new denture wearer
Funny Girl

Miami, FL

#972 May 19, 2011
ALTHEA wrote:
HI THERE - MY DENTIST SUGGESTED I GO ONLINE TO HEAR ABOUT OTHER FOLKS HAVING ALL UPPER TEETH REMOVED THEN GETTING USED TO A FULL TOP DENTURE FOR 6-8 MONTHS BEFORE HAVING 6 POSTS PUT IN TO SUPPORT A PERMANENT TOP DENTURE...I AM A SINGER AND VOCAL COACH AND THE THOUGHT TERRIFIES ME...PRIMARILY BECAUSE I DO HAVE PERIODONTAL DISEASE (HAVE HAD THE REQUISITE SURGERY - NOW THAT WAS A BUCKET OF FUN@!@) AND I HAVE BEEN DILIGENT OVER THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS HAVING REGULAR DEEP ROOT SCALING IN ORDER TO SAVE MY TEETH...NOW THE TOOTH DOCTOR IS OUTLINING TO ME THAT I'LL BE IN A BETTER POSITION NOW TO PROCEED WITH HIS RECOMMENDATIONS THAN I WILL BE IN A FEW YEARS WHEN MY GUMS HAVE RECEDED FURTHER AND I WILL HAVE LESS BONE MASS... ANYONE OUT THERE WHO'S A SINGER WHO'S HAPPY TO TELL ME THE STORY OF SINGING WITH FALSE TEETH IN THE MOUTH (KEEPING IN MIND THE POSSIBILITY OF DENTURES FLYING ACROSS THE STAGE WHEN I'M SINGING FULL TILT...NOW THAT PAINTS A PICTURE DOESN'T IT????) I DON'T KNOW IF MY INNATE SENSE OF HUMOUR COULD ACTUALLY LAUGH THAT ONE AWAY OR IF MY PRIDE WOULD BE DESICRATED TO THE POINT I'D NEVER STEP ON STAGE AGAIN...DO JUMP IN...ANYONE...HELP ME OUT HERE...I'M LOOKING AT APPROXIMATELY $30,000 PLUS DENTURES...YIKES...
Althea please email me at [email protected] if you get a chance. I love to sing too (I have taken private classes), and also suffer from periodontal disease. I just got a periodontal splint with resin-reinforced fiber on the inside of my mouth (from canine to canine), and I feel it with my tongue. As a hobby-singer, I am acutely aware of my tongue's movements in my mouth and wonder if I'll get totally used to this feeling. How are you getting along with singing with your dentures? Any advice?

Since: Apr 11

La Porte, IN

#973 May 20, 2011
7 1/2 weeks 'post event' and all is going well. I'm having some slight gagging issues with my top plate. I'm sure it's from my own gum shrinkage making the plate slightly too big (I get a soft reline done on the 31st). As long as I use quite a bit of the adhesive powder and get it in the *just so* I'm fine with it. My other small complaint is that my teeth aren't sharp enough lol. I'm used to having great big teeth - LOTS of chewing surfaces with my bio-teeth - but now, they're normal sized and not nearly as sharp. I e-mailed my prostodontist (I gotta' say it again - I LOVE the dental practice I go to!!) and she said she'd sharpen up all the molars. I was told they left them on the dull side so I wouldn't "bite the hell out of your own mouth". Makes sense. They wanted me to learn to chew again properly and do it without biting myself. It's like learning to eat all over again. But now that I've got it down, I'm getting my teeth sharpened. Isn't it funny what excites us denture wearers?? I've gotten EXTREMELY lucky...I have almost full rage of chewing motions...even the side to side grinding. I know it's because my dentures were made so well. And these are still just my temps.
I had my 2 remaining teeth root planed/scaled on the 10th so, at this moment, I'm periodontal disease free for the first time in 20 years. My dentist said that studies are finding that, in a lot of people, perio disease just might be an auto-immune disorder. Especially in those of us who follow through with the perio care (root planing and scaling sucks especially after your 5th go-round) and use the expensive prescription toothpastes, rinses, etc. and still battle it. I aggressively fought the perio disease and still lost. I showed them though! I got all those nasty buggars pulled out...that'll show 'em. lol.
All in all, I'm doing really well. I still have minor problems pop up but nothing major.
MsRidetheWind

