I hate my dentures!
Trey

Garland, TX

#84 Sep 16, 2012
MyraJo wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally get it but for me the economics made the decision for me -- I had to go with an upper denture. The "Smile in a Day" was a fabulous matter of having everything done -- implants and all but I had to pay the Oral Surgeon $16,000 US estimated cost plus more to the other general dentist and cost to a dental lab on TOP of my dental insurance. I'm close to retirement age so it was not a time to get into debt. Given the option of periodontal surgery and going with the implants, I would say go ahead and do the implants, get that poison out of the gums. When I win the lottery I might go back and change from this denture to an implant but can't count on it happening myself. It is good there was a choice.
MyraJo, email me your contact info and I'll try and help. [email protected] Thx!
Mary

Mays Landing, NJ

#85 Oct 7, 2012
I've had full top dentures for three years now, and quit drinking two years ago. I am so horribly miserable that my family is actually asking me to start drinking again. I am so depressed that it's pathetic!!!
steve

Madison, WI

#86 Oct 20, 2012
Elizabeth wrote:
I've been reading this forum for about a month now, as I am facing the reality of an upper denture in the near future. I understand the point that Steve is trying to make - that natural teeth are ALWAYS preferable to (any type) of false teeth and that, if at all possible, we should do everything within our power to save them - but his posts serve no point than the make already depressed people even more depressed.
No amount of money or dental expertise can save my teeth. None. I was told at age 20 that I would likely end up in a denture by the time I was 30 because of a peculiar congenital defect that left me with oddly short roots on my upper teeth. Dentists were clear that my teeth could not be "saved", but they could try to prolong the inevitable. I've spent over $30,000 prolonging the inevitable an extra 18 years (I am now 48).
I've now reached the point where there is nothing more I can do. There are no more teeth to save. I now have two options: 1)a conventional upper denture or 2)an implant-supported upper denture. I have a number of options for the implant-supported upper denture ranging in price from $30,000 -$60,000. That's a LOT of money.
At this point, I am trying to limp along my remaining teeth for as long as I can while saving up money toward an implant-supported option. I've read enough to know that given a choice between a conventional upper denture and an implant-supported denture, I should go with the implants if I can swing it financially.
But the reality is that I may end up losing more teeth before I've saved up the necessary funds, at which point I will have to wear a conventional denture until I can afford the implants. That is what has brought me here to this forum - to gain some insight from other people who have faced a similiar journey.
Reading Steve's posts, however, is just plain disheartening. I'm already depressed about my situation enough as it is. I really don't need someone telling me that I'm going to end up an ugly, shriveled crone - particularly when my only other option is to be toothless. I'm sorry Steve had a bad experience, but it seems to me that in an effort to make himself feel better, he's determined to make everyone else feel worse.
I already know that getting dentures is less than ideal. I'm an educated woman. I get it. I already know that it will be uncomfortable and that I will regret that I wasn't fortunate enough to be born with perfect teeth (I already have that regret). But I am certainly not going to spend what life I have left beating myself up about it. It is what it is and I'd prefer to soldier on and make the best of it than wallow in self-pity, making everyone else around me miserable.
Obviously, Steve had the option of saving his teeth and he didn't take it. Obviously, Steve regrets his decision not to take good care of his teeth. That's understandable. And it's obvious that Steve hates his dentures. As the adage goes, misery loves company and it seems that Steve is trying to make people feel as miserable as he does. I'm sorry for that. But here's the thing: Steve, you wear a denture. Get over it.
I don't have a chance to get on this forum very often but I should correct some of your comments. I took excellent care of my teeth. Apparently you have not read all of my posts. I wear an implant-supported hybrid denture - sometimes called a bridge - which I am very happy with! It stays in the mouth and is removable only by a dentist. I used to wear a full upper denture (the regular removable-type denture). I despise removable full dentures. There are too many disadvantages to them. With a hybrid denture, it's almost like having your own teeth back. I'll tell you what makes me unhappy. Dentists are extracting the teeth of millions of patients - often needlessly - without warning them about the consequences of having ALL of their natural teeth removed. Wearing full dentures is almost ALWAYS a person's WORST POSSIBLE OPTION.
steve

Madison, WI

#87 Nov 10, 2012
If you are one of the millions of unhappy full denture wearers, I recommend getting an implant-supported hybrid denture (also known as a bridge). It solves many of the problems regarding full dentures. Many denture wearers who are depressed don't realize they don't need to get a mouth full of implants. Usually just 4 or 6 implants will work just fine.
riggers

Lamesa, TX

#88 Nov 15, 2012
I just got a denture today and I freaking HATE it. I feel like a beaver or chipmunk or something. The teeth are too perfect and they are huge. I can't eat jack. I have bitten my own lip and tongue several times already. I can eat better with no teeth than with these things in and my gums are getting cuts all over where they are pointy bone spots along the gums on the top. I got both top and bottom full dentures and I am only 31. I look SO old since having my teeth pulled. IDK what to do :(.

