Cheer up New Denture Wearers
Bob379

Dallas, TX

#3215 Jan 3, 2012
I had 4 lowers extracted today at 1:00 and a temporary lower partial put in. It wasn't to bad. I took a Vicodin 30 minutes prior and the Novocain didn't wear off till around 4:00. I had Ramen Noodles at 6:00 and had coffee all afternoon.

I used a little 2% Lidocaine Viscous and it's keeping my mouth numb, I seem to better taking care of the pain with it instead of the pain pills.

I wanted to do this before Christmas , but the dentist and I had a little conflict in the teeth I wanted removed. He wanted to do two and I wanted all 4 out and get it over with. He's like we can add another tooth to the denture later. I am like quit jacking me around, let's be done with it.
ScorpioLady

Forest Hills, NY

#3216 Jan 3, 2012
ventilatte wrote:
Every forum has its set of trolls, if you ignore them they generally wander elsewhere looking for the attention mommy and daddy never gave them.:)
Anyway, I'm on Day 15, and I finally get to go back to the dentist tomorrow for my first adjustment. But what a difference between today and the first week! My speech is back to normal, I can sleep great, and I'm getting into the habit of smiling more often than I ever have in my life. I still hate taking my denture out, but I rinse it after each meal while I brush my bottom teeth, and soak it each day while I'm in the shower.
I'm a little impatient with the chewing problem though. I love cooking and definitely haven't lacked for soft foods to eat (my favorite combo being spicy turkey meatloaf with mashed cauliflower!) but there's a lot of stuff I'm missing! I tried biting down on a cooked carrot tonight and couldn't. The only time during all this that I've felt any pain is when I do try and chew something...the pressure on my upper gum is uncomfortable then, and I feel the plate moving. I honestly can't tell whether it's the healing that causes the discomfort during chewing or whether my plate being slightly too large is the culprit!
Hoping to get a soft reline tomorrow, but I also do fear my bite is off with the temp plate and I'm anxious about tomorrow and how my dentist will address my concerns. I'm also really anxious for the go-ahead from him to use adhesive freely, which I think will set my mind at ease during my long work shifts!
Hope everyone's 2012 is off to a decent start!
You are exactly on point, ventilatte, and thanks to all for the encouraging remarks. You can't please everybody! But you are the reason I love this message board. 15 days and your progress is remarkable. I find that enormously encouraging! I have the same concerns you do, but I have had several adjustments (how have you survived with no adjustments so far!) and my dentist has not been able to eliminate at least 2 consistent sore spots. And I am still going through quite a bit of pain attempting to chew anything harder than a banana. It feels like the bone hurts in addition to the aggravation on the sore spots. Some of them were resolved and the healing was almost instantaneous. That is why I know the other adjustments have not corrected the remaining spots. It definitely hurts to put them on, but I cannot bear them on all the time! The fact that you are more comfortable keeping them on than not is fantastic! Friends of mine who have adjusted to their dentures say the bone hardens and you no longer feel the pain of chewing. If only that was the case now! But if it does happen with time, I'll be glad when that train arrives!

I generously pour 2% viscous lidocaine into the denture to bear it. Like you I dread that the adjustments will not be successful. I have missed the pleasures of every holiday meal since the first extractions and I miss tasty food. I especially miss the feel and taste of food on my upper palate when I do attempt to eat with my dentures. They say that also goes away. I haven't quite figured out how...

If the sore spots are resolved, I think I will have a renewed perspective. You cannot go in everyday and I have to wait between appointments and endure when it doesn't work. While in the office, it does seem corrected - then I am stuck for as long as the next available appt before finding out how unsucessful the adjustment was. Because the dentist is always saying "Give it time to heal". And of course, it stays sore. So I don't find out until a day or so later that the source is still the denture fit.

It is a long, expensive trip for me I don't care for the hassle or the pain. But I am wishing the best to you, ventilatte! Hang in there! Waiting to know how it works out! You sound like you will truly be one of the inspiring success stories that give me hope!
ventilatte

Lakeland, FL

#3217 Jan 4, 2012
ScorpioLady, thank you so much for your kind comments! This forum has been such a blessing during all this. You're way too generous though, I wouldn't quite call me a success story yet...this has been such a journey of ups and downs! My one true saving grace during this experience has been that I haven't experienced any pain. This has been such a hard adjustment so far, I cannot imagine for one second going through this massive change AND also dealing with horrible pain at the same time. Those of you who suffer during the healing process and persevere to be happy, confident denture wearers are the true sources of inspiration here!