Newark, NY

#974 May 20, 2011
Hi Althea, I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but my Dad sings in Chorale. He got dentures over 20 years ago and I'm not sure how much time he took off from singing, but he does sing regularly at full tilt. He also plays trombone! With dentures! In my own experience, my temporary dentures fell out while I was talking on the phone. I was mortified, and very grateful I wasn't talking to someone in person. So, I think the temporary denture might possibly fall out, but the permanent ones should stay put. Good luck with this tough decision. I was told my natural teeth would be gone in 5 years from periodontal disease, and my dentist also told me I would have a better outcome and more bone mass if I got dentures sooner rather than later. It wasn't easy or fun, but I'm satisfied with the results.
Angel

Santee, CA

#975 May 20, 2011
Avi ... just something to consider .... acrylic teeth can never be as 'sharp' as porcelain. Dentist do not like to recommend them as they are harder for them to work with. But if you want back what you had, opt for those as your permanents. I was never told anything about 'sharpening' teeth. Very interesting.
I had gum disease since I was 16 - I remember my dentist telling my mom that teenages and stress seemed to have a link. For ME that may have been true ... I have been a stress-case ever since I remember! ;)

La Porte, IN

#976 May 20, 2011
My permanent bottom partial will be porcelain but my tops will be acrylic. I wanted it to be as light-weight on top as possible so we opted for acrylic up there. The porcelain bottom teeth will be heavier so gravity will help keep that plate in better. I'm doing really, really well with my bottom partial. Those two teeth are paramount to the fact that it's "working". Even though I can't go the full implant route, if I ever have to lose one or both of those teeth he'll *try* single tooth replacement implants for those canines.
It's amazing how they can sharpen denture teeth just a bit. I've had all of the very back molars already sharpened (4 total so far) and it really helped. If I run my finger over those teeth I can't really feel any difference but when they're in my mouth I can tell. My prostodontist says her team always leaves the teeth a bit on the dull side to keep patients from over-doing it with chewing while they're healing (very sneaky, but kind of brilliant, too).
I know stress played a role in my tooth loss, as well. I've been battling a pretty serious anxiety disorder since early childhood. Full blown panic attacks...the whole 9 yards. I started having acid reflux as a result when I was about 10 years old (they called it a nervous stomach back then)...all that acid in my mouth all night long did some major damage to my teeth. Plus, I clench and grind my teeth and that sure didn't help.
Angel

Santee, CA

#977 May 20, 2011
Avi ... panic attack thing ... me too ... I still get the jitters now and then - but still take a med to keep anxiety at bay. That could be a whole other thread. Since my porcelain bridge is much lighter than my acrylic was, I find our dental experience, although very similar, very different as well. Does your dentist have a website? I'd like to read about her.
The dull VS sharp is most interesting - if that is an acceptable method I know that just about everyone on this thread will demand to have that done to their denture as one of the hardest things to do for even seasoned denture-wearers is grind up things like lettuce and onion. Until I got the porcelain (which grinds like a garbage disposal) I always had a hard time with that. I hope people are takeing notes on your posts and demanding that their dentist does the same thing.
Angel

Santee, CA

#978 May 20, 2011
BTW - I was advised to keep my bottom implants (and the first partial) porcelain as well if that was what I was going to choose for my bridge. I can only tell you that it looks fantastic ... is glass-like, and I am scared to death every day of damaging it.

