Duffy Malherbe

South Africa

#21 Aug 26, 2008
If you need dentures, do yourself a favor and go to a denturist or a dentist with a really good denture reputation, otherwise you will SUFFER !!! If there is no denturists in your state, consider a denture vacation. Go to another state where denturists are regulated and licenced to practice, or even go to Canada. Check out what the denturist fee will be, add the cost of travelling there and back, plus accomodation and you will still save compared to what the average dentist will cost. The Bonus? you will have had a holiday on the flipside of the best denture treatment you can get.
dont do it

UK

#22 Aug 28, 2008
SAllanG wrote:
Had my uppers extracted on June 2. Barely got my dentures last week. They look great. However, I can't eat worth a damn with them, much less swallow or talk with them. I sound like Sylvester the Cat, "thuffering thuckatash." They creep me out and I hate them. I whole-heartedly regret ever agreeing to this fate. If anyone is contemplating having full upper teeth, DON'T DO IT! You WILL regret it!
totally agree had my uppers removed two weeks ago,yes still healing eating nothing but soup and eggs,nothing said to prepare me for the outcome,looking at my new teeth they look nothing like my old ones all different shapes never mind looking like im wearing a gum shield when i do get them in! one thing i wish i had never done !
Connie

South Africa

#23 Sep 2, 2008
Dear co- sufferers,
I had my uppers removed in one go roughly 15 years ago. It was hell, but I managed fine considering the dreadfull plate that made me feel nausious all the time(ut felt so thick and large I never thought I would ever adjust-but years later, I safely say, I hardly know the diff anymore. THEN.. a month ago, it was time for the lowers to go.I thought well, I had the uppers done, and they kinda chewed up my natural lower ones so badly, that I had almost no teeth left in my lower jaw anymore, so they had to go.

I remember having porblems with bony ridges after my upper teeth were extracted and they became so inflamed I actually INSISTEd the dovtor remove those in the chair when I went for a follow up after a couple of weeks. The same dam thing happened now again and it hurts like crazy. I will do well enough and cope oki if its just not for these fragment like funny protrusions thats hurting me so bad I cant eat or chew at all with my new dentures. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

To all of you out there...My maxillo says one can get the mini implants at any time.It works great ,especially with the lower teeth that ussually are the problematic ones between the two.
I opted to have 2 implants done and wehn they did my lower teeth extraction, they did the implants and all I now gotta do, is wait for a couple of months and then I can have my clip ons.

If I can just convince this dentist to get rid of the bony things that is killing me, I will be fine.Thing is, the dentist dont want to remove'em saying their supposed to stay to keep one's gum from caving in. What a bunchy of bullsh@t I think!
Nancy

Philadelphia, PA

#24 Sep 11, 2008
Thanks, Rebel. Next time I'm in an area where there is one (the closest one is on the opposite side of the city), I'll have to remember that - it would most likely be cheaper there too!:)

Since: Sep 08

Atlanta, GA

#25 Sep 14, 2008
I had all of my teeth extracted on the same day and other than a little discomfort that first day - I've had no problems with that part of the process. No pain, no problems with eating, no weight loss, no headaches - nothing. I did not get the immediate dentures - instead I chose to wait 6-months before even considering dentures. I've not been fitted with my own set yet - but have been using an instant denture I found online that I actually like. I can talk clearly, I can chew food (though I remove the bottom when I eat) and no one seems the wiser. I wear through these quite fast and at $165.00 for a set it can get expensive - but beyond that I've not experienced any of the pain you guys have and so I suspect that not all are as painful and life altering as you have had to deal with. My issue has been finding affordable dentures not wearing them. I think waiting for 6-months was the best thing I could do. The little pieces of bone that pop out of the gums had stopped. The swelling and sensitivity had stopped and so there was not an ounce of pain after I tried my first temporary denture. Perhaps the immediate denture route is not the way to go for some. I guess my point is don't be scared based on what you read here - not everyone will experience the same level of discomfort and pain these people have.
Rebecca Z

