Pain in chest while laying down

Pain in chest while laying down

Posted in the Chest Pain Forum

Donald

Brentwood, TN

#1 Mar 5, 2011
Hello.

Lately, I've been having chest pains when I lay on my left side or laying flat on my stomach/chest. Usually have an increased heart rate along with the chest pain. The pain seems to stay on the left half of my chest, never radiates, doesn't spread, only stays on the left side until I lay on my back or my right side. I've been to the doctor several times last year complaining of problems, have had EKG's performed, heart monitor overnight, chest X-rays, and all turn out normal. Dr seems to think there is no problems at all with my heart.

I am on high blood pressure medicine to control my BP. I do take anxiety medicine when I have panic attacks, which is maybe once every 3-4 weeks usually. Also, I do have GERD which I take medicine for at night time to control acid buildup. Any clues as to what could be going on or suggestions anyone might have?

Thanks!
Marjo

Wijchen, Netherlands

#2 May 2, 2014
It could be spasms of the esophagus, especially when it happens at night while in bed and in the period you say it happens. It is difficult to tell the difference between heart problems and spams of the esophagus, as similar pains will emerge. If it goes away after approx. 30 min, it usually is spasms, most often caused by stress, emotional issues, and so forth. It can be quite scary, as it has nearly all symtopns of a heart attack. It is best to remain calm and sit through the pain. I have it once in a while, sometimes in periods of months. Then it stays away for a year, and comes back.

It is always best to ask a doctor first, maybe you could bring the issue up and ask if it could be the spasms of the esophagus, as it is quite a commong problem and often mistaken for heart problems.

Good luck and be well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chest Pain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
chest pain when sneezing (Feb '06) Nov 13 help 86
Squeezing pain on left side, can't sleep at night Nov 5 Tobi 2
pain on left side for years (Jul '06) Sep '16 Laurie 375
My chest pain experiences: cures with nutrients (Nov '09) Aug '16 Amanda 7
Wierd feeling in left arm and chest after pleur... Jul '16 rasmusludeking 1
squeezing chest pain when falling asleep (Mar '10) Apr '16 Camilla 62
Chest Pain (Sep '07) Feb '16 Tristani 32
More from around the web