Posted in the Dentures Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
lori

Inverness, UK

#1 Jan 30, 2012
sedation at 12noon tomoro.
8 teeth coming out and replacing a partial denture with a full one. scared about the visit. scared about the weeks after.
stocked up on cocodamol and ibrufen.
got plenty of soup, straws, icecream, rice pudding and noodles.
Whats the dentist visit going to be like? I hope he gives me enough sedation!
how bad am i going to be after?
will i be able to eat and drink?
will i be able to talk?
I do smoke and yes i know its one of worst things i can do, but if you smoke yourself then you will know, telling a smoker who is terrified and in pain not to smoke is probably like telling a non smoker not to breath!
Bob379

Vista, CA

#2 Jan 30, 2012
Lori, if you take a piece of Duct Tape and put a hole in it and have it ready you can stick the cigarette through if and stick it to your numb lips and be able to smoke. I did wait till I got the car door shut to fire up, but my lips were to numb to hold it. If I'd of had the Duct Tape ready, I'd of been good to go.....lol

Really , I did smoke, but you really have to take a slow drag for a few days or two, even with dentures you can get a Dry Socket and they are major painful.
lori

Inverness, UK

#3 Jan 30, 2012
oh wow duct tape!!!!! i love it!
thank u for making me laugh at this time!
yeh i no about dry socket, learnt the hard way and very scared of it. i also got a massive infection which the dentist said was down to smoking, im thinkin if i use a salt rinse after each tab that may help.
Bob379

Vista, CA

#4 Jan 30, 2012
I had my uppers done in November and did fine. I had the lowers done on the 3rd of January and they seem to be worse to me. This week 3 and I'v not been able to chew anything much. I do lot's of noodles and thing with liquid in it, soup, etc. I bought some instant gravy and make up a little and put it on Macaroni. Just keep something going in to keep your strength up. Meat Loaf seems to be ok. I bought the pre-cooked stuff in the store.

Last week I chewed to much and got a piece of bone coming through, so I had to back off some this week. It was next where I had a tooth extracted a few years ago. I think when they made the new impression that area didn't show well and the load of the new denture was right on the edge. it got real sore, not to mention a piece of bone sticking out.
lori

Inverness, UK

#5 Jan 31, 2012
well its D day today, 2 hours to go.
feel sick and got serious butterflies!
getting myself a big breakfast now, while i still can. gonna take some painkillers before i go as well ready for afterwards.
going to enjoy some chewing gum on the way as well cos god knows wen i will enjoy that again as well.
wish me luck and i will keep you posted as and when i can.
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#6 Jan 31, 2012
Well, it's over now ... I know that the anxiety was really bad for you ... it would good to know your thoughts now. My experience was that the worrying about the prodedure was worse than the procedure .... More importantly, now it is important that you heal properly. Have they put the new denture in yet? It would be interesting to know how you compare the denture to the partial and how you do adjusting to it.... I hope you are feeling well .... let us know.
lori

