new denture wearer
Angel

Santee, CA

#932 Feb 18, 2011
"Well, Kiddo ....." what a jerk. GO BACK. Do not leave that chair until that area is fixed. My god, a sore spot can cause you to not wear your denture. Or you can so sort of fix it yourself.... fill the inside of the denture with blue tooth paste (you can see it better than white)... put your denture in and then carefully take it out .... where the sore spot is you should see a mark made in the blue .... take a tiny piece of sandpaper on the end of something (I used a nail file) and sort of swirl it to grind it down a bit. Go easy, because you can't undo what you do. But, you should be able to relieve the pressure. Sometimes though ... bone spurs are coming to the surface and they are just plain sore until they work their way out ... So you can use like Orajel or something else to numb the spot.... haha ... try whiskey ... jk ..... xxoo
sorry

Saint Marys, OH

#933 Feb 18, 2011
You're absolutely right. All I can think about is pain and getting the damn thing out of my mouth. Dentist is not in on Friday so I have to put up with it until Monday. Thanks to the fact that dental work is so outrageously expensive he can afford to work four days a week.

I have some of those 4-sided emery boards, and I think I can pull one of the emery strips off and use it. I don't need to do the toothpaste thing - I can feel the rough spot with my finger and know exactly where it is. I'm not sure about it being a bone spur. Surgeon had to cut my entire upper gum because all I had were little nubbins and roots since I had all crowns. He surely could have seen pieces of bone since he had my mouth fileted like a fish.:)

Thanks Kiddo. lol
Angel

Santee, CA

#934 Feb 18, 2011
Sorry: The 'bones' are sometimes part of the roots of the teeth, etc. They are KILLER ... you would see them - they get whitish. I also had stitches rise to the top weeks after they were snipped out. Good luck with the sandpapaer ... I still keep a small strip available for rough edges on my 'teeth' that bother my tongue. Yep ... over 3 years later and I still have little problems. Yes - dentists and doctors should have someone in their offices during at least the weekdays ... it seems like every problem I've ever had has happened on a Saturday ;(

Since: Feb 11

Raleigh, NC

#935 Feb 20, 2011
Soon2Smile wrote:
<quoted text>
I say this new one sounds like he needs a swift kick in the shin!!:)
Shin?
Angel

Santee, CA

#936 Feb 21, 2011
Sorry ... Did you ever get that rough spot fixed?
sorry

Saint Marys, OH

#937 Feb 21, 2011
Angel wrote:
Sorry ... Did you ever get that rough spot fixed?
Yep, fixed it myself.: Good thing, too, because today the sleet and snow came pouring down.
Angel

Santee, CA

#938 Feb 21, 2011
Sorry ... good for you ... but it's such a shame that your dentist dismissed your complaint. What a jerk he's being. This is when you PRAY for what comes around goes around ;)
sorry

Saint Marys, OH

#939 Feb 21, 2011
You got that right.

What I don't get is that his practice seems to be very busy. His employees have been there since the beginning. Children coming in for their first dental visit even. If their parents are patients, you'd think they wouldn't bring their kids in to be manhandled. Maybe he just has a problem with me being such a dissatisfied customer.
sorry

Saint Marys, OH

#940 Feb 22, 2011
I have a new excruciating pain. It's like really hard pinching, like the denture is pinching something but it can't be that I can figure out. It happened twice today, both times when I was talking on the phone. It was so bad I took it out and tried not to say words with s's. As soon as I take it out, the pain stops. What could it be?
Angel

Santee, CA

#941 Feb 22, 2011
Sorry:???? Where? The whole top? In a certain area?
sorry

Saint Marys, OH

#942 Feb 22, 2011
It's in one spot, above where my left ex-eyetooth would be, I think. Or maybe to the left of it. When the denture is out, I can press on that spot and there's no pain.
MG Nolan

United States

#943 Mar 16, 2011
Well, this isn't good at all.

Just a general observation: I'm planning on getting dentures and from reading some of these posts it would appear that dentures have been the direct cause of living in hell.

