This cure is simple -- limiting the total carbohydrates consumed to 72 grams per day. I know there is not a lot of support with either the still-recommended-but-outdated food pyramid or the general consensus that the low carb diet is a tried, but failed, diet fad. And of course there is the addiction to carbs. But there is just too much research out there to ignore; research that collectively shows that reducing carbs can help with many health issues.
In the book "Life Without Bread", written by Christian Allan, Ph.D., and Wolfgang Lutz, M.D., there is one study by Dr. Lutz for patients with ulcerative colitis that I think you will find astonishing. Here is an excerpt from the book:
"Even though ulcerative colitis responds to low-carbohydrate (72 grams/day) nutrition, its course is not as rapid as that of Crohn’s disease. However, very positive results have been observed using the low-carbohydrate diet for ulcerative colitis patients.
Of the first 74 patients treated until 1979 with a low-carbohydrate diet, approximately 60% were without complaints after two years. They had normal laboratory values and normal rectal mucosa. The remaining 40% took longer to stabilize. Some of these patients required up to 8 years until the bleeding stopped, iron levels normalized, and diarrhea and abdominal pain subsided.
Whoever believes they can get rid of their colitis in a few months is mistaken. But one has to see the success of the diet in relation to its alternatives; there are none we know of that can give these overall results."
What is amazing is that 90% of all the patients were without symptoms after almost 8 years. This is exciting, especially since eating healthy and reducing carbs cured my daughter. In April 2002, we discovered blood in my daughter's stools. She was only six years old, and after extensive tests she was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.
Here are four rules we all follow, even thought Anne is the only one in the family with ulcerative colitis:
1. Limit the total carbs per day to 72 grams of carbs. While this is not always possible, this is the overall goal each day.
2. Eat more protein with each meal to reduce the craving for sugar and junk food. One rule of thumb is to divide your weight in half, then eat that much protein grams per day. For example I try to eat 25 grams of protein for each meal, or a total of 75 grams per day (see the "Potatoes, not Prozac" book). We love the whey protein shake from Trader Joes.
3. Eat more non-inflammatory foods: wild-caught salmon and tuna, spinach, broccoli, oranges, yogurts, blueberries, organic strawberries, for example.
4. Drastically reduce omega-6 foods such as soybean oil, found in Miracle Whip, and eat more omega-3 foods such omega-3 eggs and grass-fed beef, etc.
The result of all this? Anne has not had a single flare-up of her disease since October 3rd, 2003. She has not been on preventative medications for over two years.
Please don't dismiss this as luck or genetics. Anne was getting progressively worse, not better. We are still scared, since we don't eat as healthy as we would like. Anne still eats ice-cream, candy, cookies, etc. It is just in moderation to the extent possible, which is pretty difficult given all the holidays, celebrations, and basically unhealthy school lunches. But we will keep trying to eat healthy.
Posted at http://askcolleenbean.blogspot.com/2009/09/cu...