La Porte, IN

#979 May 20, 2011
I had a couple of porcelain bridges that I LOVED. I miss them. One bridged 4 teeth on top and the other bridged 3 teeth on the bottom. I had them for years and never did any damage to them (thankfully). There were crazy-strong, stayed beautiful, I could eat anything, Perfect!! Too bad the teeth supporting them decided to poop-out on me. Those traitors.
My dentist thinks I'm nutty, I know it. I have a big personality and am an obsessive note taker when it comes to medical stuff (my geneticist forced that issue on me years ago...Thank God it stuck). I attack stuff with a sense of humor and I pretty much laid that all out on appointment #1. Thank Heaven my doctor has a great sense of humor and 'gets me'. I call him Doogie Howser, DDS (he's not even 30 yet) and he threatens to wire my jaw shut...it's a great working relationship. I wish everyone could have him as their doc. He specializes in oral surgery but does general dentistry, as well. His name is Troy Springer and he's with Afdent ( http://www.afdent.com/ ). They don't have any info on their staff except for the doctor who owns both offices (I go to the one in Mishawaka, Indiana). Dr. Pecina, the owner, is not only a local guy, he started out in a little office attached to his house 35 years ago. He managed to build that tiny office into 2 huge, state-of-the-art offices that both staff 8 full time dentists (many of them specialize in oral surgery or periodontics, etc), SIX days a week. I couldn't tell you how many hygienists, technicians, and nurses work there; there's too many to count. They have at least 3 full time financial advisors, a whole bunch of other office people and then there are the "Denture Girls". These women are artists!! They all have either graduated from a 4 year denture program or are students doing their internships. I lost count of them, too. A woman named Brenda is the one I always make my appointments with (she's the head-honcho of their AWESOME denture lab). She took plastic and made me the most perfect set of teeth I could have hoped for. I smile in the mirror and am blown away. This voice in my head says, "Nooo Way! That cannot be you. Those perfect teeth in that head do not compute." Pure artistry. Everyone in the denture lab really cares about their work, and it shows. They're so proud of my dentures; it's really, really sweet and kind of cute. They knock themselves out to ensure the fit, the feel, and the look are top-notch. Plus, they keep a couple of open appointments every hour so we denture patients can go into the office as 'walk-ins'. I've never waited more than 45 minutes as a walk-in. I've never waited at all when I have a scheduled appointment. The day of my 'big surgery' my bottom partial didn't look quite right to Brenda or Dr. Springer so Brenda exclaimed, "Oh, NO! A world of no!" and went off to the lab with it and had it remade while I was having surgery. I cannot stress enough how important it is to find a dental office with their own denture lab if they can.
Angel

Santee, CA

#980 May 21, 2011
Thanks for the link ... I did roam around it ... it was interesting to notice that all of the dentists are just about 3 years out of dental college ... which is probably why they are so dedicated to their work ... young, best educated with new methods, trying to find their place in the world, perfecting their craft ... I would imagine that the reason they stay long enough is to either go into their own practice or partnership. Meanwhile, Afdent gets the use of their talents ... pretty smart - But, I would bet that the technicians have been there awhile. I would go there.
BTW, I love the name Troy - that is my youngest grandchild's name ;)

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#981 Jun 13, 2011
Wow, you people are scaring me...i am just about to get my remaining 5 teeth pulled and getting ready for dentures. My self esteem sucks so bad and i won't even go out like this. I thought this would be something that will lift me up..not bring me down. Now i'm really scared. I don't want any suffering.
John

Higganum, CT

#982 Jun 13, 2011
Avigayil- if you tell you Doc, to Remove some of the Back part of you top denture,you will feel better and less gaging and you will taste your food a little better.
Good luck to all. 2 years and Im doing well,and some times I forget about them. And also I do feel better with them in my mouth.
Angel

Santee, CA

#983 Jun 13, 2011
Forma Brooka ... these are personal experiences you are reading ... and not yours. Since there is only 5 teeth left to work with it sounds like you will be like 99% of most people and adjust with little problem ..... everyone has some rough times especially in the beginning .... just know that yes, it will feel diffenent, yes you will chew differently, yes it will be pretty uncomfortable for a while, but your dentist should be willing to see you any time you need an adjustment. Do not suffer with any sore spots ... just go back in and get it adjusted ... in the beginning I went as many as 3 times a week ... Just hang in there ... it's a day by day process and almost everyone who has a denture does well .... there are MILLIONS of people who wear them happily.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#984 Jun 14, 2011
Thank you angel. I am just really anxious and scared. I have been waiting so long to be able to feel good about myself and smile again. Wish me luck in hoping all goes well. Thanks
Angel

Santee, CA

#985 Jun 14, 2011
You will be fine ... the anxiety is worse than anything. The sooner it is over the sooner you can start your own Denture 'Venture ..... do not worry - everyone on this forum has been through this too - they really 'get it' when you think you are the only one who feels like nothing is normal. It may take you a few days, a few weeks, a few months ... but, I'm a gambling woman and I'd be willing to bet that a year from now you will have forgotten all about this forum ... and we will be happy for you. Luck and love ... let us know ... we'll be waiting.
Maggie

Pakuranga, New Zealand

#986 Jun 27, 2011
Robin wrote:
There's no better feeling than bedtime when the teeth come OUT!!!!