Has any human being ever gotten dentures and been happy that they did ? Or have I just been reading the wrong posts ?

Thanks.
Angel

Santee, CA

#944 Mar 16, 2011
MILLIONS of people do well with dentures .... this forum is looked for, used by, and usually posted on because someone has not adapted right away and is looking for some assurance that they are not the only one to have those feeling. My only reply to you is that I have a little concern that you are considering choosing dentures for some reason. Just let me say, if there is ANY way to save your own teeth - save them. Dentures are a barbaric substitute for your own. JMHO
Look through the dental threads and find one where people post their success ....
MG Nolan

United States

#945 Mar 17, 2011
Angel, Thanks for the response. Apparently I hvae no choice but to have dentures put in.

One more question? That last sentence you wrote in the above post, did you mean "Good luck finding even one person" who was doing okay with them ? Or am I misreading that ?

Thanks again !
Angel

Santee, CA

#946 Mar 17, 2011
MG .... not mis-reading, mis-interpretation. I mean: there are many threads in the dental forum, you could look for a topic that appears to be titled as those who are happy-denture-campers. You have to remember .... I was not ever one of those posting that type of blogging ... my journey with dentures was not successful - thus I have ended up wearing an implanted full bridge on the top and implanted bridges for jaw teeth on the bottom. The whole denture thing was a nightmare for me. You have to keep in mind that there are, from what I understand, 1 in 3 people over 60 wearing some sort of dental appliance whether it be removable or permanent. That is a lot of people, and not that many post on these threads ... so the odds are, seemingly, in your favor. However, if you have the procedure done and you need support, this would be the place to come ... we send out virtual hugs. ;)
MsRidetheWind

Rochester, NY

#947 Mar 19, 2011
Hey MG, I had a lot of extractions and full uppers, partial lowers in Sept. Just thought I'd give you some encouragement, and the harsh reality as well, at least in my experience. I had mine pulled due to periodontitis; I wasn't missing a lot of teeth and they looked ok. On the plus side: since getting dentures I can eat some foods like steak better than before! My dentures are whiter than my teeth were but they look natural. On the downside: I too had issues during the process, that's how I found this site. The extractions are the easy part! The dentists don't tell you about the fatigue, depression, and frustration of getting dentures. So, good luck MG, I hope your experience is not as horrible as some on this post, my heart goes out to all who have been through this and especially those who are having such a rough time of it. And especially to Angel who is our coach and cheerleader!!
Angel

Santee, CA

#948 Mar 19, 2011
So ... MRTW ... you are doing well? That is GREAT! Less than 6 months ... and just listen to you! You should be the cheerleader! A success story is so nice to read.....
joe

West Sand Lake, NY

#949 Mar 28, 2011
will denist refund you if your dentures will not fit right thank you joe
Angel

Santee, CA

#950 Mar 28, 2011
That's probably up to you. Your denture is a product ... like anything else you buy. It is up to your dentist to make it fit, or make it right. Do not give up .... if you don't get results go to the Dental Board and then to the Better Business Bureau .... You are entitled to what you pay for. He is not a god, he is a businessman. Good luck.
DeDe

Randolph, NJ

#951 Apr 5, 2011
I was so depressed with my new upper & lower dentures that i am so damn depressed but after readin gthe comments of other new denture wearers I literally laughed out loud. Suffering Succatash and Bucky Beaver....I can relate and am glad to be a member of this elite club!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Full Dentures are the WRONG CHOICE!!! (Feb '12) 42 min Synnin 482
I hate my dentures! (Oct '11) 4 hr Noodles 351
free teeth makeover (Jul '08) Tue DjMonkeyTampaBayFL 474
Cheer up New Denture Wearers (Sep '08) Jun 25 Lisa 5,892
Dentures and Dry Mouth Jun 25 Sara 2
Hybridge Dental Implants (Jul '12) Jun 25 pdrake 183
Cleaning dentures with soft relines (Apr '10) Jun 24 Dean 78
More from around the web