pain on left side for years

“You get back what you give!”

Since: Mar 07

Barnesville, OH

#21 Mar 28, 2007
kirk wrote:
Hi there, I have been suffering aggravated chest pains on the left side for about 3 months. It can sometimes be mild and sometimes quite painful. I have had a standard ECG and a 24 hour ECG which were both normal. I am unable to sleep on my left side because when i wake up it feels like something has been laying on me all night. I have recently noticed lately that i can feel my heart beating hard against my chest especially when i am exercising. My GP does not take me seriously because i am only 22. Do you think i could have anything seriuosly wrong with me. I am very worried. can anyone relate to these symptoms.
Refer to my earlier post. Look up cardiac syndrome x and arterial spasms. Honestly look at your symptoms and see what closely relates to you if any do. IF it does your armed with info to take to your dr to check out.
kirk

Hove, UK

#22 Mar 29, 2007
Thanks for the info. I have been to my GP but he will not order anymore tests because he feels i dont need them. My heart seems to be beating harder and harder every day. The pain has now moved from my left to the bottom centre of my chest. I have been to a & e and they sent me home after doing an ecg and blood tests which showed no heart damage. I want to believe i am ok but i just dont feel myself. Should i be concerned with my heart beating so hard and can it cause any damage.
Meredith

Atlanta, GA

#23 Apr 3, 2007
I have had the same symptoms as kirk... I am 24, and have a sometimes dull, sometimes severe pain on the left lower chest area, I can constantly feel my heart pounding against my chest. It is a squeezing/pressure pain that seems to worsen when I lie on my left side, or lean to the left side. This pain has also spread farther up my left chest. I have had the pain for going on 4 months, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I have had the following test all of which were normal (EKG,Stress test, Echocardiogram, Chest CT scan, Chest x-ray, Ultrasound on kidney,gallbladder, and pancreas). It feels like my heart, but all the test and doctors would say otherwise. I think the pain worsens when I am stressed, however the pain causes me great stress, and I find myself very scared that I am missing something that could be very harmful. If anyone finds a solution to this problem, I will be forever greatful, I can't take this pain much longer.
kirk

Glasgow, UK

#24 Apr 5, 2007
Meredith wrote:
I have had the same symptoms as kirk... I am 24, and have a sometimes dull, sometimes severe pain on the left lower chest area, I can constantly feel my heart pounding against my chest. It is a squeezing/pressure pain that seems to worsen when I lie on my left side, or lean to the left side. This pain has also spread farther up my left chest. I have had the pain for going on 4 months, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I have had the following test all of which were normal (EKG,Stress test, Echocardiogram, Chest CT scan, Chest x-ray, Ultrasound on kidney,gallbladder, and pancreas). It feels like my heart, but all the test and doctors would say otherwise. I think the pain worsens when I am stressed, however the pain causes me great stress, and I find myself very scared that I am missing something that could be very harmful. If anyone finds a solution to this problem, I will be forever greatful, I can't take this pain much longer.
Hi Meredith , I cant believe i have found some1 else who is going through the same pain and worry. I am so fed up with it that i am not enjoying life. I cant even walk down the road without being in pain. Do you ever experience hard pulse sensations in your neck or wrist. You can actually see my pulse in my neck it is that powerful. I am so fed up with doctors and people telling me that i am imagining the pain and it is all due to anxiety and stressed. I was happy when these pains arrived so i dont believe that. If you get any ideas or answers please let me know.
Dave UK

Malton, UK

#25 Apr 7, 2007
Hi, I suffer a recurrant sharp pain like a stabbing sensation in my lower back to the left hand side of the spine. It comes with no warning when doing activities that are not very physical like washing the car, it can last for well over a week causing a great ammount of pain. Doctor advised swimming and he was right when the pain comes an hour in the pool will take it away.
Jestin

