Cheer up New Denture Wearers
Tamara

Tishomingo, MS

#3438 Apr 12, 2012
Angel wrote:
Wow ... I never knew there was any kind of limit on how many times a day you could use the Fixodent powder ... I used it whenever I needed it ... carried a vial of it in my purse .... I piled it on pretty good and it would hold quite awhile ... hot liquids (coffee, tee, etc.) and carbonated beverages would and could loosen it prematurely. IF I were you - I'd use it as much as you needed. I can't believe you're already back to work and teaching and talking so well in 14 days ... Well done!
I can't say I'm talking well but I can get my point across. Thankfully I have a full time assistant in my class with me. Thank you for responding. I do drink a lot of tea in a day as my throat feels dry and scratching all the time. I don't do any soda's but I wondered if hot stuff would make it become loose. I'm like you... About to pour the powder on! Thanks again!!!
Kay

United States

#3439 Apr 13, 2012
Hi. I am a new denture wearer. 3 days in. Its new but reading this forum makes a world of difference. I cant wait to be able to try adhesives (still have stitches in) I was so convinced that poly or super grip was the way to go but the more I read, it seems like powder may be better. I read somewhere on here about mouth sores. There was a tip that said to put something like ambesol in thd dentures and the area will be numb for awhile. I tell you.it works. I found a liquid called kanka. I am okay with it until the bottom moves. I dont know about others but I take pain meds routine just to get the pain before it gets me
Shannon

Milwaukee, WI

#3440 Apr 13, 2012
I am only 28 years old and just had all of my upper teeth extracted 4, almost 5 days ago and a temporary denture put in right away.

My teeth were horrid, bad genes run in my family.

I have so many concerns and questions but don't know where to start. I will get my other denture in about 6 weeks, the permanent denture i guess you could say. Will i go back to my dentist to pick out teeth color, size and shape, how they will sit, gum color, ect...?? My temp looks too perfect, and fits really funny which i know i'm swollen and gums will eventually shrink but i hope my dentist can fix my temp to make it feel more comfy. It feels so thick on the roof of my mouth, and talking is really tricky, i feel like i'm gaging almost.

How long does it usually take to retrain yourself to talk again?

From a very worried (but happier) new denture wearer...
sorry

Saint Marys, OH

#3441 Apr 13, 2012
Shannon, 6 weeks is way too soon to get your permanent denture. Maybe you meant 6 months. Your gums will continue to shrink for months. In the meantime, you can get adjustments. I hope you have an appointment to have your extraction sites checked and the denture checked for fit, etc. Don't forget your salt water rinses.

I think normal practice is for you to choose teeth color when they do the impressions for your immediate denture. When you go for your permanent denture, they should do impressions, and at that time make sure you ask to choose the color, etc., for your permanent.

Yes, the palate feels thick. I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to it.

As far as talking, read aloud, talk as much as you can, even if you have to talk aloud to yourself. I know you think now there's not much hope that you'll be able to talk "normally" again, but you will. It just takes time and practice.

You already have one advantage - you're already happier, and you didn't mention pain or inability to eat. That's really something!
Sammie

New York, NY

#3442 Apr 14, 2012
Hi all I have been reading and reading and reading these posts. LOL My experience has been not so great I really am having a hard time adjusting to this piece of plastic in my mouth, I don't understand why because I have had an upper for some time now and that works out so what is up with these lowers. I had me Eday in Feb and just got these monsters two weeks ago. Every single day is worse then the last. I told the dentist that they were to big length wise you know like can't open mouth to get spoon in etc. He said I would adjust. Two weeks later no change still fell like there is no free space. Does any one think he can change the size of these to fit me? I have told him all along even the wax try in that they were to long he doesn't seem to hear me. Can any one help. My insurance company wants me to work it out with him HElP Am in tears

