Shobir

UK

#1 Jun 13, 2011
I wanted to know what the best cold sore remedies are to get rid of a cold sore in 12 hours. I know 12 hours is stretching it however I know that some people get rid of theirs in less. I would really like to include it in my blog so I can help others.

[URL=" http://www.coldsoreremedieshq.com "]http://www.coldsorereme dieshq.com[/URL]

Many Thanks
Christine Copenhaven

Cambridge, MA

#2 Sep 10, 2011
As a truthful attempt to help, honestly, get this book and work the program. You will learn how to eliminate cold sores altogether. I know it's tough to deal with. Good luck to you. www.resoration2wellbeing.com
Lynn

Ajax, Canada

#3 Sep 11, 2011
I have had constant cold sores for a year and a half, tried everything, anitbiotics, Abreva, staying away from certain foods(chocolate, brown rice etc.)One would go away then another. Was so frustrating, so here I am to give everyone the one and only way that helped me to get rid of them....OIL OF OREGANO. I have been taking 3 drops 3 times a day(under the tongue with water) for 3 weeks now, now cutting back to 3 drops 2 times a day, also I put it on the cold sore(till it goes away). NO COLD SORES FOR WEEKS NOW.....SO HAPPY!! You can get it at a health food store, also have seen it a drug stores and some grocery stores. It does taste awful and when applying it to the cold sore it will sting for a few minutes. I hope this helps someone out there. The type I use is Hedd Wyn

Since: Sep 11

Gunpo, Korea

#4 Sep 14, 2011
Hi Lynn,
I've also tried Abreva but it didn't help so I started using oil of oregano as well. I read about it here:
http://www.discolorationofskin.com/ColdSore

They have a number of cold sore home remedies. Some have showed great results for me, and others have been a minimal help. But the important thing to know is that different remedies work for different people. Our bodies are all unique.
Topeka

United States

#5 Oct 10, 2011
Hey I know this post is a little old, but I wanted to share my two cents in case you check back! I've been struggling with cold sores for years, sometimes getting one or two a month, tried pretty much everything I ever heard of and I finally got them under control. My remedy:

1) Lysine supplements. NOT lysine cream, don't waste your money - it doesn't do a thing. I've read mixed results from clinical trials on lysine with cold sores, but for me it works wonders. I take 1000mg of lysine every day along with my regular multivitamin, and it keeps me cold sore free. Of course there are times when I forget to restock/etc. and then sometimes I flare up. But when I do get a sore, I pop 2000mg lysine right away (the sooner the better, like with any cold sore treatment) and sometimes that will prevent it altogether. You can get them at the drug store or even a supermarket in the vitamin aisle, and they generally come in 500mg and 1000mg tablets. Unless you can swallow pills like a champ go with the 500's, the 1000's are like horse pills.

2) Valtrex. I know it's not very glamorous to admit you have 'herpes' to your doctor or your pharmacist but believe me, you won't care once you try it. So go get a prescription so you have it for next time - your doc might not suggest it because Valtrex wasn't always indicated for cold sores, but go ahead and tell him or her that's what you want. For cold sores, the package insert tells you to take 2000mg at the first sign of a cold sore (or as soon as possible) and then another 2000mg 12-hours later. Yes it's a lot of medicine, but I don't get any negative side effects from it.

3) Campho-phenique. Globs and globs of campho phenique. It smells and tastes terrible but it will dry the living crap out of your cold sore. I apply it all day when I feel a sore coming on and until its healed. Works great.

Also I use Carmex daily when I'm going to be out in the sun (both to prevent and to treat).

With that remedy and just a little luck 12-24 hours is totally reasonable.

And DO NOT listen to anyone who says to use:
- peroxide (this makes the stuff inside your cold sore come to the surface, but doesn't speed healing, so you really just end up with a yellowish sore instead of a red one. not cute)
- nail polish remover (hurts like hell and does NOT help)
- household cleaners/disinfectants of any kind (obvious)
- scalding hot water or tea bags (this will bring out MORE blisters)

Abreva also doesn't do anything, and at $20 for a little mini tube I'd say don't bother. Campho is way better and way cheaper.

Also never squeeze, poke, or pop. Not with your fingers, not with a sterilized needle, not with anything. It might feel like you're doing yourself a favor but 3 more will just come back in its place. Don't do it!!

Hope that helps you :)
Bloomingsage

Nampa, ID

#7 Jun 7, 2012
now i know that you arent suposed to pop them but really the only thing that honestly has worked for me is to cut it open and dry it out until it is gone. I take lysine and I've tried some of the strongest creams and pills out there but none of them really made much of a difference.
I tried using a needle at first but that just made it worse. now i use cuticle cuters and lots of rubbing alcohol. don't let it get anywhere and be careful not to reuse tissues or cotten balls.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#8 Aug 27, 2012
Shobir wrote:
I wanted to know what the best cold sore remedies are to get rid of a cold sore in 12 hours. I know 12 hours is stretching it however I know that some people get rid of theirs in less. I would really like to include it in my blog so I can help others.
[URL=" http://www.coldsoreremedieshq.com "]http://www.coldsorereme dieshq.com[/URL]
Many Thanks
That's incredibly fast lol. I've been letting people know about what I use:

http://www.dermabiologics.com

Mine go away within a day using the DermaVir product

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#10 Dec 28, 2012
Hannah,
Just wanted to say thanks for the cold sore link. It was exactly what I was looking for!
Hannah22 wrote:
Hi Lynn,
I've also tried Abreva but it didn't help so I started using oil of oregano as well. I read about it here:
http://www.discolorationofskin.com/ColdSore
They have a number of cold sore home remedies. Some have showed great results for me, and others have been a minimal help. But the important thing to know is that different remedies work for different people. Our bodies are all unique.
anonymus

