Cheer up New Denture Wearers
ScorpioLady

Forest Hills, NY

#3195 Jan 1, 2012
Angel wrote:
Steve: The name of this forum is CHEER UP NEW DENTURER WEARERS - I have read and reread your posts and still wonder what your point is. We are trying to get past the pitfalls that you keep shoving in our face to read .... It is a very discouraging process for us and to have you keep ticking off the list is just rubbing our faces in it. I do thank you for the link to read .... but I think after that and posting your information you could have stopped there and either offered some information to help someone who is encountering those problems, or stated that those were the problems that you were experiencing and hope that someone's experience could help you. You are going to age, with or without dentures, if you are lucky. Everyone does it differently.
I have to agree with you here Angel. There is absolutely NO GAIN in capitalizing on the negative. The ONLY thing that has kept me going is all of the positive comments and hope that this message board brings to the plate. I am still experiencing a lot of pain and it seems that my dentist cannot hone in on the correct areas of adjustment. But I only received my denture on 12/16 of 2011. I have to have hope that things will become immeasurably better, as I want to live a normal, accomodatable life with what I have been dealt.

I try to concentrate on all of the "success" stories so that I can move forward. It is TOO LATE to lament the loss of my upper teeth. TOO LATE. So no point in going back. I MUST look forward by decree. I am so heartened by the success stories that I imagine one day I will be one. I can't go on without that hope. Simply cannot. So Steve....I hope the journey becomes bearable for YOU. Because I need that. I MUST HAVE IT. I think that your bad breath problem is resolvable. I have to believe. I consider Angel and Sorry brave soldiers in this fight. Because they hate it...but never give up. Sorry makes me laugh and Angel gives me strength. Take heart in that. And hope that we all can move through this process. And emerge as success stories. Somehow. Someway.

Love to all. Hope to all. I will not give up. Yet.
Angel

Santee, CA

#3196 Jan 1, 2012
Scorpio Lady .... you are, definately, a lady. Thank you for your kind words - if I give you strength it is because I am hoping that by YOU succeeding, someday so shall I. That's how it is in every case. We are all smart enough to know that we are not going to die because we have unnatural teeth, but oh, just like any other ailment, we want to overcome it so that we can function in a comfortable, even near, normal state. We mourn what was and what is.
I agree with you - Sorry makes me laugh too ... I'm pretty sure she knows her self-depreciating comments are pretty funny to us, because we all walk in the same da*n pair of shoes ...
Hang in there, Lady ....
steve

Madison, WI

#3197 Jan 1, 2012
Angel & ScorpioLady - There may be people reading these posts who still have their own teeth and are wondering what it's like to be a "new denture wearer." We should all encourage them to find out what happens when they have all their teeth extracted. The good news for new denture wearers is they be good candidates for dental implants which can slow or stop the jawbones from deteriorating.
ScorpioLady - Denture Wearers generally have bad breath. I was not referring to myself. You must not read very well. Let's be respectful towards one another on this forum, or get off of it.
Angel

Santee, CA

#3198 Jan 1, 2012
Steve ... I have implants ... unless you have an implant to replace every single tooth, there is still going to be bone loss .... teeth have roots - and they are much bigger than the small implant screws that are used. The thing is, in most cases, people who wear a denture are facing challenges that doesn't afford them too many options - some people have spent a lifetime fearing dental procedures and lose their teeth from lack of care; for others, it's no insurance, or not enough money to take care of their dental needs; for some, it's not a priority to take care of their teeth - for others it's an accident, or last resort measure ... or in my case - hereitary. Dentists need better regulation. Like doctors. Right now they don't answer to anyone except themselves - a DDS can do anything from cleanings to implants .... they should be like doctors and it be mandatory that anything more than simple tooth removal procedures would require specialized training and more education.

You're right - this forum needs to move on, if a non-denture wearer has read this far, they 'get it'.
steve

Madison, WI

#3199 Jan 1, 2012
Angel - I've also had implants (5) placed in the upper jaw (maxilla). There are various studies but most indicate a few properly placed implants such as mine will stop most of the bone loss that results in facial collapse.
sorry

Saint Marys, OH

#3200 Jan 1, 2012
So, Steve, did you have implants done as soon as you had your extractions? Is that what kept your kept your jaw from collapsing? Although you mention maxillary implants so I'm sure that would have nothing to do with your mandible collapsing. And from what I've read on here, it takes quite a long time for implants to mature and you say the jaw starts collapsing very quickly. How does that work?

Was there no way you could save your teeth?

There's a bad breath thread on here somewhere. Maybe you could find it and share your secret for avoiding bad breath when denture wearers generally have it.

I hope I read all your posts correctly. It would really hurt my feelings if you told me to get off the board.
sorry

Saint Marys, OH

#3201 Jan 1, 2012
ScorpioLady, it sounds like you're doing very well. I have no doubt that you will progress to being a successful denture wearer.

