HPV Vaccine, Gardasil, Target Of 2 Major Lawsuits - News Story ...

Full story: NBC 4 Washington, DC

New safety concerns are arising amid accusations that the vaccine to prevent cervical cancer in girls, Gardasil , can cause devastating side effects.
Comments
1 - 20 of 64 Comments Last updated Jul 15, 2012
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
What

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 8, 2008
 
Everyone was so quick to jump on the bandwagon of this vaccine. HPV, you can't get it if you don't have sex or have sex with someone who doesn't have it. How simple is that. It's not like it's contagious from the touch or a cough or a sneeze. It's not like the Chicken pox or measles or mumps. WHat is wrong with the world when they try to have a vaccine for everything. It's called abstinence. And how dare DC require these young girls to get this like it was a contagious disease of the general population. DC should have been sued for doing that. They didn't even give the drug enough time to be tried before they haulled off and tried to prevent HPV of all things. How about preventing HIV???? I hope those families get paid millions from these stupid people.

“God Bless America”

Since: Feb 08

Woodbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 8, 2008
 

Judged:

1

Is it just me, or is anyone else sick and tired of seeing those stupid commercials regarding HPV, Cholesterol, and other medical issues. Isn't is called a Doctor's office? Let the Doctors and Nurse Practitioners advertise these drugs (IF FDA APPROVED).

They took cigarettes ads off TV, limited Beer commercials, yet they show us this crap. People don't care about YAZ, Vitorin, Gardisil, Allegra, or any of these other medicines. Quit showing this crap on TV.
mitzy

Potomac, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 8, 2008
 
amen.
speechless

Hyattsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 8, 2008
 
I agree with the both of you. My doctor told me I should get the vaccine. I thought about it hard, but, I'm married, have one child already. Plus, just like you said, they didn't give it enough time to run its course and see how women react to it. So I said no that's ok. Just like lasik eye surgery... that stuff can be bad too! I've heard so many complaints from co-workers who have had it. So that's another bandwagon I'm not jumping on!
Chris Farrell

Sterling, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 8, 2008
 
To see the 8,864 adverse event reports and read the June 30, 2008 report by Judicial Watch go to:http://www.judicialwatch.or g/gardasil
Anon

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 8, 2008
 
What wrote:
Everyone was so quick to jump on the bandwagon of this vaccine. HPV, you can't get it if you don't have sex or have sex with someone who doesn't have it. How simple is that. It's not like it's contagious from the touch or a cough or a sneeze. It's not like the Chicken pox or measles or mumps. WHat is wrong with the world when they try to have a vaccine for everything. It's called abstinence. And how dare DC require these young girls to get this like it was a contagious disease of the general population. DC should have been sued for doing that. They didn't even give the drug enough time to be tried before they haulled off and tried to prevent HPV of all things. How about preventing HIV???? I hope those families get paid millions from these stupid people.
I agree 110% I said the same thing!
There would be NO WAY I would make my daughter take the vaccine. Abstinance is the ONLY way! Train you SONS and DAUGHTERS to abstain and we won't have to deal with these problems/
Nicole

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 8, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I am 21 years old. I have had two of the three shots. I have had no problems with the shot/injection at all. All bodies react differently from all sorts of medications. I believe time will tell if indeed the Gardasil shot called these deaths. Until then I fully support the shot and I look foward to getting my third shot
Nicole

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 8, 2008
 
What wrote:
Everyone was so quick to jump on the bandwagon of this vaccine. HPV, you can't get it if you don't have sex or have sex with someone who doesn't have it. How simple is that. It's not like it's contagious from the touch or a cough or a sneeze. It's not like the Chicken pox or measles or mumps. WHat is wrong with the world when they try to have a vaccine for everything. It's called abstinence. And how dare DC require these young girls to get this like it was a contagious disease of the general population. DC should have been sued for doing that. They didn't even give the drug enough time to be tried before they haulled off and tried to prevent HPV of all things. How about preventing HIV???? I hope those families get paid millions from these stupid people.
This vaccine also helps prevent (not treat against)cervical cancer. I dont believe anyone was to quick to jump on the banwagon. My doctor highly recommended it. I thought about it for awhile and did research myself and I also spoke with my friends who got the shot. They had nothing but postive things to say about it. Everything in todays world has pros & cons. It was approved by the FDA, everyone reacts differently to anything and everything.

