Cervical bleeding, light pain, discha...

Cervical bleeding, light pain, discharge, fatigue doctor dismisses me.

Posted in the Cervical Cancer Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jennifer

Las Vegas, NV

#1 May 14, 2008
My main issue is I'm having vaginal bleeding and little help from my obgyn. Can I demand a colpscopy? She refuses to give me one.

I started bleeding bright red blood for no reason in December. It was the amount of a period followed by two liver like substances the size of kidney beans that came out of me. The blood reduced to a brownish spotting, but lasted two weeks with severe pain. My doctor had no idea what was wrong. She did an ultrasound which looked fine, as well as just a physical exam, and blood work. On and off prior to this I would bleed with sex lightly, now very heavily with intercourse. I also have a watery/white discharge almost daily and extreme fatigue. My obgyn agreed to a cyrosurgery. I abstained from sex for 8 weeks, no baths, no tampons since....and still bleeding with sex. I went for my annual and I noticed when the doctor put the swab in the solution I was bleeding. She stated 'the blood was internally in my cervix, not on the surface' and that she has no idea what is wrong! My pap last May was normal, although I still don't have the results from this one two days ago. I have read that sometimes paps aren't accurate and if a cervical tumor or cells are growing in the canal of your cervix it won't show up on the pap. She is refusing to do a colposcopy. What do I do? I have called around for a second opinion, however ,when I went to get the medical records she just wrote 'cervicitis and vaginitis' on the chart and made no record of my ongoing bleeding and symptoms? Why? I am worried this is dysplasia or beginning cervical cancer. Any suggestions or ideas as to how to get this diagnosed, or if you have similar symptoms and a diagnosis would be appreciated.

Since: Jun 08

Toronto, Canada

#2 Jun 12, 2008
Get a second opinion! Or third! Maybe keep a daily journal on diffrent symptoms. This may help out when you next visit your ob/gyn.

After suffering a crushed pelvis and S1 fractures 2 1/2 yrs ago in a motor vehical accident I had monthly doctor visits complaining each and ever time that I was still suffering from pain and discomfort just walking. He kept me on pain meds but just would brush me off saying "Oh thats just due to your pelvis injuries" Down playing all my complaints. Including, abnormal heavy bleeding that sometimes lasted for 3 weeks, heavy discharge always having blood in it,extreme pain urinating and having a bowel movment,constipated.... saying thats due to the pain meds. Had a ultra sound, he said everything was normal, that was in Mar 2008. I had dropped in weight down to 104 lbs without any explanation other than not feeling hungry. He then started demanding that I stop all pain meds saying it was the medication that was causing the weight lose. I went off the pain meds and ended up in the hospital with sever pain to the point of screaming with the slightest of movements. Urinating I was in extreme pain. The hospital sent me home with antibiotics for kidney infection.....Then my family doctor says no, its kidney stones......I demanded to be refured to a gynocologist and with a pelvic exam, I was told That I have Invasive Cervical Cancer....I found this out 2weeks ago. For it to get to this stage I was told "this should have been cought years ago!!" With the amount of doctors I had seen in 3 diffrent hospitals at the time of the car accident one would think they would have found the cervical cancer.

In short, demand to be taken seriously and to seek a second opinion!!

All the best!
Jennifer wrote:
My main issue is I'm having vaginal bleeding and little help from my obgyn. Can I demand a colpscopy? She refuses to give me one.
I started bleeding bright red blood for no reason in December. It was the amount of a period followed by two liver like substances the size of kidney beans that came out of me. The blood reduced to a brownish spotting, but lasted two weeks with severe pain. My doctor had no idea what was wrong. She did an ultrasound which looked fine, as well as just a physical exam, and blood work. On and off prior to this I would bleed with sex lightly, now very heavily with intercourse. I also have a watery/white discharge almost daily and extreme fatigue. My obgyn agreed to a cyrosurgery. I abstained from sex for 8 weeks, no baths, no tampons since....and still bleeding with sex. I went for my annual and I noticed when the doctor put the swab in the solution I was bleeding. She stated 'the blood was internally in my cervix, not on the surface' and that she has no idea what is wrong! My pap last May was normal, although I still don't have the results from this one two days ago. I have read that sometimes paps aren't accurate and if a cervical tumor or cells are growing in the canal of your cervix it won't show up on the pap. She is refusing to do a colposcopy. What do I do? I have called around for a second opinion, however ,when I went to get the medical records she just wrote 'cervicitis and vaginitis' on the chart and made no record of my ongoing bleeding and symptoms? Why? I am worried this is dysplasia or beginning cervical cancer. Any suggestions or ideas as to how to get this diagnosed, or if you have similar symptoms and a diagnosis would be appreciated.