Inverness, UK

#7 Jan 31, 2012
angel thank you for commenting!
Well im here and i survived!
Yes i have my full denture in now.
i had sedation so am not aware of getting home or anything. i went straight to sleep woke an hour later numb on one side but front of face very tender (not pain though) took a couple of paracetamol and ibrufen and slept for an hour. when i woke again the numbness was gone and OMG so was the very bad tenderness!
i had an abs terrifying wake up though, blood all over face, pillow, blanket and top. after a good clean up though im fine. 12 hours later ive only got a tiny bit of occasional blood.
went to the bathroom and smiled, WoWoWoWwWoW i look good!!!! i have a full set of straight white teeth (he has even cleaned my bottom ones up) they are not bright white but a natural white and match the bottom. i was very worried cos i couldnt get my denture out,(needed to see the mess) when i did get it out i found the dentist had used poly grip (fine by me) so panic over. i have to say it broke my heart to see the state without denture and have cried many tears as im only 35. BUT looking at my mouth with them in....WORTH IT.
the denture itself so far feels a very good fit (i dont like them dead tight) but what i did not expect is where the front 6 teeth are there is no plastic aboce them on the front, the denture ends at top of teeth and my gums meet there, not sure how this will be wen i eat but it looks very natural.
ive been warned NOT to use straws as they promote dry socket and not to smoke. i cant not smoke but am drinking LOADs of water and giving my mouth a massive rinse after each tab.
my brother who needs same work as me has been to check on me and is veri impressed.
ive ate some ice cream, had a few cuppas and...IVE HAD SOME CHIPS!!!! wasnt easy or very comfy but copable if i was carefull. i wouldnt reccomend them on first day.
im swallowing fine and speech isnt too bad but i think having a partial before has helped there.
i do have a sore spot already (feels a bit like cutting a tooth) where the plastic on gums meets hole but not too bad so not doing anything with it yet.
comparing my partial to full one. not too bad, mouth doesnt feel massivly full of plastic just a little bit more but good news is my partial rubbed on real teeth next to it causing pain and a hole, no worry of that now!
will update again tomoro.
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#8 Jan 31, 2012
Very interesting post Lori ... yeah, it's a bummer that you have a denture at 35, but it's a bummer at any age ... our minds don't change .... just the way we think and look ;) You sound good! And just the fact that you are going on with your life as normal is wonderul news .... I have a feeling that you are going to be a very successful wearer. I have never seen any denture without the gum above the teeth - I think I would have liked that, but I had some immediate gum shrinkage and I don't know how that would have worked at the time. I have a bridge and it has a small amount of gum attached to it ... Wow, weird that there are so many ways to do a denture. I guess (?) we are lucky (?)... well, yes we are .... a 100 years ago dentures were much worse, and only affordable to the wealthy. I am glad that you are doing so well - I am looking forward to tomorrow's installment!
lori

Inverness, UK

#9 Feb 1, 2012
good morning.
your right angel the body may grow old but in our minds we are always young. and i meant no disrespect to anyone older getting dentures but before this i always thought of people with dentures as very and i mean VERY old like 90 or older lol. yeh i cant find any other dentures like mine either, they look canny, scott says u cant tell what they are.
im going to keep regularly updating this for the moment for others, i read pain, hassle, bad fits etc in other posts over and over again really scared me and i want others like me to know its not all bad (so far so good)
well i slept not too bad,(im sleeping with dentures)had a few wake ups where i had clenched teeth together (used to grind my teeth before)my jaw line feels very tender to lie on (where they took a wisdom tooth out)and have been struggling a little with sleeping and swallowing but not too bad.
this morning i feel very woozy and unsteady (effects from sedation)i have a little swelling today mainly around the front and where my wisdom tooth was (so pleased its gone though) reaching straight for the ibrufen (going to keep ahead on painkillers today again just in case) and i feel quite bruised from wisdom tooth but im not in what i would call pain! the denture although feels quite big today feels quite comfortable, had a 5 min conversation on phone with my mum and i have to say that left my mouth feeling tired and i was struggling a little to swallow and talk. mum says my speach isnt to bad at all and you would have to know me to notice the difference.
ive removed the denture to clean my mouth (with the door firmly closed behind me) scrubbed the denture with a toothbrush and water brushed my remaining bottom teeth and salt water rinse everywhere else (tastes awful) remembered not to spit too hard (trying to avoid dry socket) and careful not to put too much polygrip on (awful stuff when it oozes out the side) and dentures back in. i took before pictures and an after picture with denture in today and im very happy with the result. now time for breakfast. ive been told to eat and drink as much as possible to keep strengh up and promote healing. im having a slimfast milkshake, very good for you, contains everything you need and very easy to drink. im going to enjoy a day on the sofa today as i have cleared 2 or 3 days thinking i would be in agony (which im not) so im going to enjoy the rest while i can.
a tip i heard and used with my partial after the 2 days have passed get yourself some boiled sweets such as polos and suck on them, helps teach your mouth to swallow and gives you the suction on the roof as well as getting used to having something small in your mouth which will probably feel very big to start as a new wearer, it brought me on a treat when i first got mine.
all in all its now been 22 hours since i had the work done and i am quite happy, a little tender but not in pain. still convinced i did the right thing. feel free to ask me any questions and i will try my best to answer them honestly.
Bob379

Montréal, Canada

#10 Feb 1, 2012
Lori, congratulations. Sounds like your doing ok, hang in there. it's one day at a time, then one week and one month. We're all happy for you.
lori