Since: Apr 12

East Tennessee

#3443 Apr 14, 2012
I had my upper teeth pulled Monday and I'm already eating pretty good, my new problem is I have developed what seems like a cold sore on the corner of my mouth but it has three knots in it, so I'm not sure what it is any sugestions on what to use to clear this up? I've been using sayman salve but hasn't really made it any better. I am getting a couple sore spots where the denture is meeting my gum I go back Monday to have my stitches removed but don't know how to ease the pain of the sore spots on my gums till then. Any suggestions?
jai

Florence, AL

#3444 Apr 15, 2012
i am 42 and about two months ago had 9 extractions and upper dentures made. my smile was never very pretty so i am not a smiler . i think the dentures look alright and pretty natural but I know that they are fake. it is hard for me to show them not only because i have learned not to smile but because i don't want anyone to see the dentures. my family says they look good but i still can't get used to them. is it just in my head or is it a valid concern? how can i get over it and just accept that i have dentures.:( i am hoping that when my permanent denture is made in a couple of months i will feel more comfortable. anyone know if that's true?
Kay

United States

#3445 Apr 15, 2012
Wolflover07 wrote:
I had my upper teeth pulled Monday and I'm already eating pretty good, my new problem is I have developed what seems like a cold sore on the corner of my mouth but it has three knots in it, so I'm not sure what it is any sugestions on what to use to clear this up? I've been using sayman salve but hasn't really made it any better. I am getting a couple sore spots where the denture is meeting my gum I go back Monday to have my stitches removed but don't know how to ease the pain of the sore spots on my gums till then. Any suggestions?
Hi there, I had problems the first night but reading around here, you find helpful tips and great advice. I use something called "kanka" I use it on the few spots and it works wonders. I can be pain free for hours, it only bothers me whrn I move my lower. It keeps you numb.... Even with liquids. I also read about "benzodent". Try one and see the difference. By the way, I found it at cvs. Good luck. Ps I Am only 5 days in.
Shannon

Bristol, WI

#3446 Apr 15, 2012
Jai,
I too am hoping that when i get my permanent denture, it looks better than my temp. My temp is thick and annoying. I was told to make sure the teeth on the permanent will not be too short, your mouth will shrink and teeth will start to be not as visible, which is the point of having them, to see them! I am a week in and need some adjustments with my temp already. My main concern (1 of the many concerns)is my face "sinking in". I wonder if i get to pick what they will look like,(the permanent) and some good advise i recently also got was that what you feel you look like to others, they don't know, but i'm so paranoid when i'm out in public. I'm trying to stay possitive and hope you do as well. I feel too young for this :( I have so many wonders and concerns, this is all new. Well i'd better stop rambling on.
Becky

Maryville, TN

#3447 Apr 15, 2012
Debbie wrote:
Today is day two from having my upper teeth pulled and a denture put in, I'm so swollen it feels like my denture is gonna pop out. I can't chew anything and already tired of soup I am starting to second guess myself about having this done, it's so painful and I've had a headache since Monday . When will the swelling deminish?
Debbie, I had 11 upper teeth pulled just a few days before you, and an immediate denture put it. My face swelled on the third day, and I used ice packs thru the day fifteen minutes each side. I slept with an ice pack. Swelling was over on the fifth day.Warm salt water gave me some relief, and helps a great deal with the gums healing. I also had a headache couple of days, and took Ibuprohen every four hours first week. I found that I could eat speghetti, and potato salad mashed up. I developed a couple of sores on my gums that made even more unbearable to remove my dentures, and put them back in. I went back for my week check-up, and showed the dentist my sores. He thinned out the places inside the denture that were rubbing my gums, and wow what a difference!! I found out I had a dry socket, and had to have that packed. After one week I am starting to put a little Fixodent powder in the front of my denture because it seems to slide just a little. All you have to deal with does wear on your nerves, but I see an improvement after a week, so it has to get better.
Becky