Carnegie, PA

#26 Sep 16, 2008
Nancy wrote:
<quoted text>
Benzodent also works very well on sore spots. So far, however, the only place I've seen it is at Rite Aid.
Going into my 3rd week now, and still can't eat with them in, though I can do just about everything else normally.
I think I still look somewhat like a baboon when I smile - my face seems so unbalanced. I may have to get a perm just to balance the rest of my face out! lol
Marie, Thanks for this post. I, too, hail from Pittsburgh & am about to have my remaining 9 upper teth removed with an immediate denture standing by. HELP!
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#27 Sep 17, 2008
I had all of my uppers pulled on Aug 5 ... it has been 6 weeks .... 4 with the immediate dentures. I have been back to the dentist 2x to try to make them more comfortable. They still make me gag and nauseous and I have no appetite at all bacause of that. I opted for a full upper implant, but I still have to wear this "thing" for another 5 mos. Because I couldn't chew, I had an attack of diveticulits the first week after the removal ... here's a tip. Don't eat things that your stomach can't digest for you ... in my case I was eating vegetable soup ... that has corn, and well ... I guess that set off the attack ... the first I've ever had. I hate the thought of food - I finally started taking an antidepressant yesterday ... I certainly hope it will help me through this funk. I feel sorry for all of us .... I can't wait until I get my implants .... I am going to thrown this denture as far as I can.
Abbi

Albuquerque, NM

#28 Sep 19, 2008
I just had all of my teeth pulled 3 days ago. I was looking for some advice, when I came across this post from Renee. This is exactly what I'm going through! I'm in so much pain, more pain from the dentures rubbing my gums raw, than where all my teeth were extracted. I'm miserable, and depressed. They tried to adjust them yesterday, but even that adjustment didnt help. The uppers fit ok I guess, better than the lowers, but they make my lip stick out, and it looks bucktoothed to me, which I was never bucktoothed before, so I hate it. They rub under my lip and its cut under there now. The dentist says I have to keep them in, and I havent been able to eat, but even without eating, they are rubbing and making my mouth raw. The lowers dont even fit, I could swear they arent the right ones, biting down on them is horrible, they dig in and cut...and they just plain hurt. Its only been a few days but I am so depressed over it. I cant imagine an improvement at this point. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, its a nightmare.
Renee wrote:
Well I had all my teeth pulled from top and bottom and was fitted with immediate dentures right after surgery. They pulled like 28 teeth I believe. It has been 2 weeks and it has been aweful. The teeth are beautiful, but I haven't been able to enjoy their beauty because they hurt so much. I have been back to the dentist 4 times to have them adjusted or shaved down some, but I still am having pain and tons of canker sores with them. The more they hurt and the more I can't eat, the more I am frustrated. I just keep telling myself that things will get better. We are all probably wondering the same things..... when will I ever be able to eat real food, will I ever be able to talk right again and will the pain finally go away where I can enjoy and adjust to these teeth.
Abbi