Blackford, UK

#11 Feb 1, 2012
ibrofen is my new best friend!
tenderness and swelling has been getting worse today but manageble with regular ibrufoen.
most bruising is coming from wisdom tooth removal.
apart from one tender spot my dentures are good.
can bite down where molar was removed very well, front ever so slightly, wisdom tooth area slightly.
been craving chocolate today and had a horrid realisation that it will be a while before i can bite one. hubby went and got me choc buttons instead, heaven although after about a dozen sucking on them was becoming very uncomfortable.
actually struggling to swallow and talk abit more today but not too bad.
still getting quite a bit of bloody metallic taste from front, not nice!
still most def think i did the right thing.
lori

Blackford, UK

#12 Feb 1, 2012
ohhhhh, ouch!
woken up at 5 am with horrid pain this morning. best way i can describe it, is it feels very fresh and raw all the way across the top front of my gum, apart from one tiny bit none of the sore bit touches my denture.hitting the ibrofen, and gonna try benzocaine gel, any other advice appreciated. anyone any idea how long this will last?

Since: Jan 12

Duffield, VA

#13 Feb 2, 2012
Hi Lori. I'm sorry to hear you're having pain today. I hate to say it but in my experience it's normal. I had 6 uppers removed and an immediate denture on Jan 23 and still have pain and soreness. My dentist did an adjustment Tuesday and I asked him if this pain is normal and he said yes. My mouth also feels raw. Remember to keep doing the salt water rinses and if the denture rubs see your dentist for an adjustment. I let mine rub until I have three pretty bad sores and if I'd went back to the dentist sooner I could maybe have saved myself some pain and soreness.
You're very new to this and it takes time. Try to be patient and take care of yourself. I wish you the best and hope you heal quickly. The benzocaine was a life saver for me too until I had the adjustment. Honestly I still feel 'overwhelmed' at times...and soooooo aggravated with pain and soreness. So, yeah it's normal...I guess.
Dee
lori

Blackford, UK

#14 Feb 2, 2012
thanks dee, so nice to hear we not alone.
been back for an adjustment and its now heaven! still tender and bruised but so much better. definatly if anyone is having sores or rubbing go back asap dont wait.
ive got it sussed now, every 2 to 3 hours painkillers alternating between paracetamol and ibrufen.
doin so good, ive just ate and loved.......chips..peas..gravy ....and mince pie!!!! wasnt exactly chewing as i used to but getting there!
begining to think im actually one of the lucky ones. x

Duffield, VA

#15 Feb 3, 2012
lori wrote:
thanks dee, so nice to hear we not alone.
been back for an adjustment and its now heaven! still tender and bruised but so much better. definatly if anyone is having sores or rubbing go back asap dont wait.
ive got it sussed now, every 2 to 3 hours painkillers alternating between paracetamol and ibrufen.
doin so good, ive just ate and loved.......chips..peas..gravy ....and mince pie!!!! wasnt exactly chewing as i used to but getting there!
begining to think im actually one of the lucky ones. x
Hi lori, hope you're doing much better this morning. Hopefully you're not to sore after eating more...I did that!
I just wanted to let you know I'm doing so much better! I started using fixodent powder yesterday and it makes soooo much difference. I hadn't used it sooner because of all the salt water rinses. I think rinsing often will help speed healing. Did you get stitches? I didn't have any but now on day 11 the e-sites are looking much better. If I had gone for an adjustment earlier and not let the sore spots get so bad it would have been much better. I won't make that mistake again.
I'm glad your adjustment helped. Take care and keep in touch. I'm so glad you're doing well!
Dee
lori