As a matter of fact I feel like I'm choking just taking a drink and I can't taste jack. Actually I feel like gagging just from the lack of space for my tongue. I am thinking maybe I could get some bridge (implants) to give me a little more space until I run out of money.....

I could probably afford 4 to 6 implants. When I try to smile it feels like my lips have to "stretch" because of the massive space the denture takes up and I look like a creepy scary person. What did I do?
trey

Garland, TX

#89 Nov 15, 2012
riggers wrote:
I just got a denture today and I freaking HATE it. I feel like a beaver or chipmunk or something. The teeth are too perfect and they are huge. I can't eat jack. I have bitten my own lip and tongue several times already. I can eat better with no teeth than with these things in and my gums are getting cuts all over where they are pointy bone spots along the gums on the top. I got both top and bottom full dentures and I am only 31. I look SO old since having my teeth pulled. IDK what to do :(.
As a matter of fact I feel like I'm choking just taking a drink and I can't taste jack. Actually I feel like gagging just from the lack of space for my tongue. I am thinking maybe I could get some bridge (implants) to give me a little more space until I run out of money.....
I could probably afford 4 to 6 implants. When I try to smile it feels like my lips have to "stretch" because of the massive space the denture takes up and I look like a creepy scary person. What did I do?
If you're 31 and you just got dentures, I HIGHLY recommend you getting implants. Otherwise, your bone will keep receding and you will develop that concave look that we see so frequently in the elderly whom wear dentures. If you want to discuss more, shoot me your email address and we can connect.
riggers

Lamesa, TX

#90 Nov 16, 2012
trey wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're 31 and you just got dentures, I HIGHLY recommend you getting implants. Otherwise, your bone will keep receding and you will develop that concave look that we see so frequently in the elderly whom wear dentures. If you want to discuss more, shoot me your email address and we can connect.
My email addy is [email protected]
Judy15

Heathridge, Australia

#91 Feb 2, 2013
me too wrote:
I got dentures and I just hate them! I feel like my mouth is full of some foreign objects. I cannot enjoy any food I eat and the taste is all but gone.
I have had them about three months. It is just awful.
The paste is awful. When I take them out I look 20 years older!
The dentist in no way told me all of what to expect with these and I just don't know what to do! I feel my life as it was before, is gone.
I feel like suing him because I was NO WAY prepared for this disaster in my life.
Rachelle
I got top and bottom dentures and I HATE wearing them. I agree it does feel like you've got a mouthful of something and as soon as I get home from wherever I go I cannot wait to get them out of my mouth. Yes the paste is awful,have you tried the denture pads? They are a lot better,and they also sort of cushion the dentures. Good luck with yours.
Marilyn

Hamilton, New Zealand

#92 Feb 5, 2013
Christine NZ wrote:
I have been watching this forum for a while now and find it extremely helpfull besides the bickering amongst some.
Had my lower teeth removed 6 months ago and it took 3 months before they were pain free,however now I find that my gums have schrunk so much that I need a reline done on my permanent dentures, the dentist advised me to find a technician to do this??? Wouldn't it be normal to get this done by the dentist or the techninican that made the originally ones. Feel like now he has taken all my teeth out and I haven't been back for 3 months he doesn't want to now anymore???
I am also debating wether to get 2 implants and get a overdenture however I am terrified of having to go thru all this pain again. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
Christine,
I live in NZ.
I had a total dental clearance due to disease.
The 3 year + journey has been a nightmare but my health and well being has improved beyond measure.
I have 4 implants in my bottom jaw that carry a clip on denture.
My top is a regular standard denture.
I know now I am one of the minority that will always have discomfort wearing dentures.
The lower denture was a problem for 2 1/2 years as I could flick it out with my tongue. The denture firm (very high profile) I was referred to could not fix the problem and it seemed I was there every second week begging them to fix it as my gums were always bruised and sore. He finally sent me back to the surgeon to check the implants as two second opinions ( I found) thought the implants were too high.
The result of this was a referral to another dental house that made me another set of dentures and one implant cap being replaced.
I have been working with the new dentist since September and am finally to the point where I have days where I hardly notice my dentures, I still get bruising if I tackle very hard Chewy textures.
This dentist has given me back my life, I have a beautiful smile again, my lower jaw has lost the sunken in wrinkled look and I look and feel 10 years younger.
I may never be without sore gums occasionally but have learned to avoid certain foods that irritate, wine, sugar, some bread products and sinewy meat. It is not all bad, one just has to get on with it.
If you give me your email address I can refer you to the dentist that had made this possible. There are dentists in NZ that will go the extra mile and listen to you.
Nellie

