Angel

El Cajon, CA

#3155 Dec 15, 2011
Wow, Grannybev .... here we pay thousands to be uncomfortable! ;)
What the

Auckland, New Zealand

#3156 Dec 16, 2011
Angel wrote:
Scorpio Lady .... here is a link to a forum that deals with sex and dentures: http://www.topix.com/forum/health/dentures/TV...
It's been my experience that this is not a comfortable subject for the majority of people - most people just want to learn to EAT first ;)
My sentiments exactly, Angel. That's why I said What the...? and Is She Kidding.
ScorpioLady

Flushing, NY

#3157 Dec 16, 2011
Angel wrote:
Scorpio Lady .... here is a link to a forum that deals with sex and dentures: http://www.topix.com/forum/health/dentures/TV...
It's been my experience that this is not a comfortable subject for the majority of people - most people just want to learn to EAT first ;)
I do appreciate your kind response Angel. It does seem ridiculous to hone in on sexual matters with so much of everyday living with dentures and the adjustment primary. I guess I know that hopefully one day those issues will become livable and then you have to return to life. But truth to tell, I am a nervous wreck about the whole transition and a part of me wants to be able to imagine my life beyond the pain and adjustment. A normal life with normal concerns. But I am totally freaked out about the change to me as a woman. I will never mention the s word again. It sounds shallow and ridiculous and I apologize.

Since: Dec 11

Australia

#3158 Dec 16, 2011
Angel, I too have previously spent the thousands of dollars for dentures, by replacing them every 10 years while I was working. It's just that this time, I'm an aged pensioner and they cut the waiting time from 8 years to 4 and a half years for the free dentures, because I had to have my front lower teeth removed.
ScorpioLady

Flushing, NY

#3159 Dec 16, 2011
I am home now from the procedure. My new teeth are beautiful and a great, realistic match for the remaining teeth in my mouth. The procedure was bearable and I was able to stay relatively calm.

I am under the influence of vicodin and feeling quite woozy but I want to take this opportunity to thank the great people who share their experiences on this forum. The support, information and understanding are phenomenal.

I was much better prepared for the procedure of the tooth extraction this go round. I took an anti-depressant an hour before (a hint I got from this forum) and was armed with my bottle of pain killer. I just decided to buckle down and take it, as there really was no going back.

I was surprised that everything was quite bearable. Fitting the denture on my swollen gums was quite painful where it hit a couple of sore or irregular sites but that was clearly to be expected.

I am looking forward to customizing these dentures for a decent fit as my mouth changes and I am overjoyed that the integrity of my face shape seems to have been preserved perfectly.

I know it will be awhile before real eating is possible, but I don't care. I am determined to make this work and as we all know, the upside is that we get to lose any extraneous poundage! Even though I don't have a real weight problem.

I thank everyone who shares their experiences for helping me through phase one. Thanks thanks and more thanks!!
sorry

Lima, OH

#3160 Dec 19, 2011
JesseY wrote:
I've had extractions done on my top & bottom. Going back to make my first impressions near the end of this month. The dentist has left my two upper canines & one abutting tooth on top. The canines are in very good condition. Per his advice- he is planning to remove all my upper teeth for a full upper denture @ some point. I'll have a bottom partial, too. Thankfully, 9 of my bottom teeth in the very front are good.
At some point- I think I'll do more research & try to do the "all on 4" procedure.
After reading some of the comments here- I'm concerned & wonder if I should keep the good teeth on top I have remaining ? Just looking for a general consensus & thanks in advance.
If there is any way to keep any teeth, do it. Get other opinions from other dentists. It will be well worth it.
ventilatte

Lakeland, FL

#3161 Dec 22, 2011
Hi folks, I hope I can get some input here;

I'm at the end of day 4 of my new immediate upper denture after 16 extractions (bottom teeth are still mine). My problem is I HATE removing the denture. The feeling is so horrible to me...I feel like my tongue moves around on its own and the roof of my mouth is a shredded mess, there are bits of sutures everywhere, I constantly drool saliva...I really hate it.

