I hate my dentures!
First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Jewels

Albany, NY

#1 Oct 3, 2011
Hi, on the 25th of August I had what remained of my lower teeth extracted and an immediate denture put in. This was the result of inherited very bad teeth and a lack of dental insurance in my life. My dentist is GREAT and he is really trying to make them as comfortable as possible but I'm miserable. Speaking was never an issue and is fact is bit better than before because I had very few teeth in the back of my mouth. Eating by now is ok too. In the beginning I did the soft foods and had a problem chewing but now it's fine. The problem is they are making me hold my mouth diffeently and I'm getting a lot of muscle tension in the lower jaw on both sides. My dentist has made adjustments and I hope will make more but I have a feeling that what I'm dealing with now is what I'll deal with forever. What I have is an overdenture since four of own teeth are still there although only stubs so down the road implants will be possible. I'm taking ibuprofen daily just to relieve the tension. The fit is good and I know they won't fall out and they look nice but I just hate them. The plan is to do the upper as well and I've already told him that there's no way I can deal with an upper too. I paid for these on a credit card so now I'm $3000 in debt for something I can't stand. Can anyone out there give me some hope that these will feel better? My dentist says I might be creating the tension myself so I try to relax my face but it's not happening. Thanks for any support!
Angel

Santee, CA

#2 Oct 3, 2011
Jewels ..... concentrate on dropping your jaw when you are not eating .... like, just relax your mouth and let the lower jaw go back as if you were sleeping. I thing you are probably clenching your teeth now that you have teeth to clench in the back. It's a big adjustment I know. I like your dentist - he has given you options for the future - I hope you can afford implants someday - I love my implanted bridge - I thought life was over when I had to wear a denture.
me too

Middletown, NY

#3 Oct 7, 2011
I got dentures and I just hate them! I feel like my mouth is full of some foreign objects. I cannot enjoy any food I eat and the taste is all but gone.

I have had them about three months. It is just awful.

The paste is awful. When I take them out I look 20 years older!

The dentist in no way told me all of what to expect with these and I just don't know what to do! I feel my life as it was before, is gone.

I feel like suing him because I was NO WAY prepared for this disaster in my life.

Rachelle
Jewels

Albany, NY

#4 Oct 7, 2011
me too wrote:
I got dentures and I just hate them! I feel like my mouth is full of some foreign objects. I cannot enjoy any food I eat and the taste is all but gone.
The dentist in no way told me all of what to expect with these and I just don't know what to do! I feel my life as it was before, is gone.
I feel like suing him because I was NO WAY prepared for this disaster in my life.
Rachelle
Hi Rachelle,

I really sympathise with you. I don't have the problems that you do with eating and tasting and don't have to use the paste. Did you get full uppers and lowers? My dentist told me exactly what to expect and is really trying to do adjustments to make it better. He thinks my facial tension is because of the bite so that's what he's working to improve. Perhaps if you can maybe you should go to another dentist. According to what mine told me about them, by three months in I don't think you should not be able to eat and taste your food. Mine are overdentures and as I have about 4 teeth left, although just stubs, they snap on to them and the fit is as ok as these d--- things can be. Try another Dr even if it's a consultation. I know exactly how you feel. It's horrible and if you need to vent about it I'm here!!
Jewels

Albany, NY

#5 Oct 7, 2011
Angel wrote:
Jewels ..... concentrate on dropping your jaw when you are not eating .... like, just relax your mouth and let the lower jaw go back as if you were sleeping. I thing you are probably clenching your teeth now that you have teeth to clench in the back. It's a big adjustment I know. I like your dentist - he has given you options for the future - I hope you can afford implants someday - I love my implanted bridge - I thought life was over when I had to wear a denture.
Thnks Angel. I went back to my Dr yesterday and he feels that the tension is being caused by the bite so he's working on adjustments to try to make it better. He'slso suggested a partial plate on the top. I have almost no teeth up there in the back on both sides so that might be contributing to the bite problems. I'm just a bit concerned about how that would feel on the top but it wouldn't be a full denture like the bottoms are so maybe it wouldn't fel as awfull. Today my facial tension is beter but just the thought of these things turn my stomach.
wendy goodwin

Chester, UK

#6 Dec 17, 2011
My top denture is fine,I'm just sick of the burning sensation I get with them,when they get loose I used fixodent and it horrible it also burns my mouth and feels like sand under my top plate its horrible

