Experts say US doctors overtesting, o...

Experts say US doctors overtesting, overtreating

There are 40 comments on the St. Augustine Record story from Mar 12, 2010, titled Experts say US doctors overtesting, overtreating. In it, St. Augustine Record reports that:

Too much cancer screening, too many heart tests, too many cesarean sections. A spate of recent reports suggest that too many Americans - maybe even President Barack Obama - are being overtreated.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at St. Augustine Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Seeking truth

Evansville, IN

#22 Mar 12, 2010
Sounds like the Insurance shills are after the doctors now, trying to force them to not treat patients as the doctors see fit! The shills want to get between the doctors and the patients and make medical decisions.
Seeking truth

Evansville, IN

#23 Mar 12, 2010
Mac-7 wrote:
Thats why Republicans are calling for tort reform.
And medical savings accounts.
No, Republicans just want to make it easier for doctors to be careless, to practice medicine without being accountable to patients.
Seeking truth

Evansville, IN

#24 Mar 12, 2010
Based on another post.....
These People Voted To Get Health Care Reform Rolling
They are doing great. It's the FIRST step to introducing Single Payer.
Write down their name. Get Registered.
Vote FOR them and send a dollar each of them.
They are the same steadfast Progressives that will try
to secure cap and trade for you too.
Send a Message to Washington In November

State-District-Name
AR 1st Berry
AR 2nd Snyder
AZ 1st Kirkpatrick
AZ 4th Pastor
AZ 5th Mitchell
AZ 7th Grijalva
AZ 8th Giffords
CA 1st Thompson
CA 5th Matsui
CA 6th Woolsey
CA 7th Miller
CA 8th Pelosi
CA 9th Lee
CA 10th Garamendi
CA 11th McNerney
CA 12th Speier
CA 13th Stark
CA 14th Eshoo
CA 15th Honda
CA 16th Lofgren
CA 17th Farr
CA 18th Cardoza
CA 20th Costa
CA 23rd Capps
CA 27th Sherman
CA 28th Berman
CA 29th Schiff
CA 30th Waxman
CA 31st Becerra
CA 32nd Chu
CA 33rd Watson
CA 34th Roybal
CA 35th Waters
CA 36th Harman
CA 37th Richardson
CA 38th Napolitano
CA 39th Sánchez
CA 43rd Baca
CA 47th Sanchez
CA 51st Filner
CA 53rd Davis
CO 1st DeGette
CO 2nd Polis
CO 3rd Salazar
CO 7th Perlmutter
CT 1st Larson
CT 2nd Courtney
CT 3rd DeLauro
CT 4th Himes
CT 5th Murphy
Fl 3rd Brown
FL 8th Grayson
FL 11th Castor
FL 17th Meek
FL 19th Wexler
FL 20th Wasserman
FL 22nd Klein
FL 23rd Hastings
GA 2nd Bishop
GA 4th Johnson
GA 5th Lewis
GA 13th Scott
HI 1st Abercrombie
HI 2nd Hirono
IA 1st Braley
IA 2nd Loebsack
IA 3rd Boswell
IL 1st Rush
IL 2nd Jackson
IL 3rd Lipinski
IL 4th Gutierrez
IL 5th Quigley
IL 7th Davis
IL 8th Bean
IL 9th Schakowsky
IL 11th Halvorson
IL 12th Costello
IL 14th Foster
IL 17th Hare
IN 1st Visclosky
IN 2nd Donnelly
IN 7th Carson
IN 8th Ellsworth
IN 9th Hill
KS 3rd Moore
KY 3rd Yarmuth
LA 2nd Cao
MA 1st Olver
MA 2nd Neal
MA 3rd McGovern
MA 4th Frank
MA 5th Tsongas
MA 6th Tierney
MA 7th Markey
MA 8th Capuano
MA 9th Lynch
MA 10th Delahunt
MD 2nd Ruppersberger
MD 3rd Sarbanes
MD 4th Edwards
MD 5th Hoyer
MD 7th Cummings
MD 8th Van Hollen
ME 1st Pingree
ME 2nd Michaud
MI 1st Stupak
MI 5th Kildee
MI 7th Schauer
MI 9th Peters
MI 12th Levin
MI 13th Kilpatrick
MI 14th Conyers
MI 15th Dingell
MO 1st Clay
MO 3rd Carnahan
MO 5th Cleaver
MN 1st Walz
MN 4th McCollum
MN 5th Ellison
MN 8th Oberstar
MS 2nd Thompson
NC 1st Butterfield
NC 2nd Etheridge
NC 4th Price
NC 12th Watt
NC 13th Miller
ND Pomeroy
NH 1st Shea-Porter
NH 2nd Hodes
NJ 1st Andrews
NJ 6th Pallone
NJ 8th Pascrell
NJ 9th Rothman
NJ 10th Payne
NJ 12th Holt
NJ 13th Sires
NM 1st Heinrich
NM 3th Luján
NY 1st Bishop
NY 2nd Israel
NY 4th McCarthy
NY 5th Ackerman
NY 6th Meeks
NY 7th Crowley
NY 8th Nadler
NY 9th Weiner
NY 10th Towns
NY 11th Clarke
NY 12th Velázquez
NY 14th Maloney
NY 15th Rangel(GONE!)YEY!
NY 16th Serrano
NY 17th Engel
NY 18th Lowey
NY 19th Hall
NY 21st Tonko
NY 22nd Hinchey
NY 23rd Owens
NY 24th Arcuri
NY 25th Maffei
NY 27th Higgins
NY 28th Slaughter
NV 1st Berkley
NV 3rd Titus
OH 1st Driehaus
OH 6th Wilson
OH 9th Kaptur
OH 11th Fudge
OH 13th Sutton
OH 15th Kilroy
OH 17th Ryan
OH 18th Space
OR 1st Wu
OR 3rd Blumenauer
OR 4th DeFazio
OR 5th Schrader
PA 1st Brady
PA 2nd Fattah
PA 3rd Dahlkemper
PA 7th Sestak
PA 8th Murphy
PA 10th Carney
PA 11th Kanjorski
PA 12th Murtha
PA 13th Schwartz
PA 14th Doyle
RI 1st Kennedy
RI 2nd Langevin
SC 5th Sprat
SC 6th Clyburn
TN 5th Cooper
TN 9th Cohen
TX 9th Green
TX 15th Hinojosa
TX 16th Reyes
TX 18th Jackson
TX 20th Gonzalez
TX 23rd Rodriguez
TX 25th Doggett
TX 27th Ortiz
TX 28th Cuellar
TX 29th Green
TX 30th Johnson
VA 11th Connolly
VA 8th Moran
VA 5th Perriello
VA 3rd Scott
VT Welch
WA 6th Dicks
WA 1st Inslee
WA 2nd Larsen
WA 7th McDermott
WA 9th Smith
WI 2nd Baldwin
WI 3rd Kind
WI 4th Moore
WI 7th Obey
WI 8th Kagen
WV 1st Mollohan
WV 3rd Rahall