So I had my first 'adjustment' appointment today, only I walked out with nothing being done! I expressed my bite concerns and my dentist felt and examined my bite for a few moments before telling me it was fine, and said that my denture was still fitting tightly enough that it didn't need a soft liner yet. He said perhaps in another month or so when the gums had shrunk more. I was surprised. He also asked me about adhesives, which I reminded him he'd told me not to try at ALL until this appointment with him, but he gave me the clear. He asked me so many times about sore spots I started wondering if I had any and just didn't know it but surely he would have been able to point them out on my gums, right? It was such an add appointment.

One interesting thing; he asked about my diet and I talked about the variety of soft foods I'd been eating, and he more or less told me I needed to speed things up and try some harder foods. Ooooooookay! I told him how uncomfortable the chewing sensation was and he told me to chew on both sides, which I'd heard before but I guess wasn't doing right. So I decided to plow ahead and had my hubby grill some burgers tonight, with crispy french fries on the side. And I successfully ate a burger (on a toasty bun) and fries! It wasn't exactly the most pleasant though...it did taste good, but I focused so much on chewing my jaw was sore after! I guess I hadn't really taken it to heart when my dentist told me I'd have to learn a new way to chew, but that's definitely what I did tonight...a lot of up and down motion, trying to distribute the pressure equally. I guess I should be glad for my dentist prodding me, because I didn't think I would be ready to try something like a burger for another week or two. But oh I long for the day when something like eating a burger doesn't feel like so much WORK! When I get to Day 20, I'm going to attempt pizza and I hope it's easier! Figures that I've been making all these healthy soft meals and now that I'm trying to chew I'm gravitating towards junk food, hehe!
jessica

United States

#3218 Jan 5, 2012
I am 9 weeks since having 14 teeth pulled and a top temporary put in. Im on my second liner being put in..going for the 3rd on pretty soon. My denturist said my gums are shrinking rapidly and I should be able to be fitted for permanents come April. Im able to actually eat a lot of foods.(Minus steak of course) was finally able to bite into a hot dog on a roll yesterday :) It took me awhile to be positive about being a denture wearer. Every time i would give up and cry about having to adjust to them, i would think about the infections i kept getting. My husband has been very supportive the past 9 weeks. I am only 24 years old, so it was VERY hard on me to go through the process.

I was happy to see my family for the holidays.(I live out of state and this was the 1st time family/friends switch my new smile) they LOVE my teeth and said you would think they were my own.

all I have left to say is...BE STRONG AND THINK POSITIVE!!! I really didn't think I would ever get to where im at since day 1, but im here and its only looking up from here on out!
Petra

Hampton, VA

#3220 Jan 9, 2012
Happy New Year everyone.
I finally got my permanent dentures attached to my implants and what a difference that makes!!!! I have full upper and lower dentures attached to 4 implants each.
Finally no more flopping around lower dentures, no more powders, I am finally able to bite into a sandwich. I don't have to cut everything into bite size pieces.
It was quite a journey, full extractions in one sitting, immediate dentures put in, dealing with granny mouth, flopping dentures that didn't want to stay in place, food trapped under the dentures and rubbing...all finally in the past.
Good luck to all of you in your denture journey and thank you all for your wonderful help in making this journey a bearable one for me.
I will keep reading and contributing here because the experiences shared here were invaluable to me and I want to give back.
See you all soon.
Petra
Jessica

Falls Church, VA

#3221 Jan 9, 2012
Petra wrote:
Happy New Year everyone.
I finally got my permanent dentures attached to my implants and what a difference that makes!!!! I have full upper and lower dentures attached to 4 implants each.
Finally no more flopping around lower dentures, no more powders, I am finally able to bite into a sandwich. I don't have to cut everything into bite size pieces.
It was quite a journey, full extractions in one sitting, immediate dentures put in, dealing with granny mouth, flopping dentures that didn't want to stay in place, food trapped under the dentures and rubbing...all finally in the past.
Good luck to all of you in your denture journey and thank you all for your wonderful help in making this journey a bearable one for me.
I will keep reading and contributing here because the experiences shared here were invaluable to me and I want to give back.
See you all soon.
Petra
Question for you. How was it getting the implants put in? Did they hurt? And how bearable is it with the denture clicking in/out of place?
Angel

Santee, CA

#3222 Jan 9, 2012
Petra .... removable dentures??? Congratulations ...so happy for you!

