The 10 commandments of cancer prevention

There are 17 comments on the May 18, 2009, The Morning Call story titled The 10 commandments of cancer prevention. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

About one of every three Americans will develop some form of malignancy during his or her lifetime.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

Henrik Eiriksson

Denmark

#1 May 19, 2009
I would like to see your references for this claim of yours:
"don't worry about electromagnetic radiation from high-voltage power lines or radiofrequency radiation from microwaves and cell phones. They do not cause cancer."

You mention tobacco as a cancer risk factor but downplay the risk from microwave exposure from cellphones and other wireless equipment like wifi. Right now there is more scientific evidence showing links between cellphones and health problems than there ever was for tobacco. What is your rationale for your claims?

There is ample scientific evidence, peer-reviewed and published, that clearly demonstrates the genetically damaging properties of cellphone radiation. Take fx. the EU funded, international REFLEX study from 2003 that concluded that cellphone radiation can cause DNA damage at intensities far below the Federal guidelines. Read more here:
http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/marc...

In 2000 the German ECOLOG institute was commissioned by T-Mobile to review the science and they concluded that cellphone radiation is cancer promoting. Not surprisingly, T-Mobile tried to hide that report from the public. Read about it here:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_sty...

Also, it is now widely accepted that high-tension power lines are linked to childhood leukemia - there is even a genetic marker to help determine which children are most at risk. Read more here:
http://www.microwavenews.com/XRCC1.html

Your article reads like wireless-industry propaganda designed to divert public attention away from harmful wireless products.
dr fungus says

Seven Hills, Australia

#2 Oct 27, 2011
while im not disputing tecnological gadgetry link to cancers i like to point out that most diseases are caused by candida or yeast infection even been insulated from ground by footwear where does excess electricity go what our body produces by eating mineral rich food does it corode our body cells make them to divide and lose electron and become unresponsive to whole body function i do not know just asking the question is our mother earth our voltage regulator providing we walk with bare feet notice that primitive people never had modern man diseases untill they start to eat modern man food is our tecnological progress actualy road to our self destruction one should not panic all been approved by relevant authorities
Cell Phones and Radiation

Hackensack, NJ

#3 Oct 28, 2011
FCC is under fire for flaws in their study on cell phone radiation. FoxNews Report with Dr. Samadi: http://youtu.be/XeRy_lPgetM

Since: Sep 13

Bangalore, India

#7 Oct 29, 2013
1. Avoid tobacco in all its forms

2. Eat right

3. Exercise regularly

4. Stay lean

5. Limit alcohol consumption

6. Avoid unnecessary exposure to radiation

7. Avoid exposure to industrial and environmental toxins

8. Avoid infections that contribute to cancer

9. Consider taking low-dose aspirin

10. Get enough vitamin D
One for all All for one

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Nov 6, 2013
sammintu1985 wrote:
1. Avoid tobacco in all its forms
2. Eat right
3. Exercise regularly
4. Stay lean
5. Limit alcohol consumption
6. Avoid unnecessary exposure to radiation
7. Avoid exposure to industrial and environmental toxins
8. Avoid infections that contribute to cancer
9. Consider taking low-dose aspirin
10. Get enough vitamin D
Good list.

I would also add: getting enough sleep - at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every day.

Managing stress and trying to keep it to a minimum if possible.

Avoiding GMO foods (genetically modified organisms). Unfortunately, thanks to Monsanto and President Obama appointing a VP of Monsanto as chairman to the FDA, we can expect that or most food will eventually be unwholesome and help to cause disease in our bodies. Go for organic as much as much as you can. This will help support organic farming, too. It's not always easy, but several stores in the valley do sell organic produce.

Since: Dec 14

Location hidden

#9 Jan 9, 2015
Avoid chewing of tobacco
Eat healthy diet mainly comprise of vegetables, whole gains and fruits
Do regular exercise
Stay lean
Control your alcohol consumption
Avoid exposure to radiation
Avoid exposure to and environmental toxins industrial
Avoid infections that contribute to cancer
Consider taking low-dose aspirin
Get enough vitamin D
An apple a day

Bethlehem, PA

#10 Jan 9, 2015
Around 50 years ago, wheat was a whole natural grain. That later changed when crops weren't sufficient to feed a fast growing population. In order to feed the masses, the wheat grain was altered/genetically modified to resist molds, fungus, bacteria, insects and viruses so as to produce a much larger crop yield. Unfortunately, this process acts as a pesticide and as far as human consumption, it is unhealthy. Over time, consuming commercial food products of which many contain GMO wheat, it can lead to diseases such as certain types of cancers.
Jinx

Spring, TX

#12 Mar 9, 2015
Do these people really think that people who have healthy lifestyles do not get cancer?
An apple a day

Bethlehem, PA

#13 Mar 9, 2015
Some people no matter how healthy will still get cancer. Nothing in this life is a sure thing, but following a healthy lifestyle can certainly help to lower your risk. There are people who unfortunately are predisposed to getting cancer and this is particularly true for those with families who carry an inherited gene for certain types of cancers. I had a close friend who died a few years ago from colon cancer. He was a sales executive for a major company and had to travel often. He always ate in restaurants, but mostly fast food. Hot dogs were one of his favorite foods. He smoked and drank liquor, too. An unhealthy lifestyle probably contributed to his cancer but he also lost his father and 2 brothers to colon cancer so it may have run in his family. All one can do is live as healthy as possible. We live in a polluted world. Our food and water is probably contaminated to some extent. Doctors don't do as much preventive procedures as they use to do years ago, all because of insurance costs. Be alert to any changes in your body, even if it doesn't seem that important. Tell your doctor and if he doesn't believe you or thinks it's nothing to worry about and you're still unsure, seek out another doctor. Better to be safe then sorry later. Also, avoid eating food and beverages that are in a can. The metal leaches into the food and over time, can lead to toxic overload. Your liver does all the filtering for toxins and it can only handle so much. If you have an auto-immune disorder or deficiency, you have to be certain to avoid anything that may help to weaken your immunity further. Not an easy task, but one of the things that can help is avoiding wheat and wheat products. Wheat is highly inflammatory in the body.