Pepperell, MA

#93 Feb 6, 2013
Is it possible for a dental lab to make denture teeth smaller, I told my dentist when I had them made "I did not want to look like a Kennedy" well now I look just like Uncle Teddy, I'm going to try and stay away from the stinking dentists and deal directly with the Lab, I also have to use Poligrip to keep them from flopping around, they religned them shortly after I got them, the dentist said I need to have them religned again ($675) thats the last he is going to see of me.
My wife had a full top denture put in about 12 years ago and has never had them religned, she can eat anything, she had her work done in a "denture clinic" I paid about $500,000 for mine she paid about $67 for hers and she has never had any trouble.
I told my grandaughters to "Marry A Dentist" they will be millionaires. I have 3 teeth left in my head I will pull them myself with a wrench.
Christine

Auckland, New Zealand

#94 Feb 6, 2013
Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>
Christine,
I live in NZ.
I had a total dental clearance due to disease.
The 3 year + journey has been a nightmare but my health and well being has improved beyond measure.
I have 4 implants in my bottom jaw that carry a clip on denture.
My top is a regular standard denture.
I know now I am one of the minority that will always have discomfort wearing dentures.
The lower denture was a problem for 2 1/2 years as I could flick it out with my tongue. The denture firm (very high profile) I was referred to could not fix the problem and it seemed I was there every second week begging them to fix it as my gums were always bruised and sore. He finally sent me back to the surgeon to check the implants as two second opinions ( I found) thought the implants were too high.
The result of this was a referral to another dental house that made me another set of dentures and one implant cap being replaced.
I have been working with the new dentist since September and am finally to the point where I have days where I hardly notice my dentures, I still get bruising if I tackle very hard Chewy textures.
This dentist has given me back my life, I have a beautiful smile again, my lower jaw has lost the sunken in wrinkled look and I look and feel 10 years younger.
I may never be without sore gums occasionally but have learned to avoid certain foods that irritate, wine, sugar, some bread products and sinewy meat. It is not all bad, one just has to get on with it.
If you give me your email address I can refer you to the dentist that had made this possible. There are dentists in NZ that will go the extra mile and listen to you.
Hi Marilyn, thank you for your response, I have since I posted this been on a whole new journey and got both dentures replaced by denturetech in Albany, did get new set September last year and I am extremely happy with them, can eat almost everything and even though I still have bad teeth days overall I cannot complain. Bottom once still the most problem and still thinking about implants, need to go back to them soon as they advised me that I will need a reline on the bottoms because the teeth were only removed 12 months ago and gums still reciding, no problems at all with upppers, don't even know they are there. Would love to hear who you have been dealing with in Auckland. My email is [email protected] and yes I love my new smile.
Terry

Brownsville, KY

#95 Feb 28, 2013
Well after 4 years of fighting a floppy loose bottom denture I had implants today. Dentist ran into a problem with one of the implants not installing correctly. So I got 3 installed and will have to go back for the 4th one later. But even at that I can tell all the difference in the world. The denture is really feeling secure and making me happy. I also received my new uppers and they finally fit right. The old set I never could get to hold with half a tube of adhesive. Still early in the game but I am tickled.
june