Hyattsville, MD

#11 Feb 1, 2013
not helpful
anonymous

Windsor, Canada

#12 Dec 10, 2013
just take a valtrex and its gone, quickest way to get rid of it.
Sore

Newport, Australia

#16 Jul 23, 2014
I was fortunate to be dormant for about ten years until a few months ago. My come back surprised me. Fortunately the first was small and not so aggressive. Three weeks later and bam, a massive outbreak which covered the whole right side of my chin past my jaw. I was in so much pain. In retrospect I treated this terribly. I tried the nail polish remover "trick" and I swear this is what made it spread, reduced healing time and created secondary infections due to a lack of any form of medicine being applied. I had 3 smaller outbreaks in the same spot since. I have read that if you are dormant and have an outbreak it is likely to continue. I have one right now. Same spot, large... In fact it's two that have joined forces... but not as large or aggressive as earlier. I have learnt every cold sore is different for me. I now take famiclovir, which has in the past prevented them popping up but this time did not. I have noticed it healing much faster though. This drug is amazing and other than experiencing dry peeling eyelids ( not as ugly as the sore) I have no side effects. I use topical creams like zorvirax and tentatively used hydrogen peroxide 3% to dry it and tea tree antiseptic and coconut oil to heal. Seems to be doing well. All I can stress to you in medicate your sore and don't use crap like nail polish remover. It was help those fortunate to have teeny tiny saws that dwarf some pimples... Major attacks need medication. Natural remedies like coconut oil and tea tree are brilliant for the healing phase. I am also overloading on a Lysene zinc and vitamin c pill that I was continue to take daily from now on. Remember every sore is different and unpredictable. Defend yourself with precautions like Lysene and medicate the bastard.. Or in my case bastards :-)

Since: Dec 14

Calgary, Canada

#19 Jan 29, 2015
Hello, in terms of cold sore treatments there are two options: over the counter or medicated. Medicated is my least favorite, I didn't enjoy the effect it took on my body. So I've taken on more natural remedies, like eating better and avoiding things like stress. Meanwhile, I use applicator products like Intercept CS, interceptcoldsore.com , for keeping the cold sores that do appear at a minimum.

Hopefully this helps! Take care. David
kfrohbie

Mesa, AZ

#20 Wednesday Mar 11
I am really excited about the remedy I just found! I had two nasty blisters pop up overnight, so by the time I woke up, they were in full force and it was too late for Abreeva or anything like that. What I did, I had never tried anything like before. My cold sores generally last for about two weeks so I decided to try something new. I know that Lysine is thought to have some effect on cold sores so I take the capsules regularly. Here is what I did:
First, I sterilized a very thin needle and drained the blisters (I had already read that this is NOT a recommended method but i wanted to try something new).
Then, I held a cotton ball full of rubbing alcohol over the sores for at least a half hour and then let them dry out.
Next, I opened a Lysine capsule and mixed it with water. I applied that to the sores using a Qtip and let it dry (gross, gritty layer of white but I didn't have to be out in public). I just hung out like this for about an hour and then repeated the alcohol/lysine process about every hour for the rest of the day. The next day, my cold sores were just tiny scabs and the day after that they were practically gone.
I hope this works for other people too!
Nu Mouth

United States

#21 Monday Mar 16
kfrohbie wrote:
I am really excited about the remedy I just found! I had two nasty blisters pop up overnight, so by the time I woke up, they were in full force and it was too late for Abreeva or anything like that. What I did, I had never tried anything like before. My cold sores generally last for about two weeks so I decided to try something new. I know that Lysine is thought to have some effect on cold sores so I take the capsules regularly. Here is what I did:
First, I sterilized a very thin needle and drained the blisters (I had already read that this is NOT a recommended method but i wanted to try something new).
Then, I held a cotton ball full of rubbing alcohol over the sores for at least a half hour and then let them dry out.
Next, I opened a Lysine capsule and mixed it with water. I applied that to the sores using a Qtip and let it dry (gross, gritty layer of white but I didn't have to be out in public). I just hung out like this for about an hour and then repeated the alcohol/lysine process about every hour for the rest of the day. The next day, my cold sores were just tiny scabs and the day after that they were practically gone.
I hope this works for other people too!
Just take one or two bitter melon pills a day. Its safe, natural and cheap. It will halt a current outbreak. And as long as taken everyday. Swansonvitamins.com sells it for 2.99 a bottle. The only reason I came to this forum to post is so people who Google a cure can find my post. Its not a cure though, but a simply preventative. I haven't had an outbreak in nearly a year since using bitter melon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cold Sores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to get rid of a cold sore in 3 days naturally (Aug '11) Mar 16 Nu Mouth 54
Easy Fix for Cold Sores Mar 16 Nu Mouth 1
Recurring Cold Sores Feb '15 coldsolved51 1
Cold Soar out break every time I drink alcohol (Mar '09) Feb '15 Toteach4th 31
Dating & Support for Cold Sores Feb '15 Fina 2
Cold Sore Prevention (Jan '13) Feb '15 coldsolved51 3
Cold Sore Help! (Nov '13) Feb '15 coldsolved51 2
More from around the web