Albuquerque, NM

#29 Sep 19, 2008
oh, and I forgot to mention that, I'm also having bad headaches, nausea...I cant swallow, or talk, and my mouth feels full too. I think I'm having all the bad things. On top of that, if anyone is considering this, research it carefully. My dentist said it needed to be done, because my teeth were all fractured from epilepsy and I couldnt afford to keep fixing them, there wasnt much tooth left, most of it was filling on all of them. But they didnt tell me how bad it was going to be. They said it would be much better, and yes the dentures are beautiful...but I am not enjoying them at all. When I went in to the office, they immediately numbed me up, which hurt like hell...and then immediately started pulling. My mother said they should put you to sleep for it, but not me, I was awake for all the ripping and cracking and digging. It was horrible. I was so traumatized before they were half done, I was shaking uncontrollably, and couldnt help but silently cry through it. I felt some of it too, and my dentist said he couldnt numb me any more because that would have been dangerous.
I dont mean to scare anyone, but I'm only in to 3 days of it and its been pure hell!:(
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#30 Sep 19, 2008
Abbi wrote:
oh, and I forgot to mention that, I'm also having bad headaches, nausea...I cant swallow, or talk, and my mouth feels full too. I think I'm having all the bad things. On top of that, if anyone is considering this, research it carefully. My dentist said it needed to be done, because my teeth were all fractured from epilepsy and I couldnt afford to keep fixing them, there wasnt much tooth left, most of it was filling on all of them. But they didnt tell me how bad it was going to be. They said it would be much better, and yes the dentures are beautiful...but I am not enjoying them at all. When I went in to the office, they immediately numbed me up, which hurt like hell...and then immediately started pulling. My mother said they should put you to sleep for it, but not me, I was awake for all the ripping and cracking and digging. It was horrible. I was so traumatized before they were half done, I was shaking uncontrollably, and couldnt help but silently cry through it. I felt some of it too, and my dentist said he couldnt numb me any more because that would have been dangerous.
I dont mean to scare anyone, but I'm only in to 3 days of it and its been pure hell!:(
Abbi, you poor thing. That was a very traumatic surgery ... I have a feeling that all of us are living in a dental hell. It's got to get better for us .... what could be worse than you've already been through? If you can hang in there with all you've just been through .... I will too. Good luck to all of us, and I hope we have better postings in a week or so ...
Abbi

Albuquerque, NM

#31 Sep 20, 2008
thank you Angel, I'm sure trying to hang in there. I dont know if this was a bad thing to do, but I bought some of that medicine for canker sores and denture pain. I tried it on all the raw spots that the dentures are rubbing, that helped alright, but I got desperate tonite and just rubbed it all over, inside the dentures, then put them in my mouth. After a few minutes, all the sore spots started getting numb...and it feels much better.
I'm still feeling very depressed over it all, but maybe I can eat something while its numb, I hope.

I'm thinking I may have to go to the hospital tomorrow though, my jaw is swelling up, and I'm afraid there may be an infection starting.:(
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#32 Sep 21, 2008
Absolutely .... seek help .... your swelling should be going down, not up! I too have an appt tomorrow .... I have such a bad gag reflex, it seems that the dentist just can't cut this thing up far enough to stop me from gagging and being nauseous ... I have just given up on eating ...no appetite like that ... I bought some Ensure, and V8 and yogurt .... stuff I don't have to chew ... mostly now I just take my denture out ... I could not wear this for the rest of my life .... I am glad that I had the implants put in even if it will be another 4 months before I can use them.
We'll hang in there together ...
Keep me posted on how you're doing.
Mary Ann

Los Angeles, CA

#33 Sep 21, 2008
Oh Abbi ... I have been reading your comments since Friday and I am praying for you. I, too, had all of my teeth (23) pulled out on Tuesday. It's now five days since and I am feeling much better. I believe that is because my dentist put in something he called pillows into my immediate dentures. It's like a layer of clear silicone on the dentures that act like a buffer. The only drawback is that my dentures are a bit more elevated making it harder to close my lips but they're temporary until my gums heal. I also agree with Angel. At this point your swelling should be subsiding. Please see a doctor! Good luck!
Abbi

Albuquerque, NM

#34 Sep 23, 2008
well, I called the office and no one returned my call...so I spent the last 2 days in bed. My feet swelled up huge. The swelling in my jaw went down...now I have a big ol bruise on my cheek. its just lovely... but I think the swelling in my feet has me the most concerned...I'm not sure whats going on. I still cant eat. I'm really nauseas today, and still very sore. I took the dentures out for a couple hours yesterday to give my mouth a rest....now I see why the dentist said to keep them in...it hurt really bad putting them back in. I cant imagine getting used to this feeling of my mouth being so full. I feel like a football player with one of those huge mouth guards. Its so awkward. I thought I couldnt talk with the dentures in...but when I took them out yesterday, I couldnt talk at all.*sigh* does it really get better? how long will it take? its been a week now since I had them all pulled. I go back tomorrow to get the stitches out...and I'm going to make them shave them down more, they just fit awful right now. thank you so much everyone, I dont know what I would have done, had I not been able to talk about this at all to anyone. I hope your all doing better.
Mary Ann

