Quick. Painless. Lifesaving. Still, f...

Quick. Painless. Lifesaving. Still, fear factor keeps many away from colonoscopy

There are 11 comments on the El Paso Times story from Apr 10, 2011, titled Quick. Painless. Lifesaving. Still, fear factor keeps many away from colonoscopy. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Ron Corbett, center, his wife, Isela Corbett, both had colonoscopies done by Dr.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

LMN El Paso

El Paso, TX

#1 Apr 11, 2011
I had one of these done about 3 yrs. ago and it was BRUTAL. They used as much med. on me as they could but my tolerance was so high due to my current meds. that they just kept going with the scope in spite of my pleas to stop. Make SURE your Dr. knows what meds. you are on that might inhibit the effect of the "twilight sleep". Next time I'll have to have anesthesia for this to be done. If not done properly it can be extremely painful.
SKC Lansing Michigan

Lansing, MI

#2 Apr 11, 2011
I have had two colonoscopies in the past 3 years...the first literally saved my life. By the time I had it, I had developed Stage 3 colon cancer and had a large part of my small colon removed and an illiostmy applied. I am so grateful for this test. The worst part of the colonoscopy for me is the prep. I have trouble getting and keeping down the prepared mixture.
I am now a volunteer patient advocate in the very hospital that saved my life. Please, please have your colonoscopy if one is needed...the life you save WILL be your own!!
It beats dying

El Paso, TX

#3 Apr 11, 2011
My mother died of colon cancer.....it took more than a year and she was in the hospital the last 3 months on seriously heavy pain medications. Not the sort of life I want to lead. I had my first colonoscopy in 1998 after an attempt to do a sigmoidoscopy by a unnescesarily brutal doctor failed. The exam resulted in having some 300 small polyps removed and another one a few weeks later to remove a tumor in the rectum which was benign. Since then I have had 5 more and all have been no recurrence of polyps or tumor. The prep involves taking laxatives and enemas to cleanse the colon.......no not pleasant at all and the taste is nasty but it certainly cannot compare with the pain I watched my mother have nor the horrid death she died. I have lost a lot of friends to cancer since then and it was painful to all of them even though they did not all have colon cancer! This can be prevented, stopped in it's tracks, and you can live a normal life span. Don't be afraid to have it done!
Have your first one by age 40 or sooner if anyone in your family has ever had colon cancer. If that one is clean they will ask you to repeat it in 2 years and thereafter every 4 years if it is also a clean exam.
Prep

El Paso, TX

#4 Apr 11, 2011
It beats dying wrote:
My mother died of colon cancer.....it took more than a year and she was in the hospital the last 3 months on seriously heavy pain medications. Not the sort of life I want to lead. I had my first colonoscopy in 1998 after an attempt to do a sigmoidoscopy by a unnescesarily brutal doctor failed. The exam resulted in having some 300 small polyps removed and another one a few weeks later to remove a tumor in the rectum which was benign. Since then I have had 5 more and all have been no recurrence of polyps or tumor. The prep involves taking laxatives and enemas to cleanse the colon.......no not pleasant at all and the taste is nasty but it certainly cannot compare with the pain I watched my mother have nor the horrid death she died. I have lost a lot of friends to cancer since then and it was painful to all of them even though they did not all have colon cancer! This can be prevented, stopped in it's tracks, and you can live a normal life span. Don't be afraid to have it done!
Have your first one by age 40 or sooner if anyone in your family has ever had colon cancer. If that one is clean they will ask you to repeat it in 2 years and thereafter every 4 years if it is also a clean exam.
Excellent Post! If you are not happy with the Go-Lytely Prep - ask for the Movie Prep - It's half of the volume that you have to drink and it does a good job. Just don't plan on doing anything but staying near the bathroom the night before the colonoscopy. As for the colonoscopy - they will give you conscious sedation and the last thing you will remember is saying hello to the Doctor. You will not feel anything, and you will not remember anything about the procedure. If your examination is normal, you won't have to have this done again for 5 or more years.
Roman Sparks

Washington, DC

#5 Apr 11, 2011
I was diagnosed with colon cancer by Dr. Patel when I was 46 years old. No symptoms at all. This test saved my life as I had stage 3 colon cancer. If undetected I had only a few years left to live. I would HIGHLY recommend ALL MEN (and women) to get a test at 45 years old and not 50. The medical field says 50, but that is for insurance purposes. They don't want to pay for it.

