Angel

El Cajon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2009

P.S. I just sprung for the all porcelain denture to go with the porcelain bottom bridges ..... my question all along has been what is the difference. My dentists both said the same thing .... they liked both - said patients liked the look of both - the tie-breaker came when one of my dentists said that with the porcelain I could chew ice! No joke ... he said the chewing surfaces of the the porcelain are harder and that people who needed a better chewing surface did much better with porcelain. He did not urge me to buy one or the other - he never down-played acrylic - as a matter of fact he sort of "leaned" toward the acrylic. But since I have a really touchy digestive system I have chosen to go with the more pricey porcelain. June is right - again - we must each weigh our options on the best advice we can get and make our own decisions ... we are the ones who have to live with this.
Mary Ann

Fontana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2009

Angel - Two more weeks, yea! Also, I'm glad that you've healed enough to start eating solid foods again. It's amazing how we take for granted the little things in life like hamburgers.

June - Re: the softliners, Angel is right. You can still use the powder, but you cannot use the cleanser tablets. They eat away at the liner. Also, my denturist gave me a bunch of toothbrushes with micro bristles. They are very gentle on my denture and prosthesis. But I still have to use a little elbow grease.

My Mom has been wearing full uppers and lowers without any problems. My Dad got a partial bottom 1 1/2 years ago and it took him about a year to get used to it but thankfully he's doing well and he's finally adjusted.

I think that you have made the right choice in opting for the snap ons. Just make sure that your implants are not the minis. Like I told Angel they have a 50% success rate. Those aren't good odds when you're paying a small fortune for them!
Junes

Annandale, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2009

I only overnight soak once a week - the rest of the time I brush and soak them in water overnight - that is the nights that I don't fall asleep with them in.

With the powder, they are so secure I sometimes forget I'm even wearing a denture.

I clean the powder off every night before I put them in the water soak. To me, it just seem that letting the powder build up on the dentures can be good for them.

It may be that I'm a little more conscientious about my dental hygiene now than before, but I want to keep the rest of my lower teeth. If it means spending more time each day, then I'll do whatever it takes.
Mary Ann

Fontana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2009

Nancy,

The snap-ons are worth it. Compared to the years of dental pain that I went through, this pain is minimal. There is recovery time after surgery where you will have to change your diet to liquids and soft foods, but that is temporary. Then there are the measurements, and wax impressions. These are to ensure that the implanted cylinders line up with the dentures.

When I had my immediate bottom denture turned into a snap on it was the first time in a couple of months, since the extractions, that I was able to eat steak. I was also eating peanut brittle! That's when I started gaining back some of the weight that I had lost after the extractions.
Jerry

Winter Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2009

I want to pass this little tib bit on to all who absolutly cannot endure having a full upper denture covering the pallet. I've had my dentures for six months and was bordering on depression because of my upper denture and the loss of all the good reasons we eat (besides nourishment). Two weeks ago I went to my work bench, took out my Dremel tool and cut the part of the denture out that covers the pallet so it looked like the lower denture, just a horse shoe shape. This little procedure turned out to be better than sex (not really). It makes me wonder why they make the upper denture different than the bottom.
Nancy

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2009

Thak you all for commenting. It helps so much to have your input. All my friends have either had dentures for a long time and are use to them or they have their own teeth so their helpful advice has been "get over it"; does not comfort me very much.

I have decided to get the implants for the bottom.
I will need the help of all of you to get through this part.

I started by having my top ten teeth extracted in Dec 08 and the bottom 9 in Jan so I realize I have been on a short journey compared to some of you.

I'll keep posting and look forward to it.
Susie

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2009

I am now 5 days after having both upper and lower teeth extracted and dentures put in immediately. It's been a real experience and I wish someone had told me what to expect. But things are getting better; the pain is practically gone. My main problem is eating and I guess that will come in time. I haven't been able to chew but I expect that to get better as my gums heal. I determined to make this work, so I'm going to take time and let my body adjust. It's a major thing to have all of your teeth pulled and dentures put in.
Mary Ann

Fontana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2009

Nancy,

Although I am an advocate of implants, I am also a realist. Not everyone can be a candidate for implants. You must be in good health and a non smoker. If you have a chronic disease such as diabetes, or an immune deficiency, implants are not for you. The failure rate of implant rejection increases with the aforementioned factors. Smoking is especially detrimental due to the unhealthy oral environment it causes making it more difficult for the surgery sites to heal.

