Angel

Santee, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2009

I need a new thread started for those of us who have had dental implants to retain an over-denture, or to help retain a regular denture.

We have a unique set of issues that I have not seen covered on any of the other threads. My over-denture is, I have to admit, a zillion times better than having to wear that denture that covered my palate, made me gag, had no grinding power, and reduced my tastebuds to negative zero. But, haha, being human, I still have concerns about some things with mine. Like, do any of you have a tough time sometimes getting this thing OUT? And, when I do, does that mean that I need, what? new o-rings? What do you do when food gets under it and you just can't pop it in and out to rinse under it? Do you use floss or an irrigator to clean the posts? I have had mine now for about 6 mos and I am still aware almost every minute that it is in my mouth. Will I ever get used to it? On the bottom I had 4 implants put in and have bridges supported by them on each side for jaw teeth. THEY ARE WONDERFUL. They feel exactly like my own. Someday I will (I WILL) have those on top too - but right now I am still trying to cope with this new denture. Anyone else have unique problems?

Since: Oct 09

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2009

Angel wrote:
I need a new thread started for those of us who have had dental implants to retain an over-denture, or to help retain a regular denture.
We have a unique set of issues that I have not seen covered on any of the other threads. My over-denture is, I have to admit, a zillion times better than having to wear that denture that covered my palate, made me gag, had no grinding power, and reduced my tastebuds to negative zero. But, haha, being human, I still have concerns about some things with mine. Like, do any of you have a tough time sometimes getting this thing OUT? And, when I do, does that mean that I need, what? new o-rings? What do you do when food gets under it and you just can't pop it in and out to rinse under it? Do you use floss or an irrigator to clean the posts? I have had mine now for about 6 mos and I am still aware almost every minute that it is in my mouth. Will I ever get used to it? On the bottom I had 4 implants put in and have bridges supported by them on each side for jaw teeth. THEY ARE WONDERFUL. They feel exactly like my own. Someday I will (I WILL) have those on top too - but right now I am still trying to cope with this new denture. Anyone else have unique problems?
Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.
Angel, I have the same situation as you except that I do not have any bridges.

GRIP - Personally, I do not have a problem getting the dentures out. When I first went from the red 'o rings' to the black, supergrip 'O rings' it was like the denture was nailed to my mouth. I guess the rings loosened over time. Also, I often "oil" my denture with butter or olive oil or coconut oil (and/or raw honey). Sometimes, when the grip is too tight I find the over-denture uncomfortable.

I have a long list of issues on learning to cope with these.

Primarily, I am resentful that the periodontist who 'prescribed' the dentures did NOT inform me of all the many liabilitIes to wearing implant dentures. Not one liability was mentioned - not one....only that I would be happy with my decision to give him more than $26,000 for these awful bulky pieces of plastic. I wish that I had been informed about ALL the data concerning these. I personally believe that many dentists DO NOT INFORM their patients of all the potential liabilities involving dentures, because it might affect the dentist's revenue.

I am on this message board for two main reasons:
(1)to remedy some situations which I have with my over-dentures
(2) to warn others about what dentists DO NOT REVEAL regarding dentures.
Angel

Santee, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2009

I am not resentful at all over having chosen an implant supported over a regular denture. It just seems to have it's own unique difference. I hope to the gods above that I NEVER have to wear a regular denture again.
I'm not sure that there is enough personal experience out here in cyber space for an individual to research. Either the information is provided on a website by a dental needs provider, or there is information from the mfg of the implants. Or - information to the dentists how implant procedure.
What's missing is - US! The wearer's. I personally do not know anyone else who has this in my real world contacts. I know very few denture wearer's actually.
This denture, to me, is like the middle step in mouth restoration. Albeit way to expensive for the average senior. And to obtain the goal of a mouth full of implanted bridges nearly an unreachable goal. I know that I'm not poor, but I don't have the $$$$ extra bucks just lying around for my use exclusivly. So, I have reached a point where this will have to do. For now. What I wouldn't give to wake up one morning and not dread having to put fake teeth in my mouth or have to "feel" them all day, every day - they still do not feel natural to me.
My dentist DID tell me about dentures and what they would be like. He didn't miss the mark too far - I think what most impressed me was that he said he would not ever want to have to wear them. Well, you just can't get more candid than that. I will say though, that he offered and showed me the choices, he did talk about pro's and con's of each - and he did not try to sell me anything. Now that I've worn each type, I have to agree - if you're going to have to wear a denture all of your life, and what you have isn't working - this is a huge step up. Nothing is EVER going to feel like your own unless you can afford a complete set of implants.