The bottom line is if you want live get yourself checked at 45 and no later. It's your life. I'm alive today because it was caught in time. No chemo. Nothing. I thank God everyday that I'm alive!
meh_

Seminole, FL

#6 Apr 11, 2011
Roman Sparks wrote:
I was diagnosed with colon cancer by Dr. Patel when I was 46 years old. No symptoms at all. This test saved my life as I had stage 3 colon cancer. If undetected I had only a few years left to live. I would HIGHLY recommend ALL MEN (and women) to get a test at 45 years old and not 50. The medical field says 50, but that is for insurance purposes. They don't want to pay for it.
The bottom line is if you want live get yourself checked at 45 and no later. It's your life. I'm alive today because it was caught in time. No chemo. Nothing. I thank God everyday that I'm alive!
Thanks for your post, great advice.
Bird Face Flocka

El Paso, TX

#7 Apr 11, 2011
What made you think they would even like you in the first place? Don't be a coward, answer the question.
LMN El Paso

El Paso, TX

#8 Apr 12, 2011
Prep wrote:
<quoted text> Excellent Post! If you are not happy with the Go-Lytely Prep - ask for the Movie Prep - It's half of the volume that you have to drink and it does a good job. Just don't plan on doing anything but staying near the bathroom the night before the colonoscopy. As for the colonoscopy - they will give you conscious sedation and the last thing you will remember is saying hello to the Doctor. You will not feel anything, and you will not remember anything about the procedure. If your examination is normal, you won't have to have this done again for 5 or more years.
I already commented on this but I'll say it again. Get the right Dr. & tell him about all of your meds. I had the conscious sedation and as an RN I know exactly what that is. It had absolutely no effect on me and the Dr. just kept going with the test. I reported him to the Board of Med. for abuse and continuing an exam after expressly being asked to stop but, of course, he went unpenalized. I had mine done right here in El Paso. Most people know nothing after the procedure because the medication has an amnesic which causes you to forget what was done. Yes, it is life saving and absolutely necessary but NO patient should have to go through that kind of pain. Be your own patient advocate! Be aware, ask your Dr. what will happen if the sedation doesn't effect you. I'm tired of hearing how painless this procedure is when I now know better. I've assisted with colonoscopies when they didn't give any sedation years and years ago. Now that sedation is available, at least make sure it will work for you or see if you need an anesthesiologist to put you out. They can't do that in an endoscopy lab so special arrangements have to be made. I would have gladly repeated the prep and come back for anesthesia than to go through the pain I had to endure.

Since: Aug 10

El Paso, TX

#9 Apr 12, 2011
I think if you have no children (that you care about) or a cool job, go ahead and skip this test. Without one of those, being old is worthless.
Wacka Flacka Jenna

El Paso, TX

#10 Apr 12, 2011
YOu still haven't answered my question atleast between these bands and I there is love, infation, interest, magic, and lust. We adore each other. Why did you ever think they would ever like something like you. Can you explain, what do you see in yourself
Skip amnesia drugs

Pittsburgh, PA

#11 Aug 8, 2011
When a neighbor (an anesthesia doc) told me that most colonoscopy patients are awake and moaning/crying/scraming but are given amnesia drugs to temporarily "forget" the procedure (Versed/midazolam) I could not believe how barbaric this is! and most patients get Versed without being told of it's amnesia properties (read askapatient.com )..if that doesn't scare you, othing will. I', 50 and have a terible family history of colon cancer, but when the GI clinic told me that I "had" to get Versed, I cancelled my colonoscopy ........my neighbor said that she would arrange for me to get propofol (no docs would consent to Versed)..but I'm still too scared to trust the GI docs who were ready to give me Versed without any disclosures of the risks: long-term memory damage, PTSD etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colon Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Are African-Americans at Greater Risk for C... (Jul '17) Jul '17 SBTAmazing 1
My Experience With Colon Cancer (Mar '17) Mar '17 RustyDodge 2
News Editorial: Colon Cancer Awareness Should Start ... (Mar '17) Mar '17 truth is illusion 1
News Cancer patient donates years' worth of pizza to... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Knock off purse s... 7
News Loss of ARID1A protein drives onset and progres... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News Former employee sues county (Dec '16) Dec '16 FaTTY 1
News The 10 commandments of cancer prevention (May '09) Dec '16 Trying to be hopeful 36
More from around the web