Cheer up New Denture Wearers
smallfry

Livingston, TX

#3758 Sep 18, 2012
Ive had my dentires for a year with no problems. But last week I got a cut under my top denatured forcing me to remove them...now I cant get them back in. Please help!!!
Natalie

Southwest Brevard Cnty, FL

#3759 Sep 20, 2012
It has been over a month now since I got lower dentures. I hardly ever wear them unless I am going out of the house. I put them in when I get where I am going. LOL My dentist must be terrible. I had the alveoplasty and am still having shards coming out. The dentist told me I was being a baby, that it didn't hurt that bad! Is he crazy?! I no sooner have the gum start to heal then it opens up with another shard. I don't even want to call the dentist since he and his office were so terrible. It looks to me like there are more shards trying to break through in the front of the gum, not the top like the others. Is anyone else having this issue? Any solutions that don't involve the dentist who wouldn't do anything when I went in last time anyways? I do have the top done, and did not have this issue. I had a different dentist then tho.
Lisa

Bay City, MI

#3760 Sep 20, 2012
I am now at 5 1/2 months (they said shrinking should be about done at 6 months)- Top denture and lower partial. Every time they put a new soft liner in, it will feel better for a day or two and then it gets hard and pinches where my gums would meet my front teeth - and the liner pushes my upper lip out so it looks like a "chimp lip". Should I wait until I am completely done shrinking and go to a different dentist and start over. There is a gap in the lower partial (both in front and back) that they say will get filled when I get my final liner. Again, this makes my face stick out unnaturally - Ugh!!! Any advice?????
misty

United States

#3761 Sep 21, 2012
I have a question...I just got my teeth removed 2 days ago...and my temps put right in...the first day was ok...and then after 24 hours went back into the dentist...he removed them and told me to start taking them out at night time...so I did...now it is the next morning and I cant get my uppers back in...The pain is horrible trying to get them in..I have white sores that the doctor said was normal...WHAT to do??? any advise...I am on 800mg of ibuprofen and took 2 percosets...I am in no pain just sitting here...with my bottoms in, but I can't get the tops in...???
Carolyn

Savannah, GA

#3762 Sep 25, 2012
Mary Ann wrote:
Deborah, your dentist's instructions are so contrary to my denturist's. I was instructed to brush them daily with only water; no toothpaste. He said the key to removing plaque was old fashioned elbow grease. I also soak it (I have only an upper now) once a week with a cleanser tablet.
I just had a check-up last week and he was very pleased that there was no plaque or buildup.
I hope that helps.
My dentist told me soak my dentures in a mixture of vinegar and water 1 tlb vinegar to your cup of water you soak your dentures in it really cleans the stains off of them hope this was helpful to you.
lorretta- Australia

Sydney, Australia

#3763 Oct 2, 2012
this information has been very interesting, thinking, thinking, thinking. I am just about to have my teeth removed, full denture at top and partial denture at bottom. I have so far too go, I knew it would be pretty uncomfortable, and not a quick fix. Probably why I have put it off for so long, plus I really don't want to say goodbye forever to my teeth that i
currently have, but not much of an option left. I am most concerned about having that big piece of plastic at the roof of my mouth, and of course comfort and realism of appearance. Is there any other option to the plastic mouth roof? Thanks to you all.
Rooty

Stites, ID

#3764 Oct 2, 2012
Check out flexible dentures at: www.http://dentures.net/flexib le-dentures.html

If that's not an option for you, insist your upper denture is made as thin as possible.

Make certain the S-line is correct so the denture will not interrupt your speech. Also, make sure there are very small ridges behind the two front teeth which will also help with speech.

Having hard plastic on the roof of your mouth sucks (food will never taste the same) but you will get used to it :)
One Big Pain

Fort Pierce, FL

#3765 Oct 3, 2012
I would like to know if there are any happy endings for people who have had the misfortune of having all their teeth pulled (for me 22 all at one time and dentures jamed in three weeks ago ergo One Big Pain) and have had a full denture done? Would love implants but at my age(70) don't have the funds. I would love to hear from some one who has gone through it and 1. Got so used to them they forget they're there and 2. Can eat normally without pain. I know I'm only three weeks into the journey but even an older person hates to look like granny without her teeth. Even my poor cat looks at me kinda funny when I'm without my dentures. Like most others the bottoms are killers! I just keep going back to my dentist for relief only it's not happening. However my heart goes out to all of you that are so young and have had this done. The odd thing is I'm on hdrocodone for chronic pain and it does nothing for my mouth pain. Best wishes to all!
One Big Pain

