Cheer up New Denture Wearers
Rooty

Stites, ID

#3698 Aug 1, 2012
Angel wrote:
Honey.... your teeth are probably acyrlic and not porcelain .... plastic is not very sharp. You will spend a lot of time either chewing your food up properly or getting tired and giving up. If you have a 2nd set being made, sharper teeth (but less durable) are the porcelain. You will notice that onion and lettuce are pretty hard to chew to because the food seems to slide between the teeth instead of getting torn up. Practice. That's about the only advice I have.
Rooty - those are normal bone (root) fragments surfacing ... you can remove them yourself when they surface or you can go in and they will remove them with their handy-dandy dental tool. They are harmless usually, but hurt like h*ll.
Thank you!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#3699 Aug 1, 2012
Angel wrote:
Honey.... your teeth are probably acyrlic and not porcelain .... plastic is not very sharp. You will spend a lot of time either chewing your food up properly or getting tired and giving up. If you have a 2nd set being made, sharper teeth (but less durable) are the porcelain. You will notice that onion and lettuce are pretty hard to chew to because the food seems to slide between the teeth instead of getting torn up. Practice. That's about the only advice I have.
Rooty - those are normal bone (root) fragments surfacing ... you can remove them yourself when they surface or you can go in and they will remove them with their handy-dandy dental tool. They are harmless usually, but hurt like h*ll.
Thanks Angel....yeah in the general tso's chicken there were big chunks of onion that I love but most pieces I gave up on trying to chew them up. I would kill for a good salad but havent tried that yet. This is my one and only set of dentures I get. Angel I think I remember reading one of your post that you said you use the powder to secure your dentures. Does it work pretty good? Can you use it on both tops and bottoms? Is it zinc free? I have been using the denture adhesive and I hate it. It makes me gag when I'm trying to remove them it's so gooey and gross!
fog55

Pittsburgh, PA

#3700 Aug 2, 2012
Has anyone had weird muscle feeling in the lower facial area after removing dentures? It kinda scares me so I put them right back in pain or not. Iam afraid it could turn into a spasm.As it is it is not pain..just feels like my facial muscles are about to turn to jello or something.Had extractions & immediates 9 days ago.
sorry

Saint Marys, OH

#3701 Aug 2, 2012
fog55 wrote:
Has anyone had weird muscle feeling in the lower facial area after removing dentures? It kinda scares me so I put them right back in pain or not. Iam afraid it could turn into a spasm.As it is it is not pain..just feels like my facial muscles are about to turn to jello or something.Had extractions & immediates 9 days ago.
I don't know exactly what you mean, and I don't think I've read anything on this forum similar to that. Do you mean weakness?

At any rate, please call your dentist and have it checked out.

Location hidden

#3702 Aug 6, 2012
Who knew getting dentures could be so depressing. I've tried to think positive but when I chew and chew and chew and the food is not getting chewed up and the stupid lowers wont stay in even with adhesive I now see why people dont wear them. I would never go out in public without mine but at this point I feel like I'm never going to be able to eat in front of people again. We went to a family cookout yesterday and I was trying to eat a hamburger. I didn't have a bun just cutting it up and trying to eat it. I only ate about 1/4 of it because my mouth got too tired from chewing. I don't understand it because a week ago I was able to eat some chicken. I'm just so frustrated. My temp liner has come out and I go back Thursday for another one. Who know there would be so many dentist trips! All I have to say is if I can't ever eat a steak again in my life someone is going down! If just feels like my teeth are not sharp enough to eat it!
sorry

Saint Marys, OH

#3703 Aug 6, 2012
honeyflcn, I know it's discouraging. No one hates dentures worse than I do. But, after a year, I can eat just about everything. Steak included. Might take me longer, but I can do it. It was months before I ate in front of anyone, but I do it now, although I order things I know will be easy. I don't eat things like hot soup in public because I'm afraid the adhesive will fail and my teeth will be floating in my soup.