With the denture in I feel great. I haven't had any pain, haven't needed the RX they sent me home with, although I HAVE been taking the antibiotic. Swelling was bad on day 3 but lessened today. The only discomfort I have is a slight soreness that starts when I remove the plate.

My dentist told me to start taking the denture out to soak starting on my second night...but I haven't been able to do that yet. So far I've been taking it out a few times a day for about 15 minutes at a time while I do saltwater rinses. Tonight I kept it out for two hours which was the most I could stand before I put it back in. I feel like I can't even so much as sip water without it, but I'm so scared to sleep without it.

The fit of my denture is fine, it feels a little looser today than it did on day 2. Ordinarily I'd have my follow up appointment for a possible soft reline next week, but due to the holidays I have to wait until January 4th.

I guess I just want to know if anyone else kept their upper denture in almost constantly at first? I don't want to cause any problems for my healing, but it's just literally so horrible for me without it in. I'm trying to keep it out more and more each night as I get braver, I know my gums need to rest, tomorrow I might get it up to three hours, but I don't think I could ever sleep without them, at least not until things have healed fully.
Bob379

Noblesville, IN

#3162 Dec 23, 2011
ventilatte wrote:
Hi folks, I hope I can get some input here;
I'm at the end of day 4 of my new immediate upper denture after 16 extractions (bottom teeth are still mine). My problem is I HATE removing the denture. The feeling is so horrible to me...I feel like my tongue moves around on its own and the roof of my mouth is a shredded mess, there are bits of sutures everywhere, I constantly drool saliva...I really hate it.
With the denture in I feel great. I haven't had any pain, haven't needed the RX they sent me home with, although I HAVE been taking the antibiotic. Swelling was bad on day 3 but lessened today. The only discomfort I have is a slight soreness that starts when I remove the plate.
My dentist told me to start taking the denture out to soak starting on my second night...but I haven't been able to do that yet. So far I've been taking it out a few times a day for about 15 minutes at a time while I do saltwater rinses. Tonight I kept it out for two hours which was the most I could stand before I put it back in. I feel like I can't even so much as sip water without it, but I'm so scared to sleep without it.
The fit of my denture is fine, it feels a little looser today than it did on day 2. Ordinarily I'd have my follow up appointment for a possible soft reline next week, but due to the holidays I have to wait until January 4th.
I guess I just want to know if anyone else kept their upper denture in almost constantly at first? I don't want to cause any problems for my healing, but it's just literally so horrible for me without it in. I'm trying to keep it out more and more each night as I get braver, I know my gums need to rest, tomorrow I might get it up to three hours, but I don't think I could ever sleep without them, at least not until things have healed fully.
I am on week 7 of a full upper extraction and have never had mine out for more than 10 minutes at a time. My instructions came with the statement, if you feel comfortable with the in, it's fine. All my extraction sites are just about filled over now and I have had a couple soft re-lines. It's just a time thing now.
patrice

San Diego, CA

#3163 Dec 23, 2011
It's been eleven months since I started this journey...and like all good journeys there are highs and lows, but along the way you "meet" some interesting folk.
Thanks for all the advice, some cheering. Angel has BEEN an angel to so many. "Sorry"...we are still in the same boat for now. All we have to do is watch out for more leaks.
Merry Christmas to all and may 2012 be a great year for all "here".
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#3164 Dec 23, 2011
Yes, this certainly has been a year of ups and downs for this group ..... but as I look back I can see that about 99% of the people who post have moved on and, I assume, adjusted to their denture. And that is so awesome. For those who don't - it is just our cross to bear. We will just keep on truckin'....
My bridge did give way and has fractured - at this point I have elected to wait and see what happens in the future - if it breaks all the way thru there is the option of removing the broken part of the bridge, adding another post and butting up against it another 3 tooth bridge. For now my emothiona side just won't address that ... it's my breaking point. So, as long as it is comfortable and working I am taking the wait and see stance.
ventilatte --- my advice, for what it is worth is to wear your denture as much as you want .... take it out a lot right now to clean it and salt rinse, but as long as your mouth is clean I don't think it matters whether you sleep in it or not. If you read this forum, every dentist has had a different opinion on that and everyone seems to survive just fine. Cleanliness is the key. And I just have to say that I think it is absolutely terrific that your brain has wrapped around the acceptance and that you are so thrilled. Go for it.

