new denture wearer
Angel

Santee, CA

#61 Oct 9, 2008
I went 2 days ago .... they took digital xrays and couldn't find anything wrong, except they say the denture is a bad fit and that is why there is a new one being made. What makes me gag is the pallet .... as much as they trim it back, it seems as thought my pallet is very short going from hard to soft area .... I have never been able to wear partials for the same reason ... so my last bridge actually was 7 teeth attached .... they did that to get rid of a plastic pallet in the partials. I don't know what a boney ridge is .... the denture seems to put pressure on the end area of where my teeth were removed. That is the only spot .... that's why I am so hopeful that the new denture will fit better. I gag when I brush my teeth .... hah! Does that tell you anything?? I was a real fun pregnant woman (a million years ago)...
Anyway .... that is why I am so looking forward to the overdenture ... NO MORE PALLET!
You sound like you are doing great ... you are a great inspiration to anyone who is reading this ... I probably represent the minority ... but I don't think I am the only one with a gagging problem .... just one of the more vocal (now, don't you feel sorry for my husband who has to listen to me?? haha)
karen

Venice, FL

#62 Oct 10, 2008
its been almost 3 months for me and they seem to be ok so far I use fixadent powder it works great! I cant wait until my final fitting at 6 months maybe i wont need the powder anymore. the first three weeks were tough but you will be able to eat normaly soon hang in there it gets better.
Angel

Santee, CA

#63 Oct 11, 2008
I started using the Polident strips .... how the heck to you get this glue out of your pallet and not gag??? Thanks for the words of encouragement.... can you bite into a sandwich??? Mmmmmmm I so miss that.
Mary Ann

Hood River, OR

#64 Oct 13, 2008
Angel wrote:
I went 2 days ago .... they took digital xrays and couldn't find anything wrong, except they say the denture is a bad fit and that is why there is a new one being made. What makes me gag is the pallet .... as much as they trim it back, it seems as thought my pallet is very short going from hard to soft area .... I have never been able to wear partials for the same reason ... so my last bridge actually was 7 teeth attached .... they did that to get rid of a plastic pallet in the partials. I don't know what a boney ridge is .... the denture seems to put pressure on the end area of where my teeth were removed. That is the only spot .... that's why I am so hopeful that the new denture will fit better. I gag when I brush my teeth .... hah! Does that tell you anything?? I was a real fun pregnant woman (a million years ago)...
Anyway .... that is why I am so looking forward to the overdenture ... NO MORE PALLET!
You sound like you are doing great ... you are a great inspiration to anyone who is reading this ... I probably represent the minority ... but I don't think I am the only one with a gagging problem .... just one of the more vocal (now, don't you feel sorry for my husband who has to listen to me?? haha)
No, Angel ... You are not the only one with gagging problems. Hopefully the new denture will take care of that. I am glad to hear that everything else turned out okay.

FYI - Bony ridges are pieces or shards of bone that protrude from the rest of the bone mass under the gums. Sometimes when pressure is applied, pain or discomfort may occur. My Dad had that and it took him almost a year to have taken care of... very stubborn. But after that was taken care of, the pain and tenderness in that area were alleviated.

I was called into work on Friday (I'm a substitute teacher for my daughter's school). Being that it was my first time back in front of a class since the operation I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't have problems with my dentures slipping in front of the kids. I tried using Fixodent adhesive and you're right it's hard to get off the roof of the mouth. But it wouldn't stick to the denture. I think that's because of the softliner. So I ended up teaching without it and had no problems, thank God. While I was trying to scrape that adhesive off of the roof of my mouth I started gagging and thought of you...
Angel

Santee, CA

#65 Oct 13, 2008
Ha ... I THINK that is the first time someone thought of me while they were gagging!
I am using the strips ... they hold it pretty well ... I have devised a way to get the gunk off the pallet and the denture ... I use a DAMP gauze ... and then of course, I have to take the rest off with my brush ... icky.
Yes ... 2 more days with this ill fitting thing ... I too hope that a new denture is the answer and that I'm not just completely physco (sp).
Okay, maybe I do have a "bony ridge" ... a little bump on the outside of my gum?? Yep, and that is where the denture rubs.
Good for you! Back to work ...! Kids can be really cruel sometimes .... I am glad that the denture stayed put. Mine came out once when we were visiting with friends ... I hated that.
June

Washington, DC

#66 Oct 16, 2008
Next week I go in for my extractions (7) and upper dentures. I'm excited and nervous. My dentist said everything looks good so far, but they may be a little loose at first until they "seat" and then they should be OK. He also said if I had any problems to call right away and they would fit me in to make adjustments as needed.