Jessica - it hurts worse to get a root canal. Implants are nothing ... bone has no nerves so when they drill into in you don't feel it ... the gum tissue is just numbed up. Then they stitch the skin around the implants and you let the the implant grow to the bone - about 4-6 mos. A long, but so worth it procedure. I know that mini implants are quicker but they tend to break off.
Petra

Hampton, VA

#3223 Jan 9, 2012
Putting the 8 implant in took about 4 hours and I was a little off my game that day so it felt worse than the extractions. The next day I was fine. no pain at all and clicking the dentures in and out is a breeze.
Petra

Hampton, VA

#3224 Jan 9, 2012
Thank you Angel, when I knew that I could not avoid dentures I knew I wanted implants. And reading your previous comments about implants just reinforced that and girl am I glad I got them!!!
ScorpioLady

Forest Hills, NY

#3225 Jan 10, 2012
Petra wrote:
Thank you Angel, when I knew that I could not avoid dentures I knew I wanted implants. And reading your previous comments about implants just reinforced that and girl am I glad I got them!!!
Petra - how glad I am that your journey has proceeded successfully! Congrats! It is just soooooooo expensive. I hope someday it will be a common enough procedure that it will be the primary practice for insurance purposes and general dental health in this area. We can always DREAM. I have one question....Angel says it takes 4-6 months of bone grafting. It doesn't sound like you had any wait time...did you do the instant mini implant procedure? Thanks!
Petra

Hampton, VA

#3226 Jan 10, 2012
ScorpioLady, I had all my teeth pulled on June 10th, got my implants (not mini implants) put in on Aug. 1st and got my final dentures last week Wednesday.
It was quite an experience, one I could have lived without to tell the truth but I had no choice. I must say my dentist and his crew did everything in their power to make the transition as easy as possible. This site was a sanity saver for me. My biggest shock was granny mouth, something I haven't gotten used to still. Yes it cost an arm and a leg but I'm glad I made that investment. But I also think the entire procedure is totally overpriced and health insurance should cover a much bigger chunk.
steve

Madison, WI

#3227 Jan 11, 2012
ScorpioLady wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree with you here Angel. There is absolutely NO GAIN in capitalizing on the negative. The ONLY thing that has kept me going is all of the positive comments and hope that this message board brings to the plate. I am still experiencing a lot of pain and it seems that my dentist cannot hone in on the correct areas of adjustment. But I only received my denture on 12/16 of 2011. I have to have hope that things will become immeasurably better, as I want to live a normal, accomodatable life with what I have been dealt.
I try to concentrate on all of the "success" stories so that I can move forward. It is TOO LATE to lament the loss of my upper teeth. TOO LATE. So no point in going back. I MUST look forward by decree. I am so heartened by the success stories that I imagine one day I will be one. I can't go on without that hope. Simply cannot. So Steve....I hope the journey becomes bearable for YOU. Because I need that. I MUST HAVE IT. I think that your bad breath problem is resolvable. I have to believe. I consider Angel and Sorry brave soldiers in this fight. Because they hate it...but never give up. Sorry makes me laugh and Angel gives me strength. Take heart in that. And hope that we all can move through this process. And emerge as success stories. Somehow. Someway.
Love to all. Hope to all. I will not give up. Yet.
I am looking out for the people on this Dentures Forum who still have healthy teeth. Many people are unnecessarily having ALL their teeth extracted. They don't understand it's almost always better to save as many good teeth as possible. Patients who keep some teeth in each jaw are less likely to suffer from facial collapse that happens to the people who have all their teeth extracted. Partial dentures are always a better option than wearing full dentures.
LMAO

Brandenburg, KY

#3228 Jan 11, 2012
steve wrote:
<quoted text>
I am looking out for the people on this Dentures Forum who still have healthy teeth. Many people are unnecessarily having ALL their teeth extracted. They don't understand it's almost always better to save as many good teeth as possible. Patients who keep some teeth in each jaw are less likely to suffer from facial collapse that happens to the people who have all their teeth extracted. Partial dentures are always a better option than wearing full dentures.
Steve, looks like you have a nose problem, you seem to like to stick it in to other peoples business.
Petra

Hampton, VA

#3229 Jan 11, 2012
Scorpio Lady, when I had my immediate dentures, after all my wounds were healed I put Benzodent into the dentures where I had the worst rubbing and sore spots.Since it is a paste it stayed in place, gave a little cushion and numbed the sore spots at the same time. That helped me out a lot. I learned about Benzodent in this forum ! What also helped me later on when the dentures became a little loose I used seabond especially on my lowers and that had a cushioning effect as well. I liked seabond much better than the powders which in turn are better than the paste. Oh well like everyone else in here I tried it all! Don't give up Scorpio Lady, it will get better !!!!!
carrie