Blackford, UK

#16 Feb 3, 2012
Dee24251 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi lori, hope you're doing much better this morning. Hopefully you're not to sore after eating more...I did that!
I just wanted to let you know I'm doing so much better! I started using fixodent powder yesterday and it makes soooo much difference. I hadn't used it sooner because of all the salt water rinses. I think rinsing often will help speed healing. Did you get stitches? I didn't have any but now on day 11 the e-sites are looking much better. If I had gone for an adjustment earlier and not let the sore spots get so bad it would have been much better. I won't make that mistake again.
I'm glad your adjustment helped. Take care and keep in touch. I'm so glad you're doing well!
Dee
yes i def think as sooon as u feel the need to adjust it do NOT wait!
had a really bad night with pain where majority were removed, was tempted to remove my denture but thought better of it as i was very scared i couldnt get it back in, in the morning. i didnt have stitches. ive been to the doctors this morning, now taking 2 paracetamol and 3 30mg codiene then 2 hours later 2 ibrufen, 2 hours after back to paracetamol n codiene and i feel 100percent better although quite dopey lol. just got to remember to eat with tablets no matter how bad.
still do not regret doing this though i just keep thinking if i hadnt how many times wud i be in agony with toothache and how many horrid visits to the dentist. when talking to dentist he said he had to give me more sedation than any other person he has ever treated and couldnt believe i was bouncing with energy 3 hours later. the joys of having a high tolerance to anesthetic!!!

Duffield, VA

#17 Feb 3, 2012
Hi Lori, sorry you had a bad night. You're only three days post extraction though so it's normal. I know that doesn't help! I'm glad you have pain meds to take. Keep taking them as scheduled for a few days to stay ahead of the pain if possible. Hopefully things will start getting better real soon.
I wasn't sedated for my extractions but I'm like you in that if anything it "hipes" me up when I do have it. Where most people will sleep---I can't! lol
Hope today goes better for you. Take care.
Dee
lori

Blackford, UK

#18 Feb 4, 2012
thanks dee.
i was fine most of day again it seems pain gets much worse by tea time. lasting till bedtime then im ok in the morning. evenings are wearing me down but am lucky that i can go most of day nearly pain free with meds. i know i shouldnt complain, im lucky compared to many and still its no where near as bad as i expected.
keep plodding on.
i have to say the support and advise (apart from odd comments) in this forum have been a godsend and i really appreciate it all x

Duffield, VA

#19 Feb 4, 2012
Hi Lori.
I know just what you mean. I also do fine until evening. My extraction pain is mostly gone now but it seems like by around 3-4 pm the denture will be rubbing/pinching/or generally just aggravating the heck out of me. Now that I'm using the powder adhesive I can't get them out until later no matter what I've tried. lol. After I finally can remove them and rinse it's better. I look forward to bedtime and going to sleep to let it rest awhile. I know that it's just me getting used to them and that this too will pass...it takes time.
You're not complaining Lori. It's a big adjustment but we will make it! I keep telling myself that it is what it is and I had no choice--well I could just be toothless I guess! I'm very grateful that I could afford this denture!! They're not cheap.
I'm here for you anytime, don't ever be afraid to share what you're feeling. Don't let steve deter you from getting the support you/we need.
Dee
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#20 Feb 4, 2012
Dee ... hang in .... your mouth gets tired after a whole day of muscles that never had a job to do are now working overtime. Your new chewing motion which is more up-down/chomp-chomp isn't like the grinding motion that your mouth is used to. Try buying some Freedent gum. It is made for people who have braces, partials, bridges, dentures, etc. It will not stick to your teeth. But it will help retrain your chewing skills. I had a really hard time too ... I used to take my denture out every chance I got to rest my jaws ... and I didn't sleep in it either ... Me, too, I am very grateful that I have some replacement teeth ... I don't know that you know, but swishing around some carbonated beverage in your mouth will help loosen that denture powder ... so will very warm water or other beverage ... in fact, I will never forget the time I went out with my new denture held tight with Fixodent and ordered a Mimosa .... oopsi!

Do not worry Lori ...we've all been where you are ... it's not easy, but at least we do understand. This is a place where everyone has walked in your shoes and 'gets' you. Hang in, Girlfriend.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Denture Adhesives and Useful Tips for New Wearers (Feb '12) 2 hr BarbB 759
Learning to eat with dentures (Jun '09) 6 hr julia 1,307
How Bad Is Your Breath? 14 Simple Tips For Redu... (Feb '06) 12 hr Smellgone 624
full set implant 13 hr Susie parra 1
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) 21 hr Artist1234 1,391
Pyschological effects of wearing full dentures Feb 26 dentaldepression 20
Cheer up New Denture Wearers (Sep '08) Feb 26 jennifer630 5,591
More from around the web