Hi Robin. I know you posted this quote back in 2009 and it is now 2011 and you mightn't be looking at this forum anymore, but just in case you do, I have a question for you regarding taking the dentures out at night. I've had my immediates for a month now and I was told by my dentist that I should take them out to sleep. I did it only one time because I hate the feeling of my top lip being drawn inwards. It makes me feel like and ancient crone.. hee hee... Worse: I'm afraid that the drawing inwards of the lip will eventually give me those vertical ruts between my nose and mouth that you see on some old people. Do you, or does anyone else, have that "drawing in" feeling? It doesn't happen when the bottom denture is out so I do take that one out at night. Look forward to any answers on that.
Tara

Mason, OH

#987 Jul 8, 2011
Has anyone felt suicidal over dentures?

It has been a month for me .. full dentures (immediate for now, real in six months) Can't eat, down to 90 pounds, now told have a torus which will cost another $2000 to remove for bottom plates to fit and I don't have that kind of money after spending $6,000 so far!!
I look funny .. teeth not right but dentist says cause of healing

I can't take it any more :(

This was not a planned deal either .. knocked out a front tooth and within days had this done because was recommended due to bone cancer
Angel

Santee, CA

#988 Jul 9, 2011
Yes - well No .... I hated my dentures ... hated them because they felt so forign, wrong, horrid ... I did end up taking antidepressent to get me through all of the rest of the work .... I really think it's part of the 'stages' of dealing with the loss .... and now maybe for you the fact that you have cancer ..... I don't fully understand how removing your teeth solved the cancer part though???
Anonymous

Ridgefield Park, NJ

#989 Jul 16, 2011
Hello
I posted the other day, but I do not see it anywhere.
Anyway, I just received my full upper denture on thursday. It is very loose, but otherwise looks pretty good. Have not ate much because the entire plate presses up when I eat something. I am almost certain this is because they took the impression before pulling the teeth. Going to dentist today to see if he can do anything.

been reading a lot of this forum and am very happy I found it, such great advice on here!
Tom
John

Higganum, CT

#990 Jul 16, 2011
Tara...Take a breather,you did go through alot,as most of us did.We all managed to get through this ugly mess,not our fault we know. Could you tell me the name of your dentist.
Why didn't your doctor see the torus before i wonder.And it dose seem like alot of money.I spent about $3500.00 for all my work. that was removal of 9 teeth and a upper and lower plate.I did not get the temp ones, the doc said that if I waited about 15 days for the swelling to go down then I could just get the regular dentures and No need for the temp's. so I said ok i'll wait.And everything went fine.
Yes I did not like the feel of them at all.And did have a hard time to eat at first,Do you use fixodent on them to help hold them in place? I did not have mine made at a place like Aspen, because I have heard too much bad about them.And they cost ALOT.
Abner

Rock Hill, SC

#991 Jul 22, 2011
I had my upper teeth removed around 12 years ago and got the upper plate. They now don't fit right. So I went to the dentist recently and had a new upper plate made, but they keep wanting to drop out of my mouth... so i don't wear them. My question: When you get new dentures shouldn't they fit tight or should you have to use an adhesive to keep them in. I think if you pay 1200 dollar for dentures then they should fit tight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bad taste & smell of reline (Jun '11) 11 hr Jenny jj 44
Hybridge Dental Implants (Jul '12) 19 hr Sad and Distraught 173
free teeth makeover (Jul '08) Wed Cfunes 470
Mouth Sores (Feb '12) Mar 21 CharliesAngel81 50
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) Mar 20 so-confused 1,965
Considering Full Dentures??? (Jan '13) Mar 19 Steve 56
Denture Adhesives and Useful Tips for New Wearers (Feb '12) Mar 18 Judyp1414 987
More from around the web