Fort Pierce, FL

#3766 Oct 3, 2012
misty wrote:
I have a question...I just got my teeth removed 2 days ago...and my temps put right in...the first day was ok...and then after 24 hours went back into the dentist...he removed them and told me to start taking them out at night time...so I did...now it is the next morning and I cant get my uppers back in...The pain is horrible trying to get them in..I have white sores that the doctor said was normal...WHAT to do??? any advise...I am on 800mg of ibuprofen and took 2 percosets...I am
in no pain just sitting here...with my bottoms in, but I can't get the tops in...???

Sucking on ice chips has helped with swelling for me. However I realize you posted this a while ago and have got them in or called your dentist. Make sure you rinse at least four times a day with warm salt water it helps. Good luck!
Rooty

Stites, ID

#3767 Oct 4, 2012
One Big Pain wrote:
I would like to know if there are any happy endings for people who have had the misfortune of having all their teeth pulled (for me 22 all at one time and dentures jamed in three weeks ago ergo One Big Pain) and have had a full denture done? Would love implants but at my age(70) don't have the funds. I would love to hear from some one who has gone through it and 1. Got so used to them they forget they're there and 2. Can eat normally without pain. I know I'm only three weeks into the journey but even an older person hates to look like granny without her teeth. Even my poor cat looks at me kinda funny when I'm without my dentures. Like most others the bottoms are killers! I just keep going back to my dentist for relief only it's not happening. However my heart goes out to all of you that are so young and have had this done. The odd thing is I'm on hdrocodone for chronic pain and it does nothing for my mouth pain. Best wishes to all!
Try Benzodent Dental Pain Relieving Cream :)
Nancy Noodle

Colorado Springs, CO

#3768 Oct 10, 2012
I'm at day 7 post extraction (nine extracted). I had the denture (top only) out overnight for the first time last night. Had a bit of difficulty and pain getting it in this morning. The dentist gave me a rinse to use as well. Tastes weird, but ok. I had no idea you could get a yeast infection under your plate! LOL! I went to the denturist yesterday, and he fixed a couple of sore spots, but I'm probably going to have to go back next week to fix the one still bugging me. The motrin helps, but I can't wait until I can insert and remove them without pain.
Rooty

Stites, ID

#3770 Oct 10, 2012
Kene3357 wrote:
" I was really nervous about getting top detures- honestly they r not as bad as I thought but I didn't know I had a choice of implants- my dentist didn't even mention them- I have really good insurance so wtf? I don't want to b able to take them out period...
Implants are VERY expensive and VERY painful but always better than a denture. Check with your insurance company regarding coverage and then find a new dentist :)
Shannon

Milwaukee, WI

#3771 Oct 17, 2012
So i'm almost 8 months in and still have my temporary top denture. The problem is my dentist was horrible and plain rude and mean, so when we started to work on my permanent, i just couldn't take it anymore and left his clinic. Can i go find another dentist who will pick up where he left off? We only got as far as the first permanent fitting.
Shannon

Milwaukee, WI

#3772 Oct 17, 2012
Nancy Noodle wrote:
I'm at day 7 post extraction (nine extracted). I had the denture (top only) out overnight for the first time last night. Had a bit of difficulty and pain getting it in this morning. The dentist gave me a rinse to use as well. Tastes weird, but ok. I had no idea you could get a yeast infection under your plate! LOL! I went to the denturist yesterday, and he fixed a couple of sore spots, but I'm probably going to have to go back next week to fix the one still bugging me. The motrin helps, but I can't wait until I can insert and remove them without pain.
I am about 8 months in to having my denture and got very very ill with a certain "yeast infection" in my mouth due to my denture about 4 months ago. I wasn't able to eat or drink or get out of bed and no pain med was strong enough!#1 take vitamins cause once you have so many teeth pulled your immune system is extremely weak.#2 make sure your not using too much adhesive, especially too much zinc! My mouth was completely raw with sores so be really careful when it starts again.
Shannon