I don't think eating will ever be the same or as enjoyable, but it can be done. I know they seem like they're not sharp enough, and there were many times I sat and chewed and chewed with seemingly no results. But somehow you adjust and do it. Really.:)

Location hidden

#3704 Aug 7, 2012
sorry wrote:
honeyflcn, I know it's discouraging. No one hates dentures worse than I do. But, after a year, I can eat just about everything. Steak included. Might take me longer, but I can do it. It was months before I ate in front of anyone, but I do it now, although I order things I know will be easy. I don't eat things like hot soup in public because I'm afraid the adhesive will fail and my teeth will be floating in my soup.
I don't think eating will ever be the same or as enjoyable, but it can be done. I know they seem like they're not sharp enough, and there were many times I sat and chewed and chewed with seemingly no results. But somehow you adjust and do it. Really.:)
Thanks sorry, You have given me some hope. It just really seems like they are not sharp enough. I hope I will be able to eat normally or close to normal at least. The only good thing about this is I have lost some weight!
Rooty

Stites, ID

#3705 Aug 7, 2012
Greetings, I saw my upper denture for the first time today (remaining upper teeth are being yanked tomorrow morning - yikes!)

The teeth in the denture are very, very small. They look to be half the size of my "real teeth" - more like baby teeth.

What's up with that?

Thanks!!!!!
patrice

Anaheim, CA

#3706 Aug 7, 2012
If you do not like the teeth NOW...you will NOT ike them later! Call your dental ofc andell them that you are not wanting to go forward with this with those teeth! BE FIRM...it may be their business, but it is, ultimately, your life. Your own teeth may look longer to you due to gums receeding, but you have to be happy NOW.
Rooty

Stites, ID

#3707 Aug 7, 2012
The dentist told me if I didn't like them that he would have the lab make them larger for free. It's so hard to tell what they will actually end up looking like just holding them in your hand. How close should the size be to my real teeth?
sorry

Saint Marys, OH

#3708 Aug 8, 2012
honeyflcn wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks sorry, You have given me some hope. It just really seems like they are not sharp enough. I hope I will be able to eat normally or close to normal at least. The only good thing about this is I have lost some weight!
Plastic dentures aren't sharp at all. I think I had an advantage over some new denture wearers because I had crowns on almost all my teeth so I had already been through the chewing problems and the feeling that they just weren't sharp enough to cut food up and feeling like I was chewing with someone else's teeth. I can't explain why or how, but someday you'll realize you've adjusted to them and can chew just fine. Somehow it just happens.
Angel

Santee, CA

#3709 Aug 8, 2012
Just a quick update for anyone who has or is considering a permanent bridge: I did get a confirmation this morning that my fractured bridge (All on 4) has indeed broken into two pieces. The dentist and the office has offered to add an additional implant and install a new bridge to replace the failed part. For the time being, they replaced the screw and the broken piece to give me time to make a decision on when I want to begin the prodedure ... fortunately, I do not need an bone at the site where the new implant is going to be installed. The upside: I will still have total implant bridges. The downside: For 4-5 mos I will have to wear another partial to replace the 4 that will be missing from the present bridge until the implant osteogenates (sp) .... I am not surprised, or disappointed - it is just inconvenient. So - I guess I would say, if you are considering a permanent bridge ... no less than 5 implants ARE necessary.
patrice

Anaheim, CA

#3710 Aug 8, 2012
Rooty wrote:
The dentist told me if I didn't like them that he would have the lab make them larger for free. It's so hard to tell what they will actually end up looking like just holding them in your hand. How close should the size be to my real teeth?
Well, this is late getting to you....so sorry. At least the dentist is willing to make you happy. Go thru photos of where your natural teeth were the way you would like them to be. I brought photos of straight on shots and also ones where I was in profile (there's a long running story of my disatisfaction with the original permanents...sometime this last Feb). The head guy kept telling me that what I wanted was NOT correct....but, the lab re-made them to MY specs....and they are great for me! I had always had big teeth, and that is what I wanted back. I wish you luck and a LOT of patience on this journey!
debra

