Treating Dandruff

Full story: Wfmynews2.com 28
Dandruff is characterized by scaly patches on the scalp. You may have some itchiness or just see the flakes on your clothes. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BarryAustralia

Australia

#1 Jan 17, 2006
My family has a history of dandruff and psoriasis. My dandruff will change from minimal to severe across the year. Worse in hay fever season.

The past 3-4 months have been the most annoying ever. Flakes and drive-one-crazy itching. Nothing worked to reduce the problem.

Went to the health food store here, where it was suggested I try Olive Leaf Extract ("Works for some, not for all").

For me, it has been brilliant. Dandruff and itching gone completely. What a relief.

I take the olive leaf extract internally as directed, plus each morning, I massage 5ml of OLE and 5ml of water into my scalp, about an hour before showering. Use no shampoo or conditioner. Three days, all signs of dandruff gone....that is two weeks ago.
AllanMD

Quezon City, Philippines

#4 May 1, 2006
Any ketoconazole or ciclopirox olamine - containing shampoos work in controlling dandruff. They are available here as Nizoral (for keto) and Stieprox (for ciclopirox). Don't know if they are available there without prescription.
Kiki

United States

#6 Mar 19, 2007
May I suggest regular (daily), gentle scalp brushing to combat dandruff? I've had dandruff problems my whole adult life, and I've tried every shampoo and "alternative" treatment (vinegar, honey, yogurt, etc). Someone bought me a round, natural-bristle brush, and showed me the proper way to brush the dead skin off of my scalp. Within a week, the dandruff was gone and hasn't come back. Might not work for everyone, but I want to put it out there for those who are exhausted with buying products, or who are looking for a natural solution.
Taya

Auckland, New Zealand

#8 Jul 20, 2007
Hi there, I use remedies natural oils of Neem, Lavender, Tea tree which is an excellent dandruff blaster, and pure vrgin coconut oil for the itching. Neem, tea tree and lavender oil's find are the most efective for dandruff when mixed and applied to the scalp and massaged in then left for seral hours. The of these treatments usually tackles it I find and then using shampoo that does not contain SLS (sulphates) makes a HUGE difference too see dryitchyscalpremedies.com they have heaps of remedies
watitdos little cousin

Santa Fe Springs, CA

#9 Jul 20, 2007
dandruff can be caused by a certain food consumption.

The key to getting rid of dandruff is in the diet. Begin with an Alkaline Diet. Certainly, there are many foods (and nonfoods) that cause problems, including dandruff. They are:
> All artificial ingredients
> All bad oils, including margarine, fried foods, partially hydrogenated and hydrogenated oils
> Ice cream, milk, cheese (raw cheese is okay)
> All refined sugar. See Sugar article.
> A lack of foods in the diet that contains minerals
> Allergies
> Skin irritants

http://www.nutritional-life.com/Dandruff/

just a little info.

Since: May 07

Piedmont/Triad Area, NC

#10 Jul 22, 2007
watitdos little cousin wrote:
dandruff can be caused by a certain food consumption.
The key to getting rid of dandruff is in the diet. Begin with an Alkaline Diet. Certainly, there are many foods (and nonfoods) that cause problems, including dandruff. They are:
> All artificial ingredients
> All bad oils, including margarine, fried foods, partially hydrogenated and hydrogenated oils
> Ice cream, milk, cheese (raw cheese is okay)
> All refined sugar. See Sugar article.
> A lack of foods in the diet that contains minerals
> Allergies
> Skin irritants
http://www.nutritional-life.com/Dandruff/
just a little info.
True dandruff is caused by a fungus on the scalp, not by anything you consume. You may be referring to dry scalp which can sometimes cause flakes. But these are 2 totally different things.
de havilland england

UK

#11 Jul 24, 2007
try elvive by l'oreal it contains selenium and cured my dandruf and all that itching quite unbelievable
RATNAKAR

Arlington Heights, IL

#12 Sep 5, 2007
anybody felt like , dandruff is a cause for hairloss ?
RATNAKAR

Arlington Heights, IL

#13 Sep 5, 2007
Kiki wrote:
May I suggest regular (daily), gentle scalp brushing to combat dandruff? I've had dandruff problems my whole adult life, and I've tried every shampoo and "alternative" treatment (vinegar, honey, yogurt, etc). Someone bought me a round, natural-bristle brush, and showed me the proper way to brush the dead skin off of my scalp. Within a week, the dandruff was gone and hasn't come back. Might not work for everyone, but I want to put it out there for those who are exhausted with buying products, or who are looking for a natural solution.
DO you have any idea what is the brand name of the brush and where can I get it ?

“I LOVE BLACK PEOPLE FIRST!”