Ireland

#96 Mar 11, 2013
Angel wrote:
My, my Steve ... Merry Christmas! I have friends and people in my family who have worn dentures since they were teenagers ... they aged just as the rest of have ... I will agree that if you take your teeth out of your mouth you immediatly look much older, but when your teeth are in I think it's pretty hard to tell who wears dentures and who doesn't... And I agree with you- I'd love to have my God-given teeth as well.
I am ninteen and due to genetics I have all my teeth extracted. The are out now for three years including my wisdom teeth. I have dentures which are O.K. My gums are hard and firm and I can eat most foods without the dentures. I wore no dentures for twoo years followig extraction and got very used to it as did my friends. It is more comfortable without dentures and I often still go withot them (probably more than 50% of the time). I enjoy my bare gums and would not go back to having teeth again for the world. I have no plans to have implants down the line. All of my four sisters and Mum are toothless. Except for Mum who wears her dentures all the time,the other ladies are like myself, as likely to be seen without dentures as with. All are married and I am in a steady relationship. If you hate your dentures ditch them. It will be a nine day wonder among your frirnds and family and will quicly become your new normal sense of self. Very few foods will be off your menue as you already know.
mikeswiss

Clements, CA

#97 Mar 12, 2013
june wrote:
<quoted text>
I am ninteen and due to genetics I have all my teeth extracted. The are out now for three years including my wisdom teeth. I have dentures which are O.K. My gums are hard and firm and I can eat most foods without the dentures. I wore no dentures for twoo years followig extraction and got very used to it as did my friends. It is more comfortable without dentures and I often still go withot them (probably more than 50% of the time). I enjoy my bare gums and would not go back to having teeth again for the world. I have no plans to have implants down the line. All of my four sisters and Mum are toothless. Except for Mum who wears her dentures all the time,the other ladies are like myself, as likely to be seen without dentures as with. All are married and I am in a steady relationship. If you hate your dentures ditch them. It will be a nine day wonder among your frirnds and family and will quicly become your new normal sense of self. Very few foods will be off your menue as you already know.
June, Such a surprise to hear this 'joy of toothless' experience. I can understand since you are so young and probably very healthy (strong) that you have no difficulty but only happiness to become and enjoy toothless life w/o having to wear dentures. It's really amazing to me that (if I remember well) you made the first and only post here claiming/sharing this wonderful/unbelievable experience. Thank you. Yet, may I remind you it may (or may not) still apply to your case that bone loss due to toothless may happen later time of your life? How about your Mom and other sisters? Do they have bone loss issue? Appreciate your sharing if you will.
The New Improved Amused

Cookeville, TN

#98 Apr 6, 2013
Nellie wrote:
Is it possible for a dental lab to make denture teeth smaller, I told my dentist when I had them made "I did not want to look like a Kennedy" well now I look just like Uncle Teddy, I'm going to try and stay away from the stinking dentists and deal directly with the Lab, I also have to use Poligrip to keep them from flopping around, they religned them shortly after I got them, the dentist said I need to have them religned again ($675) thats the last he is going to see of me.
My wife had a full top denture put in about 12 years ago and has never had them religned, she can eat anything, she had her work done in a "denture clinic" I paid about $500,000 for mine she paid about $67 for hers and she has never had any trouble.
I told my grandaughters to "Marry A Dentist" they will be millionaires. I have 3 teeth left in my head I will pull them myself with a wrench.
I know this is a serious post but your comment about Uncle Teddy made me laugh out loud!
Kim Delmont

UK

#99 Apr 7, 2013
There's no point in telling people not to get dentures fitted - because sometimes there's no choice! My teeth were ruined by a dentist years ago telling me that I should have all my teeth crowned so they'd look better, all done on the national health in the UK, but 10 years later all my teeth were rotten underneath the crowns because my own teeth weren't prepped properly by the dentist, so here I am, next Wednesday, having the remainder of my bottom teeth extracted and a denture fitted immediately, and also a full denture at the top - I would so gladly have kept my own teeth and looked after them, but I believed my dentist knew what he was doing! And by the way, i heard that that dentist was struck off about 3 years ago, but I don't know what for, but i can imagine! I know that nobody in their right mind would have healthy teeth taken out so that they could wear a denture, so please, for people like me, who have no other choice but to have dentures fitted until i can afford implants, say something positive, I'm already feeling like I'm losing something of myself, like I'm less of a woman or something like that!!! Steve from Madison, you are making me panic - is it really that bad?
Kim Delmont