United States

#3711 Aug 8, 2012
Just had 23 teeth extracted and temporary dentures put in on Monday. It's 48 hrs and I'm suppose to take them out to clean them but I'm scared!!!!
Rachel

Rocklin, CA

#3712 Aug 8, 2012
I had the last 10 teeth of mine removed today. Sometime soon i am going in to get a temp. Denture and then 6-12 months later another one.
I am terrified of how i am going to adjust to this but since i havent smiled since i was 12-13 and i am 30 now i think it will be worth whatever i have to go through to get use to them. Reading all these posts are making me a lot more confident also:)
Rooty

Stites, ID

#3713 Aug 9, 2012
New problems ... had my immediate upper full denture put in yesterday.

1. The pallet is so thick I an't eve swallow my own saliva. It's like 1/4-inch or more.

2. When I bit down, only the last tooth on each back side touch my lowers.

There is no way this thing will work. Please tell me this is not normal.
sorry

Saint Marys, OH

#3714 Aug 9, 2012
Rooty, the palate is probably normal. For me, it's the most annoying part, and I have run my tongue over it constantly for the last year. Still not used to it, and I have to assume it's just me because most other people don't complain about it. Unfortunately, it's needed to provide suction to keep the denture in.

Go back to your dentist and tell him your bite is off.(S)he can adjust it. I had to get mine done when I first got the denture, and a little grinding should fix that part at least.

Location hidden

#3715 Aug 9, 2012
Well I'm back to vent again... I just got back from the dentist a few hours ago they put in a new temp. liner and while I was at the dentist I thought it felt just fine...come home and just tried to eat SPAGHETTI and the stupid bottom denture popped right out....are you kidding me just spaghetti not hard to chew. You know I watched a video online recently about dentures and the woman in the video was deciding if she was going to get dentures or not and her friend who wears dentures was telling her oh you will have pain for a day or two then you will be fine and all the time the "friend" is eating ribs and various foods with no problem...and I'm yelling at the computer screen "it's a lie!" lol!

Rooty.....I know how you feel I felt the same the palate felt way too thick and just like Sorry I am constantly running my tongue over it all the time. I have also had to have my bite fixed several times that is better for me now but I just can't keep the bottom denture in!
Rooty

Stites, ID

#3716 Aug 9, 2012
sorry wrote:
Rooty, the palate is probably normal. For me, it's the most annoying part, and I have run my tongue over it constantly for the last year. Still not used to it, and I have to assume it's just me because most other people don't complain about it. Unfortunately, it's needed to provide suction to keep the denture in.
Go back to your dentist and tell him your bite is off.(S)he can adjust it. I had to get mine done when I first got the denture, and a little grinding should fix that part at least.
Went back to dentist today and he agreed, my upper denture is the worst piece of junk he has ever seen. He is as furious as me. The denture palate should be translucent and thin but mine was at least 1/4" thick. The bite is so off he cannot fix so. So, he took new impressions and returned them, along with the screwed up denture, back to lab to make me a new one. Good grief, could things get any worse?
sorry

Saint Marys, OH

#3717 Aug 9, 2012
Rooty wrote:
<quoted text>
Went back to dentist today and he agreed, my upper denture is the worst piece of junk he has ever seen. He is as furious as me. The denture palate should be translucent and thin but mine was at least 1/4" thick. The bite is so off he cannot fix so. So, he took new impressions and returned them, along with the screwed up denture, back to lab to make me a new one. Good grief, could things get any worse?
Could things get any worse? Possibly. After one soft reline, my right front tooth was where the left one should be and the left one was where whatever that next tooth is called. lol

Good that your dentist is so willing to make things right though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dentures are far too big (Jun '10) 11 hr karen webster 83
new dentures are stuck help !!! (Mar '12) Tue Metoo 14
E-Day in 25 days with immediate dentures upper ... Tue Chris 3
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) May 23 Mightymouse 1,813
High narrow palate May 22 Avalon06 1
my local denture man fixed my problem. May 22 pockermania 1
Denture Adhesives and Useful Tips for New Wearers (Feb '12) May 20 Sherrie 910
More from around the web