new denture wearer

Since: Jun 09

Denver, CO

#791 Jul 5, 2010
OOps...should read "she was back in the chair."
Johnny

Higganum, CT

#792 Jul 5, 2010
Just remember......it will take a long time to get use to the new dentures.It's easier to get use to a new woman or man.
But you will.
Joel

Kissimmee, FL

#793 Jul 16, 2010
Had 25 teeth pulled 4 day's ago. Kept on getting more and more swollen each day. Had a soft lining put in my dentures today and think things are starting to turn around, hope so. Sleeping has been horrible, can sleep with them in or out, laying on my side makes my face really swollen.Can't sleep on my back because of sleep apnea, so have been sleeping in the lazy boy a couple of hours at a time. Have been living on liquids. Tried mashed potatoes they stuck to my gums and in the 25 holes. Seems everything gets in the holes and I can't get it out. Any suggestions??? on food. So far it's one day at a time.

Brighton, CO

#794 Jul 16, 2010
Hi Joel, I would think the sockets would have been sutured closed. If food gets in those sockets I wouldn't try to get it out as you might dislodge a clot and get a dry socket...at least for another three days or so. I'd stick to soup and milkshakes followed by a warm salt water gentle rinse.

Keep us posted.
Joel

Kissimmee, FL

#795 Jul 17, 2010
All the bigger sockets were sutured shut, but not the smaller ones. I had a soft liner put in yesterday and thing were going pretty well, this morning my gums felt really sore and when I looked in my mouth I have canker sore's, 6 on the bottom and 3 on top. Has anyone have any suggestions, of coarse this always happens on the weekend.
Angel

Santee, CA

#796 Jul 17, 2010
Joel ... Myadvice is the same ... salt water .... many,many, many times a day ...no swishing. Just hold it in and then let it roll out of your mouth into the sink. Thank God for the Lazy Boy ....
Joel

Kissimmee, FL

#797 Jul 19, 2010
The soft(they don't feel soft to me) liner's hurt so bad and what I thought was canker sores were really pressure sores. Can't ware the bottoms, just to painful and have to let the sores heal. Had to remodel the the top ones, cutting half to the liner off so now they fit without hurting. Just amazes me that I can do a better job with a razor blade and a piece of sand paper then the dentist can do with all their fancy equip. Feels like I'm talking to the wall when I'm explaining to them how they feel in my mouth. Had to vent,,, disgusted .......
Angel

Santee, CA

#798 Jul 19, 2010
Joel ... I kept a small piece of sandpaper with me always. Also have a crystal file that I used for sharp edges that used to cut up my tongue. Your mouth is still swollen and you will make and have many adjustments for a long time. The mouth is so sensitive. And even when I think all of the rough spots were taken care of, as quickly as the ride home in the car I might have got another. Don't worry about venting - that's what this forum is for, and everytime you vent --- someone else either identifies with you and is validated ... and that's a good thing. I was pretty sure that's what your sores were - that's why the salt water will help. I rinsed for almost 2 years during all of the procedures that I had to have done to get where I'm at now .... I still have a carton of salt on my side of the sink.
Johnny

Higganum, CT

#799 Jul 29, 2010
To late to change. I think the out come for us denture wearers it were and who did the work.Mostly the ones that make/made the dentures.I checked around quite alot before I had my teeth removed and my dentures made.I end up going to one place to have the teeth removed, and then to another place to have the dentures made.And the end result was good i think by reading the messages of others.And it ended up costing less. The "Mill" places like Aspen just want your money,and don't care about you that much.
If you didn't have the work done yet,my advice is to call many,many,many offices.If they don't seem Friendly, ouch.,I don't think sooooo.My advice.
Good luck to all New and old.
Johnny
about 1 year later, doing fine,and feel good about my plastic teeth.LoL
lilbritches

Islamorada, FL

#800 Jul 29, 2010
8 weeks full uppers and partial lowers still cant talk or eat yesterday the lowers broke in two and tooth broke on uppers cause the damn things are 2 big I constantly am dry heaving from all the plastic in my mouth been back to dentist 5 times 2 relines dentures still to big getting new set monday Wish i had known what was involved in When i smile i am all gums I wish i had my ugly teeth back i look 10 years older with these teeth
Lynne

Buffalo, MN

#801 Aug 7, 2010
SAllanG wrote:
Had my uppers extracted on June 2. Barely got my dentures last week. They look great. However, I can't eat worth a damn with them, much less swallow or talk with them. I sound like Sylvester the Cat, "thuffering thuckatash." They creep me out and I hate them. I whole-heartedly regret ever agreeing to this fate. If anyone is contemplating having full upper teeth, DON'T DO IT! You WILL regret it!
I've had my dentures, upper and lower for 11 years. The best thing that ever happened to me. My upper teeth were pulled and the permanent denture put in immediately. Yes, there was blood and removing them was the learning process and then putting them back in. You HAVE to wear them to get the fit right. As your gums heal, and the swelling goes down, that's when your dentist will be able to tell where the sore spots are. His examination should consist of checking the reddened spots on your gums, marking them with something they use, putting the denture back in and then taking it back out. The marks will show on the denture and the dentist then will know exactly where the trouble spots are. I also helped myself get used to the fit by using a product called Cushion Grip. It's a gel like substance you can put in denture and it helps keep the denture to fit to the gums. Your gums will heal and change for a good 6 to 8 months. I still use a little of the Cushion Grip because its cheaper than having the dentist keep re-lining them..It stays in there for up to 3 weeks or so and then you can remove it and reapply. I love my dentures. My real teeth never looked as good. I eat steak, corn on the cob etc and have a great smile.
Angel

