, even though they may not appear so on the outside. The Motrin helps that. I try to take it about an hour before I put the dentures in each morning, and then 4 hours after that.
Hang in there, buddy - it WILL get better, and don't stop working with your dentist until he can get them exactly how you want them. It's YOUR mouth, and you have to live with it, and it's his job to make everything right.:)
Lol...yes a burger is what I soooo want too! I'm sure I'm not far off that, well I hope so anyway! I want to actually be able to "bite" into a burger or a hotdog....or even a soft sandwich will do lol....just something I can actually bite into! &#128516;
Ozlady

Melbourne, Australia

#4055 Jun 13, 2013
mindyloowho wrote:
I had some family down and we had a bbq it's been three weeks since pulled and one week since the soft liners. I was able to eat hamburges with the bun hot dogs macaroni salad and ive even been eating chips and dip. iT is pretty amazing. I can't bite any of it pdf but if i cut it up and chew on both sides it's just like normal except trying not to bite yourself lol. I hope you are doing ok i never would've guessed in the weeks out would be this good. <quoted text>
Wow! That's almost REAL food! You are doing soooo well now! who would have thought it with the shaky start you had being unable to even wear them!
I had my first soft liner done today so we shall see...perhaps I'm not too far off that burger! I really want to be able to BITE into it though lol!
Really though I guess 3 weeks out this is really good progress! Just SEEMS like its been forever lol
marie

Altoona, PA

#4056 Jun 14, 2013
i have had dentures since I was thirteen 53 years ago,just had relined an now have burning upper lip under denture, an around inside mouth i was wondering if they are using new product now. my denist thinks it maybe fugus.it started when I got last work done, an I drink tons water

Since: May 13

Sedalia, MO

#4057 Jun 14, 2013
Yeah it's crazy! I hope your soft liner is great. It totally changed everything for me.....the taste is horrible for about a week though but after that it's nice. I've been working on biting but it's not going so well. Good luck on getting to your burger.
Ozlady wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! That's almost REAL food! You are doing soooo well now! who would have thought it with the shaky start you had being unable to even wear them!
I had my first soft liner done today so we shall see...perhaps I'm not too far off that burger! I really want to be able to BITE into it though lol!
Really though I guess 3 weeks out this is really good progress! Just SEEMS like its been forever lol
Ozlady

Melbourne, Australia

#4058 Jun 14, 2013
mindyloowho wrote:
Yeah it's crazy! I hope your soft liner is great. It totally changed everything for me.....the taste is horrible for about a week though but after that it's nice. I've been working on biting but it's not going so well. Good luck on getting to your burger.
<quoted text>
Well my guy must se different stuff cause I have no tast with the soft liner at all which is amazing for me because I'm really sensitive to tastes too, the slightest thing can make me nauseas! All I know is he said it was German and mixed 3 different things in bottles together to make the stuff. He said it had an antibiotic in it to help the gums heal faster as well as a light anaesthetic to numb them a bit and that would last about 3 days while the liner settled. He also said that today I should be able to bite into things and he was correct! He told me not to attempt to bite anything with the very front teeth but to bite with the side front ones and this actually worked! I just tried some clix biscuits before and I was actually able to bite into them rather than having to break them first! It felt amazing to be able bite something, even if it was only a clix biscuit lol. I'm really tempted to head to mac Donald's this afternoon and try a cheeseburger lol....
Ozlady

Melbourne, Australia

#4059 Jun 14, 2013
marie wrote:
i have had dentures since I was thirteen 53 years ago,just had relined an now have burning upper lip under denture, an around inside mouth i was wondering if they are using new product now. my denist thinks it maybe fugus.it started when I got last work done, an I drink tons water
Sorry Marie, I've not heard of this so can't help, but I guess they do use different materials now depending on how long it is since your last reline. Different dentists probably use different at eras too cause I know my peothesist said he used the most expensive acrylic to make my upper denture as he said its softer,slightly pliable and much more comfortable to wear, so this tells me there must be choices. So maybe you can get them to redo your reline in another material? Although I have no idea if that's possible since its just been done? Hopefully somebody else on here will be able to give you more helpful info! Good luck!

Since: May 13

Sedalia, MO

#4060 Jun 15, 2013
Hmm that does sound different. That's awesome that it helps heal. Sounds like you are making some good progress already. Let me know how mcdonalds goes. I haven't tried to eat out yet i may have to try that this week. I was able to eat cereal last night it was pretty easy..i didn't even have to let it get soggy. Can't wait to hear how you are doing with your liners!
Ozlady wrote:
<quoted text>
Well my guy must se different stuff cause I have no tast with the soft liner at all which is amazing for me because I'm really sensitive to tastes too, the slightest thing can make me nauseas! All I know is he said it was German and mixed 3 different things in bottles together to make the stuff. He said it had an antibiotic in it to help the gums heal faster as well as a light anaesthetic to numb them a bit and that would last about 3 days while the liner settled. He also said that today I should be able to bite into things and he was correct! He told me not to attempt to bite anything with the very front teeth but to bite with the side front ones and this actually worked! I just tried some clix biscuits before and I was actually able to bite into them rather than having to break them first! It felt amazing to be able bite something, even if it was only a clix biscuit lol. I'm really tempted to head to mac Donald's this afternoon and try a cheeseburger lol....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) 11 hr RogerWM 1,303
Broward Periodontist Restores Smiles One Dental... (Aug '07) 15 hr Zach 5
I hate my dentures! (Oct '11) 16 hr littlesavage 278
I love my dentures (Jul '09) 16 hr Marilyna 53
How to kiss? (Apr '12) 17 hr Marilyna 5
Pyschological effects of wearing full dentures 21 hr SwollenGoat 15
facial collapse (Feb '12) Sat Steve 62
Denture Adhesives and Useful Tips for New Wearers (Feb '12) Jan 22 BarbB 741
More from around the web