Ultimately, implants are to way to go, especially for the lower jaw. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck to you!
Angel

El Cajon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2009

Don't worry Nancy ... we won't desert you. I am not that far ahead of you with implants in the bottom. I had 2 done 3 months ago and now 2 more put in 3 weeks ago. These last 2 .... in the back of the jaw are taking longer to heal and are irritated more easily than any of the others, top and bottom, that I have had put in.
We have a good support team here - I am glad that you have decided to invest in you.
audrey

Conway, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2009

I HAVE BEEN WEARING DENTURES SINCE I WAS 24 DUE TO BLUNT TRAUMA OF THE FACE. I AM ON MY SECOND SET OF DENTURES AS I AM NOW IN MY 40'S. I UNDERSTAND ALL TO CLEARLY HOW YOU FEEL. I THOUGHT I WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO TALK OR EAT OR EVEN KEEP THEM IN MY MOUTH. FIRST OF ALL, THIS WILL PASS. WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR TEETH EXTRACTED, YOU WILL HAVE SWELLING IN YOUR GUMS AND AS TIME GOES ON IT WILL GO DOWN. ALSO, YOU WILL HAVE PIECES OF BONE FRAGMENTS THAT WILL WORK OUT OF YOUR GUMS FROM TIME TO TIME. IT WAS MAYBE A YEAR BEFORE THE FRAGMENTS STOPPED WORKING THEIR WAY OUT. PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP ON YOUR DENTURES. THERE WERE TIMES WHEN I WAS FRUSTRATED AND WISHED FOR MY OWN TEETH BUT HANG IN THERE. ASK YOU DENTIST FOR A PRESCRIPTION FOR "KENALOG ORABASE". THIS IS A PASTE THAT YOU CAN PUT ON THE ULCERS THAT FORM WHERE YOUR DENTURE RUBS. MY DENTIST GAVE ME THIS AND IT WAS THE MAIN THING THAT HELPED ME MORE THAN ANYTHING. ALSO, GET YOUR DENTURES ADJUSTED! DON'T JUST SETTLE. IF THERE IS A PLACE THAT HURTS, GO BACK AND GET IT TAKEN CARE OF. IF IT STILL HURTS, GO BACK AGAIN AND AGAIN UNTIL IT STOPS. GO AS MANY TIMES AS YOU NEED TO. ONCE YOU GET USED TO THEM YOU WON'T EVEN REALIZE THEY ARE IN YOUR MOUTH.
Gary

Beaverton, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2009

I have bone shards, my teeth are new, upper and lowers. I noticed my tongue playing around with one on my lower inner gum. It kept brushing by it, and then the shard fell out. My lower in that area felt better. I got to thinking. Instead of trying to have the dentures grinded in those bone shard areas, if the boney points are sticking out, causing pain, instead of ruining the integrity of the denture by grinding more, why can't you just grind, or file, or just braze down the bone shard?
Gary

Beaverton, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2009

My last post, I am thinking of getting one of those fine emery (sp) boards and just grinding down the pointed part of the shard sticking through the gums. Has anyone with experience done this or something similar?
Angel

El Cajon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2009

Today's update:

MA .... good information always from you.

Today when I went in the dentist wasn't pleased with the amount of swelling still in the area of the newest back bottom jaw implant - he made a small incision (painless), drained some infection that built around the head of the implant, irrigated it and said that the implant itself was fine. I was good to go.
Here is the BEST part. I had the final wax try in for my top snap-in denture. Oh, my gawd ..... it is wonderful! No palate - doesn't feel anything like a denture in your mouth .... almost feels like my old real teeth ... I know that this was what I was waiting, searching, hoping for. It will be "delivered" in 2 weeks. I am jumping up and down with anticipation! It felt like it was worth a million bucks, and I swear, I wouldn't trade that feeling for anything. I will have to wear a temporary bottom partial for about 2 months until my permanent bridges are done .... has this all been worth the 20 grand? You bet. Probably in San Diego our prices are a little inflated - but I recommend that all of you to get that snap in top denture .... you will never regret it.