Sorry and Patrice & Bob ....... Since we all seem to share the commonality of 'dentures suck'.... hmmm, Merry Christmas and may our next year be ours!
ventilatte

Lakeland, FL

#3165 Dec 23, 2011
Thank you so much for the replies! I am trying to take it out more often during the day to let my wounds get some air, but now I don't feel so bad if I don't sleep in it.

Angel; I'm not necessarily thrilled yet, it's hard to be HAPPY about being in this position at 30. I just feel so much worse without the plate in, somehow. I've read posts by folks who are chewing meat on their first week...I can't even chew noodles yet! My plate doesn't feel 'tight' enough to allow me to bite down or grind any food yet. If I press up on the plate to try and get a better seal, I get a wave of soreness and an ooze of saliva, ugh. The denture teeth don't seem to perfectly line up for a natural bite to me, but my dentist swore they're perfect. I'm hoping I can get a soft reline or adjustment at my Jan appointment...really wish it was sooner. I'm going on vacation in the middle of January and I can't imagine being able to chew much by then...who wants to eat soft voods on a vacation?! Not me!

Has anyone else had issues with really bad breath their first week? I do the salt rinses, clean my dentures, brush my bottom teeth and tongue, and use mouthwash, but my breath is still so much worse than it's ever been in my life. I don't know if it's from the healing sores or the oozing saliva or what. My hubby has been amazingly supportive throughout all this and thinks my new teeth look beautiful, but I'm afraid to even kiss him now with this horrible breath issue.
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#3166 Dec 23, 2011
Venti .... it's the blood that is still oozing ... and it will until after the stitches are out and then maybe for a few more days - I have read over and over where drinking iced tea helps to heal and sooth ... wouldn't hurt to try. All you can do is try to keep your mouth ultra clean. I just need to say that it doesn't matter if you are 30 or 60 all of the emotios are the same. Except that younger people do seem to adapt more quickly. You are not far into this - it is definetly a matter of time to heal, adjust, adjustments and a huge new learning curve. My family was supportive too - but I expected no less - it wouldn't matter to me if my husband had to go through this either. It is what it is. Your dentist does not have your teeth in his mouth - if they don't feel right to you then they aren't right - don't worry to much about going on vacation with them - at that point you will be able to sprinkle some powder on the top and it will hold fast, you will be way less sore and you will probably manage some foods just fine - albeit you may not be able to bite into sandwiches or grind up salads .... give yourself a break - keep your mouth clean, eat what you can, and let nature heal your wounds .... and go back to your dentist for any sore or uncomfortable situation - it's his job to help you after the purchase as well ..... Oh, and kiss your husband - he probably need it more than you do ;)
ScorpioLady

Flushing, NY

#3167 Dec 23, 2011
I do so appreciate the comments...I said after embarassing myself with the attraction issue I would never return to the site - thanks Angel for your compassion and tact....of course the issue for all of us is Quality of Life. I am only able to accept this new phase because of all of the experiences I read about on this site. I healed very quickly according to my dentist...but the sore spots were so severe that I wept whenever I had to place the dentures in my mouth. I kept reading that gum tissues need to "breathe", so I was happy to comply and keep them OUT, dutifully salt rinsing, etc. I had purchased a uv/sonic denture cleaner well in advance so that I could quickly sterilize my dentures and keep them clean without long soaks. I anticipated keeping my dentures in for the night and other long periods of time. NOT. Of course, I could barely stand the dentures for 3 minutes. And I found I cannot talk well AT ALL without top teeth in my mouth.