Maryville, TN

#3448 Apr 15, 2012
Wolflover07 wrote:
I had my upper teeth pulled Monday and I'm already eating pretty good, my new problem is I have developed what seems like a cold sore on the corner of my mouth but it has three knots in it, so I'm not sure what it is any sugestions on what to use to clear this up? I've been using sayman salve but hasn't really made it any better. I am getting a couple sore spots where the denture is meeting my gum I go back Monday to have my stitches removed but don't know how to ease the pain of the sore sp
ots on my gums till then. Any suggestions?
Wolflover,I had my upper teeth pulled 12 days ago. Those sore spots really hurt, and I asked my dentist if there was anything to put on them that would numb the gum. He told me not to use anything because it could cause the clots to come out where the teeth were pulled and cause a dry socket. I could hardly get my denture out or back in because of those sore spots, it was about unbearable. On my one week check up I showed my dentist those spots, and he thinned out the inside of my denture that was rubbing the gumm, and causing those sores. be sure to get your dentist to do this for you.
jai

Florence, AL

#3449 Apr 16, 2012
Shannon
my first temporary teeth had to be replaced they were to small and didn't line up to my lower teeth. they fit better now but my gums are still shrinking so i need a soft liner. i haven't been back since instead i use cusion grip to fill in the small gaps then i use powder to hold them in. i am able to get a pretty good fit that way. i can eat almost anything and i don't feel like people really know i have dentures. i still hide them when i talk though. as far a shrinking in i don't feel that especially when the teeth are in. it does get better. i just can't wait till i get the permanent ones so i can adjust to those and get over my feelings of embarassment. thanks for your reply. stay positive as well. it is our reality, we might as well accept it.:)
michelle

New York, NY

#3450 Apr 16, 2012
Thank you to who ever it was that suggested using a combination of benzodent numbing agent then fixodent powder on my lower denture! So far it seems to be settled into place. The real test will come when I eat but just knowing I can somehow keep this monster in my mouth and talk that is sooooooooo nice. Baby steps right?
Sammie

New York, NY

#3451 Apr 16, 2012
Just want to thank Sorry because her posts almost always make me laugh. Like her I try to use humor to get through things. One post a few pages back comes to my mind during this difficult adjustment time.........Blah Blah Blah Still hate this denture!
That simple sarcastic sentence gets me smiling every time I want to cry or complain about this rotten piece of blank that I have to wear. I am in no way down playing all of the other members of this forum just Sorry I am one of your biggest fans. I truly wish none of us had to endure this. But humor and hopefully time will help us all in the end.. Cheers
Brandy

Memphis, TN

#3452 Apr 16, 2012
Wow I am really excited to read these posts and see that I am not alone. I had 14 pulled from the top 10 days ago. So far I'm good on the pain (only the 1st couple days) but the eating thing has got me pretty bummed. In my dream land I would be able to eat by now, hard tacos and everything else! So my main question is When can you eat fully?? I can totally relate to the talking issue, feels like I have a retainer in my mouth or something. I've seen a few post about 1 week checkups, I was told to come back in 3 weeks, is this odd to anyone? The people at the dental office just talk to me like I am familiar with dentures, I can't get them to understand I need explanations for the simplest thing... Toying with regret... Any info/feedback is greatly appreciated.
Shannon

Milwaukee, WI

#3453 Apr 16, 2012
So many questions i have...What is this "liner" i'm hearing about? A lot of you wear a liner or cushion in your denture, is it for a temp or permanent denture? I'm only 1 week in as of tomorrow and have 1 painful spot on my gum (above my canine tooth, or "i" tooth" I heard using orajel and ambesol are not good, they can cause dry sockets by pulling the clot out, is this true? 1 week til my check-up, hope my temp can be shaved down in that 1 spot. Also i'm developing soars in the back of my cheeks, as if i'm biting them. My temporary doesn't have teeth in the back, only front teeth so i don't get it. I'm just so anxious for the end of all this anxiety and not knowing what to expect. But, keeping positive! I'm smiling at my kids finally, my son is 2, i don't think he's seen me smile with confidence, my kids keep me keepin' on :)
sorry

Saint Marys, OH

#3454 Apr 16, 2012
Sammie, thanks. Come back in a year and I'll still be here whining and reminding people how much I hate this thing. Angel will also still be here trying to convince me I'm not a freak.

