scared, getting full new top denture ...
Bob379

Brandenburg, KY

#142 Jun 20, 2012
SandySmiles wrote:
Yea, talking is difficult for me too. For me it is the A Line area. All the Sh, Ch, Ka, Ga, Mo, Or, sounds. Anything where the back of the tongue touches the top denture in the back. I am very sensitive to any space restriction in that area. I sound horrible and it makes me gag. That and I have to remember not to mumble. So, I just keep practicing and gagging.
And it is getting worse as the days go by. Most of the problem is from the gums dropping in the front. As I make the upper comfortable in the front by pushing it up the edge of the back drops (think the other side of the teeter-totter). I can talk better when I flatten the back, which drops the front which looks awful.
Since I am only 3 weeks since the extractions I am hoping that this situation improves as time goes by, with adjustments, etc.
We tried a soft reline but it dropped the whole denture down, looked awful, and restricted the space in the A Line area way too much. So now I am using Cushion Grip. Helps some but I still sound Drunk.:-)
Once they re-line the whole denture it will drop down to far. The only thing you can do is to remove some of the soft re-line material with a knife or scalpel from the palate. Once you remove it then you have to use the cushion grip around the edges of the palate area so you get a good seal. The more time it's re-lined the worse it will get, unless some is removed.

They usually get ticked off when you tell them how to do it. It only makes sense that your gums are shrinking, not the palate, yet they load the whole thing with liner instead of just putting it in the gum line.
Bob379

Brandenburg, KY

#143 Jun 20, 2012
Truthfully, my dentist charges $205.00 per plate to make a Economy Denture. I'd would have been much happier and money ahead if I'd of had him make a new upper after about a 1-2 months rather than going back and forth and fooling with it. The temporary denture is only a guess on what is going to happen to your mouth after the teeth are extracted.
Katie

Pensacola, FL

#144 Jun 21, 2012
I had all my teeth removed on June 18th and i have a full top denture, but when i wear it i have a lot of spit. My adjustments seem fine, i just like i will never be able to wear a denture but i can't go bare mouth. Can anyone help me with this, i love the new look.
Angel

Santee, CA

#145 Jun 21, 2012
Katie ... your mouth thinks it has food in it ... suck on some hard candy ... after a day or two it will trick your brain to stop producing saliva unless real food is in it.

Since: Jun 12

Attleboro, MA

#146 Jun 27, 2012
Hi everyone, been learning a lot from these post. I am 24 hours post surgery with upper dentures, pain isn't bad it's the swelling that's driving me nuts. Dentist just called in a prescription for a steroid to help with the swelling. I had immediate dentures put in, so i can't take them out for a few days (what a nasty taste in my mouth). lol

Since: Jun 12

Attleboro, MA

#147 Jun 27, 2012
I had a great dentist, who did proper measurements, my new teeth look so real and fit my face well, and I am told I need to wait about 8 months for the permanant dentures. I hear horror stories about cheeks caving in (I don't want to look like my dad did with dentures). anyone out there have dentures for years? I'd like to know what to expect as far as facial features.
pain

United States

#148 Jul 19, 2012
Literally just left the dentist office. I'm in so Mich pain. I only had a upper denture done will this horse face feeling ever go away?
Debbie

Concord, NC

#149 Jul 25, 2012
Yes it will your mouth is swell now but time it will look like your teeth.How are you getting alone now
danni

Leeds, UK

#150 Aug 8, 2012
just got all my top teeth out and dentures in and am sooooo depressed, am 39, help
Debbie

Concord, NC

#151 Aug 8, 2012
Dani,I know how you feel,I had mine in March,but it was get better i promise you that.Just think how much better you look.I am still trying to adjust but its alot better than it was.What helped me alot is to talk about it on here.Everyone on here is very supported. Feel free to talk anytime,you may have alot of question if so just ask,someone will answer you.It life changing thing.Just talk it will help you,i know it help me.
lori

Market Drayton, UK

#152 Sep 4, 2012
hi folks just thought i wud check in, been ages since ive been on here.
would just like to tell everyone who is new and worried like i was wen i first posted on here there is light at the end of the tunnel.
im doing great now, no pain, can eat anything i want now and have a mega bite again now. its not perfect but sooo much better and has been for a while. only snag i have these days is, sugar sherbet, absolute pain when a grain gets under pallet. chocolate is hard to bite after been in the fridge and i cant snap cellotape with my teeth, although i couldnt do that when i got my crowns in either so no loss there.
Sue

Canton, OH

#153 Sep 4, 2012
I small so grateful I found this place. I am only 38 and I am getting all of my lower teeth extracted this Friday and an immediate denture. I have to get upper in about 6 months. I am so depressed about this and my anxiety is keeping me up at night. I am wondering so many things...one of which is how long should I be off of work? I am a manager and hold meetings, talk all day with people face to face and on the phone. Any ideas? Also, how long before I will be able to eat again? I have several loose front bottoms, so I have barely been eating for 2 weeks already. Thanks for any insight :)
jock