The bottom line is that since my procedure on 12/16, I have had about 3 "adjustments" and finally with healing and reshaping the dentures are just now bearable to place in my mouth. I requested an ointment to speed the healing of my sore spots and a super analgesic because even the liberal application of benzocaine ointment was not helping! I could not bear to place the dentures in my mouth. My dentist also lined the upper part with fixodent (away from the new extraction site)which helped decrease the movement when speaking and attempting to eat. So now I am adding that to the denture repetoire.

Actually, I could not "eat" with them in at all until last night. I had been eating hot cereal and soup, but NO chewing allowed.

With the adjustments, the healing, medication and the fixodent paste it has made a world of difference. I still cannot eat comfortably with the dentures in. My first try was last night. However, I worked myself through a meatball hero because my dentist said I must attempt to eat with them in order to help with the fitting and adjustment process.

I have numerous bony ridges that were being chafed with every breath. I just could not comprehend this physiological discovery. It seems that my mouth is one big bony mountaintop. I am NOW able to bear wearing my dentures but still feel very funny talking with them. I feel that people are saying what is WRONG WITH THIS WOMAN??? But her TEETH look nice! LOL. I hope that all of this adjustment will be a bad, bad memory a year from now. I thank god I lost my job in October now. It means I can re-learn how to talk and eat by the time I get a job interview, God willing. And no co-workers to mock my progress.

God Bless you all and I truly wish for recovery and relief for everyone going through this process through the holidays! Please stay in there. Someday they will discover how to make this a less painful process - even if you cannot afford implants!
Happy Holidays!
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#3168 Dec 23, 2011
ScorpioLady ... here is a virtual hug. You are so new into the Denture Venture - please try to be a bit kinder to yourself as you would be to anyone else. If you worked your way through a meatball hero this soon, I think you're heading in the direction of a success story. And you will have great looking teeth as a bonus. Speaking without the denture lisp takes time - you might notice that your speech becomes more laboured at night - that's because your jaws are tired ... and so are you from concentrating ... try just talking out loud all day to yourself ... and try singing your sentences .... say Sally sells seashells at the seashore a million times a day ... say this, that, there,then, theses .... so sew this thing ... just keep saying over and over things that make you lisp .... chew some Freedent gum while you are home ... it is good chewing practice and it also helps train your tongue to speak more normally. I can't believe a person with your communication skills is out of work ... it's a pleasure to read your well-written posts ... Merry Christmas! ;)
ScorpioLady

Flushing, NY

#3169 Dec 23, 2011
As usual Angel, your halo is shining bright and pure. You are so very kind. I appreciate what you say about not being hard on yourself....sometimes though it is difficult!

I could make this missive very long describing the hilarious process of cutting and chewing that smushy meatball hero with stringy cheese....surely a sight one with imagination can envision! As we all know - HUNGER is a powerful motivator! But, as you say, we have no choice but to go forward and I am truly trying to be a brave and valiant soldier. I will take your speech suggestions to heart, as really, I am supposed to begin classes to get certification to teach Adult Education courses in January. Just around the ol' corner. This should honestly be a test of mind over matter!

Thank you so much for the regards in terms of a job - you know how it is...my generation was well educated, hardworking - apparently that is no longer a bonus in obtaining employment over 21....this new bump in the road notwithstanding!

Merry Xmas to you also, and my sincerest wishes that this process becomes easier for you as well!
sorry

Lima, OH

#3170 Dec 24, 2011
I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and/or happy whatever holiday applies.

Patrice, we are indeed still in the same boat, and, frankly, there have been times I haven't cared if it capsizes.:)

Angel, I know how disappointed you must be. I always thought with implants an entire denture attaches to them, but your post seems to indicate they're separate bridges. Maybe you could explain it to a dolt like me. I'm not worried about you though, because I know when the time comes for you to do something about it, you'll "gird your loins" and get right on it, the same way you always deal with things.