Brandy, 3 weeks is odd to me. I was supposed to go back the next day, and I think most people go back sooner than 3 weeks. As far as eating, it's different for different people. For me, it was months, but I have a terrible attitude about it.:)

Shannon, a soft reline is a new lining. Another impression is taken to compensate for your shrinking gums, and they use some kind of material that goes on the inside of your denture. It tastes like airplane glue but will make your denture fit better. I had a bunch of them. But I don't understand why your temp has only front teeth in it.

Everyone, do not suffer with sore spots waiting for a scheduled appointment. Go back as soon as they start. I can't tell you how many times I went. You paid for a denture that fits, and if it fits, you won't get sore spots.

Since: Apr 12

East Tennessee

#3455 Apr 17, 2012
It's been one week since I had my upper teeth removed and dentures put in, I had my stitches removed yesterday and he made an adjustment as I have developed an ulcer on the left side and today I'm pretty sure I'm getting one on the right side now, I don't know if it's my imagination but it seems that my denture has "grown" or something, idk it just seems bigger to me for some reason!! It seems as if my saliva glands are suddenly in overdrive, IM TIRED!! So very emotional drained, so much so that my fiancÚ moved out. I am now dealing with this on my own. How dare he leave because of my emotional trama!!
Sammie

New York, NY

#3456 Apr 17, 2012
My oh my do my gums hurt! I have such a sore spot I go for an adjustment on Thurs. Can't believe I a saying this but....can't wait to go to the dentist!!
Shannon

United States

#3457 Apr 17, 2012
Brandy wrote:
Wow I am really excited to read these posts and see that I am not alone. I had 14 pulled from the top 10 days ago. So far I'm good on the pain (only the 1st couple days) but the eating thing has got me pretty bummed. In my dream land I would be able to eat by now, hard tacos and everything else! So my main question is When can you eat fully?? I can totally relate to the talking issue, feels like I have a retainer in my mouth or something. I've seen a few post about 1 week checkups, I was told to come back in 3 weeks, is this odd to anyone? The people at the dental office just talk to me like I am familiar with dentures, I can't get them to understand I need explanations for the simplest thing... Toying with regret... Any info/feedback is greatly appreciated.
Brandy i feel the same way! Last Tuesday i had all of my uppers pulled and a temp put in and on my way out, having no clue as to how this all works,(i'm only 28 by the way) they scheduled an appt. 3 weeks away as well, i couldn't believe it. I had so many questions, and all they would say is "when that time comes, we will talk about it then". So i sit here with anticipation. I want to know what happens next, when do i get my permanent and when do i pick out color and get more accurate fittings, ect ect ect...I feel uneasy about this "waiting game". But i am happy to say a week in and i'm eating dinner with my family, real food, not hard tacos or anything like that yet but chicken, veggies, ect... And talking has been very good, i feel like i'm gaging and my mouth is soar by the end of the night, but i feel confident talking again so you will get used to it, do lots of reading aloud! I guess everyone's experience is different, but so similar in lots of ways. Thank goodness for this forum :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Repairing a broken bottom denture 5 hr Alesia 1
I hate my dentures! (Oct '11) Tue inmyopinion 343
chewing with porcelian vs acrylic (Jun '10) Tue Janajobear 58
Denture Adhesives and Useful Tips for New Wearers (Feb '12) Mar 26 Austin 988
Learning to eat with dentures (Jun '09) Mar 26 Annie 1,397
New dentures won't go back in! (Feb '10) Mar 26 Bob 95
bad taste & smell of reline (Jun '11) Mar 26 Bob 46
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) Mar 20 so-confused 1,965
More from around the web