Los Angeles, CA

#35 Sep 23, 2008
I'm glad to hear that your jaw swelling has gone down. But I am concerned about your feet swelling up. You should call your doctor! I'm also concerned that your dentist is already taking out your stitches. Mine don't come until next Tuesday. At this point I can see that my gums are healing nicely from a week ago but there's still alot of healing to go. And I know what you mean when you said that it's harder to speak without the dentures. It feels like your mouth is going to implode! I also really hate that taste of raw meat and blood. Ug! As far as the eating goes have you tried pudding cups? I did the liquid diet for about two days and I started gagging on the Ensure on the third day. So I tried a pudding cup, the one with chocolate and vanilla, and it was great! It seemed to help with the nausea. Abbi, it's going to get better...it has too, or else they would be alot of toothless suicide victims. JK
Abbi

Albuquerque, NM

#36 Sep 23, 2008
lol thats true! thanks for the chuckle...but yeah actually, I had some pudding last night, but I couldnt handle much of it, too much sugar makes me sick to my stomach. I have only had a couple Ensures also, they just arent going down real well, but then again, nothing is. After a couple bites, I feel sick again. Yeah...my mom says that she's more comfortable without her dentures in, and she talks and eats fine without them. My mom has really bad heart trouble, she's had open heart surgery, and she's kind of flipping out that they didnt give me antibiotics before pulling the teeth...also that my feet are swollen. She said that because of the heart trouble in the family, they should be watching it more careful. I've never had heart trouble, but then again, they never have checked me for it either...they just watch my epilepsy and thats about it.
Do you think its too soon for them to take out my stitches? Maybe they'll leave them in when they look at them tomorrow...
How much are we supposed to clean the dentures? I've looked it up, it doesnt really say how often to do it...so I clean them about 5 times a day. With all the bleeding thats going on, I cant stand the taste. Is that too much?
Mary Ann

Los Angeles, CA

#37 Sep 23, 2008
My doctor put me on antibiotics three days before the surgery and I am about to take my last pill. Between that and the prescribed mouth rinse I feel that is why my gums are healing so well.

You really do need to see a doctor about your swelling feet especially if you do have a history of heart problems in your family. I am sorry to hear about your epilepsy but that's even more reason to be concerned about the swelling.

I do not think that you are ready to have the stitches taken out. But that's based on what my dentist has told me. Talk to yours and let him/her know about your concerns of having yours taken out too soon.

My Mom has dentures, too, and I have never seen her without them. She just told me that sleeps with them and takes them out for daily brushing. Once in awhile she does soak them. She's had this same pair for over 20 years! She eats everything! She has been my mentor during this process.

I am sorry about the food not going down too well. You have to keep trying until you find something that you can tolerate. On Sunday I had some baked potato soup and it was so creamy so it was easy going down. I also like Big Stick popsicles ... mushy, of course. They're good for you,too ... 15% of the daily required vitamin C.

My dentist instructed me to at least rinse after every meal. Also, brush them at nighttime and soak them overnight with a cleanser tablet. I think that the more you take them out the greater the chance of dropping and breaking them. So, be careful!
Angel