North Shields, UK

#154 Oct 1, 2012
tip denture this friday ....shitting myself
Anne

Upminster, UK

#155 Nov 7, 2012
I had all my top teeth out and a full denture fitted on Saturday 3rd Nov 12, under sedation as i have a phobia of dentists i always have sedation.
I slept from 3pm till 9pm then got up for two hours took painkillers and went back to bed, slept till 8.30am, did not cope well with it all on Sunday, emotionally i was a wreck and was even frightened to look in the mirror for hours. By Sunday evening i felt a bit calmer but very very uncomfortable. I work in a hospital and was on shift on Monday so i decided to go in and i am glad i did, although in pain and discomfort, everyone assured me they looked good which boosted my confidence. Having problems eating and wake up in the night with the discomfort but i am going to persevere.
brandi

Harlan, KY

#156 Jan 9, 2013
tonja wrote:
I just wanted to say Thank you all for your advice and suggestions to help me get through this rough transition. It's really cool to read posts, and to know that I'm not going thru this alone. I don't think you guys know how much this forum has helped me. LORI you're the best! I'm in week 3, and finally eating, fixodent is a lifesaver...lol and it was all worth it. I know I'm a little out of the loop, because I only have a partial with 7 teeth on it, but we still have a connection.
THANKS SOOO MUCH!
I'm getting a partial in a few weeks on top, one front tooth and 4 back. I'm getting it soon as I have the front tooth extracted, very scared its gonna hurt. Then I'm really scared about the big hunk of plastic in my mouth and that I wont eat right and my food wont taste right. If you have any soothing. Response please let me know. I'm very badly depressed over this.
trish

Fairfax, VA

#157 Jan 20, 2013
Hi everyone. I need help or advice. I just turned 31. I am calling my dentist.Mon and telling him I've had enough and Im broke. I want top dentures. I have spent 30000 over the years. Two top bridges...root canals...repairs on root canals...my bridges have had to have 2nd root canals...its been hell and expensive. I've lost 1 bridge already. So i am depressed i refuse to smile. My other bridge is so uncomfortable and i keep telling dentist and they say they dont see anything. But i know Im in pain and Im done just done!. What i want is advice. Im scared i will regret doing this. I.mean i only have 7 or 8 teeth on top. I just feel anxious. The pain...will i look crazy...will i be able to eat. I just dont want to live depressed not smiling and in pain and broke. So i figured top dentures r the way to go?. My bottom teeth r fine thank god. Any advice...please....
Andreab969

Springfield, NJ

#158 May 25, 2013
Debbie wrote:
Well the day is here,half of me says don't do this and the other half it got to be done. I guess i am so scare of the unknown.I think will i have big teeth and look like a freak.will be in so much pain that i can't bare.i got to be there at eight this morning and at least i don't have too much time to think about it.i wish i was going to be put to sleep, i would feel so much better but my ins.will not pay for that.i wish i could read or wattch tv anything to get my mind off it while he is doing it.i thought about taking some pain pills to make me sleepy but i am scared it would react with what he give me.please whoever read this think about me or pray for me that i will go though this fine.i will post something later if i am able and make it.thank you guy for what you have done so far.
YOUR DAY HAS COME AND GONE! How did it go? Feeling better? I hope you will update us! I pray unare happy w results🙏
Preston

Baulkham Hills, Australia

#159 Sep 5, 2013
lori wrote:
hi folks just thought i wud check in, been ages since ive been on here.
would just like to tell everyone who is new and worried like i was wen i first posted on here there is light at the end of the tunnel.
im doing great now, no pain, can eat anything i want now and have a mega bite again now. its not perfect but sooo much better and has been for a while. only snag i have these days is, sugar sherbet, absolute pain when a grain gets under pallet. chocolate is hard to bite after been in the fridge and i cant snap cellotape with my teeth, although i couldnt do that when i got my crowns in either so no loss there.
Hi Lori are you still on this site? It's been a year now how u getting on?
Mz T

Fort Wayne, IN

#160 Sep 5, 2013
I will be getting full dentures on 9/11/2013. WOW I more nervous about the after affect because I have a low tolerance. Will be knocked out but I don't want to get up saying OMG! Im 55 years old and had a fear of dentist. Im doing different with my sons because I don't want them to go through it. Wish me luck! God is! Im taking a blood thinner right now and was told to stop til after. Lord please don't let me blood too much. Thirteen teeth being pulled, WOW. I know God got me I got a 13 year old to see me smile again. God Bless
Preston

Sydney, Australia

#161 Sep 6, 2013
Mz T wrote:
I will be getting full dentures on 9/11/2013. WOW I more nervous about the after affect because I have a low tolerance. Will be knocked out but I don't want to get up saying OMG! Im 55 years old and had a fear of dentist. Im doing different with my sons because I don't want them to go through it. Wish me luck! God is! Im taking a blood thinner right now and was told to stop til after. Lord please don't let me blood too much. Thirteen teeth being pulled, WOW. I know God got me I got a 13 year old to see me smile again. God Bless
Please let me know how you go I'm having 10 surgically removed

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Learning to eat with dentures (Jun '09) 9 hr metermaid12 1,345
Denture Adhesives and Useful Tips for New Wearers (Feb '12) 21 hr karen webster 914
Cheer up New Denture Wearers (Sep '08) Fri Grateful1978 5,772
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) Fri Stampndiva 1,816
Over Denture or Implant Supported Denture (Nov '09) Fri Cathy 78
E-Day in 25 days with immediate dentures upper ... Fri karen webster 4
Long road ahead implants May 26 Lild 1
More from around the web