He said if I was nervous about slipping I could use an adhesive but said I shouldn't make a habit of it.

I've already prepped Dawg that she won't have much time for napping because I will be talking to her incessantly - around the house, during the walks and even while she sleeps. ha ha

To carry me through the "soft food" stage, I've laid in a stash of Ensure, V8 juice and oatmeal. I steamed and pureed some vegetables into soups and stored in the freezer, and bought some fruit to make smoothies. If I go hungry, it will be my own fault.

I know this is going to be a big learning curve - any suggestions to get through the first couple weeks - which apparently is the average adapt time?

Thanks
June

Washington, DC

#67 Oct 16, 2008
ooops, sorry about the double post - don't know how that happened.
Mary Ann

Hood River, OR

#68 Oct 17, 2008
June wrote:
Next week I go in for my extractions (7) and upper dentures. I'm excited and nervous. My dentist said everything looks good so far, but they may be a little loose at first until they "seat" and then they should be OK. He also said if I had any problems to call right away and they would fit me in to make adjustments as needed.
He said if I was nervous about slipping I could use an adhesive but said I shouldn't make a habit of it.
I've already prepped Dawg that she won't have much time for napping because I will be talking to her incessantly - around the house, during the walks and even while she sleeps. ha ha
To carry me through the "soft food" stage, I've laid in a stash of Ensure, V8 juice and oatmeal. I steamed and pureed some vegetables into soups and stored in the freezer, and bought some fruit to make smoothies. If I go hungry, it will be my own fault.
I know this is going to be a big learning curve - any suggestions to get through the first couple weeks - which apparently is the average adapt time?
Thanks
It sounds like you've prepared for the worst which will definitely help you get through this time. For me, the third day was the worst but it just got better from there. Also, after two weeks you should be adapting well. But remember, it's different for everyone ... be patient.

Good luck!
Angel

Santee, CA

#69 Oct 19, 2008
I wish you well ... probably the worst will be trying to get used to all of the plastic in your mouth..... I just can't deal with the plastic pallet thing ... but, like I said in the earlier posts .... everyone's mouth is shaped differently and most people adapt quite well ... It has been a nightmare for me. I got my new denture last Thursday, it fits much better than the temporary that was made before my teeth were pulled ... but, I still cannot chew meat, or lettuces ... or bite down without the darn thing tipping and I end up chomping all over it. My pallet does not create suction well.
You have a great attitude .... I think you will do well ... probably the worst part is sitting in the chair waiting for the extractions to begin .... Let us know ..... you have the same foods that I STILL eat everyday ... except I eat yogurt ... a lot.

Angel
June

Washington, DC

#70 Oct 20, 2008
I forgot yogurt!

My dentist mentioned that my dentures "might" be loose for a short time until they seat.

I don't understand this - it was my understanding that the immediates would be tight intially because the gums would be swollen.

Can someone please explain this?(I know we are all different, but it's the fear of the unknown that gets to us the most - if I have an understanding of the "whys" it's easier to accept and adapt.)

Last night I had nightmares that everytime I opened my mouth, my teeth dropped out of my mouth. Tomorrow night, I'll probably have a nightmare about stepping on them.

The extractions will be a breeze - I'll probably be so sleep deprived I'll sleep through the whole thing. ;0D

So glad you are doing so much better. My dentist said suction should not be a problem because I have an average to deep pallet.
Mary Ann

Hood River, OR

#71 Oct 20, 2008
Huh, that is odd. My top denture was pretty tight for the first month after the extractions. My dentist had put in a softliner which helped mold the denture to my gums. Now it is loose to the point that I had to start using adhesive strips.(Thanks Angel for the suggestion!) They work pretty well.

Don't worry about it until it happens. If and when it does, there are ways to remedy the situation.
Mary Ann

Hood River, OR

#72 Oct 20, 2008
Hey Angel! I'm glad to hear that the new denture fits better. Even though you are still having some difficulty with certain foods, it is temporary. You'll be having steak dinners with salad on the side before you know it!

As you may have seen in the previous post to June I had to start wearing adhesive strips a few days ago because my dentist couldn't add any more material to the softliner. My gums have shrunk so much. He wants me to wait a couple more months before he orders the permanent top denture. Then he's going to make it into a snap on. That'll be great because I love my bottom snap on.

