Rethink prescribed oxygen, researcher...

Rethink prescribed oxygen, researchers say

There are 5 comments on the The Globe and Mail story from Aug 15, 2007, titled Rethink prescribed oxygen, researchers say. In it, The Globe and Mail reports that:

“We know that it's expensive, but we don't know if it's effective”

Large numbers of people who are prescribed oxygen because they get short of breath when they are active do not benefit from the therapy, according to a groundbreaking Canadian study. via The Globe and Mail

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Globe and Mail.

Farrell D Hoagland

United States

#1 Aug 15, 2007
I use my oxygen at night only with a machine that recyles it. Real oxygen I don't use during the day. My inhalers work for me so far. I don't like to carry around my oxygen during the day, so I don't know how well it would do.
Dave

AOL

#2 Jan 21, 2008
When I don't us oxygen my hart rate jumps up by 8-10% when I'm sitting down, more when I get up and do things. For me I think that makes it worth using.
som

Singapore, Singapore

#3 Sep 15, 2008
Hi , my mother is facing serious illness (idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis), i dont have much details about this disease. can some please guide us about the treatment and the medicines.

My email id : amarapalli.roy@iflexsolutions. com
stephanie

Amherst, NH

#4 Oct 23, 2008
just don't think you can smoke if you use a nebulizer or are on oxygen.
if you have copd due to smoking, get help. quitting is hard and most doctors just don't seem to address this.
most people who smoke have an underlying anxiety disorder.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#5 Sep 11, 2009
stephanie wrote:
just don't think you can smoke if you use a nebulizer or are on oxygen.
if you have copd due to smoking, get help. quitting is hard and most doctors just don't seem to address this.
most people who smoke have an underlying anxiety disorder.
My guess is that smokers develop an anxiety about smoking and quitting. It isn't why they smoke.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Copd Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
copd remedies 7 hr PEDRO 1
A Potential Cure for COPD (Dec '11) Apr 23 johan boutella 56
i breath much better - copd cured Apr 12 Joan Rhodarmer 2
Mucus Apr 2 vreeves 1
herbal formula for copd Mar '18 HASLEY 1
COPD and Chronic Pain (Dec '08) Mar '18 Novakwilford 109
Stem Cell Treatment for COPD - Has anyone tried... Feb '18 Unknown24 1