Since: Dec 11

Australia

#7 Dec 18, 2011
I didn't realise just how hard it would be to adjust to having a larger lower partial denture. I'd had a few molars for years on a lower partial. I had to have my front teeth removed, plus my wisdom teeth which had been supporting the lower partial. I've had mine now for about a month and a half - still trying to get used to having that extra bulkiness in my mouth. I've found if I put my tongue up to the roof of my upper denture, it doesn't seem quite so bad. it is a bit difficult to retrain your tongue. I battle daily after a few hours. I know I will make it, simply because I have to.
chris

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Dec 20, 2011
i just got a full upper and i cant stand it; i really hope it improves in the next couple weeks.
steve

Madison, WI

#9 Dec 26, 2011
Three years ago, I made the terrible mistake of getting all my teeth extracted and getting dentures. I'm very unhappy. I should have just got my teeth fixed. If you wear dentures you're stuck with denture breath for life! If you kiss anybody, they will never want you to kiss them again. Your saliva cleanses your mouth but your body knows your dentures are a foreign object & does not cleanse them. Also, your face will age drastically because your body believes you no longer need your jaw bones. Your jaw bones disintegrate rapidly after getting your teeth extracted. People who know you will not notice much of a change but if you're trying to meet new people you will come across to them as old and unattractive. The bottom third of your face collapses. Your face gets uglier and uglier as you lose more of your jawbone. You will look very old, very quickly. THIS HAPPENS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS ALL THEIR TEETH EXTRACTED. I would give anything to have my old teeth back. They weren't that bad. I have destroyed my life by having all my teeth removed.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Angel

Santee, CA

#10 Dec 27, 2011
My, my Steve ... Merry Christmas! I have friends and people in my family who have worn dentures since they were teenagers ... they aged just as the rest of have ... I will agree that if you take your teeth out of your mouth you immediatly look much older, but when your teeth are in I think it's pretty hard to tell who wears dentures and who doesn't... And I agree with you- I'd love to have my God-given teeth as well.
steve

Madison, WI

#11 Dec 27, 2011
Beware of people saying dentures will solve your dental problems. Anyone thinking of getting dentures should do a lot of research. When all your teeth are extracted, you age very rapidly. Both the upper and the lower jawbones shrink. The height of the lower face decreases, causing the face to appear shriveled and old. The distance between your nose and your chin will get less and less - that makes you look old. Eventually your nose will appear lower on your face which makes your nose look like it's way too big for your face. People should get their own teeth fixed whenever possible.
Angel

Santee, CA

#12 Dec 27, 2011
steve wrote:
Beware of people saying dentures will solve your dental problems.......... People should get their own teeth fixed whenever possible.
ABSOLUTLY TRUE! Save your OWN teeth at all costs .... I do not know how the 'just pull it' mentally ever got started, but OMG ... dentures should be your LAST option.
steve

Madison, WI

#13 Dec 28, 2011
I urge anybody considering having all their teeth extracted and getting full dentures to read the following article:

http://onlinehealthnews.org/2009/05/the-diffi...

If you have all your teeth removed and get full dentures, your life will change drastically. Many people develop severe depression and spend the rest of their lives suffering from it. They feel uncomfortable in social encounters and often spend the rest of their lives alone.
steve

Madison, WI

#14 Jan 20, 2012
me too wrote:
Rachelle
Hi "me too". I know what you feel like. I deeply regret not keeping my own teeth and getting them fixed. Dentures are nothing like real teeth. Dentures suck.
steve

Madison, WI

#15 Feb 2, 2012
me too wrote:
Rachelle
Hi Rachelle! I wish more people like you would post on this denture forum. I can tell you are a wonderful warm, loving person. This forum is all one-sided and dominated by bullies like "Angel" and "ScorpioLady." They must not have anything to do except sit at their computers and give out their biased opinions. They must be associated with the denture industry. Millions of people feel like you and I do, and I know we are in the MAJORITY. Dentists should have to explain stuff to people who are considering having all their teeth extracted & being fitted with full dentures. They don't warn people about facial collapse or anything else!!! I was never told what to expect either. Love to you dear and God Bless!
Bob379

Netherlands

#16 Feb 2, 2012
steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Rachelle! I wish more people like you would post on this denture forum. I can tell you are a wonderful warm, loving person. This forum is all one-sided and dominated by bullies like "Angel" and "ScorpioLady." They must not have anything to do except sit at their computers and give out their biased opinions. They must be associated with the denture industry. Millions of people feel like you and I do, and I know we are in the MAJORITY. Dentists should have to explain stuff to people who are considering having all their teeth extracted & being fitted with full dentures. They don't warn people about facial collapse or anything else!!! I was never told what to expect either. Love to you dear and God Bless!
Actually what Steve has done is to call people names and insult everyone who posts here and wears Dentures. He is a major a-hole just wanting to be a Topix Troll that nothing to ad to the discussion and has helped no one.