Since: Oct 09

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2009

I agree Angel. Implant over-dentures make regular dentures seem primitive. I would hate to have to contend with regular dentures.

Yet, the over-dentures constantly grab my attention. I always feel as if something foreign is in my mouth.

I like your objective, your goal to have some type of implant bridge. Tell me more about this. Can it be done for the full mouth? What are some difficulties involved?

You were very lucky to have a candid dentist who gave you the low-down on some of the things to expect with dentures.

Since: Jun 09

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2009

Thommy, it can be done full mouth. Had things gone right I would have 8 implants supporting a bridge of 12 crowns. It can be done in acrylic or porcelain. It's not removable except by the dentist.

As far as I've been told, one disadvantage to porcelain is that you do not get to see a wax model, at least that's what my dentist told me. So, if you don't like the look in the end, I think you're stuck with it and it's not cheap.

My dentist is still "pushing" me to get the arcylic implant supported denture. It's also called a hybrid. That is about $4000 cheaper.

I plan to have five implants on the bottom supporting five teeth as I still have my bottom front teeth. I know they can do the full mouth because it's been suggested I have the rest of my own teeth extracted and replaced by implants. It would look better but I'm not willing to go that route.
Angel

Santee, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2009

MM - That doesn't sound right to me - I have porcelain teeth and saw and tried on the wax model. Is it just this appliance they are talking about? I have an appointment Monday for the wax try in of my replacement overdenture, I will question my dentist as well and we will compare.

I do know that the implant supported bridge/crowns that would be put into my mouth would not be removable even my the dentist. They also are not one piece, but 3. I have them now on the bottom and they are in there forever.

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2009

Yes, I think we should compare notes. I was talking about seeing wax models of the porcelain crown/bridge work. I didn't know they could not be removed, even by the dentist. Do you think that's a good thing?
Angel

Santee, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2009

Why would I want them taken out???
They are attached to my implant posts just like regular crowns and bridges. The WaterPik cleans underneath them along with the threaded floss. I can't think of any reason to ever have them removed. They aren't going to decay, that's for sure.
You are right though - when the metal parts of the crowns and bridges were tried in for fit, they were sent back out to have the porcelain coating put on. There was no wax model. But, I could tell by the metal try in that the bridges would fit perfect.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving Dinner and that you are so full you are miserable! I really gave thanks for all of those great foods that I knew my forum friends could eat today - yeah, I thought of you all ;-)

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2009

I ate like a pig and loved every minute of it. Even the turkey was tender enough for me to eat but the ham was more difficult.

Glad to know I get to try in the metal parts for a good fit. No one else has told me that. I also didn't know it was not one piece. And, what you're saying about the water pik and threaded floss makes sense. Thanks.

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2009

It has been 9 days that I've had these two titanium screws in my jaw. The gum around them is still tender...am I expecting too much?
Angel

Santee, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2009

Yep. You said you got stitches and that they cut you all the way around. Yeahhhhh, that would be tender for a long time I would imagine.

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2009

Angel, thanks so much. The stitches are still in...he said about 2 weeks before they dissolve and there are many of them. The ends of some of them are a bit sharp and bother my tongue. And, yes, they cut the entire upper gum line so they go way to the back.

I'll try to be more patient. What's so frustrating to me is that as soon as I heal, I have to do this all over again and heal again.
Chris

West Chester, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

I too am having trouble taking out my full upper implant supported denture.(4 implants) It can take me a good 2-3 minutes to get them out of my mouth. Anyone have any ideas on how to make this easier?

I have only had them a month now but still feel them. Does that get any easier?