My favorite candy was always malted milk balls, and I got a bag for Christmas. Unfortunately, they were bigger than I remembered, and I popped one of them in my mouth and bit down and my denture went all whopperjawed. The reason I'm telling you this is to point out that perseverence always wins out. I got a hammer and broke them all up and scarfed them down.:)
Bob379

Dallas, TX

#3202 Jan 2, 2012
RE: Cheer up New Denture Wearers

How about if this thread gets back on Topic. Who cares what Steve thinks about Implants. He has been asked 3 times to give it up and it seems he wants to disrupt.

Steve, if you want to talk about your experience, start you own thread. If you'd like to pay for people to have what you have, start a free fund and give away free make overs.
jacquie

Dallas, TX

#3203 Jan 2, 2012
It hurts so bad I can't imagine putting my dentures back in. It makes me cry to even think of putting them in.
jacquie

United States

#3204 Jan 2, 2012
I'm not really sure of anything regarding my new dentures. I have sores everywhere. I got my dentures Thursday. Kept them in like he told me (I have anger issues w my dentist.) Lol. I know it isn't his fault. But everytime I see him I come home in pain...I haven't had any readjustments yet but I can't put them back in my mouth. At all. It just hurts too much.
Bob379

Dallas, TX

#3205 Jan 2, 2012
Call his office and have him prescribe you some " Cora-Caine " Rub some in the denture and on your gums. If not that get some Anbesol from the drug store and do the same.

There is also 2% Lidocaine Viscous is a solution that squirt some in the denture and your mouth to numb it.

A couple Advil twice a day will help for long term.
steve

Madison, WI

#3206 Jan 2, 2012
The posts I've made on this thread have been relevant to new denture wearers. Many new denture wearers don't find out about such things as facial collapse until they have aged a lot. Most people would want to know as soon as possible so they can decide if they want to take corrective action to stop matters from getting worse. If a person is happy wearing conventional dentures, that's certainly okay too! Let's all be respectful towards one another. Peace & Love
jacquie

Plano, TX

#3207 Jan 2, 2012
Bob379 wrote:
Call his office and have him prescribe you some " Cora-Caine " Rub some in the denture and on your gums. If not that get some Anbesol from the drug store and do the same.
There is also 2% Lidocaine Viscous is a solution that squirt some in the denture and your mouth to numb it.
A couple Advil twice a day will help for long term.
Thank you :-) I'm going to call first thing in the morning. I'm still in so much pain. Ugh. My face is swollen. Its affecting my whole life right now.
Angel

Santee, CA

#3208 Jan 2, 2012
Jacquie .... try some iced tea to reduce the swelling and it helps with the healing too. Also, make sure you're doing those saltwater rinses ... it takes time for the trauma swelling to subside ... mostly just try to drink a lot of fluids and take your meds ... unfortunately, most of this is just part of the process of having multiple extractions and putting a denture in immediately .... be nice to yourself .. rest.
jacquie

United States

#3209 Jan 2, 2012
Angel wrote:
Jacquie .... try some iced tea to reduce the swelling and it helps with the healing too. Also, make sure you're doing those saltwater rinses ... it takes time for the trauma swelling to subside ... mostly just try to drink a lot of fluids and take your meds ... unfortunately, most of this is just part of the process of having multiple extractions and putting a denture in immediately .... be nice to yourself .. rest.
Thank you angel. Its just so heartbreaking. The bone spurs. The sores. The meds make me sick to my stomach. Its so helpful though to have y'all here. Thank you. Its so much thinking you're all alone in this. Why doesn't the dentists office have a pamphlet? Lol I'm in tears right now! I was so ready to be able to smile and eat again. This has been a lifetime for me. Its taken since feb 2011 to get to now and I still can't wear them. So sad.
Andrew

Taylorville, IL

#3210 Jan 3, 2012
Jacquie, if it's been 10 months and you are still in unbearable pain, there is something else going on besides your new teeth not fitting correctly!!! This is my opinion and my opinion only. Go to a different dentist. I am suggesting that you go to an ASPEN DENTAL office and get things checked out. They are the best at what they do. My experience with them has been fantastic!!!!!!! If the dentist you are seeing can't get things figured out then it's time for a change! There is no way in h&!! you should be hurting this much! Please give this some serious thought! Something just ain't right!!!!!!!