United States

#26 Apr 12, 2007
Hello, I'm am 21 and I started having irregularities(heart palpitations) about a yr ago and went to the doc. They told me i was fine, but I still got the 24 hr ECG and that also came back fine. I still felt the pains and was still worried, so I went to the heart speciallists in Atl, GA and they did the sonar and made me run for about 12 minuits. It all came back fine. When they did the sonar, i didn't feel pains, but it's happened twice now that when I sleep on my left side, after a few min, i get a sharp pain near my heart and like someone said above, it feels like somethings jabbing or puncturing my lung. I don't think it could just be a nerve in my case but who knows, if the docs can't tell us what's wrong. I've been very athletic through high school and joined the Marine Corps immediatly after that. I've never had breathing problems or asthma, but this on-and-off chest pain truly scars me and the fact that the doctors can't tell us what's wrong with us just makes it worse.
I can only hope that whatever I have is only related to growing pains. I am however, often typing on the computer. I've heard of fit kids just dropping dead in soccer games and races and such and I just don't want to be another statistic.

Barnesville, OH

#27 Apr 13, 2007
Meredith wrote:
Have you gotten an upper GI to check for GERD(acid reflux disease) Those mirror the same symptoms
Jon - Chicago

Chicago, IL

#28 Apr 15, 2007
Hello all,
I am 42 and have had that same on/off shooting pain on my left side around my heart for so many years I can't remember. Has always made me nervous. Have done all the tests and am always told it is always nothing to worry about. Well 4 days ago I had an episode that just wouldn't quit with extreme pain in my upper chest and shoulders that prevented me from being able to lay down. I couldn't take a deep breath and it was very scary. I literally stood all night until I went to the emergency room the next morning. I was diagnosed with Paricarditis which is an infection around the heart. After tests to rule out heart attack and blocked arteries they were able to diagnose this. Some anti inflammatory and other heart meds I feel so much better. Now that I have been reading up on the condition the last few days I am beginning to think that sharp pain I have been experiencing has been related to this infection that finally peaked last week. Do some research and ask the questions of your doctors.....it may be connected.
Nick

UK

#29 Apr 19, 2007
Reading about everyone with the same symptoms I have,coupled with the response they get from the doctors makes me feel I'm not alone.
I have had the pains in my chest for nearly 18 months.After the initial worry of "heart attack etc" I now accept the pain but still want to know what it is and can I change anything.
I've had all the tests,CT, xray, bloodwork and yet they find nothing.
We're all in the same boat
thanks people

Barnesville, OH

#30 Apr 19, 2007
Nick wrote:
Reading about everyone with the same symptoms I have,coupled with the response they get from the doctors makes me feel I'm not alone.
I have had the pains in my chest for nearly 18 months.After the initial worry of "heart attack etc" I now accept the pain but still want to know what it is and can I change anything.
I've had all the tests,CT, xray, bloodwork and yet they find nothing.
We're all in the same boat
thanks people
Look up cardiac syndrome x and arterial spasms. Read and honestly see if these symptoms match you. If they do, take info to dr. It helped me.
koch46

Lodi, NJ

#31 Apr 19, 2007
i am 46 german irish stressed and eat fried food every day, for 6 months ive had pain in my leftside chest that can go to my neck arm and leg grion i have a great distrust of doctors having worked in a hospital and being a former emt. are you still alive? ive found that a cigarette and a strong cup of coffee tames the sensation anything to that?
Scott Calgary

Calgary, Canada

#32 Apr 19, 2007
I"m 48,I've had the pain just under my left rib cage for 8 years.A lite finger held on the spot makes it go away when I remove the finger the pain returns.I'm healthy and active.I haven't noticed that any one food or activity effects it more than others.Any guesses?

Barnesville, OH

#33 Apr 20, 2007
Scott Calgary wrote:
I"m 48,I've had the pain just under my left rib cage for 8 years.A lite finger held on the spot makes it go away when I remove the finger the pain returns.I'm healthy and active.I haven't noticed that any one food or activity effects it more than others.Any guesses?
Sounds like a spigelian(sp) hernia. I have one.
allanearciga