Since: Sep 08

Tuscaloosa, AL

#3 Sep 1, 2008
OMGosh!!! That is horrible. I just found out Friday that I have precancerous cells. I am really scared because I feel that I am having symptoms of cervical cancer. I have been referred to an ob/gyn and am awaiting them to schedule me an appointment. The waiting is driving me nuts. The reason I replied was to inquire about how you are doing now? I hope that you are well. My prayers are with you.
Tallblondef wrote:
Get a second opinion! Or third! Maybe keep a daily journal on diffrent symptoms. This may help out when you next visit your ob/gyn.
After suffering a crushed pelvis and S1 fractures 2 1/2 yrs ago in a motor vehical accident I had monthly doctor visits complaining each and ever time that I was still suffering from pain and discomfort just walking. He kept me on pain meds but just would brush me off saying "Oh thats just due to your pelvis injuries" Down playing all my complaints. Including, abnormal heavy bleeding that sometimes lasted for 3 weeks, heavy discharge always having blood in it,extreme pain urinating and having a bowel movment,constipated.... saying thats due to the pain meds. Had a ultra sound, he said everything was normal, that was in Mar 2008. I had dropped in weight down to 104 lbs without any explanation other than not feeling hungry. He then started demanding that I stop all pain meds saying it was the medication that was causing the weight lose. I went off the pain meds and ended up in the hospital with sever pain to the point of screaming with the slightest of movements. Urinating I was in extreme pain. The hospital sent me home with antibiotics for kidney infection.....Then my family doctor says no, its kidney stones......I demanded to be refured to a gynocologist and with a pelvic exam, I was told That I have Invasive Cervical Cancer....I found this out 2weeks ago. For it to get to this stage I was told "this should have been cought years ago!!" With the amount of doctors I had seen in 3 diffrent hospitals at the time of the car accident one would think they would have found the cervical cancer.
In short, demand to be taken seriously and to seek a second opinion!!
All the best!
<quoted text>
2902tara

Ireland

#4 Sep 6, 2008
Hi Jennifer, YES YES YES GET A SECOND OPINION....don't wait. doctors are not perfect and they don't always get it right. Make them do what you think should be done don't settle till you are satisfied... we know our bodys and yes sometimes we over react but hey thats better than under reacting..from experience i can tell you that we know when we are ill..i had cancer in 2005.. stage 2b x's and o's to all
Mary

Salt Lake City, UT

#5 Sep 24, 2008
I am also wondering how you are doing. I have the same thing. I also bleed during sex and it seems to be getting worse and last a couple days. My doctor told me that he can burn the lining of my cervix other than that he said just be gentle during sex
Chene

London, UK

#6 Sep 28, 2008
Finally someone with a similar problem.
I started having some mild bleeding after intercourse couple of months ago. Saw the gynea and was told i had some minor ectropion. She then suggested she do some silver nitrate treatment on that area - since then i have had constant bleeding for the last 2weeks with no improvement! She seems to have made it worse. Went back on monday and saw a different doctor in the same department and he gave me some antibiotics because my cervix was slightly inflammed and sent me on my way. I'm still bleeding! Going crazy, no idea what to do.
poppy

Nelson, UK

#7 Oct 3, 2008
i have had also had problems with excessive bleeding, about 9 months ago i began bleeding lightly during sex with my long term partner and found sex incredibly painful which i put down to psychological issues as we were having 'trust' issues, things in our relationship improved but the bleeding worsened so much so that the last time we had sex six months ago i yelped with pain within seconds pulling away blood literally pouring out. i have since this traumatic occasion broke up with my partner and have abstained from sex deciding most foolishly to sweep these incidents under the carpet. however upon meeting a new man i decided yesterday to go to a gum clinic as my doctor refuses to give me a smear as i am under 25 (despite my mother having had cervical cancer resulting in a radical hysterectomy, early menopause and several other complications) the nurse looked at my smear under the microscope and found an unusual high red blood cell count so prescribed me with 1000mg of antibiotics for two weeks to clear up a supposed cervical and pelvic inflammation... i am now waiting on my results with baited breath... i have never heard of anyone who has had girlie worries being taken seriously and i wonder if they really know enough to detect things correctly before it is serious or is it just guesswork?
pretty

Alpharetta, GA

#8 Oct 9, 2008
I have systoms of cervical cancer i have also lost 12 pounds in 5 months went to docter on july 2 had pap smear was told i have hpv went back to the doctor on Oct 6 was told my cervix dont look right so i was refered to a gyno.
momof373

Portland, IN

#9 Dec 14, 2008
Wow! I am so sorry to hear that you (or some of you) have some serious "stuff" going on...but boy am I glad to see that I am not the only one....I have been struggleing on and off for years with vaginal issues!!, and the lastest I've been dealing with sounds similar to what "Jennifer" wrote....with a few exceptions. My gyno. dicovered that I am in fact bleeding from my cervix, and tested me for multiple infections (all negative). Then sent me for an ultra sound 2 weeks ago. I have yet to hear any news. I am assuming no news is good news, but it still leaves the question open...."what the heck is wrong with me?" I wish you all the best. I'd love to hear more from you all, on your findings....Good luck! and My Prayers are with you all. I know for me, dealing with these issues has been frustrating and depressing. Prayers have helped me through many struggles.
Take Care.
M
Not necessarily

Tel Aviv, Israel

#10 Jan 15, 2009
I hope that you are all thinking positive thoughts and not going to the worst possible scenarios... Because vaginal issues don't necessarily mean cervical cancer and I hope this: http://the-cancer-disease.com/breast-cancer-t... will relax you a bit with more information about cervical cancer risk factors.
Carol

Bozeman, MT

#11 Jan 19, 2009
Mary wrote:
I am also wondering how you are doing. I have the same thing. I also bleed during sex and it seems to be getting worse and last a couple days. My doctor told me that he can burn the lining of my cervix other than that he said just be gentle during sex
ditto!! But if we were any more gentle we wouldn't be having sex!! Good grief - if it were their wife I bet they'd get her fixed in a spiffy!! The wole bleeding after/during sex just takes all the romance out of it - I have been dealing with this for 5 years and I am fed up and will keep seeing doctors this year until it is fixed or removed - at 44 I don't think I should or need any more children - God has already blessed me with 3 healthy ones!
Joanie

Tinley Park, IL

#12 Jan 20, 2009
I had Severe Dysplasia about three years ago. I had a cold knife cone byopsy in which a chunk of my cervix was removed. Since then, the first pap smear was kind of fuzzy but all the rest were good. I just went for a pap on thursday 1/15/09 and during the pap my cervix started to bleed. The doctor said that it could be sensitive to the brush but notice some discharge and gave me a perscription for an antibiotic. I am a little leary because I never had that happen. I have to wait until 2/5/09 for results. Any thoughts?
Joanie

Tinley Park, IL

#13 Jan 20, 2009
I forgot to add that I have had many urine test that blood was detected (It is not visible but it's there. I was also told by my general doctor about 6 months ago that I was a little anemic. I wonder if there is any connection to what I stated above.
Rose

Semenyih, Malaysia

#14 Feb 18, 2009
May Jesus keep all of you in His Bosom. I too had bleeding somewhere mid Jan 09. My gyn did a colposcopy & found the blood oozing from my cervix. I had a partial hysterectomy couple of years back so I shouldn't be having anymore menstruation. In Mid Feb, I went for a LLETZ where he did a cone biopsy of which I'll know the results in another week's time. My prayers goes with all of you.
Suzanne

Edinburgh, UK

#15 Feb 19, 2009
I'm having exactly the same problem. Started spotting, then bleeding after sex. This comes and goes. Sometimes it's heavy, sometimes light, sometimes not at all. I went to the doc and she tried to do swabs but I started bleeding. She said she didn't think it was an sti and sent me for an ultra sound. That came back clear. I figured that it must just be that inner lining that sometimes comes out and bleeds on contact - that you can hav laser treatmen to fix so stopped worrying. Thing is ist's getting worse and now I have thick white dischsrge, sometimes mucusy.I also have extreme tiredness. No pain, no unusual smell. I've had a smear and a clamydia test. Just the waiting game now :-(
Jennifer wrote:
lorraine

UK

#16 Feb 23, 2009
So worried. 46 years old, have 4 children who need me.I need them and dont want to die from this.Waiting to hear from gp.
Conn

Green Bay, WI

#17 Feb 24, 2009
Poppy, you have stated my entire problem word-for-word. I could not have said it better myself. The light bleeding to start off with, then recently having painful sex. All of a sudden, one huge cry of pain and the blood constantly flows out. Talk about embarassing... I don't know what to do!! It was never like this. I recently just started back on the pill, and this shouldn't be the start of my cycle or anything. I did have an ovary removed about two months ago, but that shouldn't be the problem either.
poppy wrote:
i have had also had problems with excessive bleeding, about 9 months ago i began bleeding lightly during sex with my long term partner and found sex incredibly painful which i put down to psychological issues as we were having 'trust' issues, things in our relationship improved but the bleeding worsened so much so that the last time we had sex six months ago i yelped with pain within seconds pulling away blood literally pouring out. i have since this traumatic occasion broke up with my partner and have abstained from sex deciding most foolishly to sweep these incidents under the carpet. however upon meeting a new man i decided yesterday to go to a gum clinic as my doctor refuses to give me a smear as i am under 25 (despite my mother having had cervical cancer resulting in a radical hysterectomy, early menopause and several other complications) the nurse looked at my smear under the microscope and found an unusual high red blood cell count so prescribed me with 1000mg of antibiotics for two weeks to clear up a supposed cervical and pelvic inflammation... i am now waiting on my results with baited breath... i have never heard of anyone who has had girlie worries being taken seriously and i wonder if they really know enough to detect things correctly before it is serious or is it just guesswork?
lorraine

UK

#18 Feb 26, 2009
Just got my smear test result.So happy its normal.
Kim

UK

#19 Mar 19, 2009
I am just back from my smear test and was told that my cervex is bleeding somthing to do with cells growing outside my cervex I am very worried she said it was something called eptico or something I can't remember I just couldn't belive it what r the chances of this turning in to cancerous cells.. please x x
majella bruen

Bishop Auckland, UK

#20 Mar 20, 2009
Jennifer wrote:
hi jennifer .u need to get this sorted as soon as possible. im havin flash backs just reading what ur goin through. i was in the exact same position as u jan 2008 wen my period didnt stop .first of all i didnt worry too much but come the end of feb i decided to see my gp and he wasnt concerned at all .he just thought i was goin through the early menopause as we had a history in my famil of it .i was given hormone tablets for six weeks and this didnt help .i decided to see my sisters doctor to see what she would say but like my gp she just brushed it aside and said that i was beind over dramatic about the whole thing .i didnt know where to turn to and in april went to my local surgery again but this timr seen a different doctor and i thought i was getting some where .she sent me for an ultrasound and it came back clear and my gp gave me some pain relief and sent me packing.jesus christ at this stage i was doubled over with pain so i decided to bombard the surgery and local hospital until someone listened and it worked . i was sent in august of 2008 for a hysteroscopy and guess what i had a tumor and three weeks later i was told i had stage 2b cervical cancer.had radiotherapy and chemo and finished this in december and all was goin well until i got a pain in my side in jan and had another MRIscan done a month ago and my cancer is back and today i was told that theres nothing more the hospital can do for me and they just sent me home and said to live my life as best i can .what a shock .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cervical Cancer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Questions Surround HPV Vaccine Gardasil (Jul '08) Jul '17 Delacanal 113
News Vaccine may cut HPV infections, an oral cancer ... May '17 HPV conjob 1
News Everything You Need to Know About the Pap Smear (Aug '16) Feb '17 pailrider 11
News doctor puts a syringe in arm of children (Jan '17) Jan '17 Jack 1
Worried about cervic cancer (Dec '16) Dec '16 wendykroyxo 1
News Screening for breast and cervical cancer is a p... (May '16) May '16 Three Days 5K 1
News Opponents: Medicaid fee plan would hurt poorest (Apr '16) Apr '16 They cannot kill ... 1
More from around the web