Milwaukee, WI

#3773 Oct 17, 2012
D in MN wrote:
I am a couple weeks away from my first extractions. I am very nervous. I am only 35 and I cant avoid this anymore. I am afraid of the gagging that this will involve too. I am a gagger... I am not sure how my kids are going to deal with this either... Reading the comments here is giving me hope and at the same time scaring me to death...
I see this is old, how did it go? I'm only 28 and have a full upper plate :/ But this is where being terrified of the dentist has gotten me. Hope you got through it ok!
Shannon

Milwaukee, WI

#3774 Oct 17, 2012
Becky wrote:
I got my permanent denture one month ago, and the next day tongue was burning everytime I drank something. Turns out after a few days went by, I knew that I had Thrush. I went to my doctor, and he prescribed Nystatin liquid to rinse and hold in my mouth for a few minutes four times a day. I bought new toothbrushes, and use disposable cups for rinsing. I clean my dentures throughout the day, but I cannot get rid of this Thrush. I am now on a refill of the Nystatin, and it's just not helping. I also started eating Yogurt to try to help. I have read that denture wearers seem to get Thrush, can someone please help give me some advice for this, I have been online trying to read everything. Thanks
I know this is old but i got severely ill with something similar, i was in the hospital 3 times and told i had 3 different things, including thrush. I could not lift my head, the thrush like soars were too painful for me to eat or drink or take care of my young kids (i'm only 28) There's nothing they could do for it. Except radio therapy! If this ever happens again, ask for this! They use it for cancer patients and basicly it's a mouthwash that will do 3 things...It's an antacid, benadryl and lidocain mix. It works wonders and numbs your mouth for a short while to at least get food down! Also for the future, take vitamins as your immune system is very low due to extractions. Also make sure your not using too much zinc in adhesive, or use zinc free. I don't know if your case was as bad as mine but i hope it never happens again to me!
Shannon

Milwaukee, WI

#3775 Oct 17, 2012
Becky wrote:
I got my permanent denture one month ago, and the next day tongue was burning everytime I drank something. Turns out after a few days went by, I knew that I had Thrush. I went to my doctor, and he prescribed Nystatin liquid to rinse and hold in my mouth for a few minutes four times a day. I bought new toothbrushes, and use disposable cups for rinsing. I clean my dentures throughout the day, but I cannot get rid of this Thrush. I am now on a refill of the Nystatin, and it's just not helping. I also started eating Yogurt to try to help. I have read that denture wearers seem to get Thrush, can someone please help give me some advice for this, I have been online trying to read everything. Thanks
Ask for "radio therapy" if this happens again. It's a mouthwash usually used by cancer patients but i had the exact same thing, 3 doctors told me 3 different things including thrush. I was really bad and hospitalized due to dehydration. Nystatin will not help for this. Make sure to be taking vitamins to help your immune system since it's weak after extractions and can cause the so called thrush to come back..
Shannon

Milwaukee, WI

#3776 Oct 17, 2012
Becky wrote:
Also, the mouthwash will give you relief by numbing it long enough to eat and drink or whatever. It's a mixture of lidocain, benadryl and antacid. But it helps and i had a severe case of this.
D in MN

Denver, CO

#3777 Oct 19, 2012
Shannon wrote:
<quoted text> I see this is old, how did it go? I'm only 28 and have a full upper plate :/ But this is where being terrified of the dentist has gotten me. Hope you got through it ok!
First set of extractions went well. I still have a couple more weeks before my front 6 are extracted and get my immediate denture. So fAr so good. Just some bone fragments coming out still but I have been through so much worse. I just hope the next phase goes as well
honeyflcn

Terre Haute, IN

#3778 Oct 27, 2012
Question for someone who has had both upper and lower dentures for more than 6 months. Do you ever get used to them? Do you ever get to eat like a normal person again? I know this sounds so weird but some days when I get home from work I have that feeling like when you have chewed gum too long and you cant wait to get it out of your mouth and throw it away! I have actually caught myself about to take them out and trash them! I know I'm weird. Lately I have been finding myself biting down on both sides all day and just about every day I have a headache from doing this. I just want to eat some steak again!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
My experience with new dentures (Aug '11) Sun Jenney 8
Dentist ethics Sat Travy 1
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) Sat Sweetstallion 1,822
How should new dentures feel? Fri Lww098 1
Dentures soon Jun 24 Lori 4
Denture Adhesives and Useful Tips for New Wearers (Feb '12) Jun 24 Lori 934
So scared for new dentures Jun 23 Tclaurend 1
More from around the web