El Cajon, CA

#38 Sep 24, 2008
My stitches had to stay in for exactly 2 weeks! I guess every dentist has his own reasons ..... It has been about 7 weeks now since my teeth were taken ... my gums are still VERY sore when I eat - but after the 3rd adjustment to my denture at least the gagging is over with and now I can swallow. Hotdogs are my main source of protein, and beans .... but I still drink Ensure everyday for the calories and I take a daily multi-vitamin, drink at least 1 V-8, bottle of juice, glass of milk and a carton of yogurt. All good for you and all the things you need to maintain some sort of good diet to keep good health going. And Progresso soups ... good nutrients and ingredients and easy to chew ...
I don't know when or if I will ever get used to having a plastic lined mouth. This is amazing ... my mom too, wore dentures .... I wish she was still alive to encourage me ... I know she would. She was always so grateful to have dentures. She was a new bride and 23 years old when she lost her teeth, and had to go without teeth for 6 mos because it was war time and my parents couldn't afford dentures for her. She finally saw an add for dentures in a magazine - they sent her a block of wax with directions to make a mold at home. She sent the mold and a picture of herself, smiling, back to them .... a couple of weeks later she received the dentures and wore them for about 30 years before she got a 2nd set. She always swore that her mail order dentures were so much better.
And we think we have it bad. Well ... we do .... just different.
Abbi .... you listen to your mom and go get that swelling in your feet looked at ... teeth, heart and swelling all go together .... promise us you will.
Mary Ann - you and Abbi are "meant to be" .... I hope you become good friends.
xxoo
Mary Ann

Los Angeles, CA

#39 Sep 25, 2008
Angel wrote:
My stitches had to stay in for exactly 2 weeks! I guess every dentist has his own reasons ..... It has been about 7 weeks now since my teeth were taken ... my gums are still VERY sore when I eat - but after the 3rd adjustment to my denture at least the gagging is over with and now I can swallow. Hotdogs are my main source of protein, and beans .... but I still drink Ensure everyday for the calories and I take a daily multi-vitamin, drink at least 1 V-8, bottle of juice, glass of milk and a carton of yogurt. All good for you and all the things you need to maintain some sort of good diet to keep good health going. And Progresso soups ... good nutrients and ingredients and easy to chew ...
I don't know when or if I will ever get used to having a plastic lined mouth. This is amazing ... my mom too, wore dentures .... I wish she was still alive to encourage me ... I know she would. She was always so grateful to have dentures. She was a new bride and 23 years old when she lost her teeth, and had to go without teeth for 6 mos because it was war time and my parents couldn't afford dentures for her. She finally saw an add for dentures in a magazine - they sent her a block of wax with directions to make a mold at home. She sent the mold and a picture of herself, smiling, back to them .... a couple of weeks later she received the dentures and wore them for about 30 years before she got a 2nd set. She always swore that her mail order dentures were so much better.
And we think we have it bad. Well ... we do .... just different.
Abbi .... you listen to your mom and go get that swelling in your feet looked at ... teeth, heart and swelling all go together .... promise us you will.
Mary Ann - you and Abbi are "meant to be" .... I hope you become good friends.
xxoo
Angel, I loved your story about your Mom's mail order dentures. Especially the part where you said that she was grateful to have them. I guess we all should be. Sorry to hear that she has passed, but I believe that she is with you still, encouraging you to be patient. It takes time but I know that we'll get used to them. Our Moms did and they didn't have the technology we do today.

Glad to hear that the gagging has stopped. We just have to keep getting the adjustments until they get it right. I get my stitches out on Tuesday and my first adjustments. My bottom floats when I have alot of liquid in my mouth. The upper has been sticking pretty well.

Unfortunately, I have been eating too well. I was hoping to lose at least 20 lbs! I've stopped at five. I've cut down substantially but my body is in famine mode where it is holding onto every calorie for dear life! Oh well ...

Take care and God Bless!
donna

Trenton, NJ

#40 Sep 25, 2008
any experience with what to do about a lower dentore that seems to big for your mouth or chin? It protrudes and you can see the boxy rectangular outline of the lower when my mouth is closed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need some advice on how to get started 3 hr wanna smile again 1
Low Cost Dental Implants In Costa Rica Cut Into... (Dec '12) 7 hr Donna WG 20
Dating and dentures (Jul '08) 15 hr freespirit 175
Learning to eat with dentures (Jun '09) 19 hr Sandy 1,278
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) 20 hr Sandy 1,037
Cheer up New Denture Wearers (Sep '08) 20 hr Sandy 5,401
Hybridge Dental Implants (Jul '12) 22 hr cinnamon0123 142
Denture Adhesives and Useful Tips for New Wearers (Feb '12) Sep 19 smiley 670
•••

Dentures People Search