UK

#100 Apr 7, 2013
steve wrote:
If you are one of the millions of unhappy full denture wearers, I recommend getting an implant-supported hybrid denture (also known as a bridge). It solves many of the problems regarding full dentures. Many denture wearers who are depressed don't realize they don't need to get a mouth full of implants. Usually just 4 or 6 implants will work just fine.
But how much does it cost to have 4 to 6 implants? Also, is it possible to have implants fitted a year after having the teeth extracted? Are you supposed to have implants fitted immediately after extraction?
mikeswiss

Clements, CA

#101 Apr 7, 2013
Kim, I believe most people can have implants placed half or year after extraction. Sometimes it's even better to wait (after extraction) until extraction wounds are healed then place implants (placing implants does not cause pain at all since jaw bone, or any bone has no nurve in it). It all depends on individual case especially whether the bone condition is suitable for implants (bone grafting also help). I know a patient who has worn removable dentures for years and then decided to go for implants. The truth is although the patient has lost much of her jaw bone, she actually didn't have to suffer the first time pain of wearing unfitting/faulty dentures! A happy and blessing result.
Elizabeth

Jacksonville Beach, FL

#102 Apr 8, 2013
Hi Steve, I will say this in response to your post: conventional removeable dentures are an ideal option for people whose only OTHER options are 1) being completely toothless or 2) retaining hopeless diseased teeth in their mouth. Of course, "hopeless" is a subjective term and I recommend everyone getting at LEAST a second opinion before consenting to have a tooth/teeth extracted. Do they feel like your real teeth? Of course not. Do they function like real teeth? No. But the cons of wearing a conventional denture vastly outweigh the cons of being toothless or keeping diseased, infected teeth in your mouth. You talked in a previous post about what conventional dentures do to your appearance (as if no teeth or diseased teeth look better). What's more important - vanity or health?

That being said, implants are not a option for everyone. Obviously, a fixed prothesis is better than a removable one, but not everyone is candidate for implants and not every eligible candidate can afford them. You said it's simply a matter of prioritizing, but unfortunately, for many people it's simply a matter of basic math. The same can be said for salvagable teeth that need extensive work - work that can easily cost as much as implants - yet with no guarantees of success. Some people can't afford to let their dentist give it the ole college try. I wasted $30k trying to save my teeth. The $30k is gone and so are the teeth that it was spent on. I should have spent the monet on impants, but I had one of those "save your own teeth at all costs" dentists.

I seriously doubt there are any conventional denture wearers or potential denture wearers that are unaware of the implant option. Lord knows that dentists push that option as hard as they can - its one of the most lucrative procedures for them. So all you are really doing is making them feel bad about the fact that a better option exists but that they can't afford it. That certainly does nothing to help someone cope with their situation. If a person dwells on how much they hate their dentures or the fact that they have to wear them, they will always hate them. The success of a denture has as much to do with the quality of the denture and skill of the dentist as it does the attitude of the patient. If the denture hurts, it is not made correctly. If it is loose or you need to use glue, it needs to be adjusted. A well-made denture will fit comfortably and snugly without adhesive. If the denture makes you look funny, say something. If your dentist doesn't listen, find a dentist who will. Don't pay for something that hurts, doesn't fit or makes you look funny. You wouldn't buy a pair of shoes that pinch your feet, cause blisters or flip off when you walk. So why would you buy teeth that do that?

And finally - and this supports some of Steve's posts - nothing makes me angrier than reading posts from young peope who want to have their teeth yanked and get a denture because they don't like how they look or because they have some cavities or need a little work done. Perhaps that's part of today's youth's off the charts vanity - but seriously - getting dentures when you have the option or financially ability NOT to is sheer stupidity.
mikeswiss

Clements, CA

#103 Apr 8, 2013
Now I always wonder why most posts against Steve's do not mention the fact of 'bone loss' which not only bring dire impact of both vanity and health, but the effect is irreversible! It is my personal highest concern. You?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
new dentures are stuck help !!! (Mar '12) 23 hr Kspaulding 20
I Removed the Pallet from My Upper Denture (Oct '16) Sun Girlhood78 16
Denture Adhesives and Useful Tips for New Wearers (Feb '12) Sat LHokett 991
Learning to eat with dentures (Jun '09) Fri love2cats 1,402
I love my dentures (Jul '09) May 19 love2cats 58
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) May 19 Patrick J 1,988
Swelling May 18 Christine 1
More from around the web