E-mail ckmk4@comcast.net with any suggestions. Thanks
Angel

Santee, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Well, if you ready the first msg, you can see that I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS! Finally solved most of them just about the time I got rid of the overdenture and had this fixed bridge put in. Here's a couple of things I learned: Getting them OUT .... reach back and pop only one of the implants off it's post first. Then put your fingers above your 2 "eye" teeth and pull the denture down ...the denture SHOULD come right out. For me, it was popping the back right side "snap" off first. Try both sides, see which one you can loosen ... Another tip .. I had to go back to 2 red rings and 2 black rings .... If I used all reds the denture was too loose and it practically fell out, if I used all black it was up there too tight and I would actually panic when I couldn't get it out. I never got used to that denture. See how much your dentist will charge to use your posts (see "All on 4" dental implants .. Google) and make you a permanent bridge ... you will love it.
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2010

My mother has multiple upper and lower implants to support new dentures. What is preferred? One or multiple pieces? Glued or screwed in place?
Angel

Santee, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2010

Say that again, John??? One or multiple pieces of what? And my implants were screwed in and then I had to wait while the bone grew and secured them .... they are not mini's .... Are you thinking that your mom might be wanting what, an implant supported denture? Or a permanent fixed bridge?
Anne

Avon, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2010

Glad I found this post.I have 6 implants with plan to have screw retained denture with porcelain.Problem is that because of implant placement it was very flared and not an option.So a screw retained one was made with acrylic.It is very natural and pretty but it is a denture none the less and like someones previous post I can feel it. I do not take it out daily and that is a good thing.Implants were not what I expected at least not denture made of acrylic. My dentist however has been working with me to tweek the denture to my best outcome.In retrospect I think implant surgery needs to be more refined and better explained that this flare can happen.Looking forward to hearing from anyone with this problem.
Evangeline

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2011

So glad to find this post. Have had overdenture (All on 4) for a few days now and I have to say that after my initial euphoria about not having that horrible full upper denture anymore I'm still not as happy with the overdenture as I thought I'd be (I have a Torus on my upper palate to complicate matters). My overdenture has a metal strip at the back. Does anyone else have this? No mention was made to me of this not being standard but I haven't seen any pictures that have it nor has anyone mentioned having this. The palate isn't as open as I thought it would be and it rocks (and not in a good way...:)..). I'm going call my dentist on Monday to ask if he can open the palate more and do something to stop this rocking. I am so aware of having something foreign (just like everyone else has said) in my mouth all the time but ANOTHER 10K for a fixed bridge!!!! I'll post after I go back to him and see what he says. Also I'll ask him exactly what the fixed bridge will cost so we can compare notes. I'm in SE Florida so I don't know if things are more or less expensive here. You'd think that we could get more for our (so far) 24K!!!!! I think these guys (dentists) are all theives. Know what they call implants (amoungst themselves that is)? Tees. As in 'golf tees'. Because we finance their exotic vacations to golf resorts. Also they really have us by the short hairs because these dental procedures have so many subsequent visits involved that we can't go to another country and have this work done for a reasonable price...
Rick

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2011

Evangeline, A maxofacial surgeon should be able to remove the tori for you to give you a little more room in the roof of your mouth. Been there.
Angel

Santee, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2011

Evangeline ... 10K is so worth it. The pop in's are livable, but a p.i.t.a. ..... and you're right, not a whole lot more palate. It shouldn't rock and I have never heard of a bar either. He must have had that installed as a stablizer. I've been down your path. Get the bridge. But make sure he does not try to get you to use your existing denture as part of the bridge. I heard someone say that on one of these forums and I can tell you that a bridge IS NOT part of a denture.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

48 Users are viewing the Dentures Forum right now

Search the Dentures Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Dentures v. Implant --need advice! (Jan '14) 3 hr Irving Arson 9
Cheer up New Denture Wearers (Sep '08) 5 hr 67slotts 5,272
Learning to eat with dentures (Jun '09) 15 hr Littlg3 1,026
chewing with porcelian vs acrylic (Jun '10) 18 hr Anonymous 21
Denture Adhesives and Useful Tips for New Wearers (Feb '12) 18 hr Sandy 571
Mini implant supported denture upper (Jan '14) 23 hr Sandy 34
Dentist in Mobile Offers Free Cosmetic Consulta... (Jun '11) Wed Jane 5
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) Tue timfrompittsburgh 909
•••
•••