AMEN

PS They also gave 98% of us a tax cut!
Suenos A

West Palm Beach, FL

#25 Mar 12, 2010
The overtreating and overtesting has two motives.. money and lawyers. Lawsuits come from patients eager to file for money grabs from hospitals and insurance companies. These institutions then fear lawsuits so this is the current state of affairs.

S.A.
http://www.SuenosAzules.com

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#26 Mar 12, 2010
Suenos A wrote:
The overtreating and overtesting has two motives.. money and lawyers. Lawsuits come from patients eager to file for money grabs from hospitals and insurance companies. These institutions then fear lawsuits so this is the current state of affairs.
S.A.
http://www.SuenosAzules.com
you forgot one thing - FRAUD.
The Last of the Mohicans

Clermont, FL

#28 Mar 13, 2010
Seeking truth wrote:
Sounds like the Insurance shills are after the doctors now, trying to force them to not treat patients as the doctors see fit! The shills want to get between the doctors and the patients and make medical decisions.
This is probably more the case...My wife just went through major surgery and we had to wait to get a approval from the insurance company to have an MRI done which held up the diagnosis, the x-ray wasn't showing what was causing the problem...Then, after the MRI it was very clear what the problem was and surgery was the only way to correct it, again, we had to wait for the insurance company to approve the surgery...They didn't want her to be admitted into the hospital, they wanted it done as outpatient surgery, yes a MAJOR surgery...The surgeon said he doesn't do what insurance companies want, that he does what is best for the patient, and he admitted my wife after the surgery, she went home after two days...Many years ago my wife had a c-section as it was the only way to save my daughter AND wife...After going through what we had been through, I can tell you two (2) things:

1) Insurance companies are out to pay as little as possible.

2) Doctors for the most part are not over treating their patients or running unnecessary tests.

I thank my lucky stars that we have had the doctors and surgeons we've had, because the outcome could have been very different had they not ran those tests and let the insurance company cheap out on us...The problem is not the doctors, its the insurance companies

However, I think if we went to a more socialized medical system in this country, my wife probably would have had to wait to get her surgery done and the outcome would have been very different...We need insurance reform that makes the insurance companies spend more on the patient instead of putting more in the pockets of the insurance executives pocket for starters…

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#29 Mar 13, 2010
The Last of the Mohicans wrote:
<quoted text>
This is probably more the case...My wife just went through major surgery and we had to wait to get a approval from the insurance company to have an MRI done which held up the diagnosis, the x-ray wasn't showing what was causing the problem...Then, after the MRI it was very clear what the problem was and surgery was the only way to correct it, again, we had to wait for the insurance company to approve the surgery...They didn't want her to be admitted into the hospital, they wanted it done as outpatient surgery, yes a MAJOR surgery...The surgeon said he doesn't do what insurance companies want, that he does what is best for the patient, and he admitted my wife after the surgery, she went home after two days...Many years ago my wife had a c-section as it was the only way to save my daughter AND wife...After going through what we had been through, I can tell you two (2) things:
1) Insurance companies are out to pay as little as possible.
2) Doctors for the most part are not over treating their patients or running unnecessary tests.
I thank my lucky stars that we have had the doctors and surgeons we've had, because the outcome could have been very different had they not ran those tests and let the insurance company cheap out on us...The problem is not the doctors, its the insurance companies
However, I think if we went to a more socialized medical system in this country, my wife probably would have had to wait to get her surgery done and the outcome would have been very different...We need insurance reform that makes the insurance companies spend more on the patient instead of putting more in the pockets of the insurance executives pocket for starters…
you only need to review the profit margins of the insurance companies to know your assumption is false.

would you rather the insurance companies go bankrupt? health care would go up if that happened.

do you even understand the concept of insurance companies?..everybody pitching in a little so that some of us can benefit when the need arises.
Hans

United States

#30 Mar 13, 2010
The reason healthcare is going broke (along with some states) is giving free healthcare to illegals who don't pay. The cost is "shifted" to those who have insurance. Overtesting? Tell that to a cancer surviver who was saved because their cancer was detected early by an "overtest".
The Last of the Mohicans

Clermont, FL

#31 Mar 13, 2010
Hans wrote:
The reason healthcare is going broke (along with some states) is giving free healthcare to illegals who don't pay. The cost is "shifted" to those who have insurance. Overtesting? Tell that to a cancer surviver who was saved because their cancer was detected early by an "overtest".
That and the fact our emergency rooms rooms are being used as a doctor office, and then people skip out on paying the bill...
The Last of the Mohicans

Clermont, FL

#32 Mar 13, 2010
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
you only need to review the profit margins of the insurance companies to know your assumption is false.
would you rather the insurance companies go bankrupt? health care would go up if that happened.
do you even understand the concept of insurance companies?..everybody pitching in a little so that some of us can benefit when the need arises.
I fully understand the concept of insurance, and you're nieve if you think the insurance companies are poor:

Aetna Inc.(AET):
Revenue:$32.67 Billion
Gross Profit:$8.23 Billion

Unitedhealth Group, Inc.(UNH):
Revenue:$84.27 Billion
Gross Profit:$6.24 Billion

Tenet Healthcare Corp (THC):
Revenue:$8.89 Billion
Gross Profit:$4.85 Billion

And the above are obviously just a few HC insurance companies, I don't have a problem with any company making a profit, that is why they are in business...What I have a problem with is the fact I pay money to have insurance for my family and myself for a reason...In other words, I would perfer (as well as everybody else) that every attempt to improve the quality of life take precident over stuffing copius amounts of money into CEO's of insurance executives pockets! Wake the PHUCK UP!
Algernon Sidney