Santee, CA

#802 Aug 7, 2010
11 years downline may blur your memory a little ... LilBritches- many of us can relate to you - mostly because like Lynne says - you do have to wear them, they will need to be adjusted and it is a process that you have to go through because they aren't your own teeth and they don't feel natural to you - yet. But, like Lynne says, over time you can learn to live with them, eat with them, and, beleive it or not, be grateful to have them. Millions of people wear them - it is not an easy adjustment for a few - I never did - and that's why I hung in there for the implants and permanent bridge. I hope I NEVER have to wear another denture EVER.
linda

Bronx, NY

#803 Aug 24, 2010
lilbritches wrote:
8 weeks full uppers and partial lowers still cant talk or eat yesterday the lowers broke in two and tooth broke on uppers cause the damn things are 2 big I constantly am dry heaving from all the plastic in my mouth been back to dentist 5 times 2 relines dentures still to big getting new set monday Wish i had known what was involved in When i smile i am all gums I wish i had my ugly teeth back i look 10 years older with these teeth

your not alone,i had mine for over a year.mini inplants and all and i stil hate the top ones,like you say plastic in your mouth,wish i had my own teeth back,it changed my life and not for the better,i hate kissing my husband,with a full mouth of s---.
MsRidetheWind

Rochester, NY

#804 Sep 2, 2010
I just had all my uppers and most lowers extracted 3 days ago. The extraction was the easy part! I sit here now without my uppers in, it hurts too much to put them in. I tried, it hurt, I took some Advil and waited an hour, still hurt... I really don't want to take Vicodin every morning just to put my teeth in! Help!! I go back to work in 5 days!

Denver, CO

#805 Sep 2, 2010
MsRidetheWind, your gum tissue is still sore and tender so try using warm water in your mouth and on the denture, then slip them in. That helped me. Everyone is different, possibly iced water would work instead.

Some of my sorest spots where the injection sites. If you have some orajel, dab it on those sites and that might help too.

Warm salt water gentle rinses will help with the soreness. Just hold it in your mouth and move your face side to side for thirty seconds. Doing this several times a day will help a lot.

Good luck...keep us posted.
MsRidetheWind

Rochester, NY

#806 Sep 2, 2010
MerryMac wrote:
MsRidetheWind, your gum tissue is still sore and tender so try using warm water in your mouth and on the denture, then slip them in. That helped me. Everyone is different, possibly iced water would work instead.
Some of my sorest spots where the injection sites. If you have some orajel, dab it on those sites and that might help too.
Warm salt water gentle rinses will help with the soreness. Just hold it in your mouth and move your face side to side for thirty seconds. Doing this several times a day will help a lot.
Good luck...keep us posted.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement! When I called the dentist they said come in Tues. Obviously that won't work, they'll see me later today. I wish they had offered advice like yours, orajel, etc... I will let you know how it goes and thanks again. A lot of sad painful stories on this site and I sure hope mine will be a happy one very soon!!!
MsRidetheWind

Rochester, NY

#807 Sep 2, 2010
I have a question for fellow new denture wearers...Were you tired after the extractions?? I seem to need a nap every evening. I'm not sure if it's just from being depressed (yeah, this is a bummer and I know it shouldn't be) but I really feel wiped out... I just wonder if anyone else felt this way and if there's a physical reason for it.(I'm not THAT bummed out!) PS, The dentist "took a little off the top" and I can put my dentures in without crying in pain.
Angel

Santee, CA

#808 Sep 2, 2010
Yes! I was EXHAUSTED for days afterward! I think it was mostly because I was SO STRESSED and anxious from the time I found out I had to have the extractions until the day it actually happened. Once it happened it was like all of the energy (and life) was just sapped out of me ... for days and days ... about 2 weeks anyway ... and I slept during the day - didn't even want to get out of my pajamas .... I was a big mess - and sad .... very, very sad ... Depressed, yes ... and at the same time resigned.
I am glad that you're denture is more comfortable in and out ....
You sound like you're doing pretty good? I guess you're off until after the LD weekend?

Denver, CO

#809 Sep 2, 2010
Exhausted, yes! Not necessarily just from extractions but even from my most recent surgery last Monday. I do think depression contributes to that exhaustion when depression is present but when depression is not present, being exhausted is still likely.

Even if we have planned the surgery, and even if we "sleep" through it as I did, it's still a trauma to the body and the body needs time to recover.

I slept most of the afternoon and I never nap. I know my body will tell me what it needs and I should listen. We should all cut our selves some slack following surgery.
sharon

Richmond, VA

#810 Sep 3, 2010
i have full upper an bottom dentures. they had to extract 27. i cant eat with them or talk with me. i wish i had known what to expect when i decided to have this procedure done. i hate that i did it and after reading all of the post i feel like it not going to get any better.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cleaning dentures with soft relines (Apr '10) 2 hr Ddd 76
Best soft reline you have every had!! I should ... 2 hr CAPCAPCAB 2
Porcelain vs. acrylic? 3 hr bradleyheathhays 1
scared, getting full new top denture tommorow (Jan '12) 5 hr Doody 197
Full Dentures are the WRONG CHOICE!!! (Feb '12) Mon Girl78hood 474
new dentures are stuck help !!! (Mar '12) May 21 Kspaulding 20
I Removed the Pallet from My Upper Denture (Oct '16) May 21 Girlhood78 16
More from around the web