Since: Apr 07

25,000 Gee

#14 Sep 5, 2007
UpAtNite wrote:
<quoted text>
True dandruff is caused by a fungus on the scalp, not by anything you consume. You may be referring to dry scalp which can sometimes cause flakes. But these are 2 totally different things.
that is incorrect... the fungus is caused by that which your skin produces.

your skin produces that which is created from what you consume... odor and oily or dry skin and acne... just to name a few.

Piedmont/Triad Area, NC

#15 Sep 11, 2007
I will elaborate:
The primary cause of dandruff is usually a fungus called Pityrosporum ovale (P. ovale) which is a naturally occurring yeast-like organism found on the scalp and other parts of human skin. The fungus is found most on skin areas with plenty of sebaceous glands: on the scalp, face and upper part of the body and gruadally P.ovale fungus tends to concentrate on the scalp where a large number of sebaceous glands can be found. These are the glands that produce your skin's natural oil, called sebum, which contributes to the growth of the P. ovale fungus. As the fungus grows in size and numbers, it results in dandruff.
--WebMD
nithi

Abu Dhabi, UAE

#17 Aug 28, 2008
i m having severe dandruff on my head.it sheds off only on the top of the patches.its not just a small dust like particle but seems as if like a big shell on my scalp.i used various treatments ..but no use....

is oil good for dandruff or shampoo good for dandruff??

i dont know what to do..consulted many doctors .........
but still........

for the past 8 years i m suffering this...the doctors have proven its not psoriasis..

is there any treatment which may cure this completely??

Greenville, NC

#18 Sep 1, 2008
Talk to your dermatologist about enbrel injections. I take it weekly for the same thing and it is a miracle drug!!!!

Piedmont/Triad Area, NC

#20 Nov 7, 2008
watitdos little cousin wrote:
<quoted text>
that is incorrect... the fungus is caused by that which your skin produces.
your skin produces that which is created from what you consume... odor and oily or dry skin and acne... just to name a few.
No, you are spouting old wives tales or some vegan fanatical crap that has long been proven to be untrue, false, myth.
The fungus is normally present on most people's skin. The overgrowth of that fungus for whatever reason, causes dandruff. It has a tendency to run in families or have some hereditary factor.
Heredity is also what causes oily skin, dry skin, etc. Not what you consume. Eating french fries, for example, does not cause acne.
Foods can have some transient, mild effects on body odors: urine, sweat, breath, skin, semen. However, these are short-acting side effects.

Dermatology 101.
ABM

Guildford, Australia

#22 Dec 15, 2008
Thanks UpAtNite..I've been trying everything and reading alot and your words ring true for me. How do I successfully treat this overgrowth of fungus without spending a fortune going to a dermatologist ..which was going to be my next step until this morning..when I found your post.
just got told to type the

Auckland, New Zealand

#26 Apr 14, 2009
typing in the numbers
doctor bhams

Kolkata, India

#28 Jul 9, 2009
stress is the number one factor for these diorders along with unhealthy lifestyles. control these and you will be rid of seborrhea/ dermatitis
derpderp

Claremore, OK

#31 Nov 9, 2009
I disagree with you, UpAtNite.

When I was younger, I had fairly good skin, but I'd break out mildly every week.

Then when I decided I wanted to lose weight, I began eating healthy and... Oh my!... my skin was completely clear.

Fast forward a year and I put on about 40 pounds due to irresponsibility and stress...and my skin is the worst it's ever been in my life.

Now, before you argue solely on the basis of stress, I had been stressed out before even when I was skinny (quite heavily I may add) and I didn't break out as long as I ate well.

So in my experience, food DOES affect your skin --- food affects everything you do and everything your body does! Garbage in, garbage out...it's logical.
Big McDowell

Saint Cloud, FL

#32 Nov 10, 2009
I can jab your head with a knife and kill lice bugs etc! Then I will spray your head with Bio kill that will fix your scalp problems. See you Josh at the grill. Coon spray works very well also!!!
tmack

Bradenton, FL

#33 Jul 20, 2010
I have been using baking soda for my dandruff.
It is apparently a fungus and there is an Italian doctor who says cancer is a fungus and he has been treating cancer with baking soda with apparently amazing results.
So I thought I'd try it on dandruff and it has worked.
I use about a teaspoon in a few ounces of water, mix it up rub it on. I leave it on for a few minutes once a day. I haven't been using any shampoo or conditioner since I started.
I had dry flakey skin on my face which is also much better.
I hope this is helpful to someone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dandruff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How I FINALLY stopped my dandruff... (Feb '08) Oct 4 PeggySue 54
little raised balls of dry skin on scalp (May '09) Sep '14 Singer 110
Several dandruff remedies can relieve itchy, sc... (Apr '09) Sep '14 onegreenguy 15
accounting homework help (Dec '10) Jun '14 tom 2
Home treatment for Dandruff without the use of ... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Mr SAWANT 1
dandruff (Jan '14) Mar '14 Ryan 2
Finally a dandruff shampoo that worked for me! (Dec '13) Feb '14 Tom 2

Dandruff People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE