pain on left side for years

Posted in the Chest Pain Forum

First Prev
of 19
Next Last
GAD

Paramount, CA

#1 Jul 16, 2006
I'm a 41 yr. old male. I have had ongoing but intermittent pain on my left side--a strong pinching that varies in intensity but sometimes hurts enough to make me stop what I'm doing. I had a chest x-ray and did the treadmill thing and came out clean. Still, the pain comes pretty hard and seemingly at any time. I exercise a lot. I'm asthmatic and have used an Albuteral inhaler for years. I wonder if that has anything to do w/ it. Anyone with comments would be most appreciated. Is there another test I should have done? My doctor basically said it's just something that happens, not to worry.
Richard

Chapel Hill, Australia

#2 Dec 3, 2006
Mate I've had the same thing for about 6 years. The doc's over here in Australia told me it's just stress. Just annoys the hell out of me though
BETSY

Annapolis, MD

#3 Dec 3, 2006
I HAVE AN ANNOYING PAIN IN MY LEFT SIDE. i'VE HAVE IT FOR ABOUT 1 YEAR AND A HALF. AT FIRST I JUST IGNORED IT BECAUSE I WAS EXERCISING , AND I THOUGHT THE PAIN WAS FROM THAT. BUT, NOW THE PIN IS ALMOST EVERY DAY. IT'S JUST A DULL ACHE ON MY LEFT JUST BELOW MY RIB CAGE. IT HURTS MOST WHEN I DRIVE MY TRUCK, BUT NOT MY CAR. HELP

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Vanessa

Charlotte, NC

#4 Dec 15, 2006
I have had a pain in my left side for 6 years now. It has never gone away and I have had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy to check for colon disease. There was none - I was told that I was only constipated. I haven't been constipated for 6 years. The pain seems to be getting worse now and I still have no idea what is causing it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
GAD

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Dec 22, 2006
wow--sounds like it's all tress related, but alas!
Rick DOlimpio

Jacksonville, FL

#6 Jan 22, 2007
Guys, I have the same pain and in the same area. I could not have stated it any better. My doctor said all of the above as well, we must be missing something. Whats next I wonder.
Juanita Edmonton AB

Edmonton, Canada

#7 Feb 15, 2007
I have been having a pain in my left side below my ribs for about a year now, numerous tests showed up normal, I am soo tired of this pain, I just want it to go away. Really stressful, not knowing whats wrong inside of me. I am sooooo afraid of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, the disease that is sooo hard to diagnose. Hopefully will find out whats wrong sooner than later.
jessica

Dayton, OH

#8 Feb 18, 2007
I have pain on the left side just under my rib cage, too. My x-ray showed that I'm normal, and so my mom thinks it's just stress. But I'm not 100% sure.
Jordan in CA

Turlock, CA

#9 Feb 24, 2007
I've had a pain on the left side of my chest just under my rib cage for almost a year now. Sometimes it decides to just show up then goes away, but no matter what I do, I can always get it to hurt by moving in a certain position. If stretch my chest in that certain direction I get a shot of pain that can hurt so bad it feels like my rib is puncturing my lung... I've had all the tests the doctors could think of such as Echocardiogram, Catscan, and EKG heart scan; everything came out fine.

I hate living with this and not knowing what is wrong with me, but I have a few suspiscions I'm going to list in order of suspected relevance.

1.) COMPUTER GAMES/WORK.
I spend an abnormal ammount of time at the computer and being hunched over for hours with your arms tensed (typing) is probably not so good. I have a feeling this could be a major contributor.

2.) Smoking / Coughing
I smoked bud for about 5 years and am stopping for a year. Hopefully at the end of the year this pain will be gone. I recently stopped for 2 weeks. During the first week, the pain was seemingly dissapearing, but then a long weekend of computer games flared it right back up despite not smoking. At the end of the year break if it hasn't gotten better I will rule that out as the cause.

3.) Stress / Being tense
I've noticed that I always have my left arm tense for some reason - if I am sitting down driving I tend to hold my wait up with my left arm, or when I'm sleeping I always tend to curl my arm up and kind of clench it - this could be the problem but to stop it I have to CONSTANTLY think about relaxing my arm (which isn't possible all the time).

This pain has been plaugeing my life and has literally driven me insane on some days - not knowing what's wrong with you and not being able to do anything about it or get over it is really frustrating.

If anybody finds out anything about this mysterious pain PLEEEAAAASSSEEEE let me know - My Email addreses is [email protected]

I know I am going to get a huge ammount of spam for posting my address in some random forum but if anybody can send me anything helpful it will be worth it.

For all of you suffering from this problem I seriously feel for you, and I wish with all my heart that it leaves you alone.