Take care,
Andrew

PS / Wet a tea bag and put it on your gums then bite down ever so slightly to hold it in place. See if this helps a bit!
jacquie

Dallas, TX

#3211 Jan 3, 2012
Andrew wrote:
Jacquie, if it's been 10 months and you are still in unbearable pain, there is something else going on besides your new teeth not fitting correctly!!! This is my opinion and my opinion only. Go to a different dentist. I am suggesting that you go to an ASPEN DENTAL office and get things checked out. They are the best at what they do. My experience with them has been fantastic!!!!!!! If the dentist you are seeing can't get things figured out then it's time for a change! There is no way in h&!! you should be hurting this much! Please give this some serious thought! Something just ain't right!!!!!!!
Take care,
Andrew
PS / Wet a tea bag and put it on your gums then bite down ever so slightly to hold it in place. See if this helps a bit!
:-D
Andrew sounds almost as upset as me.
But no. I just got my dentures this past Thursday. Dec 29th. But I've been having my extractions done like 3 and 4 teeth at a time since feb. Its been a really long process. I've been reading on here like how people got like 19 teeeth pulled at one time! I'm like, how come it took me such a long time? But whatever. They're out now. Forever later.
I feel decent this morning though. I just woke up. Maybe my gums haven't realized I'm awake yet. Lol.
I haven't heard of aspen dental. I live in Detroit.
But thank you :-) angel suggested iced tea yesterday... and bob mentioned a scrip from the dentist... I'm about to shower and then go up to the dentists and throw a tantrum.
ScorpioLady

Forest Hills, NY

#3212 Jan 3, 2012
steve wrote:
Angel & ScorpioLady - There may be people reading these posts who still have their own teeth and are wondering what it's like to be a "new denture wearer." We should all encourage them to find out what happens when they have all their teeth extracted. The good news for new denture wearers is they be good candidates for dental implants which can slow or stop the jawbones from deteriorating.
ScorpioLady - Denture Wearers generally have bad breath. I was not referring to myself. You must not read very well. Let's be respectful towards one another on this forum, or get off of it.
Well. I thought the last part was a bit of uncharitable from pal Steve....be respectful or get off the board? Wow. I never imagined anything I wrote was "disrespectful" enough to warrant leaving the board!!!

I thought your implication that bad breath goes with dentures alluded to a personal problem. I don't seem to have THAT problem yet...maybe I should just wait? I scrub and clean them meticulously....but maybe that is something that will rear its head in time. I think anyone reading these threads who DOESN'T need dentures and is just whiling away their time in case of....well, you have definitely educated them Steve! I wish such a thing existed back when I still had all my healthy teeth, but it just didn't seem important then. If only I knew!

As to my reading ability...well. LOL. I guess I just haven't learned to read MESSAGE Boards very well. Good Luck, Steve, you lucky fellow. I hope one day to be as well read and as accomplished as you!!
Angel

Santee, CA

#3213 Jan 3, 2012
Scorpio Lady ... don't worry about "Steve" ... he's what is referred to as a 'lurker'.... he is posting for whatever agenda he has ... who knows, maybe he's a dentist drumming up business for implants .... And don't worry about the breath thing - if your denture is clean, bacteria is under control ... No one is 'the president' of a blog like this and can ask anyone to leave it. Just post what you want, when you want ....those that can actually offer you some help will ....
ventilatte

Lakeland, FL

#3214 Jan 3, 2012
Every forum has its set of trolls, if you ignore them they generally wander elsewhere looking for the attention mommy and daddy never gave them.:)

Anyway, I'm on Day 15, and I finally get to go back to the dentist tomorrow for my first adjustment. But what a difference between today and the first week! My speech is back to normal, I can sleep great, and I'm getting into the habit of smiling more often than I ever have in my life. I still hate taking my denture out, but I rinse it after each meal while I brush my bottom teeth, and soak it each day while I'm in the shower.

I'm a little impatient with the chewing problem though. I love cooking and definitely haven't lacked for soft foods to eat (my favorite combo being spicy turkey meatloaf with mashed cauliflower!) but there's a lot of stuff I'm missing! I tried biting down on a cooked carrot tonight and couldn't. The only time during all this that I've felt any pain is when I do try and chew something...the pressure on my upper gum is uncomfortable then, and I feel the plate moving. I honestly can't tell whether it's the healing that causes the discomfort during chewing or whether my plate being slightly too large is the culprit!

Hoping to get a soft reline tomorrow, but I also do fear my bite is off with the temp plate and I'm anxious about tomorrow and how my dentist will address my concerns. I'm also really anxious for the go-ahead from him to use adhesive freely, which I think will set my mind at ease during my long work shifts!

Hope everyone's 2012 is off to a decent start!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Over Denture or Implant Supported Denture (Nov '09) 6 hr BookNut 92
Depressed because of my dentures (Oct '14) 8 hr BookNut 64
Full Dentures are the WRONG CHOICE!!! (Feb '12) Jul 24 Ihazteef 494
Mouth Sores (Feb '12) Jul 23 Mindy 55
News New Aspen Dental Office Opening in Poinciana Ma... Jul 22 CAPCAPCAB 1
Overbite (Jun '11) Jul 21 Mah 23
Hybridge Dental Implants (Jul '12) Jul 20 WeetieMutt 185
More from around the web