In the meantime, the strips have been working so well that I don't have to worry about the denture slipping during talking or eating. As I told you, I tried the gooey adhesive and that was a mess! I also tried the sea bond wafers but they wouldn't stick. Also, they were kind of a pain because I had to trim them to fit and I ended up using only half.

Hang in there!
Angel

Santee, CA

#73 Oct 21, 2008
Well, MA .... My new denture is loose already too! Seems like you and me are truly shrinking violets .. lol ...

Same with me ... they will not activate the posts until Feb 5 ... and are making the snap in then .... So, you have your bottom and you love it?? Is it true? Is it much like your own?? I was told to use the powder now .... is that the gooey mess one you are talking about .... ick. I cannot stand anymore garbage in my mouth.

June ... I hope you are doing okay .... I am thinking about you ... boy am I glad that is over with ... you will be too ... no more dreading it.

Let us know how you do with your new denture ... yes, dreams come true ... one time or another they will slip and come out ... part of the process unfortunately! Do what the doc's say ... and get lots of rest and take your meds!!
June

Washington, DC

#74 Oct 22, 2008
Well, the deed was completed 6 hours ago and so far so good, except a little bleeding from the extractions if I push the front up to hug the gums.

I was told this is normal the dentures will seat better when the extraction areas form a clot.

Unlike most here, I was told to take them out in the evening when I go to bed - starting tonight.

I've spent quite a bit of time admiring my new smile, and whistling when ever I try to form a word with an S in it.

The denture doesn't feel "large" in my mouth, and the teeth are smaller than I expected but oh my to have a full set of upper teeth is such a lovely sight!

Keeping my fingers that the rest of the process continues along a smooth path.

And ... thanks for the tip about the Adhesive Strips. I had to stop by Target to get dog food on my way to the dentist and found them on sale.
Mary Ann

Hood River, OR

#75 Oct 22, 2008
That's funny ... I remember telling my husband, after getting home after the extractions, that I thought my teeth looked small. He told me not to worry because my face was swollen and they would look fine in time. He was right.

I also remember that I couldn't stop looking at myself in the mirror from the time I got home. It was so cool to see a beautiful smile smiling back at me! I still check myself out whenever I pass by a mirror, I can't help it!

In time the whistling 'S's will stop. I'm still working on the lisping 'TH's. But it's getting better.

I hope those adhesive strips work for you. They're on clearance at my Target so I bought quite a few boxes to last a few months. They work really well for me. They come off the denture easily and to remove them from the roof of my mouth I use a stiff toothbrusth to scrape the strips off.

I was told to keep in my dentures for the first 24 hours so that the softliner could mold to my gums. After that first day, I've been taking them out nightly. I remember the thing that bugged me about taking them out was the taste of blood and raw meat. But after a couple of weeks that went away. Now it's just part of my nightly routine.

I hope all goes smoothly with your recovery...
Mary Ann

Hood River, OR

#76 Oct 22, 2008
Angel wrote:
Well, MA .... My new denture is loose already too! Seems like you and me are truly shrinking violets .. lol ...
Same with me ... they will not activate the posts until Feb 5 ... and are making the snap in then .... So, you have your bottom and you love it?? Is it true? Is it much like your own?? I was told to use the powder now .... is that the gooey mess one you are talking about .... ick. I cannot stand anymore garbage in my mouth.
June ... I hope you are doing okay .... I am thinking about you ... boy am I glad that is over with ... you will be too ... no more dreading it.
Let us know how you do with your new denture ... yes, dreams come true ... one time or another they will slip and come out ... part of the process unfortunately! Do what the doc's say ... and get lots of rest and take your meds!!
Hi Angel ... My bottom snap on is temporary. My denturist made my bottom immediate into a snap on by removing most of the 'gum' part and placing rubber inserts that snap onto two 'uncovered' elevated posts. It's great because I don't have to worry about slipping. I'll get my permanent bottom teeth in about a month.

How is the powder working for you? From a couple of comments that I've seen, users seem to love it. I looked but couldn't find it. The adhesive strips work really well for me. The gooey stuff that I was talking about was the Fixodent that comes in a tube. I only tried that once. It took quite awhile to get that stuff off my denture and roof of my mouth... yuck!
June

Washington, DC

#77 Oct 23, 2008
A couple questions.

Yesterday, my gums were still bleeding after 6 hours, and oozing through the denture, so I finally took it out and used tea bags to stop the bleeding and then called it a day.

I'm home through the weekend, taking it easy because I didn't know what to expect. Kinda glad I did.