I'm not sure about the 99% adjusting and moving on though. Maybe adjusting, but maybe just resigning themselves to living with them. For me, I'm just so sick of this freaking denture and don't have another thing to say about it. I'm also sick of reading about people who stop at buffets on the way home from their extractions and how beautiful people's dentures are and how happy they are with them. How's that for a bah humbug? bwahahahahaha
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#3171 Dec 24, 2011
Sorry .... Merry Christmas right back at you ...!

It is ONE bridge supported by 4 implant (2 front, 2 back)... mine has fractured btw a front and back implant. So, when it BREAKS all the way through, they are going to cut it off where it broke - install another implant and replace that part of the bridge that they cut off with a separate bridge that will attach to the existing inplant in the back and the new one right in front of it.

I actually am glad to hear that you have resigned your self to wearing the denture - that's better than when you wouldn't even wear it ... Yep, this is pure crap. I too wish I could talk about how easy this process has been - but .... it's just been a never-ending hell. I am just grateful that I am not having to try to adjust to any other type of prothesis because I would probably blow my brains out ... ;)

Merry Christmas everyone ... eat some toffee for me ....(can't eat hard candy either ...)
Andrew

Norfolk, NE

#3172 Dec 24, 2011
Well now boys and girls, how you all been? I'm at 7 weeks now with the full upper and lower. Everything is cool so far except for trying ta keep the lower's from coming out. I've tried everything so far and the powder seems to work the best but after a while even it breaks loose! There has got to be a way to keep them things nailed down!!! My god, we are too far advanced in this world to not have a way to do this! Something new too........when I have them in after a bit I get a cotton mouth from hell! This ain't gonna cut it either! Any other suggestions that you may have? I'm open for anything!!!!!!

See Ya,
Andrew
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#3173 Dec 24, 2011
Andrew ..... hopefully you can get a couple of implants to snap them down on??? Other than that, I haven't a clue ... I think lowers must be pretty tricky .... most people that have both upper and lowers seem to have more trouble with those ...

Maybe someone who has one can tell you whether it's a matter of 'fit' or glue ...
sorry

Lima, OH

#3174 Dec 24, 2011
Angel wrote:
Sorry .... Merry Christmas right back at you ...!
It is ONE bridge supported by 4 implant (2 front, 2 back)... mine has fractured btw a front and back implant. So, when it BREAKS all the way through, they are going to cut it off where it broke - install another implant and replace that part of the bridge that they cut off with a separate bridge that will attach to the existing inplant in the back and the new one right in front of it.
I actually am glad to hear that you have resigned your self to wearing the denture - that's better than when you wouldn't even wear it ... Yep, this is pure crap. I too wish I could talk about how easy this process has been - but .... it's just been a never-ending hell. I am just grateful that I am not having to try to adjust to any other type of prothesis because I would probably blow my brains out ... ;)
Merry Christmas everyone ... eat some toffee for me ....(can't eat hard candy either ...)
Still don't get it.:)

Here's the thing. My sister had a heart attack and had to have a stent, and I call to check on her a couple of times a day, which requires the denture to talk halfway decent. Putting it in first thing and leaving it in until I talk to her the last time. If it weren't for that, it would still be in its little condo in the bathroom. It's been a helluva year.

One of my cats is sick, and she's a terror at the vet. As a matter of fact, there's a new tech in the office and she had to leave the room because she's not listed on their liability insurance yet. I find myself wishing that the cat needed a denture so I could take her to my first dentist. I'd enjoy pulling her off his head.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to kiss? (Apr '12) 18 hr Jamesphllps4 4
I love my dentures (Jul '09) 20 hr Nomoreteeth 52
Pyschological effects of wearing full dentures Sat Steve 14
facial collapse (Feb '12) Sat Steve 62
Considering Full Dentures??? (Jan '13) Sat Steve 53
Full Dentures are the WRONG CHOICE!!! (Feb '12) Sat Steve 402
Making the decision Sat Steve 3
Denture Adhesives and Useful Tips for New Wearers (Feb '12) Jan 22 BarbB 741
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) Jan 22 Think6 1,300
More from around the web