Spokane, WA

#3230 Jan 13, 2012
steve wrote:
<quoted text>

It must be a nice feeling to have great teeth. Congratulations. If I had the opportunity to pick and choose which teeth I could have keep I would have just like most people probably would have. If people want to remove their healthy teeth that IS their agency. Let them make their own choices.
Suzie

Napier, New Zealand

#3231 Jan 13, 2012
Hey all. Let's not make any more references to "Steve's" comments so he'll go away and nobody new coming here will get wound up by him.
steve

Madison, WI

#3232 Jan 14, 2012
Suzie wrote:
Hey all. Let's not make any more references to "Steve's" comments so he'll go away and nobody new coming here will get wound up by him.
Some people reading this forum still have their own teeth. People commenting on this forum are not being truthful about what life is like for people who wear full dentures. I'm trying to prevent others from making a choice they'll end up regretting for the rest of their lives. Full dentures are almost ALWAYS the wrong choice.
ScorpioLady

Forest Hills, NY

#3233 Jan 14, 2012
It has been almost a month since my procedure and I am happy to say that things have improved at least 100%! I feel I owe it to this forum and the support of friends because I could never have conceived of my progress so far. The “sore” spots have been addressed and I am now using fixodent food seal to keep them firmly placed and they also act as a very comfortable cushion. I have been trying to eat as many things as possible and working through the pain. Now that I can truly attempt this, I am finding that I still do not like the palate covering or the way some stringy items, a slice of onion or a skinny french fry are hard to chew....sometimes they get stuck and cause me to choke until I can eliminate the offender! That could be very embarrassing in public, so I will just have to choose menu items wisely.

The other thing I am not liking is the yuckky feeling of food particles stuck behind the plate. Now that I am using the foodseal I realize it does not keep all of the food out. It would be impractical to remove the dentures several times a day, clean them and replace the seal. My dentist says just keep them on all day and clean them after the last meal. However, it is a yuckky feeling to that point! I also find that sometimes food particles remain on the denture that of course you cannot “feel”. So I carry a baby's gum cleaner on me to wipe away any clinging particles after eating. You can get them at the dollar store. I also spray it with breath spray when rubbing across my denture and place a breath strip on my palate after eating.

All in all, I am not happy to be a denture wearer, but I am happy that I am finding a way to deal with the issue and no longer in pain. I no longer use gum numbing medication The painful grinding on my gums when chewing seems to have abated. I can see a light of some kind at the end of this tunnel. I hope it is getting better for everyone else in the first stages of this process as well. Again, thank you forum supporters for all of the help!
Bob379

Phoenix, AZ

#3234 Jan 14, 2012
I read about a Ridge they can put on the back of the Palate area inside if you denture does not have it. It's call a " Post Dam ", they said it will keep the denture suction better and keep stuff out from the back. I don't believe you'll find in on temporaries, at least mine doesn't have one. I put down as something to ask about before I have my permanent set made.

""This is a line running across the palate, seperating the hard and soft palates. This can also sometimes be called the vibrating line. It is usually found between the back of the 2nd molars in the maxilla (upper jaw)and also just infront of the palatine fovea.

It is important in prosthodontics and helps to create a seal which aids in retension of the patients denture. It is important for the denture base to be extended up to the post dam for this to be achieved. But extending it too far and past the post dam can lead to the patients gag reflex being activated. ""
Jessica

Fredericksburg, VA

#3235 Jan 14, 2012
steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people reading this forum still have their own teeth. People commenting on this forum are not being truthful about what life is like for people who wear full dentures. I'm trying to prevent others from making a choice they'll end up regretting for the rest of their lives. Full dentures are almost ALWAYS the wrong choice.
And there are people on this forum, like myself, that had NOOOOOOOO choice then to get a full top denture. My parents couldn't afford to bring me to the dentist when I was a kid. No matter what I did, my teeth kept getting bad over the years. I could have kept my top teeth and had multiple fillings done and had problems YEARS down the line. I decided, and I am 24, to have all my top teeth pulled. I will for the rest of my life have a top denture. It was either keep my teeth and continue to have problems and bad infections that were effecting my health or a denture. Do you think I care what other people think of me? NO I don't. If you have nothing nice to say, stay off the forums, so us that HAVE dentures and are proud of them, can talk to each other.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
free teeth makeover (Jul '08) Sat Luz 475
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) Fri Pat 2,006
Immediate permanents? Aug 17 Sadly distressed 1
Help Aug 17 Sadly distressed 5
Soaking dentures overnight Aug 17 Audrey 14
DrIvan:ASK ME ANYTHING about IMPLANT DENTURES, ... (Jul '15) Aug 15 ashelton0821 75
How do I make my dentist fix my dentures? (Oct '08) Aug 15 John 182
More from around the web