Today, when I got up, I went through the normal routine, put the denture in and went about my day. It went easily with a nice snug fit. During the day I ate (oatmeal, Yogurt, Ensure and Tomato soup) I also had some green tea.

There was a little discomfort, especially after the tea, but nothing serious. Is this normal?

Also, after about 10 hours, my gums started to throb so I removed the denture and rinsed with salt water. The instant I removed the denture (it was very snug), the pressure was relieved and the throbbing stopped. Should I have left it in and just grin and bear it?

I probably should add that I'm not taking any pain medicine. Until this incident there's been a little discomfort, but nothing that required medication.

I'm not sure if this "throbbing" is a temporary thing that will subside when the gums heal or I'm starting a bad habit that needs to be broken now.

Anyone been here? Thanks

======

Also - throughout the day I've been practicing talking and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Not ready to be a radio announcer, but I think I'll be OK when I go back for my appointment next week.
Angel

Santee, CA

#78 Oct 23, 2008
ALL normal .... it is the pressure on the tramatized gums from the denture that makes them throb. My dentist said when it hurts .... take them out. I had a lot of pain at one time, but now the pain is gone and only the denture itself is bugging me. Unlike you and Maryann, I HAD a wonderful smile ... it was all bridges, but mine, and supported by my own teeth. That is what is the hardest thing for me ... the denture doesn't look, or feel normal to me.
I have not bought the powder yet ... but they have it at the local CVS ... I just need to get out of here and run my errands .... tomorrow.
I like the things your dentist does for you Mann .... I don't get my bottom snap-in's until the top is ready ... they want to do both at once. I hate to wish time away, but I am so looking forward to end of February .... I am going to walk out to the end of the pier at Pacific Beach and throw this denture into the Pacific.
Haha ... I am probably NOT the best advocate of dentures!
You guys make me ashamed of myself!
June

Washington, DC

#79 Oct 25, 2008
Well, I was hoping I would sail through the first week, but where would the challenge be in that? I'm going into the 4th day and experiencing what I believe is one of those infamous "sore spots" on my gum.

Actually, it feels like a "bone bump" (don't know how else to describe it) at the top of the gum over the eye tooth extraction. If the denture hits this area of my gum just right, it's a shooting pain that definitely gets my attention.

Would this fall under the category of an adjustment concern? With Advil, it's manageable if I don't bite down or swallow hard - but if an adjustment can alleviate the pain, that would be a very good thing. Needless to say, this is putting a damper on my "speech practice sessions" .

I'm sure each adjustment is different, but what is usually done?

Also, and this is kind of embarrassing, when I remove the denture for the salt rinse, there is a most unpleasant odor. After rinsing the denture and my mouth, the odor is gone - so I'm hoping this is attributable to the healing gums and will not be as noticeable once gums are healed.

Of course, this has to happen on a weekend, after the office is closed, so it will be Monday before I can call.

Sorry if I'm coming off like a whiner, but even with all my research, some things happen that I can't find answers to anywhere but from people who have been there and tell it like it is.

Thanks again
Mary Ann

Hood River, OR

#80 Oct 25, 2008
As I had previously explained to Angel, I think you might have a bony ridge. It is a piece or shard of bone that protrudes from the rest of the bone mass under the gums. I believe that it can go away with shrinkage but in my Dad's case he had to have his removed a year after extractions. He had this sore spot that made wearing his upper denture uncomfortable so I made him go see his dentist. It was removed and the sore spot has disappeared.

Hopefully, the dentist will be able to make some kind of adjustment to alleviate the pain. My denturist made a softliner for my denture which acted as a buffer between the denture and healing gums so I didn't have any discomfort. For me an adjustment was to have the dentures shaved down, or material added to the softliner.

As far as the odor goes, I'm sure that's normal. It's probably from the dried blood and healing gums. My doctor gave me a prescribed mouth rinse that helped with that. Bad breath is also another by product of my old teeth that I don't have anymore.

You're not a whiner ... you just hit a couple of unexpected bumps and it's normal to be flustered about them. It'll get better ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Porcelain vs. acrylic? Fri J Mo 5
Cleaning dentures with soft relines (Apr '10) Fri Mindy 77
Best soft reline you have every had!! I should ... Thu bradleyheathhays 3
Cheer up New Denture Wearers (Sep '08) May 25 WidgeWife 5,886
scared, getting full new top denture tommorow (Jan '12) May 24 Doody 197
Full Dentures are the WRONG CHOICE!!! (Feb '12) May 22 Girl78hood 474
new dentures are stuck help !!! (Mar '12) May 21 Kspaulding 20
More from around the web