Lakewood, OH

#33 Mar 13, 2010
The Last of the Mohicans wrote:
<quoted text>
I fully understand the concept of insurance, and you're nieve if you think the insurance companies are poor:
Aetna Inc.(AET):
Revenue:$32.67 Billion
Gross Profit:$8.23 Billion
Unitedhealth Group, Inc.(UNH):
Revenue:$84.27 Billion
Gross Profit:$6.24 Billion
Tenet Healthcare Corp (THC):
Revenue:$8.89 Billion
Gross Profit:$4.85 Billion
And the above are obviously just a few HC insurance companies, I don't have a problem with any company making a profit, that is why they are in business...What I have a problem with is the fact I pay money to have insurance for my family and myself for a reason...In other words, I would perfer (as well as everybody else) that every attempt to improve the quality of life take precident over stuffing copius amounts of money into CEO's of insurance executives pockets! Wake the PHUCK UP!
How is gross profit defined?
Carol

Fort Smith, AR

#34 Mar 13, 2010
lol this is no surprise. Congress has been saying this lately too. You know why? Because they have to cut back on everything you recieive in health care under the disguise of protecting you. The right and the left seem to both have the same story. We will protect you if you let us control you....and of course theres a high cost. Feed your kids....nahhhh you dont need to do that. We need the money more. Constitution? whats that????

“Did U plug the damn hole yet?”

Since: Jan 08

Addison, TX

#35 Mar 13, 2010
Chaos wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans are calling for arbitrary caps in medical malpractice cases limiting compensation to legitimate victims rather than changing the medical malpractice burden of proof from a preponderance of evidence to clear and convincing evidence. The latter deters frivolous suits by making it too costly for lawyers to bother while not screwing over the more obvious victims. The Republican cap plan doesn't.
"Republicans are calling for arbitrary caps in medical malpractice cases limiting compensation to legitimate victims rather than changing the medical malpractice burden of proof from a preponderance of evidence to clear and convincing evidence."

You are almost right.

Republicans want to limit the pain and suffering part of the awards to a pre-set figure.

There has never been any limit proposed on the amount paid for treatment and care of people harmed or disabled by medical malpractice.
Carol

Fort Smith, AR

#36 Mar 13, 2010
I think the left, just like the right has cut deals with the insurance companies. They will get bigger and bigger and more powerful. We will be forced to buy insurance against the constitution and we will get less for it under the pretense of protecting us. We will never be allowed to just go to a doctor and pay for it ourselves again. Another massive scam helped by government.
Phil McCracken

Philadelphia, PA

#37 Mar 13, 2010
The Last of the Mohicans wrote:
<quoted text>
I fully understand the concept of insurance, and you're nieve if you think the insurance companies are poor:
Aetna Inc.(AET):
Revenue:$32.67 Billion
Gross Profit:$8.23 Billion
Unitedhealth Group, Inc.(UNH):
Revenue:$84.27 Billion
Gross Profit:$6.24 Billion
Tenet Healthcare Corp (THC):
Revenue:$8.89 Billion
Gross Profit:$4.85 Billion
And the above are obviously just a few HC insurance companies, I don't have a problem with any company making a profit, that is why they are in business...What I have a problem with is the fact I pay money to have insurance for my family and myself for a reason...In other words, I would perfer (as well as everybody else) that every attempt to improve the quality of life take precident over stuffing copius amounts of money into CEO's of insurance executives pockets! Wake the PHUCK UP!
You, sir, are either an IDIOT, or typical Rahm Emanuel flunky, you can pick for yourself. Typical democrap manipulating information to mislead others. Below, I have put a link to the Wall Street Journal Online's breakdown of AET's earnings. The numbers are different than yours, so you may want to reference your own sources.

You will note that Operating Income [Operating Revenues less Operating Expenses] is $1.9 billion, or 5.5% of Total 2009 Revenues of $34.8 billion. Those with the slightest experience in analyzing companies know that a 5.5% Operating Margin is not all that impressive. Verizon [VZ], for example, has a 13% Operating Margin while Apple [AAPL] enjoys a whopping 27.4% operating margin.

Your use of Gross Margin conveniently leaves out the majority of Aetna's expenses. But, of course, why would you want to include all of the pertinent information when it would blow up your argument that insurance companies are bilking the American public, when, in fact, they are not?