Also think about it, what if the girl does get HPV but yet the BF denied having it or what if he had no idea he had it. 99% of men this day and age would never admit to having any STD etc or even think about getting tested. You always have to be one step ahead of everything.

Like i said in my previous comment. I support the Garadsil shot! I think their are more postives than negatives about this. Time will tell.

With any shot/medicine/treatment etc there are always possible side effects. Some are known some are not.
Leslie Rose

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 8, 2008
 
Its important to inform the public of these occurences but equally important not to leap to conclusions. For instance knowing that 8,000 out of 8,000,000 who have received the vaccine, one tenth of one percent, have had side effects means nothing without some comparative data with other vaccine side effect rates. The same goes for extreme reactions if there is a link of causality. Its hard enough being a parent in this very sketchy regulatory environment where one is bombarded with new vaccines, poor and ever changing information on public health issues, etc...without being unduly alarmed. Is the doctor who specializes in Vaccine reactions an anti-vaccine proponent to begin with? An independent doctor's opinion would mean much more.
sylvia

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 8, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

How stupid do you have to be! These pharmaceutical companies are looking for human subjects to experiment with and now thanks to ties in every aspect of government, they can make these drugs mandatory without fully knowing the dangers of all the possible side effects. Then, Surprise, surprise, you give it to your kid and all hell breaks lose. Use your head America, all anybody wants these days is a way to your pocketbook!
Lori

Berryville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 8, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Nicole wrote:
I am 21 years old. I have had two of the three shots. I have had no problems with the shot/injection at all. All bodies react differently from all sorts of medications. I believe time will tell if indeed the Gardasil shot called these deaths. Until then I fully support the shot and I look foward to getting my third shot
You are an adult and can make that decision for your self. You are not being forced to take it. What alarms me as a parent is the fact that they want to force it on girls and make it mandatory for 6th graders to attend school. No not everyone experiences side affects, but how do I know my daughters won't? The possible side effects are serious compared to other vaccines and I for one am not willing to risk it at this point. I'm on the other end. Until I see that this vaccine is proven to be totally safe. My answer is not my daughters. If that means I have to home school, so be it.
sylvia

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 8, 2008
 

Judged:

1

Leslie Rose wrote:
Its important to inform the public of these occurences but equally important not to leap to conclusions. For instance knowing that 8,000 out of 8,000,000 who have received the vaccine, one tenth of one percent, have had side effects means nothing without some comparative data with other vaccine side effect rates. The same goes for extreme reactions if there is a link of causality. Its hard enough being a parent in this very sketchy regulatory environment where one is bombarded with new vaccines, poor and ever changing information on public health issues, etc...without being unduly alarmed. Is the doctor who specializes in Vaccine reactions an anti-vaccine proponent to begin with? An independent doctor's opinion would mean much more.
How much comfort would it be if your child was one of the 8,000 rather than the 8,000,000?
Nicole

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 8, 2008
 
Lori wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an adult and can make that decision for your self. You are not being forced to take it. What alarms me as a parent is the fact that they want to force it on girls and make it mandatory for 6th graders to attend school. No not everyone experiences side affects, but how do I know my daughters won't? The possible side effects are serious compared to other vaccines and I for one am not willing to risk it at this point. I'm on the other end. Until I see that this vaccine is proven to be totally safe. My answer is not my daughters. If that means I have to home school, so be it.
I agree with you Lori. I dont think kids that young should be be getting the shot. It should be up to the parent. I agree with you, the school has no right to make it mandatory to get this shot. I think it is wrong that if and when it came to a school not letting a child come to school because they dont have the shot. Like we all know its not spread by knobs, sneezing etc. It's not your common cold causes. I fully support you Lori & your daughters.
Dex

Jacksonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 8, 2008
 

Judged:

1

It irks me to no end that "they" wanted to make this a MANDATORY shot. It is my earnest belief that one of the underlying intentions was to use the public as guinea pigs.
concernedmom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 8, 2008
 
Why doesn't the FDA remove the drug from the market until all investigations are finished?