Cypress, CA

#34 Apr 20, 2007
kirk wrote:
Thanks for the info. I have been to my GP but he will not order anymore tests because he feels i dont need them. My heart seems to be beating harder and harder every day. The pain has now moved from my left to the bottom centre of my chest. I have been to a & e and they sent me home after doing an ecg and blood tests which showed no heart damage. I want to believe i am ok but i just dont feel myself. Should i be concerned with my heart beating so hard and can it cause any damage.
i have the same problem only that i dont have much pain its more like iono i feel like the left side of my chest has air and sometimes i actually feel how the air goes to my the left side of my chest, i also feel my heart beat so hard that i can feel it without even touching my chest, i have reflux acid problems too wich makes this even worse is that i have anxiety iono i think the anxiety, ive had ECG and it came out normal tyroids test, normal too... all kinds of blood tests... all normal all that doctors say is that i have anxiety... and they say it cant possibly b my heart cus im only 19
Lisa

East Orange, NJ

#35 Apr 20, 2007
Jon - Chicago wrote:
Hello all,
I am 42 and have had that same on/off shooting pain on my left side around my heart for so many years I can't remember. Has always made me nervous. Have done all the tests and am always told it is always nothing to worry about. Well 4 days ago I had an episode that just wouldn't quit with extreme pain in my upper chest and shoulders that prevented me from being able to lay down. I couldn't take a deep breath and it was very scary. I literally stood all night until I went to the emergency room the next morning. I was diagnosed with Paricarditis which is an infection around the heart. After tests to rule out heart attack and blocked arteries they were able to diagnose this. Some anti inflammatory and other heart meds I feel so much better. Now that I have been reading up on the condition the last few days I am beginning to think that sharp pain I have been experiencing has been related to this infection that finally peaked last week. Do some research and ask the questions of your doctors.....it may be connected.
I had those sharp chest pains in center and left side of chest for a long time, finally diagnosed as GERD and was put on Prevacid which healed it. Nexium or Prolisec could work for others but Previcid worked for me. Haven't had to take it again once it was healed, though sometimes in times of stress it happens and if it gets consistent I would go on the Prevacid again. It really went away, it was reflux all the time. I'm here to research the dull pinching under the left rib pains,(now radiating to the back), which is why I saw your question. Good luck.
Lisa

East Orange, NJ

#36 Apr 20, 2007
I am not Lisa from Laurel Maryland, but somehow got signed on as her. I am lisa from PA.

Barnesville, OH

#37 Apr 20, 2007
Lisa wrote:
I am not Lisa from Laurel Maryland, but somehow got signed on as her. I am lisa from PA.
Laurel Md is where you internet connection or company is. Im from PA too.
Jake

Austin, TX

#38 Apr 23, 2007
I have an a/v block. I go to sleep for the night I feel fine. I wake up and it feels like someone has stepped on the left side of my chest while I was sleeping. It hurts like I pinched a nerve or something. About four years ago I had cardio myothapy heart failure and a heart attack all in one night, and no I wasent on drugs. I just had a bad virus that kicked my butt. Its been four years now and ever scence then I have a constant fear that its heart failure. I hate the discomfort and the not knoeing. I have been lucky though my brother is a M.D. he keeps me comfortable and will always refer me even though I have an HMO. I hope to all, your pain resides. To some it will be cancer and to some it will be Irratable bowle and for the lucky ones it will be a blockage. I hope none of us get hooked on drugs. I know of pain I wish I knew how to get rid of it for good.
Barb

Ballwin, MO

#39 Apr 25, 2007
I have pain on my left side that comes and goes and I have diverticula. I have to watch what I eat like things with little seeds and I should eat more fiber sometimes I do and sometimes I don't it depends on which doctor I talk to so maybe you guys need see about that. Good luck to you all.
me me you you

Lowell, MA

#40 Apr 27, 2007
I was ekg'd and x-rayed in er with no findings but they said it could be heartburn. OTC rollaids don't seem to work. It moves around the pain...so? I hope its not the thing in the Matrix!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chest Pain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
squeezing chest pain when falling asleep (Mar '10) Jun 17 Fly 59
chest pain when sneezing (Feb '06) May '15 Dawn 82
Sharp chest pains after stretches/ lifting any ... May '15 Robert Mortimer 1
Chest Pain (Sep '07) Jan '15 Billy P 30
chest pains (Dec '14) Dec '14 rdburton 1
chest pain for 1 month (Nov '06) Dec '14 mark 7
Chest pain (Oct '14) Oct '14 alme 1
More from around the web