Do you think that The Savior is naive enough not to know this? He is a smart man, he knows the profit margins of these insurance companies....he just chooses to lie to the American public.

http://online.wsj.com/quotes/a_earnings.html...
The Last of the Mohicans

Clermont, FL

#40 Mar 13, 2010
Phil McCracken wrote:
<quoted text>
You, sir, are either an IDIOT, or typical Rahm Emanuel flunky, you can pick for yourself. Typical democrap manipulating information to mislead others. Below, I have put a link to the Wall Street Journal Online's breakdown of AET's earnings. The numbers are different than yours, so you may want to reference your own sources.
You will note that Operating Income [Operating Revenues less Operating Expenses] is $1.9 billion, or 5.5% of Total 2009 Revenues of $34.8 billion. Those with the slightest experience in analyzing companies know that a 5.5% Operating Margin is not all that impressive. Verizon [VZ], for example, has a 13% Operating Margin while Apple [AAPL] enjoys a whopping 27.4% operating margin.
Your use of Gross Margin conveniently leaves out the majority of Aetna's expenses. But, of course, why would you want to include all of the pertinent information when it would blow up your argument that insurance companies are bilking the American public, when, in fact, they are not?
Do you think that The Savior is naive enough not to know this? He is a smart man, he knows the profit margins of these insurance companies....he just chooses to lie to the American public.
http://online.wsj.com/quotes/a_earnings.html...
Hey McCrackhead, How many millions are in 1.9 billion?
Jones

“It's about the American People”

Since: Jun 07

Flushing, NY

#41 Mar 13, 2010
Eleanor wrote:
I bet you that the uninsured don't get overtested or overtreated.
If everyone had to pay cash out of their pockets for all these procedures and medications, I would bet there would be far less testing and far fewer medications being taken.
Those doctors sure do LOVE the insured .... <cha-ching>
You are wrong. The 35 million uninsured are the illegal immigrant criminals from all over the world and their families that suck our tax money like parasites and do not pay any taxes because the liberal Democrats needs their fraudulent vote. Certainly, Only the corrupt fraudulent Liberals of the Democratic Party but not the American people must pay for the free healthcare for the illegal criminals in return for their vote for them.
Phil McCracken

Philadelphia, PA

#42 Mar 13, 2010
The Last of the Mohicans wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey McCrackhead, How many millions are in 1.9 billion?
1900.

Regardless, I stand by my analysis, do YOU?

Companies like AET are publicly traded companies, whose mission statements, among other things, is to maximize shareholder value. Below I have included a link to Yahoo Finance which shows the largest shareholders in Aetna [AET]. It just so happens that these largest shareholders of AET are also some of the largest money managers of 401(k) and pension funds. Do you have a 401-k, or participate in a pension fund? If so, and assuming that you are a rational investor, you would want your money manager to maximize your investment dollar, no?

I reiterate my previous stance, AET has an operating margin of 5.5%, a very modest return relative to other blue chip companies. At such an operating margin, it is extremely dificult to argue that AET is bilking its customers while at the same time providing a modest return to their investors.

I welcome cogent arguments to the contrary, but as of yet, you have yet to provide one...

“Did U plug the damn hole yet?”

Since: Jan 08

Addison, TX

#44 Mar 14, 2010
Seeking truth wrote:
<quoted text>

No, Republicans just want to make it easier for doctors to be careless, to practice medicine without being accountable to patients.
I don't think doctors as a group are bad people who can only be made to do right by the heavy hand of government.

They are usually of above average intelligence who studied very hard and very long to be doctors.

There are a few who are bad and should be driven out of practice but most are nowhere near the greedy jerks that Obama accuses them of being.

Under tort reform any settlements will go to the medical care of the patients who were harmed rather than the ambulance chasing lawyers.

That seems like a good thing for everyone except the trial lawyers and the Democrat Party they support.

“cosmeticsurgeryd elhi”

Since: Apr 10

Delhi

#46 Apr 17, 2010
Hi...Friends

I can't sat that but may be....
But the treatment are so costally there....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colon Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
My Experience With Colon Cancer Mar '17 RustyDodge 2
News Editorial: Colon Cancer Awareness Should Start ... Mar '17 truth is illusion 1
News Cancer patient donates years' worth of pizza to... Dec '16 Knock off purse s... 7
News Loss of ARID1A protein drives onset and progres... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News Former employee sues county (Dec '16) Dec '16 FaTTY 1
News The 10 commandments of cancer prevention (May '09) Dec '16 Trying to be hopeful 36
News When to give up: Treatment or comfort for late-... (Jun '16) Jun '16 betty 2
More from around the web