June ... it's almost time for those virtual balloons, confetti and champagne! March 19th!
Nancy

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Angel - I went to the dentist (implant dentist) and I was floored - he said I would need 4 and he would not be able to adapt my current lower plate but would have tto make a new one. Does this sound right to you? I don't think we have a enough dentists doing your type of dentures. I did not commit and plan to check two more dentists. Maybe it would be cheaper for me to go
to a larger Metropilotan area. My choices here are in five cities here in Tidewater and that should be enough but I may have to go to the Washington DC area. I have a son in Boca Raton, FL and that should be a mecca for dentures. I will be really really happy when this is over. I don't feel I was well prepared for this.

I would advise everyone contemplating full extractions to research all available options. I wish I had.
Angel

El Cajon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Well, Nancy .... you're doing your research now ....that's the good part. For me, when they were snapping in my bottoms it was with 2 implants.(I have since decided to have permanent bridges put in and have had 2 more implants put in).... My top denture has 4 implants to hold it (which I get in 5 days!)... You know, your local dentist might do a "price match" if you get different pricing ... If you have an implant center where all of the work is done in one place, including the lab - the $$ might be less. I asked what kind of a discount would they apply if I paid cash. 10%. That's big. Make sure you ask for guaranteed work ..... and for how long.(mine = 5 years). You are being so smart to shop around. Implants are big bucks. If all of the dentists agree that you have to have a new denture made - ask why. Google "overdentures" ... there is a wealth of information on the 'net. Most of it written by implant dentists themselves. Also, I know I've said this before, but Capitol One has a special medical/dental account that virtually all dentist will accept .... I know this is quite wordy, but I am very excited for you! This is quite a journey. What did your dentist say about your bone density? My last piece of advice ..... do it while you are younger ... it is not easy as you get older. Keep me updated.
Junes

Sterling, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

Nancy, check out the University of Virginia.

Students will be doing the the work, but UVA is among the top Universities. The students have access to the lastest technology and techniques. UVA also boasts graduating some of the top medical professionals in the country.

Because it is a University, your costs should be materials only and maybe some lab fees.

It can't hurt to check it out.
Angel

El Cajon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

June! You are still around! And with good advice as usual!

Get those virtual balloons and confetti ready ... 5 more days!!! And then it's off to the pier (wear your virtual bikini!).... Goodbye conventional denture!

Hope you are doing well - I bet you are because you are an infrequent poster now. I hope your soft-liner went well ... after I get my new snap-in, I plan to stick around this forum too ... but I will probably start an "Implant" thread .... I'd like to help people who have denture problems find an alternative solution through the implant process. Gosh, I'm glad I had you to help me .... thanks for being there.
Nancy

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2009

Angel and June --- Thank you for your good advice. I have learned more on this forum then all the dentists, friends, and family. I am hoping to find someone here in Tidewater (Norfolk,
Portsmouth. Chesapeake, Virginia Beach) but if I can't I am going to find someone even if I have to travel. June - Charlottesville is a little far
but it sounds like it would be worth it. I am sure I am not going to be able to stand my lower denture so I am going to get the implants either here or whereever I have to go. I plan to keep you all posted.
Junes

Annandale, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2009

Nancy, if you must travel, Charlottesvile may be your best option.

Northern VA has very little to offer in the way of discount dental care other than cleanings, extractions and fillings. And then you have to income-qualify,

MD had a pretty good program but it's restricted to MD residents first - and the list is VERY long.

DC - well I wouldn't recommend any kind of subsidized medical or dental care.
Junes

Annandale, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2009

Angel, I had to cancel my appointment because of a food allergy that caused an itchy skin rash. The topical cream is helping, but I'm told it has to work its way through and I should be back to normal within a week.

My dentist said he wants to wait until I work through this before he replaces the fillings and bonds the two lower back teeth.

Bummer - the upper denture is starting to get loose - I'm nearing the 5-month mark and I'm using more powder in the front to hold it in place. It would be nice to "snug them up" a bit.

So, no virtual confetti for me for at least a couple weeks.

I'm ready for your virtual party, but I think I may go with a virtual one piece - even in the virtual world no one needs to see me in a bikini. ;0D

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••