Also, my daughter's pediatrician did not mention that there are people who may have had adverse reactions to this drug. She has received 2 doses already. I think I would have waited before beginning innoculations for her.
Donotuseme

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 8, 2008
 
First of all as a woman, I became very suspicious when this first came out. This vaccine just appeared out of no where. And why should the government force me to make my teenage daughter(s) take a vaccine for something that "might" happen in my daughter's womb. What business is it of their's as to what is going in a woman's womb!!! Seems like females are always the guinea pig for some experimental drug in this country. If it were contagious, that is one thing, but this is about a hypothesis of a symptom that is not in every woman's womb. I find that this vaccine is very untrustworthy. Shame on Merck and the FDA.
S Robinson

Gaithersburg, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 8, 2008
 
It would be could to explain the scientific reasons why the vaccine is probably not the cause of the paralysis described in the article. All too often we hear about horrible effects of drugs but the article never follows up when the claims are not proven. How many years did we hear silicon breast implants caused all sorts of illness but very little was written when it was shown there was no proof for any of the claims. The same is true for the claim that the mercury in vaccines caused autism. Yet when the small amount of mercury in vaccines was removed the rate of autism continued to increase. Many articles on medicines whether pro or con are superficial and most are written to scare people so they will read the rest of the article or watch the rest of the news.
Melanie

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 8, 2008
 
I just found out about these cases and I had to come on here to say something about it, as a concerned parent. My 12 yr. old daughter has had 2 of the three shots, and I am afraid to take her to get the third. In Fact I am not taking her back to get the third. But is there anyone I can Call to discuss this. She isn't having any problems yet. But who's to say that she won't in the future. Now I have to keep a stern eye on her health. I am really disappointed in our government that they would even make it mandatory for our young girls to have this vaccine. I am really scared now. I feel disrepected as a mother who give a damn about her children. All I can do now Is leave it in God's hand and pray that my daughter will be ok and not develop any side affects from this vaccine. I f anyone know of a number or website I can go to, to talk to someone about this please post it on here. Thanks
Lauren

Sterling, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 8, 2008
 
The young girl who had the rare-skin disease, pityriasis lichenoides, as the article stated "was caused by an overactive immune system," isn't that rare. It should be known that this disease is often seen in patients with the lyme bacteria borrelia bburgdorferi.

These girls probably had lyme disease and the vaccine triggered their immune systems to go overboard. All their symptoms, paralysis, headaches and lethargy sound like Guillain-Barre Syndrome...which is also often associated with Lyme disease.

Lyme disease is the number one infectious disease in the country. It's bigger than AIDS. There are 40,000 documented cases of AIDS each year in the US while 200,000 people are diagnosed with Lyme disease every year. These statistics are staggering. Just looking at women, 1 in 50 will develop breast cancer, 1 in 9 will develop an auto-immune disease. Could these auto-immune diseases be caused/triggered by Lyme?

Lyme can present itself in many ways including but not limited to ALS, Alzheimer's, MS, RA, Lupus SLE, Fibromyalgia, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, epilepsy, ADD, ADHD, autism and so many others.
Knights Of Columbus

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 8, 2008
 
With all the documented reports and some rogue reports mixed in, I feel good that my two granddaughters have a clean bill of health. In school, they played it smart when it comes to the conventional "having a good time or having some fun". They have used good judgement. With the statistics becoming more prevalent, my wife and I frequently check on our grandchildren and our sons and daughters are too. As long as we have complete dialogue within the family, we feel more like "family" and I am glad that in a few years, our grandchildren will graduate and that will be the end of the worries.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••