-Jordan K.- Santa Barbara(Goleta), CA
GAD

United States

#10 Feb 27, 2007
Well, it's been a while since I posted. It took a while for the thread to get going! Anyway, I have discovered low thyroid, and the medication I've had has helped, it seems. Either that, or it's a coincidence. Once in a while the pains still come, but not as bad. It does seem, though, to be "one of those things" that's a product of stress, driving--whatever. Best of luck to everyone!
Mike

Fishers, IN

#11 Mar 5, 2007
I am 18 and I have had strong pinching pains in my left side just like everyone explained above, however when I feel that pinch in my side, I also feel it on the inner part of my left thigh. I had an echo to test the activity of my heart and everything checked out fine. I thought maybe it was a certain nerve which is why the pinching pain occurs in both area, does anyone else feel the pinch in two areas?
jim

UK

#12 Mar 19, 2007
I have suffered years with the same problem also lower back left side too,had all the tests ,doc thinks stree,is there a cure?
cstewart9rib pain

Portland, OR

#13 Mar 21, 2007
I hope this helps. I am a NA by trade and injured myself at work lifting a patient and then was in a car accident. The pain is disc related and the only releif I have had is a CESI or LESI and sad to say it does not las forever. I had every test blood work etc, and drove my doctors nuts and would never take no for an answer, remember you have the pain, they do not!
bob

Tillington, UK

#14 Mar 22, 2007
I have had some dull sometimes sharp ian in my left inner thigh and sometimes just under my left armpit. I think it is totally stress related as it only comes when I am stressed. Problem is there is always something to stress ones life so it is difficult to keep away.
Mary

Edmonton, Canada

#15 Mar 22, 2007
I have had left sided thorasic back pain for 2 mos. At night I wake up with chest pain...all the G.I. tests were negative. I also have a low grade fever every evening. I am tired of all this because no one can find anything wrong. Please help!!!!!

“You get back what you give!”

Since: Mar 07

United States

#16 Mar 24, 2007
Well, i did research on my symptoms of 8 yrs. I have chest pain, short of breath, very tired, dizzy etc when i exercise ALso the cold would bother my breathing. and the tests i had were clean so far. I read about arterial spasms and chronic cardiac syndrome. CCS described me perfectly. If you have it more at rest, its probably arterial spasms. Just means that the little arteries are constricting under the heart and kind of acts llike asthma. THere is not much risk of heart attack, but get a thalium test to make sure. Im 28 and been dealing with this since i was 17 in track practice. Doctors dont listen to young ppl

United States

#17 Mar 24, 2007
Mike wrote:
I am 18 and I have had strong pinching pains in my left side just like everyone explained above, however when I feel that pinch in my side, I also feel it on the inner part of my left thigh. I had an echo to test the activity of my heart and everything checked out fine. I thought maybe it was a certain nerve which is why the pinching pain occurs in both area, does anyone else feel the pinch in two areas?
Thres a sciatic nerve that runs down that way. If u wear waist of your pants too tight, that will act it up too. Sounds dumb but its true

United States

#18 Mar 24, 2007
Juanita Edmonton AB wrote:
I have been having a pain in my left side below my ribs for about a year now, numerous tests showed up normal, I am soo tired of this pain, I just want it to go away. Really stressful, not knowing whats wrong inside of me. I am sooooo afraid of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, the disease that is sooo hard to diagnose. Hopefully will find out whats wrong sooner than later.
Pelvic infam disease would give you more symptoms below your abdomen. Pee leaks, pain during sex, etc.
I have a spigelian(sp) hernia under my rib that hurts and sometimes pain spreads. You might have a hernia across muscle that runs across there.
gweneth

Sunnyside, NY

#19 Mar 28, 2007
my lower back on my left side i have a pinching sensation..scare to go to the doctor
kirk

UK

#20 Mar 28, 2007
Hi there, I have been suffering aggravated chest pains on the left side for about 3 months. It can sometimes be mild and sometimes quite painful. I have had a standard ECG and a 24 hour ECG which were both normal. I am unable to sleep on my left side because when i wake up it feels like something has been laying on me all night. I have recently noticed lately that i can feel my heart beating hard against my chest especially when i am exercising. My GP does not take me seriously because i am only 22. Do you think i could have anything seriuosly wrong with me. I am very worried. can anyone relate to these symptoms.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chest Pain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
chest pain when sneezing (Feb '06) Jun 9 Ted hopkins 83
squeezing chest pain when falling asleep (Mar '10) Apr '16 Camilla 62
Chest Pain (Sep '07) Feb '16 Tristani 32
Chest pain that comes and goes Feb '16 leo3204 2
My chest pain experiences: cures with nutrients (Nov '09) Nov '15 Erik 6
Sharp chest pains after stretches/ lifting any ... (May '15) May '15 Robert Mortimer 1
chest pains (Dec '14) Dec '14 rdburton 1
More from around the web