He was asked to start his own thread and no one posts to it , so he comes here to cause trouble.

He was asked to start a Fund to buy people Implants and he's not given anyone anything but a hard time.
steve

Madison, WI

#17 Feb 3, 2012
Bob379 wrote:
<quoted text>Actually what Steve has done is to call people names and insult everyone who posts here and wears Dentures. He is a major a-hole just wanting to be a Topix Troll that nothing to ad to the discussion and has helped no one.
He was asked to start his own thread and no one posts to it , so he comes here to cause trouble.
He was asked to start a Fund to buy people Implants and he's not given anyone anything but a hard time.
Bob, you're probably a good person.
You've been had by Angel and ScorpioLady. They've designated themselves as the moderators on this forum and are disrespectful to anybody who does not agree with their pro-denture agenda. The main difference between your denture and my denture is that mine does not come out. I wore a regular top denture for almost two years. I still face most of the issues you do.
lori

Newport-on-tay, UK

#18 Feb 4, 2012
steve wrote:
Three years ago, I made the terrible mistake of getting all my teeth extracted and getting dentures. I'm very unhappy. I should have just got my teeth fixed. If you wear dentures you're stuck with denture breath for life! If you kiss anybody, they will never want you to kiss them again. Your saliva cleanses your mouth but your body knows your dentures are a foreign object & does not cleanse them. Also, your face will age drastically because your body believes you no longer need your jaw bones. Your jaw bones disintegrate rapidly after getting your teeth extracted. People who know you will not notice much of a change but if you're trying to meet new people you will come across to them as old and unattractive. The bottom third of your face collapses. Your face gets uglier and uglier as you lose more of your jawbone. You will look very old, very quickly. THIS HAPPENS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS ALL THEIR TEETH EXTRACTED. I would give anything to have my old teeth back. They weren't that bad. I have destroyed my life by having all my teeth removed.
firstly i am NOT telling anyone dentures are wonderfull and everyone should get them. natural teeth are the best, but after reading this i felt i had to comment. my dentures are NOT causing bad breath even though i have only had them for 5 days, my old partial denture never did either which i had for 5 years. yes with my denture out i look old and my face looks horrid but with my denture in i actually look and feel younger now. you cant tell they are false unless you get really close and inspect them.i look younger because i now have a full set of what look like healthy natural white teeth. before this my partial made up my back teeth and i had 7 crowns at the front. i HATED my crowns from day one. they hurt every day i had them, and were soooo sensitive to heat and cold it was unreal. as for kissing thats wrong too. i can promise 100percent the person kissing me is keen to come back for more. i do think you need to be prepared for what to expect, i was lucky as my dentist explained every possible outcome but surely some of the problems we are experiencing are common sense and obvious. i say anyone with problems needs to find a decent dentist. over bites, sores, speech and eating have all been addressed by my dentist and he has really helped me overcome them. im still sore now after having mine done on tuesday but all my pain is relating to bruising etc from extractions after adjustments,(only needed to go back once) my denture fits perfectly, i feel better with fixodent natural but personal choice. my speech is good and i am eating very very well. i can chew but just need to be a bit more patient with my front bite and wait for gums to heal properly there.

Since: Jan 12

Gate City, VA

#19 Feb 4, 2012
steve, you wouldn't happen to be the dr pushing the cosmalite veneers on that page you keep referring everyone to would you? Hmmm?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#20 Feb 4, 2012
steve, i read your post and i realized i could have written it myself except i am a woman and i agree with everything you said, IGNORANTLY, i listened to a dentist???? and got my 8 remaining top teeth pulled and got a full upper denture and that was 20 yrs. ago and it has ruined my life now, not so bad in the beginning but now, the upper i am wearing is not right FOR ME, i am still looking for some one in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA who knows how to make a denture that is NOT ONE SIZE FITS ALL and, it is very hard to keep fresh breath, no matter how hard you try. how are you doing?
steve wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentures Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Denture Adhesives and Useful Tips for New Wearers (Feb '12) 5 hr itsthegrey 920
E-Day in 25 days with immediate dentures upper ... 8 hr Cilla17 5
Let's talk COST of implants/hybrids/fixed bridg... (Jul '12) 20 hr Marylene 1,817
free teeth makeover (Jul '08) Mon Deborah 434
facial collapse (Feb '12) Sun donna 64
Learning to eat with dentures (Jun '09) Sat metermaid12 1,345
Cheer up New Denture Wearers (Sep '08) May 27 Grateful1978 5,772
More from around the web