Since: Feb 15

India

#14 Mar 12, 2015
For cancer prevention, it is better to eat healthy and exercise regularly. It is true that the disease can affect anyone and we all know there is no treatment to fully cure the deadly disease. In such cases, one should focus on maintaining a good health and avoid eating the food which could worsen the problem.
Suzie

Ajax, Canada

#15 Mar 22, 2015
I have had cancer 3 times and luckily caught in the early stages. I have never smoked( had lung cancer)' exercise and eat healthy. In discussions with my doctor she said that obviously I am predisposed to cancer. You can do everything right and still cancer.

Since: Jan 15

Chandigarh, India

#16 Mar 24, 2015
Very nice article about the cancer prevention. This article is very important because the cancer disease is very dangerous and the people should know how to prevent this disease. Most of the people have died because they don't know the prevention and you are doing a very nice task awaring people through topix. Keep updating similar kind of post.
Angela K

United States

#17 Monday Apr 20
Jinx, you said my thoughts exactly. There are people that can be doing everything right in terms of being healthy and they will still get cancer. I feel like cancer is really on the rise and it makes me sad to see so many people and families suffering because of it. I'm glad that there are some treatments out there and that a lot of people are going into remission if it's caught early enough. I just wish we could find a cure soon. http://www.gradoclinics.com/gallery/southwest...
TruthBeTold

Rochester, MI

#18 Tuesday Apr 21
Suzie wrote:
I have had cancer 3 times and luckily caught in the early stages. I have never smoked( had lung cancer)' exercise and eat healthy. In discussions with my doctor she said that obviously I am predisposed to cancer. You can do everything right and still cancer.
There are many things that are carcinogenic, so the fact you didn't smoke means little...perhaps nana or g-paw smoked around you when you were a baby that started the process, or maybe you were exposed to some toxic fumes in your house as a child, like high concentrations of radon or carbon monoxide.

The point is, just because one gets cancer who doesn't smoke, does not mean that smoking is not the irritant that causes cancer to develop...further; if one is predisposed to cancer, something like smoking simply seals the deal!

To put this a little differently...not every child who doesn't wear a seatbelt will die, but certainly in most cases every child who is involved in an accident that is not buckled in, severely increases the potential for serious or even fatal injuries.

Its like Russian roulette.

Since: Jul 14

Location hidden

#19 Tuesday Apr 21
TruthBeTold wrote:
<quoted text>There are many things that are carcinogenic, so the fact you didn't smoke means little...perhaps nana or g-paw smoked around you when you were a baby that started the process, or maybe you were exposed to some toxic fumes in your house as a child, like high concentrations of radon or carbon monoxide.
The point is, just because one gets cancer who doesn't smoke, does not mean that smoking is not the irritant that causes cancer to develop...further; if one is predisposed to cancer, something like smoking simply seals the deal!
To put this a little differently...not every child who doesn't wear a seatbelt will die, but certainly in most cases every child who is involved in an accident that is not buckled in, severely increases the potential for serious or even fatal injuries.
Its like Russian roulette.
Actually, you have better odds with Russian Roulette because you only have a 1 in 6 chance of killing yourself. Smokers have a 1 in 3 chance of killing themselves. Unlike smoking, playing Russian Roulette will probably not kill bystanders.

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

#20 Tuesday Apr 21
Everyone knows the ill health effects of smoking, but people still do it. Just like everyone knows that sun exposure can cause cancer, yet millions are out getting suntans as we speak.

If you're a sissy that dislikes the odor of tobacco, that's your problem. Go lock yourself in a liberal cocoon at your house so nothing bad can happen to you, and leave the rest of us alone to have fun and live our lives as we see fit.

Since: Jul 14

Location hidden

#21 Tuesday Apr 21
Sneaky Pete wrote:
Everyone knows the ill health effects of smoking, but people still do it. Just like everyone knows that sun exposure can cause cancer, yet millions are out getting suntans as we speak.
If you're a sissy that dislikes the odor of tobacco, that's your problem. Go lock yourself in a liberal cocoon at your house so nothing bad can happen to you, and leave the rest of us alone to have fun and live our lives as we see fit.
Nah....

Sorry, Dude. It is easier (actually, WAY easier) just to ban smoking in certain locations.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colon Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News High vitamin D levels increase survival of pati... Jan '15 Gerald Vonberger 1
News Less invasive may be best way (Jan '14) Apr '14 Deb 5
News City of Toronto refuses to pay for funeral of u... (Jan '14) Jan '14 wild child 8
News FDA approves Amgen colon cancer drug Vectibix (Feb '07) Nov '13 yoram 2
News BLOG: Farrah Fawcett's Cancer Battle Raising Qu... (May '09) Sep '13 bud_schmones 6
News Antidepressant enhances chemotherapy drug (Dec '08) Sep '13 Dashawn 2
News In colon cancer drug study, more wasna t better (Feb '09) Sep '13 Ezekiel 5
More from around the web